Post your searing hot takes

all sandwiches are technically burgers if they involve meat in some way shape or form
Burgers are based off of Sandwiches. Sandwiches are not based off burgers. Burgers are made distinct from sandwiches because they utilize a hamburg steak SPECIFICALLY, however in the modern day can be defined by their round bread rather than a conventional sandwich's sliced bread or singular longer loaf.

Comedians who make their stand ups into public therapy sessions are really fascinating to me

Richard Pryor for example. Guy's seen some shit in his life and seeing him using this misery to bring others laughter and to articulate it all artistically makes his work so interesting

ocarina of time is not a good game. I have played through about half of it, and if you were to ask me what parts of the game I genuinely enjoyed, I don't think I could give you an answer. maybe it gets better, but it should not take half the game to find enjoyment. i know this term is used a lot, but I'd say a good 30% of the game is a walking simulator. the world is big, and that is not a good thing. Hyrule field is a boring place that, like it or not, you will be spending so much time in. the dungeons are not that good either. the puzzles are basic, the combat is basic, and it is an underwhelming experience at its best. if you want its worst, both water dungeons have you covered. I don't think there is a single game more overated than ocarina of time, and i will die on this hill.

Mayo is actually pretty good on pizza ngl
Gen 4 is the 2nd worst gen with only gen 2 being worse
Suika Game is probably better than your favorite puzzle game
Strawberries are a blight on humanity that we have collectively gaslit ourselves into believing is good
Lemons and oranges slap though, goat fruits

ocarina of time is not a good game. I have played through about half of it, and if you were to ask me what parts of the game I genuinely enjoyed, I don't think I could give you an answer. maybe it gets better, but it should not take half the game to find enjoyment. i know this term is used a lot, but I'd say a good 30% of the game is a walking simulator. the world is big, and that is not a good thing. Hyrule field is a boring place that, like it or not, you will be spending so much time in. the dungeons are not that good either. the puzzles are basic, the combat is basic, and it is an underwhelming experience at its best. if you want its worst, both water dungeons have you covered. I don't think there is a single game more overated than ocarina of time, and i will die on this hill.
Pokemon players are the only people who will complain about a kid's game being simple and easy.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't think there is a single game more overated than ocarina of time, and i will die on this hill.
Hear me out on this one: the original Pokémon Emerald. And yes, I do say "original" because Delta Emerald never became a thing on the 3DS. I want to mention that something being overrated doesn't mean it's actually bad. If anything, the word "overrated" is ironically overrated itself. All of that being said, I can't think of another Pokémon game, or many other games in general, whose public appeal is so highly acclaimed relative to the genuine quality of the actual product. At first glance, this might not be very apparent as to why. Out of all of the "third version" core series Pokémon games, Emerald is probably up there with Platinum as one of the games that improves upon its first two versions the most. It also added the Battle Frontier and a number of other things.

But that's just it- what exactly are those other things? At the time of its release, Emerald was notable for finally granting access to all 386 Pokémon in the franchise. While it's true that some of them were made easier to obtain, they weren't impossible to obtain before. In fact, limited-time events not withstanding, every single Pokémon could already be obtained in at least one of either Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, or Pokémon Colloseum. The sole exception I can think of off the top of my head is Lugia, who for all intents and purposes could be considered the Gale of Darkness version exclusive to Ho-Oh's Colloseum appearance once both games had been released, but even that's a non-factor in the off chance you have or had access to the Navel Rock event item. That brings me into the added problem of Emerald still not fixing many of these other Pokémon's accessibility issues in general, as perhaps more than any other generation you're required to do a ton of trades between games to complete the National PokéDex.

Okay, so if no new Pokémon (in the context of Gen 3's full lineup, anyway) were added, what new stuff aside from the Battle Frontier was added? There was the Faraway Island Mew event, but that's another event. There was some new Move Tutors added, but all of them are either the same Move Tutors as FireRed & LeafGreen (minus Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon) or are locked into the Battle Frontier. There was the addition of Juan and Wallace being made the Champion instead of Steven, but this is functionally more of a side-grade than an actual upgrade since Steven was already in Ruby & Sapphire and Juan's only unique Pokémon on his iteration of the Gym Battle team compared to Wallace are used by other Trainers too. It was the first game to introduce Gym Leader rematches, I suppose, but those aren't unique to Emerald anymore. But hey, at least you can go back and collect the Master Ball this time if you forgot to the first time like in Ruby & Sapphire! ...yeah, that should have been acknowledged in the first two versions anyway.

That just leaves us with the Battle Frontier itself, which honestly isn't even that interesting to me. Preparing for the full extent of what the Frontier provides is agonizingly slow, and all of the facilities are just different takes on something you've already spent the rest of the game doing. I don't want to reward myself for doing a bunch of repetitive battles by... unlocking more repetitive battles. In the games specifically- sorry, single game, because none of the Frontier Brains ever show up in future games- none of them have any sort of established backstory or reason to remember they exist. All in all, I just don't see any appeal from this game if you're looking for something actually new, which is why I think it's the most overrated Pokémon game.

OoT is historically important, but that also means that it can be rough looking back because other games have improved upon its foundation. I would put it at the middle of the 3d Zeldas, separating what I consider the core of that group from the periphery.

The whole Zelda franchise is pretty overrated, every game in the series is at least somewhat flawed, some are deeply flawed. If it wasn't a staple Nintendo franchise and had as such a huge nostalgia bonus, it would absolutely not be as popular as it is today

Hear me out on this one: the original Pokémon Emerald. And yes, I do say "original" because Delta Emerald never became a thing on the 3DS. I want to mention that something being overrated doesn't mean it's actually bad. If anything, the word "overrated" is ironically overrated itself. All of that being said, I can't think of another Pokémon game, or many other games in general, whose public appeal is so highly acclaimed relative to the genuine quality of the actual product. At first glance, this might not be very apparent as to why. Out of all of the "third version" core series Pokémon games, Emerald is probably up there with Platinum as one of the games that improves upon its first two versions the most. It also added the Battle Frontier and a number of other things.

But that's just it- what exactly are those other things? At the time of its release, Emerald was notable for finally granting access to all 386 Pokémon in the franchise. While it's true that some of them were made easier to obtain, they weren't impossible to obtain before. In fact, limited-time events not withstanding, every single Pokémon could already be obtained in at least one of either Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, or Pokémon Colloseum. The sole exception I can think of off the top of my head is Lugia, who for all intents and purposes could be considered the Gale of Darkness version exclusive to Ho-Oh's Colloseum appearance once both games had been released, but even that's a non-factor in the off chance you have or had access to the Navel Rock event item. That brings me into the added problem of Emerald still not fixing many of these other Pokémon's accessibility issues in general, as perhaps more than any other generation you're required to do a ton of trades between games to complete the National PokéDex.

Okay, so if no new Pokémon (in the context of Gen 3's full lineup, anyway) were added, what new stuff aside from the Battle Frontier was added? There was the Faraway Island Mew event, but that's another event. There was some new Move Tutors added, but all of them are either the same Move Tutors as FireRed & LeafGreen (minus Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon) or are locked into the Battle Frontier. There was the addition of Juan and Wallace being made the Champion instead of Steven, but this is functionally more of a side-grade than an actual upgrade since Steven was already in Ruby & Sapphire and Juan's only unique Pokémon on his iteration of the Gym Battle team compared to Wallace are used by other Trainers too. It was the first game to introduce Gym Leader rematches, I suppose, but those aren't unique to Emerald anymore. But hey, at least you can go back and collect the Master Ball this time if you forgot to the first time like in Ruby & Sapphire! ...yeah, that should have been acknowledged in the first two versions anyway.

That just leaves us with the Battle Frontier itself, which honestly isn't even that interesting to me. Preparing for the full extent of what the Frontier provides is agonizingly slow, and all of the facilities are just different takes on something you've already spent the rest of the game doing. I don't want to reward myself for doing a bunch of repetitive battles by... unlocking more repetitive battles. In the games specifically- sorry, single game, because none of the Frontier Brains ever show up in future games- none of them have any sort of established backstory or reason to remember they exist. All in all, I just don't see any appeal from this game if you're looking for something actually new, which is why I think it's the most overrated Pokémon game.
I played emerald, and it was good. I liked the narrative of two ideals being so focused on destroying each other, that they fail to see the flaws of there own. however, it was not perfect. I know "too much water" is a meme, but the fact is that water routes are pretty tedious to go through. every single tile is an encounter space, and there is such a wide area, it can sometimes be difficult to find where you are going. with that in mind, see if you can find my problem with hoens map.
Pokemon Emerald Version Hoenn World Map Map for Game Boy ...

now, this is my only major problem that I can remember. the problem, is that if you were to tell me how much of this game resonates with me, I would not be able to give you a lot. now, while that is mostly a good thing, as it shows a lack of glaring flaws, I don't think many parts of it are particularly good. overall, I consider pokemon emerald a well rounded game, but without a lot of spice. it lacks that oomph. now, granted that some pokemon games might have the wrong kind of oomph, but there is an important distinction between flawless and perfect. pong is a flawless game, but that does not make it perfect. emerald is what I see as the true pokemon experience, but it doesn't exceed at a whole lot.

People rn are complaining that the Princess Peach demo game feels polished to a fault and has almost no mechanical depth and it's just a kids game

And I'm over here thinking "Isn't that literally just what most Kirby games are"

I can't find a Mario game with that, but in Splatoon if you wait in the boss arenas you hear screams. This is because we are stealing their power source back, and the Octarian society is collapsing.

In fact, we aren't even the "good guys" Splatoon 1 and 2.

Splatoon - Disturbing Boss Sounds (also in Splatoon 2) - YouTube
for darker game series, i give you Splatoon and metroid. I don't think any other Nintendo titles are darker than Kirby.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Strawberries are a blight on humanity that we have collectively gaslit ourselves into believing is good
if you intentionally go for shit strawberries off the shelf then you will be met with a shit strawberry taste. for stuff like strawberries, grapes, etc. it's really easy to just buy bad ones, but when you get an actually nice packet with more strawberries than box then they actually taste nice.
Gen 4 is the 2nd worst gen with only gen 2 being worse
have you ever played gens 1 or 9

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)