What do you think of my Nat Dex Doubles Glaceon team?

Nanulak

formerly PokefanKIV
Hey, there! I made a Doubles team revolving around Glaceon, and I’ve grown quite attached and want suggestions! Here it is:

Glaceon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Ice Body
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Alluring Voice
- Hyper Voice
The star of the show, Glaceon is an absolute breaker. If you have Snow and Tailwind (the latter of which optional, actually), it can sweep easily. It has that Ice Tera Choice Specs Blizzard to scare the opponent, as well as HP Fighting to deal with Rocks and Steels, Alluring Voice for confusion/Fairy damage, and Hyper Voice for more spreading around. As well as Ice Body for passive recovery, and it’s all set

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Blizzard
Ninetales is one of the two start-up Pokémon. The start-up Pokémon are the Pokémon you send out first. Anyway, it boasts an Icy Rock Snow Warning, capable of setting Snow for a good long while. As well as Aurora Veil to help with survivability and Freeze-Dry for Water super effectiveness, Moonblast for strong Fairy STAB, and Blizzard to spread strong icy pain, it’s quite annoying to deal with

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Hyper Voice
- Heat Wave
- Dragon Pulse
An excellent Pokémon, it can even be used to juke the opponent into targeting it, dismissing Glaceon. It’s the second start-up Pokémon, and boasts a Tailwind to raise Speed. It also starts up with Intimidate, allowing it to drop Attack, and then a very strong combo of Aerilate and Hyper Voice, threatening the opponent and ignoring substitutes. As well as Heat Wave and Dragon Pulse to spread the pain, it’s quite a threatening Pokémon

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Hydro Pump
While a support Blastoise is… unorthodox, to say the least, it’s actually quite impressive. It has Follow Me to direct attacks away from Glaceon (this actually saved Glaceon in a battle one time, letting me net two important KOs), Haze to get rid of stat boosts (such as Extreme Evoboost Baton Passed onto Stored Power Glaceon), and Rapid Spin to get rid of hazards. It also has Hydro Pump for that little damage

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
One of my alternate attackers, it makes use of its Scarf quite effectively. Having EQ to spread around that damage (perfect if paired with Salamence), Knock Off for Dark damage and getting rid of items, U-Turn for momentum, and Outrage for strong damage. Intimidate is also perfect, as well, letting it nerf Pokémon.

Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mighty Cleave
- Zen Headbutt
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
Iron Boulder is another alternate attacker, and one with a vengeance. It can Swords Dance, and then sweep with Sacred Sword, Zen Headbutt, and Mighty Cleave (which breaks through those Protects which are common nowadays). Not to mention Quark Speed, it can be a real pain to deal with

Suggestions and criticisms are always open! So are alternate Pokémon for Lando-T and Boulder, if they wouldn’t work too well. Thx for helping!

Proof it can be used effectively: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexdoubles-2080678757

Last edited:
I am going to be honest with you. This team has a couple of useful mons, but overall, the team is not viable enough to break the 1500 barrier. Just by taking a glance at your team, I can tell you have no real experience with the Doubles metagame. I highly recommend that you read this article, particularly in the "Concepts" section. You don't have read further since the metagame have changed quite a bit since the release of the article.

First of all, I'll tell you which mons are actually viable from your team and the changes you can make to make them more viable.
  • Mega Salamence: Mence is interesting in that it can be fully be a physical attacker, a special attacker or a mixed attacker. It is almost always a Tailwind setter. Mence as well as many mons in a Doubles Team requires the move Protect for positioning and momentum.
    • Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite Ability: Aerilate
      Jolly Nature
      - Double-Edge
      - Breaking Swipe
      - Tailwind / Dragon Dance
      - Protect
    • Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
      Jolly Nature
      - Hyper Voice
      - Draco Meteor
      - Tailwind
      - Protect
    • Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
      EVs: 124 Atk / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
      Hasty Nature
      - Double-Edge
      - Hyper Voice
      - Tailwind
      - Protect

Unfortunately, not all of your mons are viable for the top threats in the metagame. I'll provide some alternatives for you mons.
  • There are couple of reasons you would never want to put Landorus-T and Mence in the same team. The first reason is due to their move, Intimidate. While the ability itself is valuable in Doubles, it can be counterproductive against a team that has mons like Kingambit (which usually use Defiant as its ability). The lesser reason is due to their 4x Ice type weakness. If you really want a mon with Ground coverage, you can use Volcanion (w/ Assault Vest) or Glimmora (w/ Power Herb). Of course, Ground type coverage is good to have, but I wouldn't say its always necessary to have in a ND DOU team.
  • The premier Fake Out users of the meta are Rillaboom, Incineroar, and Mega Kangaskhan. I would recommend using Rillaboom for your team. For reasons mentioned earlier, Incineroar wouldn't be ideal since you will be only stacking up Intimidate. You won't be able to use Mega Kangaskhan because you already have Mega Salamence. Thus, Rillaboom would be the premier choice to replace Blastoise. If you really want to use a Follow Me user, you could use Ogerpon-Wellspring, a more offensive redirector, or Jirachi, a better defensive redirector.
  • Snow/Hail is simply very difficult to use. You'll have to get creative. Many players may suggest that you can use Iron Bundle (w/ Booster Energy) to ensure that you can use Blizzard; it is, after all, a very fast mon. You could also probably use Kyurem-B (w/ Loaded Dice); the additional bulk from Snow and Aurora Veil will ensure that it will take less damage and be able to setup. Of course, you would have to watch out for Flutter Mane since you would have two Dragons in the team. Glaceon is simply not the best mon to take advantage of Snow/Hail.
  • Last suggestion before closing up. You team (as it is now) will have an extremely difficult time against Mega Metagross and Flutter Mane. You would want a mon that can easily OHKO them. In this case, that mon would be Marshadow. You could alternatively use Kingambit to check both these threats as well. As good as Iron Boulder sounds, it doesn't do so well against the meta's top threats.

ND Doubles Community is always willing to help, so if you got further questions, feel free to ask at our discord channel. You can ask questions here at Smogon as well, but don't expect me to give an immediate response. I hope this feedback was useful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)