Inheritance Inheritance (Magic Bounce and Good as Gold Banned!)

3D0A17E9-5155-417F-B37D-F586267872A3.gif

First post on my new account.
I made this set with Tyranitar-Lycanroc
Tell me if it’s good or not.

06C98A1E-FAEE-43D0-8609-4D98FCCA2772.png

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

I figured Tough Claws plus Accelerock stab would be good on Tyranitar’s attack and I just figured out that Lycanrock-dusk gets sucker. If you’re able to get a swords dance off it would do massive damage even with it’s low bp. Play Rough is for fighting types but it might not matter since he’s slow.

Usually I don’t make my own teams because I’m new to competitive and as I said this is my first post on this account so I’m relatively new to this stuff.
Feel free to send some criticism just please don’t dog on me too hard it would hurt my widdle feewings. :psytear:

Last edited:
73EBC197-7BA5-47C3-89C1-CBE9B785642C.gif

Yet another post featuring another pseudo.
Haven’t tested it yet but it seems fine in theory:
E50883D3-33A8-4856-9E22-7BB334A12ABC.png

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake/Anything
- Poison Jab

Step 1: Belly Drum

Step 2: Eat Sitrus Berry

Step 3: Get to Plus Six

STEP 4 SPAM MACH PUNCH

STEP 5
(wait-step 5?) GET OHKO’ed BY A FAIRY WHOS FASTER THAN YOU (aww FU-)

Yeah so, Poison Jab is for fairy types but I would imagine I’m not gonna outspeed many fairy types.
As I said I haven’t tested this set yet so I don’t know if that’s the case yet.

(BTW if anyones wondering my inheritor is Magmortar. Yeah, they get these move in their move pool for some reason)

So the plan is to just catch the opponent by surprise because really, who’s gonna know Magmortar gets Belly Drum??? And who knows maybe if you’re lucky you might get a burn from flame body? I’m not sure but it seems like this set would be pretty fun.

Last edited:
Look at this horrible team:
https://pokepast.es/e2454fb1f3e138c7
I’ve already covered:
  • Tyranitar/Lycanroc-Dusk
And:
  • Kommo-o/Magmotar
So I’ll Just get to the new stuff.

20393414-AFE4-4FB5-9BC9-1469A8C4AD03.gif
Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Dragon
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Crunch/Ice Fang/Fire Fang/Thunder Fang

Haha, NO coverage for fairy types, but at least we can set up a D-Dance, go for outrage and hope that nothing gets in our way right?
I don’t think I need to explain why this is bad. :worrywhirl:

Garchomp finally gets the Dragon Dance setup he deserves. Earthquake is for steel types who switch in on outrage, could also run dragon claw but there’s no point in rocking a mediocre dragon move that doesn’t have any gimmicks or anything like Scale Shot. The only thing this set has running for it is “Double stab outrage hits hard” if I’m being honest, I thought this set would be cool but I never have a chance to actually use it. The lum berry is for when it gets confused from Outrage so it can use it again the plan was for it to Dragon Dance, Use Outrage, Use Outrage again KO’ing all six mons. But it might never be able to.

D2C4A593-EE5D-4D2A-88C3-F5D72C1E97D2.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mega Launcher
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Aura Sphere

This set is mainly for just revenge kills there’s really not anything too special about this.

Mega Launcher Boosts: Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere and Sludge wave is there too, I guess.

737680F8-EE48-48D0-89FD-2B7A2F0D13BB.gif

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Filter
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Temper Flare
I don’t remember if Tera is allowed
this meta but if it isn’t this sucks ass.

Shift Gear’s for a nice little boost to speed and attack, and the weakness policy is to take advantage of Revavroom’s Filter Ability.

Basically, it’s what you would run on Necrozma, and Necrozma Dusk-Mane. Tera Fire Is so Metagross here can dodge burns while also boosting Temper Flare. Im running Temper Flare because of Corviknight, (with ALL of my being I hate Corviknight) His brother, Skarmory and other reasons. As I said if Tera isn’t legal this set is useless.

2938E04F-22FC-4200-888A-3B8A1B6BC4AE.gif

Goodra-Hisui @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Last but certainly not least: Goodra! :psyglad:
(Hisuian.)
This… Isn’t bad actually.
Typical Regen-Vest mon, boring sure, but it gets the job done.. unlike other members. Not naming any names. (Garchomp)- Nice switch-in to special moves, good typing, big shell. What more could you want? Hydrapple has GOT to be the BEST mom from Goodra (hisuian) To inherit from it gets Gyro Ball for some reason, it’s got, Earthquake, Hydro Pump, Body Press, Heavy Slam, Fickle Beam but the most important out of all of this is Regenerator. So yeah some of the picks are good but the rest of the time is pretty garbage. I got a few wins because of Kommo-o/Magmortar but that’s about it. I don’t know how to improve this team I mainly just made it because I thought it would be fun.

pannu

MEDKIT CUZ SHES HEALABLE
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I have some news!

First off, Clefable has stepping down from the council. Thank you for helping all this time.

In their place, please welcome Dunfan and BijouMode to the council!

Now for the real juicy stuff

VoteDon VascuspannuanaconjaDunfanBijouModeRESULT
DroughtBANBANBANBANBAN5-0 BAN

Drought is Banned From Inheritance!
And Torkoal is Unbanned!
:ninetales:
Sun has been contentious in Inheritance since the beginning. Even after Torkoal was banned, Ninetales!Iron Moth was still a very dangerous and hard to answer Pokemon. Be it Nasty Plot sets or Specs, it could blow through resists with sheer power and coverage. For example:

+2 252 SpA Charcoal Iron Moth Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Goodra-Hisui in Sun: 291-343 (79.9 - 94.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

It even has options for Pokemon like AV Goodra and Gouging Fire in Psyshock and Scorching Sands respectively. With these traits alone it could be called broken, but even with Ninetales measly support movepool you could use it as the donor for dedicated sun setters for full weather teams, with its weather being mostly uncontested thanks to Drizzle being banned, which enabled Chlorophyll sweepers, Protosythesis breakers and all manner of Fire spam that could overwhelm even the most well prepared teams. Between all these factors Its clear the ability is too much for the tier, which is why is banned. Torkoal was banned only because of Drought, so it will be unbanned too.

Now things we are currently keeping an eye on:

:kyurem:
MGLO Kyurem is the most consistent progress maker in the game. With the rocks weakness gone, it can easily leverage its crazy natural bulk to bully everything with BoltBeam and Knock Off, Focus Punch being there to KO the AV Regens by itself. SFLO sets are also super scary, only having like 3 real switchins and only having the issue of being weak to rocks. Its prone to getting out-offense'd, although it can still use its great bulk to at least trade.

:Comfey:
Even though every Triage inheritor has 3 moves set in stone (Dkiss, CM and Stored Power), they can use the last moveslot and EV spreads to finnese what little checks they have. Synthesis give them a lot of longevity, and Sub can protect them from status and, in the case of Primarina and with max defense investment, weak Iron Heads from the likes of Corviknight and GoodraH. Offensive counterplay is a bit dire too; Psychic Surge is a bit limited because Indeedee, the only donor for the ability, has lacking coverage and no pivot move, and offensive pokemon that resist Draining Kiss are few and far between. If it ends up coming down to slotting poison coverage in random pokemon Comfey will probably get the boot.

Also we updated the samples!!

tagging dhelmise to implement thank you

Last edited:

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A Comprehensive Guide to Inheritance
Oftentimes when I ask people to try Inheritance, they'll say to me “sounds fun, but It’s too big brained for me”. And I can see that, the moveset and ability restrictions are strange on the surface and hard to visualize since what you see on the movepool of the pokemon that you want to use isn't what you actually can use, and your ability often forces entirely different movepools. It requires a certain way of thinking to understand the full potential and limits of the tier.

To combat this, I’ve written this post to teach people how I build my own sets from scratch and what tricks and methods I use to do so. I have also included a list of some threads to keep in mind when first entering the tier that shape how it looks like. This post is meant to serve as a full introduction to Inheritance, how to create new sets and a glimpse into what the tier looks like.

1) What is Inheritance?

It’s important to first understand what are the rules of Inheritance. Inheritance is a metagame where pokemon can “inherit” the movepool and abilities of another pokemon, replacing their own. Here’s a visual example of this:

What this results in is a tier where every pokemon has almost endless possibilities, but you can’t just give everything the best moves and abilities, so it plays closer to AAA than Balanced Hackmons. For example The Brambler™ over here has to run a mediocre ability like Infiltrator in order to use the amazing utility moves Bramblin learns. Some are more blessed than others in this regard, but you’ll have to find that out by yourself.

2) How to Build Inheritance Sets

With how many possibilities each pokemon has, it can be daunting to try and start building a team from scratch without prior knowledge. It is not impossible, however. I’ll demonstrate what I do when I build sets for this tier with a couple of examples.

First, I'll pick the Inheritor I wanna use. For example, Sneasler

:sv/sneasler:

Its fast, its strong and it has a good typing. I wanna use it as a Choice Band pivot, to click strong Close Combats and click U-turn on its checks.

With our inheritor defined, the second step is to define what moves do I want my pokemon to have. Well, as I said earlier, I want it to click Close Combat, so lets look up Close Combat on the builder to find the best donor for it:

Well that doesn't narrow it very much. Let's add U-turn to the search:

That's still a lot of potential donors. How else can I narrow the search?

Hmm... Having a secondary stab could be nice. Something like, Gunk Shot:

That's better. Now we can actually look through the few remaining to see if they have an interesting ability or moves we might want.

Ooh! This guy has Tough Claws! Let's see what else it has.

It also has Knock Off! That's amazing!

Well now that I have the moveset I wanted, let me show you a cool trick: Click the Import/Export button and type the name of the inheritor you wanted in the first place, in parenthesis, and then click Save:

It is important that you make sure that the inheritor's name (the "(sneasler)" part) has a space separating it from the name of the donor (Perrserker in this case) and the “@”, as otherwise this trick won't work

Inheritance doesn't use the nickname at all (the game deduces your donor based on your set), so I can just nick it whatever I want

Now with the moveset defined, I can properly EV Sneasler since now I can see the actual stats of what I’ll send out in battle.

And we have our final set!

Lets do another example:

I want a really big physical wall. i want to use Intimidate on an enormous pokemon. That new Hariyama form that's like metallic has a really high HP; that seems pretty good

:sv/iron hands:

yeah, that guy

Unlike say, Ting-Lu, it's not weak to U-Turn and has few weaknesses in general, which is great.

So of course I want Intimidate as my ability, but I also want to have some form of reliable recovery. But on the builder i can't just look for every move that recovers HP, it just looks for a pokemon that learns all of them and it returns nothing.

Well there’s a simple trick to get around that. You can look up pokemon that learn recovery moves via the /ds command in PS! by typing “/ds recovery”. You can also search pokemon that have specific moves and abilities with this, and you search for multiple things by separating each search term with comas. In this example we were looking for pokemon with intimidate and recovery moves, so we type into chat “/ds intimidate, recovery”:

I also do want any fighting STAB. I remember both Arcanines learning Close Combat, so they may learn more fighting moves. Let's check out the Hisuian one first.

Wow! This guy has Will-O-Wisp and Stealth Rocks! thats pretty cool! What about STAB for our Big Man?:

Oh.

Well now we have to do a compromise. Close Combat does real damage, but lowers our defenses and it has 8 PP, and Double Kick doesn't have either of those issues but it deals half the damage. I think this Man is Big enough to get by most of the time with a measly Double Kick, so I'd go with that. However, either choice is fine and valid.

We do the Import Set Trick as shown above and we have our big physical defensive wall!

One last example:

:sv/ogerpon wellspring:

I think Ogerpon-Wellspring’s typing is interesting, so i wanna build some setup set with that. I want dual STABs on it, so Power Whip and Liquidation:

Oh. Well what about-

Hmm. What do I do now?

Most types have multiple moves that are worth using as main STABs on offensive pokemon, and a good way to look for them is Smeargle!

:bw/smeargle:

Although it is banned, Smeargle does learn every move in the game, so we can use it to look up every attack of any given typing with ease

Like so.

And here’s the results when looking for physical grass attacks too, for reference

Now, some of these moves are less distributed than others, so they're easy to check if the pokemon that learn it can be of any use to us. At this point its also good to just look for a single move instead of multiple, since there's so many move combos that we could use.

For example, Leaf Blade:

Hmm, Gallade. I like Sharpness Leaf Blade. What else does he got?

Great!

And just like that we have our set!

3) Threads to Keep in Mind When Building Teams

Now that you can build your own sets I'd be good to know about some of the common threads and strategies that you might lose to at team preview should you not prepare for them.

• RegenVesters

:sv/goodra hisui:
(:cyclizar:)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Draco Meteor / Overheat / Iron Head / Dragon Tail

Hisuian Goodra has been one of the most common pokemon on ladder since HOME, and this is its flagship set. AV GoodraH is FAT. It can take extremely strong special attacks such as Specs Mega Launcher Dark Pulses from Darkrai with relative ease and use the opportunity to pivot, use Knock Off, or try to remove hazards with Rapid Spin. Its huge bulk and lack of x4 weaknesses makes running fighting or ground coverage on your special attackers not as effective as you'd hope. Other good RegenVesters in the tier include Kalosian Goodra and Snorlax, all of which are similarly bulky.

:sv/zapdos:
(:persian alola:)
:sv/gholdengo:
(:chimecho:)
:sv/kyurem:
(:rampardos:)
:sv/darkrai:
(:clawitzer:)
:sv/iron moth:
(:clefairy:)
Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Icy Wind / Chilling Water
Gholdengo @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Knock Off
Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
Darkrai @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn
Iron Moth @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam / Calm Mind

However, they all have some weaknesses in common. If they can’t break a Substitute with Knock Off they're usually unable to stop foes from subbing on them, so bulky Substitute users like Persian-A!Zapdos can exploit them with ease, Zapdos in particular having pretty good matchups against most Unaware pokemon thanks to its typing and BoltBeam coverage. They’re also easily spinblocked despite having Knock Off, so bulky Ghost-Types like Levitate Gholdengo can prevent them from spinning and enable hazard stacking as a way to force through them. Mixed attackers such as SFLO Kyurem can just blow past through them with Focus Punch, and special attacking pivots like Clawitzer!Darkrai can also use them to pivot out into physical breakers like the Sneasler shown above. Lastly, they HATE getting their AV Knocked, so special attackers with Knock Off like Clefairy!Iron Moth can lure them so that pokemon like the aforementioned Darkrai can click their stabs and break past with brute strength.

• Unaware
:sv/suicune:
(:quagsire:)
:sv/great tusk:
(:skeledirge:)
:sv/ting lu:
(:clefable:)
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Recover
- Spikes
- Toxic
Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Moonlight
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Unaware pokemon find themselves in many team’s defensive cores because of the bevy of support moves their donors have, as well as serving as fantastic blanket checks to most forms of setup. Quagsire/Clodsire inheritors have access to every hazard barring Sticky Web as well as Toxic and other goodies like Encore, Clefable inheritors have Knock Off, Stealth Rock and a lot of coverage, and Skeledirge inheritors have Will-O-Wisp, Night Shade for consistent damage, and Torch Song, which they can use to potentially become Wincons. Common users of this ability include Great Tusk, Suicune, and Ting-Lu, although many more can effectively be used.

:sv/great tusk:
(:ursaring:)
:sv/zapdos galar:
(:decidueye hisui:)
:sv/urshifu rapid strike:
(:inkay:)
:sv/ogerpon hearthflame:
(:ogerpon hearthflame:)
:sv/iron crown:
(:venomoth:)
Great Tusk @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance
Zapdos-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Triple Arrows
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Liquidation
- Taunt
- Substitute
Ogerpon-Hearthflame (F) @ Hearthflame Mask
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel
- Play Rough
Iron Crown @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 21 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic Noise
- Morning Sun
- Bug Buzz

Because of how common Unaware is as a whole, it’s generally recommended to always run a damage boosting ability so that muscling through Unaware pokemon becomes feasible. Guts Big Donphan, for example, can 2HKO both Suicune and defensive variants of itself after one layer of Spikes at +0. This is not always needed however. Decidueye-H!Zapdos-G, with the help of Triple Arrows and its amazing typing both defensively and offensively, can still beat Unaware pokemon with the help of Substitute to avoid getting status’d. They hate getting poisoned as well, so Toxic Spikes support, something a fellow Unaware user like Suicune can provide, also does wonders on the matchup. Taunt also shuts them down, something Contrary Urshifu-RS uses to its advantage. Mold Breaker pokemon like Ogerpon-H can ignore the ability altogether and boost past. Lastly, Psychic Noise and Stored Power can both be used to break past them, Iron Crown being the premier user of the former and the latter being used in all sorts of special setup sweepers.

• Clawitzer!Darkrai
:sv/darkrai:
Darkrai @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn

Specs Clawitzer!Darkrai is a fast, strong and dangerous breaker in the meta, and requires consideration because of all of this. It will almost always pack Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere and U-Turn, and a coverage move of choice between Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam and Flash Cannon. It is a very simple, but very effective mon, being able to OHKO or 2HKO everything barring very bulky resists or special walls. The huge boost from Mega Launcher means this set eclipses any other potential Darkrai set, despite how inflexible this set is.

:sv/goodra hisui:
(:Illumise:)
:sv/fezandipiti:
:sv/primarina:
(:comfey:)
:sv/walking wake:
(:dragalge:)
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Draco Meteor
Iron Hands @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Roost
- Encore
Fezandipiti @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Recover
Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Stored Power
Walking Wake @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic Spikes
- Flip Turn

Darkrai and others like it are part of the reason why RegenVest pokemon are so common in balance structures. They can take Dark Pulses fine, and fighting resists like Gholdengo can take Aura Sphere in case the regenvest isweak to it. Keep in mind that they NEED their Assault Vest intact, or otherwise taking the Dark Pulses becomes impossible long term. Other options that don’t require Regenerator include Iron Hands, Fezandipiti, Alolan Muk and specially defensive Ting-Lu to a lesser extent, who can all stomach a Dark Pulse with ease. On the offensive side Triage inheritors like Primarina are amazing answers since they can take its main moves and KO it with priority Draining Kiss. Choice Scarfers like Walking Wake, as well as naturally faster pokemon like Barraskewda and Deoxys-S can be used to revenge kill it as well.

• Triage Users
:sv/primarina:
(:comfey:)
Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Triage
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Stored Power

Comfey inheritors are potentially dangerous wincons thanks to Triage Draining Kiss as well as access to Stored Power and utility like Synthesis, Taunt, and Substitute. Primarina is the most common Inheritor, but Hatterene can be seen occasionally as well. With bulk investment and whatever their last move is they can find setup opportunities and sweep unprepared teams.

:sv/snorlax:
(:mienshao:)
:sv/deoxys speed:
(:indeedee:)
:sv/iron crown:
(:latios:)
Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Recover
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic
Snorlax @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Fake Out
Deoxys-Speed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick
- Healing Wish
Iron Crown @ Covert Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 21 Atk
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Psychic Noise
- Ice Beam

Counterplay to them depends on their last move, but it can still play around them. Theyre very weak to Toxic, so Unaware pokemon like Suicune can try to Toxic them. If they have Substitute, slotting a poison move like Sludge Bomb is very useful to break the sub. Slotting Poison coverage on specially bulky pokemon is a pretty good strategy in general to deal with them, AV Snorlax being a great example of this. More offensive answers include Psychic Surge Deoxys-S, who shuts down Draining Kiss, and Iron Crown, who thanks to its typing is guaranteed to win the Calm Mind war regardless of set. In general, its good to keep in mind that all these sets are pretty weak without a lot of investment and setup, non Fairy weak pokemon like Landorus-T can hit them to prevent them from setting up if they come in on them.

4) Donor Reveal Clause and the Information It Gives You

Lastly, a very important thing to keep in mind is that the donor is always revealed on switchin. This gives you a lot of information on what their full sets are and affects the metagame a lot both in the builder and in battle. For example:

The Urshifu on the left has Crawdaunt as its donor, so I can assume that it has adaptability, and its gonna try to hit me very hard, so I should switch in my bulky Intimidate pokemon to take its hits. The Urshifu on the right on the other hand has Inkay as its donor, so its probably a set using Contrary. Those often carry Taunt, but they’re not that strong right out the bat, so my bulky Gholdengo might be able to 1v1 it.

Another example is Clefairy vs Clefable. Many pokemon can run both effectively, and what shows as a donor comes down to the ability: Clefable has Unaware and Clefairy doesn't. When multiple pokemon could be the donor, the game shows whichever one is first in the National Dex, and since the relevant moves they learn are almost the same, when you use Magic Guard It’ll show Clefairy and when you’re using Unaware It’ll show Clefable. However, their movepools aren't completely identical. There’s a few moves that willl make the game display Clefable as your donor by running them, even if you’re using Magic Guard.

By using the /ms command, we can see what moves Clefable learns that Clefairy doesn’t by putting a “!” on Clefairy. From those four moves, the most likely to see use is Focus Blast, so if you see for example, a Thundurus-Incarnate with Clefable listed as its donor, you can assume it wont be using Unaware, and that instead its running Focus Blast with Magic Guard

Inheritance unique restrictions when building is what makes it so great and kinda difficult to get into. I hope the tricks shown in this post help you better understand the tier and allow you to truly delve into this fantastic tier.

Thanks to Dunfan for helping me write some of part 3, as well as the entire Inheritance Council and everyone who helped me by reviewing this before posting.

BijouMode

sippin' tea in yo hood
is a Tiering Contributor
So, after the Don made his fabled “How to Inherit: A Guide to Inheritance”, when he asked me to make a section on hazard stack, I knew I had to make a post worthy of his praise, so here you have:

A Comprehensive Guide to Inheritance
Part Two: Hazard Stacking

:sv/corviknight:
(:clodsire:)
:sv/gouging fire:
(:Arcanine-Hisui:)
:sv/annihilape:
(:garganacl:)
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
Impish Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Recover
- Iron Head
Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Fire
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Crash
- Morning Sun
Iron Hands @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Moonlight
Annihilape @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Recover

Hazard Stack in Inheritance is one of the most potent strategies in the format and you must make sure to be adept in both utilizing it and countering it when playing. To build hazard stack, one must begin with the hazard setting core and generally these tend to be more defensive pokemon such as Clodsire!Corviknight with Spikes and Arcanine-H!Gouging Fire with Stealth Rock. Other potential Stealth Rock and Spikes donors include Gargancl or Clefable, while more spike-stacking inheritors include defensive staples such as Annihilape and Iron Hands.

:sv/annihilape:
(:garganacl:)
(:gholdengo:)
Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
Annihilape @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Recover
Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good As Gold
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

To stop your opponent from removing your spikes and rocks, you need to have a ghost type to switch in on their Rapid Spin and the most viable ghosts to use are Gholdengo and Annihilape. Normally, Gholdengo runs Chimecho as a donor to gain access to Levitate, however it can keep its original moveset and ability to block Defog while Annihilape can inherit from Garganacl, gaining its powerful Purifying Salt ability, granting it a complete immunity to status conditions and the removal of its Ghost-type weakness. However, RegenVesters can threaten out Gholdengo, either with techs like overheat or Temper Flare, or just threatening them out with raw damage output, for example, with Knock Off from powerful dark types such as Roaring Moon or Kingambit, nevertheless, these strategies don't work for Annihilape.

:sv/corviknight:
(:talonflame:)
:sv/enamorus-therian:
(:espeon:)
(:brambleghast:)
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Brave Bird / Will-O-Wisp
Enamorus-Therian @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun
Gholdengo @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Rapid Spin

On the other hand, if you are attempting to beat hazard stacking, there are 3 main methods: Using Defog, Magic Bounce and Tidy Up. Defog is mainly used with Talonflame!Corviknight, Talonflame donating its Flame Body, Will-O-Wisp, and U-turn as utility, however, as mentioned before, this can be blocked by Gholdengo’s Good as Gold. Magic Bounce is usually inherited from Espeon by Enamorus-Therian and it can completely stop hazards going up entirely, however, this requires perfect prediction to block hazards, as it cannot remove hazards from the field once they are on. Finally, Tidy Up is a way for more offensive teams to remove hazards, with the main donor being Cincinno, also giving the inheritor a powerful offensive ability in Technician. However, a fourth way is by using a specific Bramblin!Gholdengo set, with Rapid Spin, Shadow Ball, and Strength Sap to pressure the Ghost-type spinblockers and remove hazards.

:sv/kyurem:
:sv/fezandipiti:
Kyurem @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Focus Punch
Fezandipiti @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Psychic
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

However, there are more ways to beat hazard stack than removing the hazards, you can just ignore them. With this strategy, it’s important to use Pokemon with abilities that avoid or ignore hazards, such as Clefable!Kyurem, which uses its Magic Guard, or Chimecho!Fezandipiti, with its Levitate. Also, a major way of avoiding hazard damage is the item Heavy Duty Boots, which can be used on bulky walls such as the previously mentioned Arcanine-Hisui!Gouging Fire, and even on more offensive Pokemon. A combination of these strategies can be used to make a team completely immune to hazards but implementing each of these strategies will ultimately improve how you play vs hazard stack in Inheritance.

In conclusion, I think that in the future Inheritance, now that Drought has been banned, can enter its Golden Age, where every playstyle can flourish, and you don’t have to get +2 252 SpA Charcoal Iron Moth Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Goodra-Hisui in Sun: 291-343 (79.9 - 94.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes.​

Last edited:
Been a hot minute but I'm back to cooking up some goofy sets >:)

:sv/zoroark-hisui:
:zoroark-hisui: / :masquerain:
Zoroark-Hisui @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Normal
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sticky Web
- Hyper Beam
- U-turn

So, I wanted a ghost type sticky webber, and a fast one is Zoroark-H- NEAT right? However, if you notice, most webs users' movepools are really miserable and their abilities even more so. But there is ONE sticky webber that has (almost) everything we want. Masquerain.

Now, Masquerain first things first is the only sticky webber with access to Shadow Ball, a nice STAB move to sling off. We also get access to Uturn so that things like Ting-Lu don't razzle dazzle us. Intimidate is also a great ability that gives us a little bit of utility and staying power. Lastly no good Normal STAB (weather ball doesn't count), so I instead slapped Hyper Beam on it so that it can last ditch nuke those people abusing Ursaluna because it still isn't rebanned???? :blobastonished:

Is this set good? Eh. But is it funny? Hell yeah >:)

Last edited:
Been a hot minute but I'm back to cooking up some goofy sets >:)

:sv/zoroark-hisui:
:zoroark-hisui: / :masquerain:
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sticky Web
- Hyper Beam
- U-turn

So, I wanted a ghost type sticky webber, and a fast one is Zoroark-H- NEAT right? However, if you notice, most webs users' movepools are really miserable and their abilities even more so. But there is ONE sticky webber that has (almost) everything we want. Masquerain.

Now, Masquerain first things first is the only sticky webber with access to Shadow Ball, a nice STAB move to sling off. We also get access to Uturn so that things like Ting-Lu don't razzle dazzle us. Intimidate is also a great ability that gives us a little bit of utility and staying power. Lastly no good Normal STAB (weather ball doesn't count), so I instead slapped Hyper Beam on it so that it can last ditch nuke those people abusing Ursaluna because it still isn't rebanned???? :blobastonished:

Is this set good? Eh. But is it funny? Hell yeah >:)
Think this is just outclassed by :Zoroark-Hisui:!:Spidops:

Ability: Insomnia
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Sticky Web
- Memento / U-Turn / Toxic Spikes

If you're running webs, it's probably a HO team, which would benefit from additional hazards (ie. spike, tspike). Hazard leads always run taunt to prevent opposing hazards. Memento blocks spin for a turn, saving Gholdengo (or your spinblocker of choice) from an unnecessary hit. U-Turn is useful to scout Magic Bounce.

Problem w/ webs HO right now
  • :primarina:!:comfey:
  • magic bounce is pretty common.
  • matchups w/ SD + Unburden :Landorus-Therian: / :Zapdos-Galar: are almost auto-L's.
  • you need base 92+ speed mons, otherwise :Landorus-Therian: probably cucks you. and even then, you have :Thundurus-Therian: at 101 speed.
  • to a lesser extent, you need to have 108+ speed mons, otherwise offensive :Deoxys-Speed: still outspeeds.
It's a fun playstyle, but too many holes to be considered a high-level team archetype. (btw, this is not at all an attack on your post Mywookiearmy, i'm just sharing some thoughts)

Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Sticky Web

If you're running webs, it's probably a HO team, which would benefit from additional hazards (ie. spike, tspike). Hazard leads always run taunt to prevent opposing hazards. Memento blocks spin for a turn, saving Gholdengo (or your spinblocker of choice) from an unnecessary hit. U-Turn is useful to scout Magic Bounce.

• matchups w/ SD + Unburden :Landorus-Therian: / :Zapdos-Galar: are almost auto-L's.
  • you need base 92+ speed mons, otherwise :Landorus-Therian: probably cucks you. and even then, you have :Thundurus-Therian: at 101 speed.
  • to a lesser extent, you need to have 108+ speed mons, otherwise offensive :Deoxys-Speed: still outspeeds.
It's a fun playstyle, but too many holes to be considered a high-level team archetype. (btw, this is not at all an attack on your post Mywookiearmy, i'm just sharing some thoughts)
It did look like Mywookiearmy wanted STAB Shadow Ball for offensive pressure, and Zoroark-H already blocks Rapid Spin. Memento could shut down Mortal Spin and Defog, though.

It did look like Mywookiearmy wanted STAB Shadow Ball for offensive pressure, and Zoroark-H already blocks Rapid Spin. Memento could shut down Mortal Spin and Defog, though.
A hazard lead is not meant to apply offensive pressure, especially not in lieu of preventing opposing hazards. And let's be honest, Shadow Ball on H-Zoro isn't applying any pressure to the pokemon that would be switching into it.

You're right about Memento tho. I forgot bc I always use Deo-S for Webs lead, so it's useful there.

Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Sticky Web

Hell yeah you're good :) was just sharing a goofy idea I had for a set with Masquerain offering unique tools no other webs user offers alongside Zoro-H. Love to see the insight though on why Webs is having it rough rn, I'm a stall player so I usually just laugh whenever I see a webs lead lmao.

Enough time has passed. Let’s talk about THAT stall team.

https://pokepast.es/f9d03931a72208c3

Obviously, this meta is very offense and balance heavy, as there are no shortage of stall breaking tools. For this reason, building full stall and covering everything defensively is rather challenging. Yet after lengthy building effort and play testing, this team has achieved much success on the ladder, with variants inspiring many glowing commendations from opponents such as “Yeah I’m not playing against this”, “Why are you like this?”, “Your a stalling piece of shit fr fr”, and even “I hate you”. Your frustration and many forfeits and even imitations all speak volumes to the team’s efficacy. I love you all. <3

General gameplan:

The team is fairly straightforward to pilot. Identify the opponent’s threats at team preview. Aim to get hazards up after scouting for Magic Bounce, or use Ting-Lu to bounce back their hazards. Status everything possible with Gholdengo, especially their hazard removal.

Ting-Lu and Toxapex are your main physical walls, with Gholdengo and Gapdos supporting with utility and good synergistic typings.

Chansey blanket checks most special attackers, minus potential Fighting coverage, Knock Off, Psychic Noise + hazard pressure or Psyshock. Sylveon covers special attackers with Fighting coverage and Knock Off, and Ting-Lu and Gholdengo ease pressure from dangerous Psychics.

Toxapex has become my most consistent team lead, as its defensive typing with Levitate is amazingly durable. It is also fairly Taunt-proof and removes items reliably, while not fearing Knock Off itself. In the common situation where the opponent leads with a hazard setter or status user, Ting-Lu loves to switch in to bounce back and punish the opponent’s carelessness.

Suffocate Regenerators with Gholdengo by switching in on them so Regenerator won’t work, statusing them, stalling pivot moves with Protect and pelting them with Shadow Balls until they faint. Remember to check for Overheat and beware strong STAB Knock Offs from the likes of Ting-Lu or Roaring Moon.

Keep Gholdengo, Toxapex, and Gapdos healthy with Wish passes. Sylveon can slow pivot its teammates in with Flip Turn, while Ting-Lu is Taunt/Psychic Noise-proof. They can also Wish pass to each other, of course.

Scout Choice attackers with Protect. Switch Gapdos in on resists to fish for burns on contact moves while also getting hazards up.

Gl and hf!

/

Dangerously Cheesy (Gholdengo)
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Tera Type: Grass
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Stall usually means hazard stacking, although hazard removal is pretty darn consistent in this meta. Regenerator + Assault Vest Cyclizar inheritor spinners everywhere, and often is the key to many balance teams’ longevity. Goodra-H is arguably the best mon in the tier, and mons like Ting-Lu and Roaring Moon are equipped with STAB Knock Off to deter Ghost switch ins. Still, I thought something that could exploit these ever present meta staples should do well.

Status spam seemed like it could be a strong option as well, as statusing opposing hazard control would allow me to play the long game effectively. Heal Bell is rare in this meta, while Rest forfeits momentum and consistency. The majority of dedicated status absorbers in the meta are ability based, with Magic Bounce, Magic Guard, Good as Gold and Purifying Salt being the common go to options, while the aforementioned Regenerator mons can be used to tank status and simply heal off status chip damage on switch out.

As it turns out, there exists an ability that both shuts down Regenerator and these status deterrent abilities. This S-tier ability is banned in metas like Almost Any Ability, Shared Power, and even Balanced Hackmons, but is (thus far) allowed here, because you are forced to use Weezing’s shallow move pool. I speak of THE anti-meta ability, Neutralizing Gas, or the ability to turn off your opponent’s ability on switch in.

The utility of Neutralizing Gas only begins with countering these defensive abilities. It also removes the functionality of all nature of powerful offensive breaking abilities like Adaptability, Contrary, Guts, Iron Fist, Protean, Scrappy, Serene Grace, Sheer Force, Sharpness, Skill Link, Sniper, Strong Jaw, Technician, Tinted Lens, Tough Claws, terrain/weather setting, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on. In short, Neutralizing Gas blanket checks the largest amount of dangerous offensive threats in Inheritance, while also providing a good match up to opposing defensive mons, and forcing progress against all types of teams.

With all this in mind, and taking some inspiration from Mywoomiearmy, I chose to combine Neutralizing Gas with Gholdengo’s great defensive and spin blocking typing to start the team. Steel is great for its many resistances, including to the Regenerators’ Dragon Tails and U-Turns, Sand, Mortal Spin and Toxic immunities, while Ghost has great utility in spin blocking and invalidating cheesy trapping strats.

I innovated a bit and opted to make my man Dengo itemless, rather than using Colbur Berry. This still halves damage from the omnipresent Knock Off common on Regenerators, while also giving Dengo a niche immunity to Poltergeist, making it a rare true counter to the annoying No Guard Dynamic Punch Annihilape.

The moves: Shadow Ball is obligatory STAB with potentially game breaking Sp. Def drops. Late game, spamming Shadow Ball with hazards up becomes a potent win con, after Normal and RegenVest mons are fainted and Dark types are weakened, by hazard and status chip.

As stated earlier, Neutralizing Gas also renders abilities like Magic Bounce and Purifying Salt null, giving Dengo rare and often unprepared for utility in statusing such mons. These status also help whittle down switch ins, particularly the RegenVesters, who would love to try to tank Shadow Ball and status under normal circumstances. By having Will o’ and Toxic on the same set, Dengo is able to status almost anything on switch in, excluding Heatran, Salazzle who are immune to both statuses, and Comatose mons, which NG does not nullify.

Protect is chosen as the final move to round out the set, allowing Dengo to scout Choiced locked mons, check for Overheat on Cyclizar inheritors, stall for status chip, and to catch the Regenerator mons trying to U-turn away for extra status chip. Since every bit of chip from hazards, status and Shadow Balls adds up on Regenerators, and you take away their ability to heal on switch out, they will faint after a few interactions, leaving hazards up permanently.

/

Her? (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Fire Spin
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off

Next, let’s just get the obvious special wall out of the way. It’s a stall team, it’s going to have either Blissey or Chansey.

I knew I wanted Unaware on my special wall as the majority of Mold Breaker mons are physical attackers, making Unaware on physical walls less reliable than special ones.

After playtesting with both, I came to find Chansey to be the better option for stall here, as with Eviolite, it’s much bulkier than Blissey. Blissey could still get overwhelmed by certain special set up such as Kingdra Sniper inheritors and Stored Power users, which Unaware is unable to check, but Chansey’s extra bulk could withstand.

Chansey has no offensive stats, so it would need either Seismic Toss or Night Shade to do any consistent damage. This would limit our donors to either Clefable or Skeledirge. The utility moves are now the deciding factors and I came to find the gator’s move options better as Will o’ deters physical switch ins, and Fire Spin, which lets it chip even when Taunted, and helps Chansey pin down the Regenerators in tandem with Dengo. These three moves together provide so much passive chip on bulky special attackers that they need to continuously heal, quickly burning through their healing moves’ PP, if not fainting them outright. Finally, Slack Off brings Chansey healing, 'nuff said.

/

OMG It’s Beyoncé (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Alluring Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Flip Turn

As Weezing’s only healing options are the unreliable Pain Split and Rest, I needed to ensure Dengo’s longevity. So my next thought was to bring in a Wish passer.

As good as a special wall as Chansey is, there are certain mixed sets it cannot handle, namely special attackers with fighting coverage, such as the popular Magic Guard + Focus Punch / Knock Off Kyruem / Thundurus, or Close Combat + Sheer Force mons, for example, and let’s not forget good ol’ Keldeo. Chansey also definitely does not want to lose its Eviolite, so a special wall able to take a Knock Off on a mixed attacker in a pinch would be appreciated.

I’m sure you know Alomomola is the best Wish passer as it has both Regenerator and a pivoting / momentum grabbing move in Flip Turn, but what you may not know is that it also recently received the Fairy-type sound move Alluring Voice. This means I could have a Fighting and Dark resistant Fairy type with Regenerator, Wish, and Flip Turn, also able to use a STAB capable of hitting both Kyruem and Keldeo super effectively, and through Substitute no less. Furthermore, AV also will 100% confuse a mon that raised its stats that turn, making setting up risky. This even works against moves like Contrary Superpower. Protect is also here again, so the Fairy can self heal reliably, help Dengo scout its opponents’ intentions, and again, stall for status chip damage.

Looking at Fairy type options, I knew I wanted a pure Fairy, as Enamorus’ weaknesses to Ice and Electric were not ideal for a specially defensive pivot. Fezendipiti also came with an Earth Power weakness, another common move on Sheer Force mons, and had too low Sp. Attack for my taste. Sylveon and Florges seemed to be the best two options, but Sylveon was all around the best choice for multiple reasons, with a better HP stat to pass juicier Wishes, a lower speed stat to slow pivot out with Flip Turn, a higher Sp. Attack to be more threatening offensively, and higher base defense to tank those Fighting moves and Knock Off, if need be.

/

Beefcake (Ting-Lu) @ Ability Shield
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Dark
Impish Nature
- Bite
- Roar
- Wish
- Protect

These three provided a decent defensive core together on many team iterations. At one point I was running a Fur Coat mon to back up Gholdengo defensively, but unfortunately, this structure came with glaring problems. Dengo and Chansey’s inability to utilize Heavy Duty Boots, combined with the inability to use a Cyclizar inheritor due to Wish + Regenerator basically mandatory to make NG Dengo consistent, led to a severe hazard weakness.

Taunt shut the whole team down at this point, preventing Sylveon from passing Wish passing to Dengo or my other physical wall with Fur Coat lacking reliable recovery. Psychic Noise was similarly game breaking to Taunt. Psyshock was also a problem, letting mons like opposing Gholdengo boost and hit Chansey and Sylveon on their weaker defense, and nuke my own Dengo with Shadow Ball.

After tooling and retooling the team with many different approaches, I came up with something pretty innovative that solved every problem the team had. This new member became the heart and MVP of this final iteration of the team: Magic Bounce Ting-Lu, with Espeon as its donor.

In terms of numbers, Ting-Lu is the most physically bulky mon in this meta. Often, times status, hazards and Taunt are the best means to wear it down. With Magic Bounce, these are not options against Ting-Lu.

With Magic Bounce as a proactive hazard defense, the team immediately became far less reactive and hazard weak, while also letting Ting-Lu and Sylveon forgo HDBs in favor of Leftovers, giving each much better passive healing in conjunction with Protect.

Wish passing on Ting-Lu is not unheard of. However, this is often accomplished with Alomomola as its donor. I found this set suboptimal on Ting-Lu however, as the wishy fishy has no offensive movepool Ting-Lu could take advantage of (unlike Sylveon). Espeon at least has Bite, which is at least SOMETHING Ting-Lu can use to pressure offensively. This very important for this team, as it allows Ting-Lu to help Dengo pressure Psyshock and Psychic Noise mons, which is one more piece of the puzzle needed to ensure that the team cannot be broken from the special side.

But far more important than Bite, Espeon also has Roar. With a set of Bite, Roar, Wish and Protect, Ting-Lu could be a secondary Wish passer, hazard deterrent, Taunt-proof phazer, Psychic and Ghost check, and physical wall, all in one. Phazing combined with hazard spam is always a strong option, and forcing the opponent out of position is a great way to and prevent opposing Wish passing. With a third Protect user, Ting-Lu can punish over predictions from hazard setters with typings that should force it to run, and with three Protect users, the team basically becomes invulnerable to Choiced mons at this point, as well as Future Sight and Trick Room (if those are even viable).

With Roar, Ting-Lu forces mons that can hit it super effectively out of position, while racking up hazard chip and eliminating Substitute as counterplay. Roar also allows Ting-Lu to force out opposing hazard setters, allowing the bull to then switch out, without letting hazards up.

As the cherry on top, and important to note, Roar also forces out Booster Energy mons, rendering their one time boost gone, which is important as Protosynthesis and Quark Drive are two abilities Neutralizing Gas cannot override.

Final note: As people are now counter picking this team with tech like Mold Breaker Taunt and Spikes, Ability Shield is more advisable an item on Ting-Lu than Leftovers, so Magic Bounce cannot be overridden.

/

Pex Crimes (Toxapex) (M)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thief
- Fling

Ting-Lu quickly established itself as the team’s most absurd member to break and the most essential member contributing to the team’s longevity, but there were a few more tools the team needed and a few more offensive threats to consider. Ting-Lu and Dengo, while having great synergy together, still allowed for a few troubling match ups from physical attackers able to target them both. With their potent dual STABs, Great Tusk, Mamoswine and Ogerpon-H all fell into this category. Water types able to dodge Dengo’s status like Taunt / Substitute Urishifu or Gyarados, could also hit Ting-Lu hard and be very troublesome.

Of all these remaining stall breaking threats, Mamoswine seemed to me to be one of the most challenging to cover in the builder. Ground and Ice resists together are very rare on the type chart. I went as far as to consider Flame Body Araquanid for the team, as it resisted all of Water, Ice, Ground and Fighting, while being neutral to Ogerpon’s STABs, but the spider would also lose to Gyarados with flying STAB, besides being very hazard and status weak and a little too squishy, despite its neat typing. Back to the drawing board.

However, Araquanid’s typing gave me the idea slapping a ground immunity on Toxapex, which is far bulkier, brings a Toxic immunity and would be more hazard resistant. With the right set, Pex could cover all of Mamoswine, Great Tusk (minus Mold Breaker), Ogerpon, Urishfu and Gyarados. It also wouldn’t even need to carry recovery, as it already has two Wish passers to support it. Its low base HP but sky high defenses actually make Pex an ideal Wish recipient.

Toxapex would need an attacking move to hit all of the aforementioned threats, as to not be Taunt fodder and get past Substitutes. Toxapex, like Chansey, does not have attacking stats, so I would need to use specific options there. I considered Body Press from Orthworm, but I would risk burns nerfing my damage output, and Contrary Urishifu and Gyarados, could still be a problem. Earth Eater was out as an option, but among mons with Levitate, Night Shade was the most consistent damage option, so I went with that.

Will o’ Wisp was next added Pex’s set, to ensure I would keep up the pressure on the physical attackers Pex needed to check, in case they started boosting.

Next I still needed a Knock Off user to help force progress, but alas, Levitate, Night Shade and Knock Off aren’t available together on any donator. However, Thief is. Thief only removes the opponent’s item if the user itself is itemless. While a little awkward, I figured making Toxapex itemless would let it cover item removal while also giving it another role as an additional Knock Off absorber. This would in turn take pressure off Dengo and help Ting-Lu and Sylveon both keep their lefties. That’s actually pretty handy!

As long as I’m being forced to use Thief, I figured I had better run Fling as well. Fling allows Toxapex to remove more than one item per game and allows it to cast away items that are a detriment to its functionality. For instance if it steals an Assault Vest, it would then be unable to use Will o’ Wisp. Furthermore, Fling allows Pex to serve as a Trick item absorber without being permanently crippled. Pretty handy as Trick Choice is a devious method to break most stall teams. It is also worth mentioning, someone went out of their way to make a very specific Golurk!Heatran set to surprise counter this team and shut down both Ting-Lu and Gholdengo with Assault Vest, Klutz, Trick, Body Press, Iron Defense and Shadow Ball. It surprised me once, but Pex handles this threat easily.

/

Chimkin McNuggiez (Zapdos-Galar) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

The final member of the team would be crucial to winning the hazard war. It needed to be a dedicated hazard setter, so Dengo could reach its full potential as a spin blocker win con, while also serving as a form of secondary hazard control, just in case my opponent got some sneaky pebbles past Ting-Lu.

Defensively, I knew this last teammate needed to be a Flying type. I needed a true Ground immunity and Fighting resist, lest Mold Breaker inheritors like Great Tusk run through my team, as Toxapex would be unable to wall due to MB ignoring Levitate, and STAB Close Combat would wreck Ting-Lu. It would also ideally be Rock neutral, as Rock Slide is a common coverage move on Mold Breaker Great Tusk, in order for it to be able to hit Enamorus.

Flying would also grant a Grass resist, allowing this mon to help Toxapex check Ogerpon-H, another Mold Breaker mon with a dangerous dual STAB. Flying would also be useful type on a spinner, as it would not be affected by Spikes or Toxic Spikes.

I searched for a mon with all of Stealth Rock, Spikes and a hazard removal spin move, and my donor options were either Colossoal, Forretress or Glimmora. Of these, Flame Body, Toxic Debris and Corrosion seemed to be the most useful abilities. I ultimately decided to go with Flame Body, as Flame Body is better at checking Great Tusk. Unfortunately, none of these guys had Flying moves, however Colossoal has access to Body Press, which is useable with defensive investment.

With all this in mind, the final team member I chose was Zapdos-Galar. At a glance, Gapdos may seem like an odd pick for a pure stall team. Admittedly, its bulk is nothing exceptional. However its Fighting / Flying typing give it useful resistances to Grass, Fighting, Dark, and Bug, and the important Rock neutrality, as well as a crucial Ground immunity. Being Earthquake immune, Gapdos already prompts contact moves to bait Flame Body burns, and being Spikes and Toxic Spikes immune and Stealth Rock neutral does not hurt either. Excellent traits for a spinner!

While Gapdos is admittedly the team’s most disposable and flexible member, it’s rare to have a game where it doesn’t pull its weight, be it laying hazards, pressuring offense with Body Press, surprise burning physical attackers, or spinning away hazards.

The team is quite consistent, but by no means perfect. Counterplay does exist.

Mold Breakers are the most common threat to the team. Mold Breaker Great Tusk and Ogerpon Heartflame specifically can sweep the team if Gapdos and Toxapex are weakened sufficiently. Ting-Lu's Ability Shield is crucial in certain match ups, namely teams utilizing Mold Breaker Taunt, or Mold Breaker Spikes, however Toedscruel inheritors are able to run Mycelium Might with Knock Off. Such a team with a spinblocker could put tremendous pressure on the team with Spikes and Leech Seed.

While Ting-Lu can deter Toxic Spikes, care must be taken not to trigger Toxic Debris from Glimmora inheritors, as Chansey and Ting-Lu being poisoned will severely hamper their longevity, especially against set up sweepers with recovery. Toxapex is not grounded, so it will not absorb TS, and Gapdos will be unable to spin away TS if the opponent has a Ghost type. Thankfully, Glimmora lacks recovery, so to circumvent Gimmora, status it and use special attacks/ Night Shade, before using Bite, Thief or Body Press haphazardly.

Parting Shot can be a nuisance to Ting-Lu, as it actually phazes it out before it can Wish. Sylveon still can Wish though, but Squawkabilly also can use Taunt. If they're packing both you may be in for a rough game. I lost one game to this set.

Alternate hazard control - The team's counterplay to Defogers is to status them, continually add pressure by replacing hazards, and settle in for the long game. Tidy Up is limited to a mere few mons lacking recovery. Court Change needs special consideration as if you stack hazards only to have them forced on your side, and they also have a spinblocker, you will likely loose. For this reason (and opposing Magic Bounce), I usually save laying hazards with Gapdos until the mid game, until I have scouted the opponent adequately.

Regenerators with strong STAB Knock Off need to be burned, lest they overwhelm Gholdengo. However, Will o' misses in these situations are risky, so it’s better to take your time, fish for burns with Gapdos or Pex, or only go for the Dengo Will o’ as a last resort. Overheat on Cyclizar spinners also needs to be played around carefully, although this move is usually fairly telegraphed. The Bramblin spin set also threatens Gholdengo, so care will need to be taken with Ting-Lu to keep hazards at bay. If the opponent has offensive hazard setters that also pressure Ting-Lu, you'll have a very difficult MU.

Gapdos remains the teams most flexible member. My other theory crafted options I would consider here would be Gliscor, who offers better physical bulk, or defensive Flame Body Landorus-I with Scorching Sands over Body Press, or an Earth Power + Toxic Debris, in order to utilize a higher special attack. Gapdos and Lando-I are basically identical in physical bulk, but the advantage of using Landorus-I would be the ability to hit ghosts, namely Gholdengo, attempting to spin block, and being less bothered by burns. I believe Gapdos is the best all around option for the final team slot, as its role as hazard control is only as a backup to Ting-Lu, making its inability to hit Ghosts less important than its duties reinforcing the other physical walls. Its typing has better defensive synergy with Ting-Lu and Gapdos does not worsen the MU vs water types, where as Landorus and Gliscor do. Landorus is arguably even to Gapdos in countering MB Great Tusk, hitting Tusk on its weaker special side, but is worse at countering Ogerpon due to not resisting grass, making switching instead in on it more challenging. Toxic Debris would forfeit a bit of control over which status hits mons, which your opponent could potentially take advantage of.

(Note: You'll notice Ting-Lu has Leftovers in these replays. Leftovers is a great item with Protect, but due to the team losing its surprise factor as I'm posting it, and the increase of Mold Breaker as counter play on the ladder, Ability Shield becomes its preferred item.)

Vs SerioRules Balance: One of the first games I played with the team in its current form. This showcases many fundies of the team, including Pex and Gapdos putting in work, countering Mixed Kyruem with Sylveon, Gholdengo suffocating RegenVest Goodra with Neutralizing Gas, Magic Bounce plays, and Dengo tanking surprisingly weak Knock Offs because it is itemless.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2079389209

Vs Krenkrombo Snow Balance: Dengo blocks snow at the opening. Ting-Lu defuses opposing Wish passing and Stealth Rock setting with Roar. Toxapex walls an ordinarily extremely dangerous duo of Great Tusk and Mamoswine sweepers. Gholdengo wincons the end by choking Regen Corviknight and deleting Lapras' Magic Guard with rocks up.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2079752280

Vs Th3Bak3r with Purifying Salt Balance: Nice display of Ting-Lu’s heft tanking a crit CC from Iron Hands. Shows off how to beat Salt Cure with Sylveon and Dengo. Dengo’s NG prevents a Shed Skin burn heal from a dangerous Shift Gear Ogerpon-W. Sylveon mantains pressure against Substitute Primarina with Alluring Voice.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2080321796-125atia6iytxl4r4z6g2i0bb83f7nrkpw

Vs fawaboi offense: They bring a totally fire Corrosion Fire Lash Toxic DD Gouging Fire set, something that would mangle most stall teams, including any Fur Coat mon. Ting-Lu handles it no problem. I have to dance around an aggressive Iron Hands with Garganacl as its donor. Chansey walls out Sniper Kyruem, a set that would smoke Blissey.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2082956207

Last edited:
Has anyone ever dared to mention Rufflet?

:Hawlucha:
No item or Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws / U-Turn
- Acrobatics / Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Shadow Claw

Rufflet is surprisingly unique because it's the only one to have access to both Hustle + Hone Claws.
Its moveset is completely walled by Gholdengo so this is the reason you need to run Shadow Claw, a pretty bad move so to speak (70 BP, high crit ratio) but that can have some potential:

+1 252 Atk Hustle Hawlucha Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 202-238 (53.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Hustle Hawlucha Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo on a critical hit: 302-356 (79.8 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Hawlucha Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 302-356 (79.8 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Hawlucha Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo on a critical hit: 452-534 (119.5 - 141.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Be nice and don't let the eaglet down!

So I've been experimenting a little with this format in the past day or two, and I figure I should share the team I am still tinkering with.
This team is very janky and gimmicky BTW, so definetly not claiming its good, but I think some of the inheritance combinations I'm using could prove interesting.

Also here is a replay where I totally didn't get lucky, pure skill no hax :) : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-2091712487
https://pokepast.es/769c1d0d11288f1f

If you are looking for a pokemon to inherit quiver dance from, Oricorio has a few advantages, but definitely a few disadvantages as well. Revelation dance means any pokemon inheriting from Oricorio will allways have at least one STAB special attacking move of their primary type, though beyond that, quiver dance and Roost, Oricorio only really has Flying moves, Alluring Voice and Icy wind. To make the most out of roost recovery and the special defense increase of quiver dance for a bulky dance set, and to have some passable dual STAB, You would probably want a physically defensive pokemon with a primary type usefull for revelation dance and a secondary type that Oricorio's limited movepool can also work with. Weezing Galar is the awnser. Allthough it will struggle to punch through steel types, its general bulk and boosting threat can serve you well- while black sludge can at least discourage trick or switcheroo shenanigans.

This also works with inheriting from Mightyena, but showdown defaults to inheriting from poochyena, which is much more funny. This is probably one of if not the only tier where quick feet will ever have a chance to shine, as we can remove it from physical attackers and put it on special attackers instead. If you look at the pokemon with quick feet, only really Mightyena and Granbull have much potential. I chose Mightyena here because it gets nasty plot and dark pulse, which combined with quick feet speed on Darkrai of all things is pretty darn scary. However, Mightyena's poor coverage and the abundance of unaware and setup sweep breakers means you will probably want to use one of Mightyena's utility options to supplement it, such as roar, taunt, or super fang.

Bramblin (Gholdengo)
I literally copied this set from one of the sample teams, so not much to say here

This set is somewhat simple- I wanted a SR setter that would not have problems with magic bounce. After trying to figure out how to make mold breaker SR work, I remembered Kleavor existed and an offensive rock setter that wouldn't lose tempo would be much more of my taste. Iron Boulder has some pretty high stats and so felt like the best option. Almost definitely not the optimal set, but inheriting from Kleavor probably has potential if you want a no-nonsense way to get hazards up.

I think this might be a very scary Barraskewda set. If you want to keep the flexibility of choosing different moves, but still want to inject as much power as possible into all of Barraskewda's moves, I dont think you can get much better than sheer force life orb Liquidation. Somewhat limited by a shallow movepool to make use of sheerforb, but icicle crash and play rough allready hit a lot of targets.Also comes with ice shard for when you really need to go first

I assembled this set somewhat on a whim, but man I did not expect it to be this effective. A large chunk of utility in an offensive package: Mach punch for priority, Drain Punch for recovery, stab U-turn for momentum and fire punch for that extra coverage against things like Gholdengho.

While I'm here, I might as well share another set idea thats on my mind, though fair warning I have not tested this idea at all, but I'm fairly confident it should have some merit:

Granbull (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Tera Type: Electric
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

The Other Candidate for quick feet, Granbull instead of Mightyena, does not have Nasty Plot, But in exchange has a much scarier special movepool to pick from. Thundurus-Therian feels like the most natural candidate to me, as it has a very high base special attack stat and a good speed that translates to outrunning a lot of pokemon when affected by quick feet. it also retains a STAB thunderbolt from Granbull's movepool.

Someone can tell me why my Iron Corwn's set is illegal ? i don't understand

Iron Crown @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Flash Cannon
- Endure
- Destiny Bond
1711966937185.png

Has anyone ever tried this?

1712399817469.png

into :corviknight:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor / Pressure
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Agility
- Power Trip
- Roost

Ting-Lu is probably the bulkiest Dark type that can take advantage of Power Trip sets + it doesn't care about Prankster.
I don't know how it would fit in the meta though.

Has anyone ever tried this?

View attachment 622389

into :corviknight:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor / Pressure
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Agility
- Power Trip
- Roost

Ting-Lu is probably the bulkiest Dark type that can take advantage of Power Trip sets + it doesn't care about Prankster.
I don't know how it would fit in the meta though.
I’ve played with Power Trip Ting-Lu and yeah, it can auto-win a lot of teams that aren’t equipped to deal with it. It’s very easy to snowball with it, especially with screens support. Like you said, being Prankster immune is great, since a lot of builds put Taunt and Encore on their Prankster. Even teams with phazing lose to it if you just preserve it as your final mon. Look out for Trick, Flower Trick, Surging Strikes, and Sacred Sword though.

I used Rest and Sleep Talk however, so I wouldn’t get ruined by status, and that actually worked quite well, though I can see the merits of Agility.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)