Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

I think I was using "good" as more of a filler word there/lumping it in with other 65-75 BP moves that got cut that actually are useful. I wasn't sure of its exact accuracy, didn't realize it was only 85%.

Something I had in the back of my mind while writing that post was that increasing Mud Bomb's power to 75 would make it... more useful? If nothing else, more distinct from Mud Shot and actually give people a reason to upgrade, despite the relatively low accuracy.
I mean with Mud Bomb's accuracy it would need to be stronger than Earth Power to be worth it. It is literally the only move with less than 100 bp to have less than 90% accuracy other Bone Club, the move it was cloned from.

move dexit is so frustrating - moves are less animating effort than pokémon and changing a move to give it a better purpose is something they do all the time. also, as mentioned with signal beam, they have cut some moves that Did have a purpose. has there already been a case of a gen 8/9 move being just a clear replacement of a move they dexited? i don't remember any but it wouldn't surprise me

move dexit is so frustrating - moves are less animating effort than pokémon and changing a move to give it a better purpose is something they do all the time. also, as mentioned with signal beam, they have cut some moves that Did have a purpose. has there already been a case of a gen 8/9 move being just a clear replacement of a move they dexited? i don't remember any but it wouldn't surprise me
Heal Block as a status move was cut, now we only have it as an extra effect on Psychic Noise's damage.

Psychic Noise.

wait TRUE heal block was dexited :pikuh: if it doesn't come back in gen 10 just so the option exists it will seal the deal on move dexit having no rhyme or reason

wait TRUE heal block was dexited :pikuh: if it doesn't come back in gen 10 just so the option exists it will seal the deal on move dexit having no rhyme or reason
Fun Fact: If a Pokemon is prevented from healing by Psychic Noise, it will bring up the message that "<POKEMONNAME> was prevented from healing by Heal Block!" despite Heal Block not existing on the Switch.

That's not the message SM used either by the way, the "by Heal Block" part didn't used to be there in previous gens. They updated text to make it dumber.

Fun Fact: If a Pokemon is prevented from healing by Psychic Noise, it will bring up the message that "<POKEMONNAME> was prevented from healing by Heal Block!" despite Heal Block not existing on the Switch.

That's not the message SM used either by the way, the "by Heal Block" part didn't used to be there in previous gens. They updated text to make it dumber.
Actually this message was changed in the final game even though it showed up in prerelease.
1704735889579.png

They also said "because of Heal Block" which has been used since Gen 4 through 7.
1704736020968.png
1704736326756.png

Remind me, did original Heal Block prevent Draining moves from working like Psychic Noise does? I've heard conflicting reports on if it would prevent, say, Drain Punch from going off, or let it attack but block the recovery.

I mean with Mud Bomb's accuracy it would need to be stronger than Earth Power to be worth it. It is literally the only move with less than 100 bp to have less than 90% accuracy other Bone Club, the move it was cloned from.
I mean "worth using" in a "X mon doesn't get Earth Power but would appreciate a reasonably strong Special Ground coverage option" sense. With Earth Power replacing said move in various learnsets, it seems to be a moot point, though.

Remind me, did original Heal Block prevent Draining moves from working like Psychic Noise does? I've heard conflicting reports on if it would prevent, say, Drain Punch from going off, or let it attack but block the recovery.
Bulbapedia says it was changed from allowing the attack but not healing in gens 4-5 to preventing the move entirely in gens 6-7. So Psychic Noise matches the most recent implementation of Heal Block.

Entei still being denied access to Earthquake when Gouging Fire learns it.

Like. Come on. Game Freak is just being vindictive at this point.
If not learning Earthquake is the price to pay for learning Sacred Fire, I think we take that trade any day.

(Also shoutout to Entei actually being a S tier VGC mon right now as well as last gen, whereas Gouging Fire may be very well called Gouging Mid :wo: )

Did you know that, thanks to a screw up in Sun and Moon that was never corrected, the Chespin line no longer learns Tackle.
i just had to check this because wtf, and it pissed me off that in gen 7, the screw up made vine whip replace tackle, so this line learns vine whip at lv1 and also lv5. when they added the line to SV, they "fixed" it... by removing the second vine whip. :changry:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
This may just be more of a nitpick than anything actually serious, but it bothers me that Entei gets access to Sacred Fire while the Legendary Birds don’t get access to the counterpart Aeroblast. Scared Fire makes a lot of sense thematically for Entei, and just in case anyone’s wondering for whatever reason I’m also not going to push for Moltres getting Sacred Fire for that reason. That being said, even if Kanto and Johto are listed as different regions for the purpose of the PokéDex, the two regions are functionally the closest thing we have to two regions being connected and making one mega-region, Paldea and Kalos fan theories not withstanding.

This feels even more like a potential oversight when you consider the Legendary Birds and the so-called Sea Spirit’s Den showing up in X & Y, considering the fact that Entei’s Sacred Fire addition notably wasn’t something that was specifically coded into X & Y as opposed to being saved for some random level-up movepool change come the Johto Legendaries’ return in ORAS. All three of the Legendary Birds have higher Special stats than physical, much like Entei’s physical Attack stat, soooo… why was this never made a thing again? Fix your game, developers.

I'd give all 3 birds Aeroblast, and all 3 beasts Sacred Fire. If we weren't moving away from tutors, I'd also have an in-game event involving Lugia/Ho-Oh giving them power for them to learn it.

Also, Johto was designed as an extension of Kanto pretty much. From Gen III on you get the "new area of the world", but Johto is "Kanto's sequel", even before there was room for Kanto proper in the cartridge.

EDIT: Okay, the Pawniard line lost a bunch of moves upon getting an evolution, but, c'mon, losing Psycho Cut was a low blow. And, for the looks of it, it is mostly a "let's remove it from the egg moves list in SwSh, now that it is a TM", then "let's copypaste the SwSh Egg Move list":

1705066502093.png

Last edited:
Aurorus not having Aurora Veil was mentioned before given the name and Aurora mentions in its dex entries, and the fact that it remains an Egg Move is bizarre for Gen 8, compounded by the fact ABOMASNOW can get it normally as a Level 1 move but not Aurorus. It has Reflect and Light Screen (moves they've been quite picky about since Gen 8+ movepool re-evaluation) so I don't see what flavor it's missing even beyond the Snow Warning Aurora-themed Pokemon like Ninetales. I bring this one back up like 5-7 years later because it baffled me for that long and we know Aurorus isn't in Gen 9 so it continues to go unaddressed.

Also Aurorus, the Specially-focused Fossil Pokemon characterized by Diamond-Shaped Crystals all over its body, has yet to be allowed to learn Power Gem in any form. A visible Gem Stone, Ore, or just something "organic" with a strong glow seems to be the main criteria for natural learning (which they play loose with in cases like Corsola, Nihilego, and Miraidon), and yet Aurorus isn't allowed to have it even via TM or Egg Move (they gave it to Nacli in Gen 9 of all things!) after 3 Generations in the game, one in which the move was a TM as noted

Also Aurorus, the Specially-focused Fossil Pokemon characterized by Diamond-Shaped Crystals all over its body, has yet to be allowed to learn Power Gem in any form. A visible Gem Stone, Ore, or just something "organic" with a strong glow seems to be the main criteria for natural learning (which they play loose with in cases like Corsola, Nihilego, and Miraidon), and yet Aurorus isn't allowed to have it even via TM or Egg Move (they gave it to Nacli in Gen 9 of all things!) after 3 Generations in the game, one in which the move was a TM as noted
Nacli: Salt is made of crystals after all.
Nihilego: Presumably it uses it's shiny semi-transparent head.
Miraidon: The C in LCD does stand for Crystal after all.
I can't really explain Corsola, presumably it just gets it because to only other Special Rock move pre-Isle of Armor was Ancient Power.

As for why Aurorus doesn't? Those "diamonds" are ice, not gems. It's why Glalie and Regice don't get it.

Nacli: Salt is made of crystals after all.
Nihilego: Presumably it uses it's shiny semi-transparent head.
Miraidon: The C in LCD does stand for Crystal after all.
I can't really explain Corsola, presumably it just gets it because to only other Special Rock move pre-Isle of Armor was Ancient Power.

As for why Aurorus doesn't? Those "diamonds" are ice, not gems. It's why Glalie and Regice don't get it.
If "only other Special Rock move" suffices for Corsola, then it suffices for Aurorus who has the Ice Crystaline look in its biology for Power Gem as much as "Dinosaur so Ancient" for Ancientpower.

The word "crystal" is explicitly used multiple times in Aurorus's Pokedex entries and talks about crystals and glow as much as its Cold biology. Regice and Glalie by comparison only reference their nearly-unmeltable Ice bodies and flash freezing, nothing about a particular structure or reflectiveness.

Power Gem's move description pertains to the glow resembling gemstones rather than attacking with said Crystals or stones specifically.

The user attacks with a ray of light that sparkles as if it were made of gemstones.
This description doesn't necessarily require the Pokemon to have literal crystals, but that is a common elements across the bulk of natural learners, even including your "presumably" explanation for Nihilego, as a source for the attack's glow. Aurorus has multiple references to Crystals and Aurora lights, both of which are the obvious elements that Gamefreak designs Power Gem around even for Pokemon it'd be totally useless on (i.e. when evaluating the flavor criteria) like Meowth and Gigalith.

Acid Armor has a pretty specific flavor to it, leading to a relatively narrow distribution with predictable reasons for why a given Pokemon learns it. You got blobs like Grimer and Litwik, you got gastropods like Goomy and Shelmet, you got jellyfish like Tentacool and Frillish, and you got things that melt like Vanillite and Vaporeon. There are only two exceptions to this. First there's Skrelp, who kinda sorta fits the flavor with its Poison/Water typing, and it's an egg move so the flavor doesn't need to fit that much. Second,

:sv/glimmet::sv/glimmora:

there's Glimmet, who learns the move through level-up.

Acid Armor has a pretty specific flavor to it, leading to a relatively narrow distribution with predictable reasons for why a given Pokemon learns it. You got blobs like Grimer and Litwik, you got gastropods like Goomy and Shelmet, you got jellyfish like Tentacool and Frillish, and you got things that melt like Vanillite and Vaporeon. There are only two exceptions to this. First there's Skrelp, who kinda sorta fits the flavor with its Poison/Water typing, and it's an egg move so the flavor doesn't need to fit that much. Second,

:sv/glimmet::sv/glimmora:

there's Glimmet, who learns the move through level-up.
I think the idea is that whatever crystal they're made of has at least some solubility in water. What came to my mind first was how stalactites/stalagmites are built from minerals slowly coming out of solution. Bulbapedia also speculates on a link to copper sulphate because it's (mostly) bright blue and toxic enough to be used to remove algae and fungus. Copper Sulphate also dissolves pretty readily in water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)