(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Yeah, the Home render for Stellar Terapagos is already incredibly busy:

View attachment 594379

Yep, once again, Megas were better lol
I've seen this image before but not at this size and I legit had to look at this for a moment to fully process it.

God, it's... an awful design. Not because it's ugly per se, the colours are very pretty and the overall effect works on a conceptual level, but it's just... well, as you say, too busy. It doesn't look like a discrete single being, the dome it sits on makes it look strangely unimpressive for all the bells and whistles this form has, and the mini-version of itself unnerves me for some reason. The band of different type icons would have worked better as its Tera Jewel.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing some ambitious artist struggle with the mammoth task of remaking Terapagos' sprite in RBY/GSC style (as others have done so nicely with Gen V, Gen VI, Gen VII, and Gen VIII)

It is an world turtle/"turtles all the way down", but, between being as tall as a person, the crystal texture, and the complex Stellar tera crown being recurrent... yep.

Terapagos having a base form even more superfluous than Xerneas' is annoying as well. Autobattling Terapagos changes form for every single attack.

I've seen this image before but not at this size and I legit had to look at this for a moment to fully process it.

God, it's... an awful design. Not because it's ugly per se, the colours are very pretty and the overall effect works on a conceptual level, but it's just... well, as you say, too busy. It doesn't look like a discrete single being, the dome it sits on makes it look strangely unimpressive for all the bells and whistles this form has, and the mini-version of itself unnerves me for some reason. The band of different type icons would have worked better as its Tera Jewel.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing some ambitious artist struggle with the mammoth task of remaking Terapagos' sprite in RBY/GSC style (as others have done so nicely with Gen V, Gen VI, Gen VII, and Gen VIII)
Do we think gen 1 demake Terapagos will keep all 18 type symbols or drop Fairy/Dark/Steel?

The thing that's kind of off to me with Stellar Terapagos is that the stack design is a common thing in some cartoony RPG's like World of Final Fantasy, but the bottom most sphere seems to just kind of be a structure for the Tera Turtle to float on, rather than its own body. Like if Terapagos grew to that size and then its previous forms sat atop it, it'd also give it a sort of grand scale, going from an Embodiment of this little gem phenomena up to something that dwarfs you and your mons rather than kind of piloting a boulder. Would also make Normal-Form Terapagos a less bizarre visual as the unique Tera Jewel.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It’s not a sphere, it’s a bigger turtle. Combined with the Tera jewel being a little turtle, it’s supposed to invoke the ‘turtles all the way down’ image of old
The thing that's kind of off to me with Stellar Terapagos is that the stack design is a common thing in some cartoony RPG's like World of Final Fantasy, but the bottom most sphere seems to just kind of be a structure for the Tera Turtle to float on, rather than its own body. Like if Terapagos grew to that size and then its previous forms sat atop it, it'd also give it a sort of grand scale, going from an Embodiment of this little gem phenomena up to something that dwarfs you and your mons rather than kind of piloting a boulder. Would also make Normal-Form Terapagos a less bizarre visual as the unique Tera Jewel.
What Pika said. The dimensions are off, so it doesn't look like a larger turtle shell - instead, it looks like it's perched on a big round boulder. Yeah the base form being the Tera Jewel works with the TATWD imagery, but it doesn't look that grand. Just incredibly unbalanced.

The smaller version of itself is the standard Stellar Tera crown, the only difference with Stellar Terapagos vs. a regular Stellar Tera is that the type crystals orbit the dome underneath it rather than the crown on its head.
It's more obvious when you see it hacked to have a different Tera type.

GF seems like they wanted the Rival fights in HGSS to favor Meganium, particularly the 4th one
Cuz the rest are mind numbing
Screenshot_20240120-002747_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240120-002735_Chrome.jpg

Why is Quilava not fully evolved at lvl 36!? Why is Fera's stab Water Gun!?
Side note, Thrash is learned at Lvl 50 in HGSS. Fera is effectively cheating
Meganium meanwhile
Screenshot_20240120-003830_Chrome.jpg

Not bad. Synthesis and Reflect help its poor defensive profile, to where Fera struggles

But the others are laughably weird

GF seems like they wanted the Rival fights in HGSS to favor Meganium, particularly the 4th one
Cuz the rest are mind numbing
View attachment 594595
View attachment 594596
Why is Quilava not fully evolved at lvl 36!? Why is Fera's stab Water Gun!?
Side note, Thrash is learned at Lvl 50 in HGSS. Fera is effectively cheating
Meganium meanwhile
View attachment 594597
Not bad. Synthesis and Reflect help its poor defensive profile, to where Fera struggles

But the others are laughably weird
Quilava isn't fully evolved because it evolves at 36 and the rival's starter is 34/32 in this battle. They were all level 32 like Feraligatr as well in GSC, Quilava and Meganium being 34 in HGSS is a change.
Feraligatr's moveset appears to have been based on Feraligatr's DPPt moveset, because in those games a level 32 Feraligatr would know Crunch, Agility, Thrash, and Ice Fang. Which is what it has, aside from Agility being replaced by Water Gun aka the only Water move it would learn by that level.

I get that, but it makes Quilava stand out awkwardly. I feel making it 36 with weaker moves would've sufficed
And Fera had access to TMs. Later fight it has Waterfall. So maybe they could've given it a physical move, instead of literally Water Gun
Then again Meganium needed the handicap, so...

Idk I like it, if only because it feels less sterile and same-y than the usual, especially for a rival whose team is otherwise completely unchanged regardless of starter choice.

Really what I find weird here is Feraligatr's anomalous evolution level. It's fun to have such a powerhouse so early, but I can't help but feel that it would have made more sense if it evolved at the usual Level 36, giving Meganium a unique edge in this rival battle (and as a starter choice in general).

Quilava isn't fully evolved because it evolves at 36 and the rival's starter is 34/32 in this battle. They were all level 32 like Feraligatr as well in GSC, Quilava and Meganium being 34 in HGSS is a change.
Feraligatr's moveset appears to have been based on Feraligatr's DPPt moveset, because in those games a level 32 Feraligatr would know Crunch, Agility, Thrash, and Ice Fang. Which is what it has, aside from Agility being replaced by Water Gun aka the only Water move it would learn by that level.
Yeah I like it, if only because it feels less sterile and same-y than the usual, especially for a rival whose team is otherwise identical regardless of starter choice.

Really what I find weird here is Feraligatr's anomalous evolution level. It's fun to have such a powerhouse so early, but I can't help but feel that it would have made more sense if it evolved at the usual Level 36, giving Meganium a unique edge in this rival battle (and as a starter choice in general).

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I get that, but it makes Quilava stand out awkwardly. I feel making it 36 with weaker moves would've sufficed
And Fera had access to TMs. Later fight it has Waterfall. So maybe they could've given it a physical move, instead of literally Water Gun
Then again Meganium needed the handicap, so...
iirc the only physical Water moves it learns are Waterfall and Aqua Tail? (Aqua Jet is an egg move so that couldn’t just be asspulled)

Waterfall isn’t found until Ice Path - plus c’mon it’d be even stronger than it already is than the others at that point. I mean c’mon Crunch/Ice Fang/Thrash at level 32 off 100+ base attack is good enough.

Yeah I like it, if only because it feels less sterile and same-y than the usual, especially for a rival whose team is otherwise identical regardless of starter choice.

Actually, in that fourth fight, the rest of his team is also two levels lower if he has Feraligatr rather than Meganium or Quilava.

I think it more goes to show three things
1. Game freak has not always done a good job of adding mid strength moves for types, so a lot of times there were times where if they didn't want a pokemon to have a 95 bp stab at that level, they were stuck with a 40 or 50 bp stab cause there was nothing in between
2. Game Freak really, really dug their heels in on the "only level up movesets for all non gym leader/E4 trainers" rule for a long time. Not sure if there was a reason for that outside of time saving but it's absolutely ridiculous the rival is stuck with level up moves.
3. Game Freak picks silly evolution levels lmao

Zacian and Zamazenta seem like they're supposed to be equals in concept, unstoppable force/immoveable object or just the sword and shield duality. So why do their primary types give advantage to Zacian? What does Fighting have to do with the Shield motif?

For that matter, everything about Zamazenta's design is awful. Why does this mon learn no Shield based moves besides its Signature (King's Shield for an obvious) despite building one into its face? Why is it designed just as a bad Attacker instead of a defensive support Mon? Why in the generation that Body Press is introduced does this thing have no DEF scaling attack (not even BP itself, make Behemoth Bash a Steel version)? King Arthur had stuff like a Shield and a Scabbard that gave him borderline invincibility (to the point some interpretations/characters value them more than Excalibur), yet Zamazenta works about as well as trying to kill a guy with a Shield instead of defending yourself with it (Regenerator, Recovery, debuff potential, Damage reduction options, etc).

It hammers in why I hate the Hero duo so much and project an image of laziness onto Galar in turn: they didn't actually think about the themes of the mons they were making, they just made a beatstick, then made it again with a bunch of options changed for random Steel or Defense boosting moves that it has no way to use (despite dedicating so much stat budget to both Defenses it can't raise SpD meaningfully, even on Dauntless Shield). Change a few values, who cares if it works, game ships tomorrow we can't think about anything we made. If they wanted to mirror what they did properly Zacian should have been a mixed Glass Cannon instead of "Slightly less bulky than Zamazenta"

Zacian and Zamazenta seem like they're supposed to be equals in concept, unstoppable force/immoveable object or just the sword and shield duality. So why do their primary types give advantage to Zacian? What does Fighting have to do with the Shield motif?

For that matter, everything about Zamazenta's design is awful. Why does this mon learn no Shield based moves besides its Signature (King's Shield for an obvious) despite building one into its face? Why is it designed just as a bad Attacker instead of a defensive support Mon? Why in the generation that Body Press is introduced does this thing have no DEF scaling attack (not even BP itself, make Behemoth Bash a Steel version)? King Arthur had stuff like a Shield and a Scabbard that gave him borderline invincibility (to the point some interpretations/characters value them more than Excalibur), yet Zamazenta works about as well as trying to kill a guy with a Shield instead of defending yourself with it (Regenerator, Recovery, debuff potential, Damage reduction options, etc).

It hammers in why I hate the Hero duo so much and project an image of laziness onto Galar in turn: they didn't actually think about the themes of the mons they were making, they just made a beatstick, then made it again with a bunch of options changed for random Steel or Defense boosting moves that it has no way to use (despite dedicating so much stat budget to both Defenses it can't raise SpD meaningfully, even on Dauntless Shield). Change a few values, who cares if it works, game ships tomorrow we can't think about anything we made. If they wanted to mirror what they did properly Zacian should have been a mixed Glass Cannon instead of "Slightly less bulky than Zamazenta"
Zamazenta's signature move should have been "Max Guard but it protects everyone on your side of the field"

Zacian should had been the Fighting one, Zamazenta should had been the Fairy one.

And, speaking of mascot typings, Miraidon should have had a different secondary type. Dragon/Psychic could have worked nicely, as now we have 2 Dragon/Electric version mascots, AND 2 Dragon/Electric paradoxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)