SV OU Trying to get back into OU and need help with my team

I was playing a good amount back in regulation C, but haven’t played since. So I am basically a newbie to the current meta. Here is where I’m at right now. I was going for a more offensive team.

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

I think Gambit is just a solid defense typing right now, so I was using him as a bulky offensive mon. I went with a swords dance set here because I like the idea of bringing him to force a switch and getting off a SD and having the potential to just sweep from there. I thought Tera water would be good to help with rain teams and live a hit from skewda in the rain.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Spikes

Skarmory is pretty basic I think. It is here to set spikes and be a defensive mon with ground immunity. Not sure about the spread but it seems like there is currently a lot of physical attackers that he can wall, including Gambit. I went with Skarm over Gliscor here as the setter/phy wall because of Tusk being on the team. Tera fighting was used to eliminate ice weakness. Although doesn’t seem like a mon I would really want to tera.

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Headlong Rush
- Bulk Up
- Ice Spinner

Tusk is here as an offensive spinner. He also seems like a really good counter to common mons like raging bolt and gouging fire. I went with a booster set because I envisioned this as more of an offensive team and that seemed to fit the play style best here. Considered running Temper Flare to hit grass and steel but wasn’t sure what to remove, so just kept a basic bulk up set I thought provided good coverage in general. Tera fire was used to avoid burns.

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
Jolly Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Destiny Bond
- Moonblast

Valiant is here as a special breaker. This is the mom I wanted to build around. The move set I struggled with, I thought a special build would fit the team better. As my breaker I like a CM set, moonblast is great STAB and Psyshock lets me hit special bulky mons. The destiny bond seemed like nice tech to just take down a mon that walled me if needed. Could maybe swap out for fighting move, wasn’t really sure on the best set. Tera fairy seemed smart for extra power.

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Flower Trick
- Sucker Punch
- Triple Axel

Meowscarda is the physical breaker. This move set seemed pretty natural with good coverage. The band allows him to come in and hit hard right away. I was torn between running him or weaville here, But meow seems like it provides better coverage overall for this team. I liked this moveset because it has a way to hit most everything as well as having priority for my team. Tera grass was for extra power on flower trick.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Tera Blast

I didn’t really know what to use as my last mon. But I have always found that I enjoy playing with volcarona. I thought that it fit nicely on this team as providing some special bulk and pairing nicely with my other mons typing. Quiver dance seemed like a good set here as I was going for a more offensive team and I pictured him as another nice set mon. I thought tera ground was cool because it helps with raging bolt and other fire types it would struggle against.

Any advice is appreciated as I try to get back into it! Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

Why did you choose this mon

What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it

What are all 4 moves for

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
I think the tusk set could be changed to something like this:

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Temper Flare
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Knock Off is good uitility, Temper Flare helps against Gholdengo, Rapid Spin is natural and Headlong Rush is STAB.

Tera fighting was used to eliminate ice weakness.
skarmory doesn't have a ice weakness

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
With your current build I feel it’s solid, but a few changes can be made

Kingambit: kowtow/iron head, low kick, sd, sucker punch Tera fighting 252+ atk 252 speed this can be your stall breaker as Tera fighting low kick after 3 fallen can 3HKO donozo with Tera fighting low kick if it’s rest sleep talk body press, waterfall. Also to beat opposing kingambits kowtow can be replaced for low kick if you want iron head for fairies, but it’s a preference. Leftovers for the item slot. Since you have skarm tho you can try Tera dark black glasses it literally hits so damn hard after 5 fallen.

Skarmory: basic set is fine, but Tera dragon vs fighting just a better defensive Tera.

Great tusk: boots with rapid spin, Templar flare, headlong rush, ice spinner boots for the item and ice spinner for gliscor and Templar flare for corv, gholdengo, and skarm since Templar flare doubles in power if it misses a move. Tera steel is usually good or fire for max fire dmg 252 atk 252+ speed.

Iron Val: the Pokémon of customization. For your team rather go mix with moonblast, close combat, knock off, encore ters steel with 64 atk 192 sp atk 252+ speed naive nature Tera steel. Another set can be moonblast, calm mind, shadow ball, pyshock Tera ghost to avoid getting revenged by dragonite and shadow ball Tera ghost to help break va gholdengo or slowking-g and pyshock helps vs clod and stall and can force a defensive Tera from blissey or clod that can open up your team better vs stall. Item obviously is booster energy

Meowscarada: boots or scarf imo you have gambit as your breaker and iron val as well. Knock off, flower trick, triple axel, u turn/trick (if scarf) boots allows you to freely come in and never worry about hazards while also having knock off and triple axel vs gliscor as well, while knovk off is always a free click to remove items from the opposing team. Sucker isn’t needed as gambit already has it. Tera ice

Volcorona: 136 hp 4 def 152 sp atk 216+ speed Tera Dragon moveset quiver dance, fierce dance, ters blast, morning sun. With tusk as your ground user you should abuse Tera blast dragon volc. It’s pretty good in this meta with all the dragons going around and the fire is a perfect combo while morning sun heals you and you bulky as well and can freely set up on certain Pokémon like iron val without encore, Torkoal without clear smog and after +2 you’re pretty much set to sweep. Also dragon can help resist vs rain as well.

Credit to the mix iron val ev spread and Volcorona ev spread and sets to finchinator as he posted a RMT with those spreads and movesets and I feel can go prefect for your team.

Wow! This is fantastic advice! Thank you. Let me ask you this, it seems like you’re not onboard with the meowscarda on this team, is there something you think I should swap it out for?

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Wow! This is fantastic advice! Thank you. Let me ask you this, it seems like you’re not onboard with the meowscarda on this team, is there something you think I should swap it out for?
You can try Weavile as they both do the same role

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ice/fighting
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick/swords dance
- Triple Axel

You can use it with priority ice shard and you outspeed roaring moon and speed tie with darkrai. Low kick is for kingambit, garg (but you’ll take like 70% after salt cure dmg) and kyruem since you can naturally switch in on kyruem who are specs a few times or you can have a aggressive SD set to potentially sweep and can force a defensive Tera and Tera ice to maximize your damage output with triple axel or icicle crash or ice spinner, but triple axel is a great lead vs Ribombee sticky webs as you break their sash and OHKO or force them to Tera steel to get webs up or force out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)