Smogon Forums

Flygonial
Flygonial
TBH, I don't find that it completely fits her personality - and I shudder to think how annoying it would be if it actually was. I'd like to ask though, what exactly do you find annoying about it? Don't 'everything', because I seriously doubt that.
Pent
Pent
It's not annoying, I just feel like it's her mother's voice made a tiny bit more squeaky. I feel the typical high pitched voice would suit her better, sorta like Pinkie's, but a little dulled down.
Flygonial
Flygonial
Is that really enough to make you 'unable to stand her' though? Eden Sher has done a less than optimal job, especially with crying, but I've gotten used to it. Something like Pinkie and Mabel's voice mashed together might work better, but I personally can't imagine it any different at this point.
Pent
Pent
Another thing I can't stand about Star vs. The Forces of Evil is the art style which takes too much to get used to for my opinion. The first episode was nice and all, but the second half felt like filler, and I don't like series that do that.

In my opinion, it feels just like a fun show with nothing really to "watch" just a sit back and relax show, and relaxing to it is rather hard in general.

The reason I can't stand Star is because the voice is just too annoying for me to even think of watching it, I tried giving it a chance repeatedly, but it simply isn't for me.

To each their own I guess.
Flygonial
Flygonial
TBH, Daron Nefcy is incorporating more of a serious plotline, but yes, the show is mostly filler right up as of now. On the other hand, the art style is my favorite thing about it, period, and there aren't many who share your opinion.

I'll be honest, it is a pretty heavily flawed show - it often wastes the potential of its setting, it almost seems like its too in love with its own characters, and the quality writing and pacing wise is pretty inconsistent.

There are only three major reasons why I love it so much. The potential that it sometimes wastes, the art style, the animation (which has been suffering with a studio change), and how the entire concept just 'clicks' with me and just makes me sell my soul right away. The background music is cool but that's not a major factor and the lack of it is distracting at times.

Who knows though, maybe it could pull a Steven Universe and jump farther down that serious plotline foxhole? Because as far as I'm concerned, the show performs best when it's actually taking itself seriously. Otherwise, those three things are really what keeps me hanging on so tight.
Flygonial
Flygonial
Also:

"It's not annoying, I just feel like it's her mother's voice made a tiny bit more squeaky."

"The reason I can't stand Star is because the voice is just too annoying for me to even think of watching it,"

Care to explain this?
Pent
Pent
I don't feel a young girl should have such an adultish voice when she's supposed to be cracked out.

With the Animation and art style on the other hand, since I am an artist AND an Animator, I pick out the things normal viewers don't see. When an animation is too smooth, it gets on my nerves, makes me feel like I'm watching something that isn't in the genre properly. The art style in my opinion is too exaggerated, I'm fine with exaggeration and all, but it's a bit too much for my liking. Yes, people may not have the same opinion as me, but most people don't have the eyes of me either.

I guess I could maybe give it another try, but it will take some effort. I did do the same thing with Steven Universe too, so it might work out the same way here.
Flygonial
Flygonial
If you're going to go for that, you could put it off for a while, y'know, until September 21st. If you really feel like it's 'too smooth', then I'll take your word for it. It hasn't always been quite as fluid since the studio change, they even swapped over to (mostly) hand-drawn for an episode.

True though, her voice doesn't fit her. People said the same thing about Dipper but I honestly don't care about either at this point.
Pent
Pent
I'll admit, Dipper's voice took me quite a while to get used to, I even hated him at first, Mabel was my favorite when I just finished season 1. But now Dipper is my favorite so gotta love how I can switch to Hate < Love in 5 episodes lol.