Smogon Forums

Kanburi
Kanburi
Do you know what area of Toronto you'll be in? I was downtown my entire time there.
Stallion
Stallion
I haven't committed to any one area, but from all the research I've done, I wanna be in downtown tbh. I don't plan to have a car there so I wanna be nice and close to the subway line.
Kanburi
Kanburi
Downtown housing got really expensive while I was there, particularly if you're around the Bay Street area since it's close to the University of Toronto campus and a lot of students are around there. Not sure if it got any better since I left (probably not), but I paid around $1,500 for a bachelor apartment.
Kanburi
Kanburi
Public transit in Toronto is absolute garbage. There are schedules, but honestly the streetcars, trains and buses arrived when they felt like it. If you're going to be commuting, you might want to look into getting a TTC Metro Pass as opposed to paying per trip or using tokens.
Kanburi
Kanburi
Hm... I'm not sure how big of an adjustment it'll be for you since I've never been to Australia, but Toronto's weather is pretty decent. I'm not sure how well you do in the cold, but I personally didn't need a Canada Goose jacket when I was there. If you're worried and will be there for a few years, it might be worth the investment.
Stallion
Stallion
TTC Metro Pass is definitely what I was going to do. $1500 is still cheap as shit for a bachelor apartment in downtown, that's basically what you're paying for the same area in Sydney with a bunch of housemates. It'd easily be +$2000 for the same thing in Syd and that's being conservative.

Coupled with the fact that it's a new country and I want to make new friends, and I have no issue with having housemates.
Stallion
Stallion
Australia is waaay warmer than Canada, I know Toronto isn't that bad compared to say, Montreal, but it's still cold I'll have never experienced. So definitely need one of those Canada Goose jackets you're talking about. Know any tips to getting them at reasonable prices?
Kanburi
Kanburi
Are you there for school or work? You probably won't have a lot of issues finding housemates if you're a student but I'm not sure about the case for work.

I'm not entirely sure Canada Goose jackets ever go on sale, but I have heard stories of there being counterfeit ones, so I'd probably get one at full price from an authorised retailer.