ORAS Doubles OU A Classy Justification (My 1st RMT)

Hello everyone! Welcome to my first RMT. With ORAS coming out, I figured soon the VGC for it will come soon and I wanted to be prepared. I messed around with a few strategies, like Safeguard Swagger Klefki and Mega Lopunny, which was okay, and Mega Sceptile and Rotom-W with discharge, which was less okay, at least for my play style. As I was testing strategies, I came across a Whimsicott and Terrakion core. I used this strategy for the 2013 VGC and it worked very well for me, and with the new found Mega Gallade, you could raise its attacking power and speed to new heights. A Max Attack, Double Speed Mega Gallade is frightening, and I loved it.

The Team

Gallade (Frisbee) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Slide
- Protect
My main focus on the team. With Justified, dark type attacks will boost it's attack to sky high levels, and after a tailwind, M-Gallade Speed goes from average to out-speeding basically everything. Protect is used very first, so Gallade doesn't take any damage and Whimsicott can set up a tailwind. Drain Punch is used over Close Combat for longevity; a nice STAB damaging healing move, healing it to full health from basically any neutral damage it gives. Zen-Headbutt is used for a strong STAb that KO's anything neutrally hit by it. Rock Slide is for pesky flying types that usually KO him in one hit, also providing a double hitting move. The EV's are pretty straightforward. 252 in attack and speed to maximize sweeping capability, and a little in Special Defense to make sure he can survive a hit or two.

Whimsicott (Puffball) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Tailwind
- Beat Up
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore
I have always loved Whimsicott. Its one of those pokemon that just immediately fit into my play style. Being the second part of my main core, I needed someone to support Gallade. Tailwind gives the needed speed for Gallade to get an added edge on other pokemon that outspeed him such as Greninja. Beat Up will give Gallade a insanely high boost in his attack. Dazzling Gleam is a multi-hitting STAB move to get a little more damage on the opponent for gallade to finish it off. Finally Encore has surprisingly helped me numerous times, getting fake out users stopped in their tracks and trick room users trick-less. The EV's give me the speed and health to take some hits, and focus sash is to ensure I at least get a tailwind up.

Thundurus (Lakitu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Discharge
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
I need someone to help me slow down pokemon when tailwind is down and Whimsicott is out of the fight. Thundurus provides an irresistible prankster thunder wave, making sure that after one turn, Gallade out speeds and cleans up. Taunt is there to help avoid trick room and people trying to burn or paralyze Gallade. Discharge helps get some damage off and protect helps me scout moves. EV's are there to ensure I live hits and outspeed other prankster sets.

Metagross (Cerebro) @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
I had a pretty bad flying and ice weakness, and I needed an attacker that would cover those weaknesses for me. Metagross fit the bill. With access to rock slide and earthquake, flying and ice types have no chance. STAB Meteor Mash also deals with Ice types and provides a strong neutral hit to most pokemon. The EV's make it so I am a bulky brute that can take hits and dish them right back.

Gothitelle (Vivian) @ Light Clay
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA /252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Protect
My team was starting to feel very hyper offensive. I wanted a special wall to help support my entire team. I love the idea of keeping pokemon stuck on the field with a pokemon they'd rather not have to deal with, so shadow tag Gothitelle was my go to gall. She can set up reflect and light screen to help live attacks and can deal damage with psychic. EV's ensure max bulk.

Rotom-Wash (Spin Cycle) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Hydro Pump
- Discharge
I realized that I had a huge Talonflame weakness. A defensive Rotom-W is the perfect counter to Talonflame. With it resisting both of Talon's stabs and being super effective with both of its stabs, it comes in handy. Will-o-Wisp helps cripple physical attackers and confuse ray is just annoying for others to deal with. Hydro Pump and Discharge allow it to hit common pokemon Like Talonflame, Greninja and Charizard. EV's are there to make it so I can tank lots of hits and deal some damage.

So thats it y'all. There's my doubles team! I am open to criticism and suggestions, so please let me know what else I can do to make the team better!​

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, adding off of what the above comment pointed out, however I do think you can create a team with Beat Up + Justified, though it would be as a last second tech, rather than as a strategic focus, since that strategy fails more often than not. Some early issues that I would like to address though is that opting for a Beat Up + Justified strategy is really limiting towards teambuilding, so here are some suggestions which can help this team shine:

1. Gallade: Your reasoning for using Drain Punch over Close Combat is shaky at best, and I would suggest that you just run Close Combat, since the difference in power is noticeable. I understand that you attempt to mitigate the issue by using Beat Up, but remember that Gallade only has justified in its base form meaning that several key threats are faster than it (notably Charizard and Mega Kanga), who can both beat it, so you can not rely on waiting for 2 turns to beat them:
252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 470-554 (133.5 - 157.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO vs 252 Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 294-348 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 278-330 (75.5 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery vs 252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 446-528 (121.1 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
2. Whimsicott: First thing I would suggest is running a Timid nature, not a Naive one. Next is running Moonblast over Dazzling Gleam, because once again, the power difference is huge. Moon Blast is a guaranteed 2HKO over 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence, AV Scrafty and a few other things, all of which have Dazzling Gleam as a 3HKO. It also has a guaranteed OHKO on Hydreigon, which is huge for Metagross, Gothitelle, and Gallade if it hasn't mega'd yet, or the opposing side has Tailwind up. If I may say something, Whimsicott is the main issue on this team, since it takes up a slot that could be used to address several issues on this team.
0 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 204-240 (61.6 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO vs 0 SpA Whimsicott Dazzling Gleam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 124-148 (37.4 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 180-212 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO vs 0 SpA Whimsicott Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 114-134 (34.4 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 364-432 (111.6 - 132.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO vs 0 SpA Whimsicott Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 232-276 (71.1 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
3. Thundurus and Rotom-W: The biggest standout is that both have Discharge, but you have no immunities to the move itself. Yeah, just use Thunderbolt instead. Also you don't need that much special defence on Rotom-W, the above two sets are much more efficient, so I'd just run one of those. One thing I would like to suggest is switching from Rotom-W to Rotom-H, since it gives you a fairy and fire resist, both of which your team needs.
4. Metagross: You have Metagross as a check for Flying and Ice types, however the most common Flying types (Thundurus, Charizard, Talonflame, Salamence) can all ohko or 2hko it, and all of them outrun it. Salamence and Thundurus aren't ohko'd by Rock Slide, and Charizard and Talonflame just outright ohko you before you attack. As for Ice types, the two most common ones, Weavile and Mamoswine, also ohko before you attack. If you need a check for Flying and Ice types, I would suggest Terrakion, since it can beat the 5/6 of the mons I just listed, and it can take on non-mega mence. If your heart is set on Metagross, I would recommend that you switch from Life Orb to an Assault Vest, and swap out Earthquake for Bullet Punch. Metagross doesn't really need a Life Orb anyway, and Bullet Punch can ohko Weavile before it uses Knock Off. An Assault Vest also lets you live a Heatwave from Charizard Y, and you still ohko back with Rock Slide.
5. Gothitelle: A more efficient EV spread for it would be 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 SpD Sassy, which lets it live modest specs Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, and the rest are just thrown into SpA. Though another spread, 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD Sassy lets it have a good chance to live up to 3 Modest Charizard Y Heatwaves in the Sun, and a good chance to live 2 Adamant LO Brave Birds from Talonflame, factoring in a Sitrus Berry. It also lives a LO Modest Hydreigon's Dark Pulse 100% of the time, as well as a Timid Specs Dark Pulse. As for move set changes, I think it would be better served if you swapped out dual screens for Heal Pulse / Heal Bell, and Trick Room, to provide a cleric option as well as speed control against Trick Room teams, as well as being able to get a speed advantage for Metagross.

Other Options:
1. Thundurus -> Terrakion: Serves as a secondary Kang check, can't be picked off sub 50% hp by Bisharp, which is an issue for Gallade, and can handle Talonflame and Charizard, who seriously threaten your team. The loss of Thunder wave is mitigated by the fact that you have Tailwind, access to Quick Guard or Taunt lets you decide which one is better suited for your team.
2. Metagross -> Escavalier: Great mon, eases your rain and trick room matchup. Isn't weak to Sucker Punch, immunity to Spore + RP, and compliments Gothitelle quite well.
3. Whimsicott -> Any of the following: Weavile, Jirachi, Zapdos, Suicune, Milotic, Landorus-T, Togekiss, Gyarados, Azumarill, Latios, Tyranitar, Scrafty, Sylveon. Each of these options compliment your team better by providing better offensive presence, better defensive synergy, or more utility, and your team will likely be better off with them over whimsicott.

But again, it's your team, so whatever floats your boat. Good luck, and have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)