ORAS Doubles OU All hail topthundy (peaked 1596)

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch?
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out

Hitmontop's career so far has been of great success. It's decently bulky due to it's
eV spread. Close Combat is a hard-hitting STAB move and Fake Out racks up additional chip damage. It also has the amazing ability Intimidate easing hits from faster fake out users. Wide Guard so far has been a great utility move preventing Meloetta/Sylveon's Hyper Voice Spam, and opposing pokes hitting teammates under friendly fire via spread moves such as EQ, Surf and L Plume. The last slot was given to a priority move but I haven't used it much. Thinking about feint or Quick Guard...

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
- Psycho Shift?
- Icy Wind

This think is so hard to take down that every team has a dedicated counter or 2. Leftovers for recovery and Its EV's are dumped into defense but with a calm nature to take hits comfortably from both ends of the spectrum. Psyshock is standard. Helping Hand is a great doubles move as is Icy Wind creating Speed Control for my rather sluggish team except Thundurus. I couldn't think of a fourth move so I just stuck on Psycho Shift due to the sheer amount of people attempting to poison her to death. Any Suggestions?

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 98 Def / 40 SpA / 98 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Hitmontop's partner in crime. The duo consist of a utility lead and the other an offensive anti-lead and part 1 of anti-TR team core. Thundurus takes advantage of it's amazing ability via Taunt which shuts down TR teams and Follow Me/Rage Powder and Stallish pokemon as well as the prominent status conditions. It's other move is the Spammable Thunder wave. This provides a third output of speed control. The other moves are for coverage. HP Ice is for Lando T who loves leading with its intimidate and Thunderbolt is STAB. It's EV spread might be a bit weird but it gives it a decent amount of bulk to work with at the cost of an ok 265 speed.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Def / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
-Flamethrower
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Crunch

One of the most OP over powered beasts in the metagame. And for good reason. It's natural bulk, amazing Attack is a killer combination. It's EV's are standard bulky sweeper. It also forms Part 2 of anti-TR core with Thundurus. If Thundurus fails to taunt a TR team then T-Tar uses a brave Nature and 0 Speed EV's to catch up to the Trick Roomers and most are weak to its STAB crunch. Protect is standard in doubles and so is It's STAB rock slide. Flamethrower is for Scizor/Ferrothorn/Escalvier etc.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

This thing coupled with Specs is one of the most powerful sweepers in the metagame. It's EV's have no speed investment due to it being horrendous anyway but are dumped into bulkiness to increase longevity. Hyper Voice with Pixilate hits insanely hard. The others are coverage moves. Psyshock hits Amoongus hard and HP Fire is used for bug/steels or grass/steels who otherwise wall this set. Shadow Ball hits Aegislash hard which loves switching into sylveon.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpA
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Muddy Water/Scald
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

This thing is one of the most used pokemon in doubles and for a good reason. It laughs at rain team while absorbing water type attacks aimed at T-Tar and all the Scalds attempting to burn Hitmontop and T-Tar. It's EV's allow it to take a grass knot from a Thundurus comfortably while dishing out decent damage. Protect is for scouting or stalling out weather if T-Tar cannot switch. Earth Power and one of the two water type moves provide STAB but I can't decide which one to use. Icy Wind provides another speed controller.

I would definitely go feint over Sucker Punch. Feint's really useful especially to break wide guards since your team has a lot of spread moves.

I don't think there's a "sheer amount" of people using toxic in doubles so Psycho Shift doesn't seem worth it to me. Trick Room could be a solid option since your team is actually pretty slow and TR would be more reliable than icy wind usually. Having TR also helps playing against trick room, using it to reverse theirs. Classic protect is also a nice move to have if you dont want TR.

And I would personally go Sitrus over Lefties on all the mons you're using them on.

Could you elaborate on why your thundurus is set the way it is? and my advice on it is @252hp 132+def it survived two rock slides from most lando-t

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey RonenB, cool team you got here. I like your hitmontop core, I haven't seen that in a while. However, I feel like some of your sets could be optimized for the metagame.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball

This set, with 56 hp & 200 defense guarantees that Sylveon will live one of Mega Kangaskhan's powerful Parental Bond-boosted attacks. HP Ground is usually preferred over Fire because it provides Sylveon means to KO Heatran.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

I recommend that you use Suicune over Gastrodon for the following reasons: it has better bulk, better typing (everything has grass coverage in doubles), and Tailwind. The set you see here is the offensive one from the analysis. The 228 speed manages to outspeed base 70 pokemon, namely Breloom and Bisharp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)