ORAS Doubles OU Alright

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright
Alls my life I has to fight, nigga
Alls my life I
Hard times like "God"
Bad trips like "Yea"
Nazareth, I'm fucked up
Homie you fucked up
But if God got us
Then we gon be alright

Hello, welcome to my new Rate my Team called "Alright", the team originally was a counterteam to Stratos for the Round 2 of the Winter Seasonals, however that didn't really work out as I took a big fat loss. I still feel like this team has potential and is a strong and fun team to pick, with little weaknesses.

The song I chose on top is Kendrick Lamar's Alright from his new album called To Pimp a Butterfly, which is one of my favourite albums I have ever listened to. I'm planning on making 15 other RMTs, all based on this new album, so wish me luck.

[16:19] Lana Del seldo: nah put ur shopping lsit in it
- 6 vanilla cola
- 6 cherry cola
- chocolate cookies
- toilet paper
Teambuilding
Nigga we gon' be alright
Nigga we gon' be alright
We gon' be alright
Do you hear me, do you feel me? We gon' be alright
Nigga we gon' be alright
Huh, we gon' be alright
Nigga, we gon' be alright

Again, I built this team mostly as a counterteam to Stratos who I faced round 2 of the Winter Seasonals. The team however doesn't have anything too crazy, as it turned out that Stratos' teams were slightly weak to standard Mega-Diancie teams.​

Stratos dumped his teams in this post (back when there were only 4 teams on it) and I knew he didn't take me serious enough as an opponent to use a different team.

Obviously we start out with Diancie, being a huge threat in the current metagame. I noticed he had slight difficulties checking it if he wouldn't play well around it, so this was the best choice. I could've gone for Kangaskhan but I dislike playing Kangaskhan mirrors.

Call it lazy teambuilding, but Landorus-Therian is simply too good to pass up. If we look at the usage stats from Seasonals, it's quite obvious that this is by far the most splashable and useful Pokemon in the tier. I went for the standard Choice Scarf set because I had no desire for anything else silly. Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian is simply extremely strong with high damage, high coverage, a fantastic typing etcetera.

Talonflame seemed like it would sort of fit in this composition. Will-O-Wisp would cripple his Mega-Kangaskhan and Landorus-Therians significantly, which seemed a good idea because his Kangaskhan didn't use Seismic Toss. Also I knew that Tailwind would be strong because Stratos' teams didn't have speed control bar his Trick Room team.

Aegislash is a great Steel-type that first of all keeps Diancie in check, and second of all deals well with Kangaskhan if you play well around the Sucker Punch mind-game. Also I felt like it was a relevant choice because it is by far the best Wide Guard user. Using Wide Guard allowed me to not straight up lose to Landorus-Therian, nor lose to Blizzard spam.

Hydreigon synergizes extremely well with Aegislash, as well as making it a Fairy Steel Dragon core with Diancie, giving me some style points I guess. Other than that Hydreigon together with Aegislash was a strong core to counter Stratos' Trick Room. I was especially scared for that because Trick Room can be extremely strong and Stratos knows how to play around it.

We conclude with Keldeo. Again I thought it was a strong pick. With Keldeo I have the ability to block Kangaskhan Fake Outs, Thundurus Thunder Waves and Talonflame Brave Birds, which made it seem like a decent pick despite me not being really weak to Thundurus or Talonflame. I still felt like having a strong STAB attack to get rid of Kangaskhan was a great choice.
In-depth
Uh, and when I wake up
I recognize you're looking at me for the pay cut
But homicide be lookin' at you from the face down
What Mac-11 even boom with the bass down

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Protect

Diancie is a super strong pick, being one of the strongest Megas in the tier with lots of good matchups. Obviously it has Diancite, because regular Diancie is incredibly weak. Obviously it has it's crippling weaknesses, but a strong spread move in Diamond Storm, and good Steel and Dragon checks with Earth Power and Moonblast make it a very strong Mega to deal with.

Schemin', and let me tell you 'bout my life
Painkillers only put me in the twilight
Where pretty pussy and Benjamin is the highlight
Now tell my momma I love her but this what I like, Lord knows

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian is together with Mega-Diancie an incredibly relevant pick, simply because everything about Landorus-Therian is simply super strong.

Choice Scarf is the obvious choice, it allows it to utilize its strengths well. I also think it's just simply a better choice than Assault Vest, Life Orb or any other silly sets like the bulky Sitrus Berry set. You have a super strong ability which can significantly weaken physical attackers such as Kangaskhan, Metagross, Mega-Diancie, opposing Landorus-Therian, basically every physical attacker.

Having two super strong STAB attacks which are spread as well is fantastic. Superpower is a great coverage move that keeps Kangaskhan in check a little bit more, also U-Turn allows it to get in, spread Intimidate, and get out real quickly.

Other options:
If you're struggling with sun I guess you could use Stone Edge over Rock Slide. I prefer Rock Slide because having spread, a 30% to flinch and less misses are quite strong.

Some people use Knock Off over Superpower, but I don't think Knock Off is as relevant as Superpower. Superpower just deals so much more damage.
20 of 'em in my Chevy, tell 'em all to come and get me
Reapin' everything I sow, so my karma come
I'm a motherfuckin' gangster in silence for the record
Tell the world I know it's too late

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Protect

Talonflame is a strong pick, which is also reflected in the Fall Seasonal usage stats. It has a quite bit of variance. I chose a slightly weird set in the fact that I don't have a Fire STAB move. I chose using two utility moves because I felt that being able to Will-O-Wisp my opponent's physical attackers and being able to control speed and give me the edge with Tailwind would be more relevant in my tournament games than a Fire STAB. I went with the obvious Brave Bird next, because a priority STAB 120 base power move is crazy strong.

Other options:
It's probably better to in fact run a Fire attack over either Will-O-Wisp or Tailwind. You could use either Flare Blitz or Overheat. I personally like Overheat a bit more because it allows you to spam more Brave Birds, and not get walled by Aegislash.

What you want, you a house, you a car?
40 acres and a mule, a piano, a guitar?
Anything, see my name is Lucy, I'm your dog
Motherfucker, you can live at the mall

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Also one of the most frequently used Pokemon in the tier, simply due to the strength and utility it brings. I felt like it was necessary to use the Safety Goggles over a Weakness Policy due to the fact I didn't have any grass-types on my team previously. Despite having a Taunt user and a Magic Bounce user, I still like being overprepared for sleep.

The EV spread is straight forward, it doesn't hit any specific benchmarks, just made for underspeeding all opponents, which might've been useful if Stratos had brought his Trick Room team. I went with Wide Guard because I feel like it is its strongest utility move, being able to block Heat Waves and Earthquakes. The set is completed with the obvious Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon and King's Shield.

Other options:
I guess Weakness Policy wouldn't be too bad, thinking about it. You can catch opponents Amoonguss off guard by simply using Taunt on Hydreigon, or by using Mega-Diancies Magic Bounce ability.

If you want you could switch up the set German Aegislash, a set created by Lohgock which can be found on the dead Doubles Blog.

I can see the evil, I can tell it, I know it's illegal
I don't think about it, I deposit every little zero
Thinkin' of my partner, put the candy, paint it on the Regal
Diggin' in my pocket, ain't a profit big enough to feed you

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Fire Blast

I might be using a weird Hydreigon set, as you probably wouldn't expect Taunt on a Hydreigon. It's honestly probably not that good but it is decent enough to throw other Amoonguss and Thundurus off guard. Some people might opt out for a Modest nature instead of Timid but I felt like the speed was more relevant than the strength.

Obviously I used a Dragon STAB move, in Draco Meteor. I guess you could use Dragon Pulse like some people do on Latios but I don't know how good that is. I chose to use Fire Blast because I did not have the fire STAB on Talonflame, and I felt like my Ground moves were stacked enough with Diancie's Earth Power and Landorus-Therian's Earthquake.

Other options:
Flamethrower
over Fire Blast if you're a pussy.
Everyday my logic, get another dollar just to keep you
In the presence of your chico... ah!
I don't talk about it, be about it, everyday I sequel
If I got it then you know I got it, heaven, I can reach you

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Keldeo felt like a great concluding mon, being able to support the rest of the team with Quick Guard and strong coverage moves in Secret Sword and Hydro Pump. I feel like there's little to add to this, its just a really good Pokemon that is able to beat Landorus-Therian, Mega-Kangaskhan and other relevant threats in the Doubles metagame.

Other options:
Scald over Hydro Pump for the better burn chance and more accuracy.

Pet dog, pet dog, pet dog, my dog, that's all
Pick back and chat, I trap the back for y'all
I rap, I black on track so rest assured
My rights, my wrongs, I write til' I'm right with God

Threatlist:
Wouldn't you know
We been hurt, been down before
Nigga, when our pride was low
Lookin' at the world like "where do we go?"
Nigga, and we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho
Nigga I'm at the preacher's door
My knees gettin' weak, and my gun might blow
But we gon' be alright
Aegislash
I think I deal with Aegislash decently, with Hydreigon and my own Aegislash, however I might have some difficulties dealing with Weakness Policy sets if I don't play around correctly.

Amoonguss
Amoonguss is quite easily dealt with. Hydreigon has Taunt to deal with it, Mega-Diancie has Magic Bounce to bounce any Spores away and Talonflame offensively checks it.

Mega-Charizard-Y
Charizard-Y can be dealt with as long as Landorus-Therian and Mega-Diancie are still alive. Talonflame can deal with Venusaur.

Mega-Diancie
Aegislash and Landorus-Therian check Mega-Diancie decently well.

Mega-Kangaskhan
Quick Guard Keldeo checks Fake Out from Kangaskhan. Will-O-Wisp Talonflame checks it. Superpower Landorus-Therian and Secret Sword Keldeo check it.

Keldeo
Moonblast Mega-Diancie and Brave Bird Talonflame offensively check it.

Landorus-Therian
Intimidate Landorus-Therian checks it, Wide Guard Aegislash defensively checks it, Keldeo offensively checks it.

Talonflame
Mega-Diancie sort of checks it. I might have some difficulties with Talonflame if I don't have Quick Guard Keldeo on the field.

Bisharp
Keldeo offensively checks it, Fire Blast Hydreigon checks it. Will-O-Wisp Talonflame checks it.

Heatran
Landorus-Therian offensively checks it. Wide Guard Heatran checks it. Keldeo offensively checks it.

Hydreigon
Keldeo offensively checks it slightly, Aegislash switches into Draco Meteor, Mega-Diancie switches into Draco Meteor and offensively checks it with Moonblast. Superpower Landorus-Therian checks it.

Jirachi
Landorus-Therian checks it if its non Icy Wind Jirachi, Will-o-Wisp Talonflame nullifies its damage, Aegislash checks it offensively, Fire Blast Hydreigon checks it offensively, Keldeo pumps a lot of damage.

Kyurem-Black
Mega-Diancie checks if it isn't Choice Scarf. Aegislash sort of checks it? Hydreigon offensively checks it, Keldeo offensively checks it.

Latios
Mega-Diancie offensively checks it, Landorus-Therian deals U-Turn damage, Aegislash offensively checks it.

Rotom-Wash
Hydreigon and Aegislash wear it down with strong attacks.

Thundurus
Quick Guard Keldeo checks Thunder Waves, Mega-Diancie checks it offensively, Landorus-Therian slightly.

Mega-Gardevoir
Mega-Diancie wears it down with strong attacks. Aegislash both offensively and defensively checks it with Wide Guard, it's typing and Flash Cannon and Shadow Ball.

Mega-Gengar
Mega-Diancie, Landorus-Therian offensively check it. Talonflame wears it down with strong attacks. Hydreigon checks it offensively.

Ferrothorn
Hydreigon checks it offensively, Keldeo checks it offensively(??), Will-o-Wisp Talonflame nullifies its damage.

Mega-Metagross
Talonflame checks it with Will-o-Wisp, Hydreigon offensively checks it, Aegislash as well.

Sylveon
Wide Guard Aegislash sort of checks it, Aegislash offensively checks it, I kinda lose to this though lol

Importable:
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

Talonflame (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Protect

Aegislash (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Fire Blast

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Nigga we gon' be alright
Nigga we gon' be alright
We gon' be alright
Nigga we gon' be alright
Huh, we gon' be alright
Nigga, we gon' be alright

Shoutout section:
Yoda2798 Hashtag Paraplegic Laga checkmater75 and everyone else

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
-Pretty good team man, infact no crippling weakness, but I think you would want a fire STAB on talon, as it fails in quite a few matchups without it. Also yours isn't a bulky one though nobody runs one lol, so will-o-wisp though attractive but is kind of redundant on it.

-Also I am interested to know about matchups against TR, I know you have hydreigon and aegi, but quite a few TR megas might give you problems if played well. I don't want to change your team because everything looks so important here but I feel banded azu might give you lot of problems.

That's all cool team :) .

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
-Pretty good team man, infact no crippling weakness, but I think you would want a fire STAB on talon, as it fails in quite a few matchups without it. Also yours isn't a bulky one though nobody runs one lol, so will-o-wisp though attractive but is kind of redundant on it.

-Also I am interested to know about matchups against TR, I know you have hydreigon and aegi, but quite a few TR megas might give you problems if played well. I don't want to change your team because everything looks so important here but I feel banded azu might give you lot of problems.

That's all cool team :) .
I feel like Trick Room gives this team problems despite having Hydreigon and Aegislash, I think I have some troubles covering some Trick Room attackers and dealing with Trick Room setters as well, so many I could improve my team in that regard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)