An Inside look at how Global staff decide their promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is not leaking anything. Just wanted to preface this post with that, lmao.

[07:58:14] @Shaymin: so i have a great idea for another player article but it's kinda risky
[07:58:16] &Scene: oh
[07:58:39] @Shaymin: [07:21:24] shaymin: it can be a satire article
[07:58:40] @Shaymin: [07:21:26] shaymin: hm
[07:58:41] @Shaymin: [07:21:34] shaymin: "An inside look at how global staff participates in policy"
[07:58:48] @Shaymin: [07:21:40] shaymin: obv i'll just bullshit and not leak real posts
[07:58:49] @Shaymin: [07:21:43] shaymin: but it'll be funny
[07:59:17] &Scene: well
[07:59:26] &Scene: you remember the shitstorm around prem's
[07:59:46] &Scene: can we do funny
[07:59:46] @Shaymin: oh
[07:59:48] @Shaymin: inside jokes?
[07:59:50] &Scene: without making us look bad
[08:00:36] @Shaymin: theres also another one ive been meaning to try out
[08:01:08] @Shaymin: like I want to do a Player-version of !faq staff except more current?
[08:02:12] &Scene: yeah that would be quite useful actually
[08:02:30] &Scene: if we don't already have stuff like that, which we might
[08:02:45] &Scene: "how to be a good presence in lobby" comes to mind
[08:03:17] @Shaymin: hm
[08:03:30] @Shaymin: we can merge both ideas
[08:03:37] @Shaymin: my original one was
[08:03:52] @Shaymin: "an inside look at how global staff do promotions" and actually kind of interview senior staff to see what they look for
[08:03:56] @Shaymin: but the risky part about that is
[08:04:00] @Shaymin: you'd get shittons of fake users
[08:04:04] @Shaymin: who try to appeal to just your interests
[08:04:08] @Shaymin: idk if that's a huge concern or not?
[08:04:32] @Shaymin: that's really the only downside
[08:05:31] &Scene: not a big concern to me
[08:07:20] @Shaymin: ah, alright then. so should i go post it in article submissions?
[08:19:15] &Scene:yeah, give me le detailed outline

The title of the article can be renamed if necessary, but I really want to get a more personal perspective on how certain global staff does promotions. This article will serve as somewhat of a replacement (and more current/updated/helpful) version of !faq staff, so that users can refer to what they really need to work for if they want to become global staff.

That being said, I'd like a lot of opinions from mods + senior staff as a whole. Would it be wise to interview just SS + a few mods? We do have a lot of mods as well as senior staff, so maybe it'd be better to interview the mods and leaders/admins that just participate in policy?

How do you guys think this should be done?

Last edited:

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it would be cool to open the article with a concise introduction, then lead straight into the "interviews," and close with a short summation of the main points. I think we should only interview mods, leaders, and admins who are pretty involved in policy because we would have way too many interviews for one article otherwise.

Right. I plan to start things off definitely with an introduction, and then after that, start off with the main question: "what qualities do you look for in a potential voice? How does this differ from driver standards?" After that, list answers from various senior staff members. How does that sound?

That's just one question that I made up on the spot, but to keep the article interesting a fresh, I want to think of more, original questions that inspire thoughtful answers on behalf of the policy staff members.

Sounds good on the interview front.

As for other original questions, I would just look to popular policy discussions to inspire food for thought. If limiting this to staff promotions is too constricting, something regarding rule changes, movements in advancing the community, and so on. I couldn't think of another staff-related question myself, but then I haven't sat down and thought about it.

So, I managed to get Vacate's opinion on things:

[05:15:18] @Vacate: as for interviews:
[05:15:28] @Vacate: I think you should limit asking each person one question
[05:15:36] @shaymin: hm
[05:15:38] @shaymin: yeah that would be a more
[05:15:41] @shaymin: quicker way to go about with it
[05:15:47] @shaymin: Go through each senior staff member and ask one question only
[05:15:49] @shaymin: or policy mod
[05:15:54] @shaymin: That would make things more efficient and easier to read
[05:16:00] @Vacate: ok
[05:16:03] @Vacate: cool

Definitely the route I'm going to take with this article. Also, I'm going to expand this article so it includes policy discussions in general and not just covering promotions, for maximum topic flexibility. It's so readers can see what it's like for senior staff as well as policy mods and what their experiences are like discussing policy. It's going to define what policy is, what it covers, and how it's important and relevant to the reader at hand/how it affects them, and how we discuss/decide upon them and our feelings regarding them (i might've repeated myself, but w/e).

A section of it might be promotional topics specifically since that's quite a bit to cover, but it will be condensed, it's not like there's a whole lot to talk about on that manner.

Is this acceptable? o:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)