Are you supposed to think with your heart or head in this situation?

A little backstory is necessary.

I love Theater. I love acting. Although, I decided a little while ago that even though I have a lot of passion for it, I would major in something else and start a career in that (I guess at this point I thought with my head, because Theater isn't something that gets you tons of job offers). The good thing about acting is that you don't have to do it as a career or professionally. I can participate in local productions and the like when I'm older; with this I have no problem. I still like taking acting classes though, and am in one currently. Last week I auditioned for a play that we're doing. I must say I was a bit nervous going into it, but I thought "what the fuck" because it's good for experience ust good experience.

So yeah, I'm there. We're all auditioning, blah blah blah. There's this guy who goes on stage. He was absolutely fucking amazing. His voice projection was awesome, and even though it was a cold read, he turned it from the usual "oh here's a line and then another line" to a "omg it's like he's having an actual conversation." I was amazed at how smooth he was able to do everything, especially since it was his first time looking over the scene. He didn't simply "show emotion" that many non-actors get caught up on and scout for, he was a REAL, COMPLETE CHARACTER. And that was done on a whim. Major props.

Fast forward to today, one of the casting directors calls me and another student from my class outside. She told us that we both got the part (2 male leads, the amazing guy in the second paragraph tried out for both). The other guy was all happy and shit, I was too, except there was one problem. The amazing guy didn't get any part! This confused me a lot. Even though we're both decent there is NO FUCKING WAY we should have been cast over him. I can only conclude that the reason we were cast is because we aren't unattractive, and that guy is.

And this makes me feel like shit. On one hand I'm thinking that it's not my fault (it's the actually casting directors fault if they only want average actors compared to an amazing one), and that this can be some good general experience I can use (my major is big on working in groups, etc...). Also, the sad truth is that if you don't look right for the part, or can't even make it work somehow, the casting directors will drop you faster than the speed of light. This is a sad truth that this guy has to face in this industry. The first thing they judge you by is appearance, headshots really do speak a 1000 words. And I feel bad for this guy that it's this way; I'm sure he'll still get roles when he starts his career, I just hate that he'd be rejected for roles he's perfect for just because of his appearance, because a good amount of the time you can make it work for you.

And on the other hand....I'm thinking about dropping out and giving the casting directors a recommendation to give him the part. It's odd. I don't even know the kid but I feel so strongly about this. Completely opposite of the other guy who got cast. I tried talking to him but he basically has the attitude that "it's a dog eat dog world" and that "he wasn't that good anyway." I was just like, really, you think we deserve the part just because we got better genes then he did??? -____-

Alright Smogon, I gave you more than you needed to know; I'm really bad at that. I just basically wanted to ask you what you guys would do in this situation. Would you stay or would you go? This made me really doubt myself a lot. It seems you need a thicker skin and a colder heart than I originally thought. At this point I'm leaning more on keeping the role...even though he can probably make use of it much more than I can.

~This might start some discussion about other things (somehow). I don't have a problem with that as long as someone can help me come to a final decision. :x~

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
If they feel strongly enough to not cast the other guy, despite how amazing he apparently is, then you quitting will not change a thing. Just keep the part and be happy about it, because otherwise you are just giving it to someone else, who in all likelihood is not as good as you are.

If they feel strongly enough to not cast the other guy, despite how amazing he apparently is, then you quitting will not change a thing. Just keep the part and be happy about it, because otherwise you are just giving it to someone else, who in all likelihood is not as good as you are.
This. While you may think that the other guy deserves the part, if you quit, they still probably aren't going to cast him. I'd say keep the part, and have fun with it. I hate to sound like a douche, but what the other male lead said is right: It's a dog eat dog world. No matter how much it might suck, it is in mankind's nature to be unfair and competitive. Just do the play, and who knows? One day you might to do what you love for the rest of your life.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In acting, appearance is important as well. There are parts he will get that you will not be cast for. It's about audience perception. How attractive you are - and how attractive you aren't - are both part of the job description. I wouldn't worry about it in this case and as mentioned, he wouldn't get the part regardless of you quitting.

Not to mention you might be better than you think!

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Good looking people get more in life. I've gotten lots of little perks all over the place that I know I would not get if I were ugly. Women especially do.

I suppose your question is "is this ethical/should I feel wrong or dirty". Honestly, I'm reminded of a House quote: "Would that upset you, really? To think that you were hired because of some genetic gift of beauty, not some genetic gift of intelligence?" Ultimately your abilities as an actor and how good you look relative to the other guy were determined by your genetics and your choices, and if both are relevant to your casting director's choice, it makes little sense to feel bad.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you have to ask yourself how much you want the role. If you really don't care about it (and it sounds like your interest really is borderline just from your write-up, sorry if I read it wrong), and you really feel strongly-- dropping out would not be odd.

Really depends how much you want to do it I think.

This. While you may think that the other guy deserves the part, if you quit, they still probably aren't going to cast him. I'd say keep the part, and have fun with it. I hate to sound like a douche, but what the other male lead said is right: It's a dog eat dog world. No matter how much it might suck, it is in mankind's nature to be unfair and competitive. Just do the play, and who knows? One day you might to do what you love for the rest of your life.
The thing is I shouldn't automatically assume if I withdraw from the production that they wouldn't pick him...I mean he really is amazing. Than again they'd still have time for another audition for the role if they really dislike everybody else....blah.

In acting, appearance is important as well. There are parts he will get that you will not be cast for. It's about audience perception. How attractive you are - and how attractive you aren't - are both part of the job description. I wouldn't worry about it in this case and as mentioned, he wouldn't get the part regardless of you quitting.

Not to mention you might be better than you think!
I know. I dedicated a good amount of the 4th paragraph saying that...It's just. I don't know. I guess I just hate it. I'm technically at the better end of it but I just think it fucking sucks. Especially how nowadays it's so easy to cast someone attractive as an unattractive character, and make them unattractive by external means, while the opposite is much more difficult.

And I like to think that I'm good, but I know that I have a shitload to work on. I don't have a big ego. That's one of the worst qualities an actor can have.

Good looking people get more in life. I've gotten lots of little perks all over the place that I know I would not get if I were ugly. Women especially do.

I suppose your question is "is this ethical/should I feel wrong or dirty". Honestly, I'm reminded of a House quote: "Would that upset you, really? To think that you were hired because of some genetic gift of beauty, not some genetic gift of intelligence?" Ultimately your abilities as an actor and how good you look relative to the other guy were determined by your genetics and your choices, and if both are relevant to your casting director's choice, it makes little sense to feel bad.
It's not like I'm terrible. I hope that's not what people are getting from my posts. It's just that I thought he did an amazing job and was much better than me in the audition; better than anyone else actually. I'd have to be at least decent to get the part over everyone else if he didn't get it....

I guess it has more to do with the kind of personality we all have. I see this as really sad and sickening while others (like the other male lead) see no problem with it. Probably depends on a case by case basis. Although, judging from all your posts, I think I might be in the minority on this....

I think you have to ask yourself how much you want the role. If you really don't care about it (and it sounds like your interest really is borderline just from your write-up, sorry if I read it wrong), and you really feel strongly-- dropping out would not be odd.

Really depends how much you want to do it I think.
I didn't want it to come off that way. I said in the first few lines that I love acting. It's just at this point in my life, I don't see it as a career. I see it more as a hobby/something to help relieve stress/something that I love doing in my free time. For this guy, acting is everything. So I feel that it's a bit unfair the role was taken away from him.

My being in it wouldn't be a waste though, since I love acting in the first place. Also, being in a production gives people experience no matter what their career is. It improves your social skills, memorization, etc...So it's not like being in a production is a waste even if you don't want to have a career in acting/theater.

You guys do bring up some good points. I have a lot to think about come Thursday when we all meet.

Define unattractive.
As in physically unappealing. I know that this is subjective, but I'm being honest. If he was physically attractive AND amazing he'd get the part. He's also overweight. Not that overweight = unattractive. Far from it; I have friends who can pull that off really well, but this guy doesn't.

Best advice: Keep the part. That guy will get his chances one day, perhaps better ones than you. He won't be feeling bad then.

I don't know much about theater, but I do know that if you care about something, you should try to put your best foot forward in ALL parts of it. That means that if you want a job, along with your killer resume, you wear your best suit to the interview, actually bother with your hair gel and clearasil, and consider a week-long crash diet to slim down if necessary.

In theater, which sounds like appearances matter a lot in, this guy should have known that everything is part of the game: voice inflection, being in character, AND how you look. If he truly cared about theater, he would invest in his appearance, get a gym membership, and eat less food.

I don't know much about theater, but I do know that if you care about something, you should try to put your best foot forward in ALL parts of it. That means that if you want a job, along with your killer resume, you wear your best suit to the interview, actually bother with your hair gel and clearasil, and consider a week-long crash diet to slim down if necessary.

In theater, which sounds like appearances matter a lot in, this guy should have known that everything is part of the game: voice inflection, being in character, AND how you look. If he truly cared about theater, he would invest in his appearance, get a gym membership, and eat less food.
That's a bit harsh don't you think? I mean, if it was that easy I'm sure a ton of people would have been successful by now instead of wallowing about their weight.

Anyways, we're all meeting up tomorrow and I'm still shaky on this. Either way I need to come to a final decision tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated....

That's a bit harsh don't you think? I mean, if it was that easy I'm sure a ton of people would have been successful by now instead of wallowing about their weight.

Anyways, we're all meeting up tomorrow and I'm still shaky on this. Either way I need to come to a final decision tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated....
If you're a man, it's definitely possible to be overweight and do just fine in the public spotlight. It never seemed to bother Jack Black, did it? And I can name countless rappers who are far from the bodybuilder physique of 50 Cent.

But being fat is no excuse not to still care about your appearance. From what I gather, this guy invested a lot of effort into his acting, but just didn't care about appearances, which cost him.

Regarding actual weight loss: you underestimate what just 1 week of regular gym work and healthy eating can do. If your body is in a state of complete unfitness, you make really fast initial gains (bodybuilding forums call them "noob gains").

If this guy is as good as you say he is, he doesn't need this part; he will get his break at some point in some other play. If he's really that awesome, he will eventually get a part that will make your casting director kick herself for not seeing what truly was talent. If acting is his life, he won't give up after losing this one part, because people in the real world have to face rejection all the time no matter how good they are, and the ones who make it are the ones who keep trying.

Meanwhile, you did get the part, and you got it for whatever reason. Just accept it with grace and do your best. That is all anyone can ever expect of you; you might even be better at acting than the guy you are describing, because one is often one's own worst critic. Don't doubt yourself, and don't try to do the "noble" thing, either, because really, if he didn't get any part, what makes you think he'll be the lead now? Don't you think the director would have already picked an understudy??? As much as you thought he was "perfect for the part," the director obviously feels differently, and your stepping down could almost be interpreted as disrespectful towards both her and the other guy (who, if he's anything like me, might not even want the part if you felt you had to give it to him, since it almost seems like you did it out of pity even if you didn't). Just take the part and don't worry about it.

Well think about this: Would you rather have a devastatingly ugly overweight man with tons of acne and oily hair on your television screen? Or would you rather want to see a dashingly handsome sexy beast instead? Some people obviously want the latter o_o.

Note: This is hypothetical--not really explicitly towards your situation--its just a general statement.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well think about this: Would you rather have a devastatingly ugly overweight man with tons of acne and oily hair on your television screen? Or would you rather want to see a dashingly handsome sexy beast instead? Some people obviously want the latter o_o.

Note: This is hypothetical--not really explicitly towards your situation--its just a general statement.
This, except maybe not so harsh? Despite what a utopia would be, everything is competitive, and to a certain extent, unjust. If this were a mathematics competition, then appearances wouldn't matter, but hey, this is theater/theatre. This is drama. You are on stage acting, and since you're live up there, appearances will count, no matter what (unless you're playing in the orchestra or something random like that, but w/e).

andrea

/me cresselias
What's funny is that I've been in a rather similar situation to an extent. In my high school musicals, it was all about who you knew in order to get a part. It was basically a slap in the face to anyone who didn't personally know the director or work on another one of his shows. Absolutely ridiculous. I remember one year a girl helped choreograph his musical at another school. Guess what? Despite being an absolutely terrible actor (no offense, but she seriously could not act >_>), she was given Belle in Beauty and the Beast.

The similarity I draw between your situation and my past was during my senior year. I am not trying to come off as self-centered, but yes, I can act. And I had been ignored every other casting call just because I didn't know any of the important people. So I made up my mind to be completely prepared and show them what I was made of.

Nevertheless, I knocked that audition off its feet. But you know what? The director had already promised the lead role to another female before auditions. The political system of casting was screwed up. But instead, here they had one other chick who knew what she was doing and another that had been promised the role, so they cut the part into two. And I wanted to quit, just because the whole concept was ridiculous. This had never been done before and was only proposed because the director was biased- and I guess that's what I see in your situation. They're going to be biased and have reasons to do that. But there really isn't much you could do. In my case, it was because they had already arranged for their lead role beforehand but didn't know what to do when another option showed up. They stayed biased, and ended up with a musical that was quite sub-par because of the sheer amount of confusion from two people playing the same part.

Like I said, I almost quit, but my friends told me to not give them the satisfaction of deferring to their pre-designated lead. So I stuck with it. In your case, I'd say go for it. They made their decision for a reason and there really isn't much you can do about it. The only thing that ever kept me going was the hope that someday I'll be able to work with kids in theatre productions (I'm an education major eeee <3) and that I won't make the same mistakes.

Good luck! ^_^

Thank you for that post. I like hearing about other peoples experiences.

I've decided to keep the part, although the other male lead and I decided to ditch the meeting today....ahh let's hope she doesn't go psycho on us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)