ORAS Doubles OU Back in Doubles

This is the first time I attempted making a team for any double battle format since gen 5 after finally realizing back then that my team kinda sucked.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
Aside from the intentionally bulkier EV spread, this Thundurus is copied from my OU lead because its so effective in both formats. Taunt helps shut down Trick Room and Tailwind users alike. Thunder Wave compliments this by crippling offensive leads such as Mega Kangaskhan and Talonflame. Thunderbolt is its main STAB move and is directly complimented by HP Ice to handle those immune to Thunderbolt, most importantly Landorus-T. Since the EV spread is more defensive, a Modest nature makes up for the lack of Special Attack investment.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
With Taunt and Thunder Wave used to cripple opposing leads, Heatran is free to set up Substitute. In cases where that might no be possible, Protect can be used instead while Thundurus either cripples or weaken common checks. Heatwave, as its main STAB and as the only spread move on my team, it is primarily used to dish out early damage since Thundurus is usually opening with a support move (although recently I've been thinking about switching to Eruption, please let me know your opinion on this). Earth Power can handle the likes of Chandelure and Terrakion (the latter of which can threaten to KO with Earthquake) but its primarily used against opposing Heatran, so I opted for a Timid nature and max speed to take advantage of it.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
I was seriously tempted to try the Mega option but decided that frailty would be an issue, so I opted for Focus Sash instead to handle the occasional Knock Off and Shadow Sneak. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are powerful STABS and the former allows it to clear away Fairy types that would otherwise be problematic for Conkeldurr and Hydreigon. Will-O-Wisp handles troublesome physical attackers like Landorus T saves Gengar from Mega Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, giving Conkeldurr an opening to KO. Taunt is used for mid-game speed control but more importantly to stop steup sweepers like Belly Drum Azumarill and Rage Powder/Follow Me users who assist them.

Conkeldurr @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Detect
With Sitrus Berry and max HP investment, Conkeldurr focuses on longevity and checks major threats others can't touch, and is my best Pokemon to function during Trick Room. As the only physical attacker on my team, I immediately chose Guts as my ability knowing how prevalent Will-O-Wisp was. Drain Punch is my main STAB move and allows it to heal from damage from undoubtedly faster attackers during any single turn. It can also take down physical attackers that threaten Gengar like Mega Kangaskhan. Mach Punch can pick off any Pokemon weakened by my leads beforehand and can also KO or 2HKO frail, Fighting-weak attackers like Greninja and Weavile. Ice Punch gives very good coverage and can take out common physical attackers, including DD Dragonite (which can fall to Gengar's Will-O-Wisp before being attacked) and walls like Gliscor and Amoonguss. Detect is my last move to protect Conkeldurr from super-effective moves while Gengar, Jirachi, and Hydreigon dispose of common Fairy and Psychic types.

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 Def
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
Jirachi fills a valuable bulky support role and can assist Gengar and Kangaskhan with their wallbreaking capabilities. Its bulky spread and Impish nature give it some bulk against physical attackers, including the dreaded Azumarill. Follow Me allows other team members to attack without worry and its resistances and bulk can redirect threats like Latios and Azumarill. Iron Head is its stongest attacking move and helps Jirachi not be dead weight in any particularly offensive battle. Icy Wind is my backup form of speed control in case Gengar's Taunt fails and is far more reliable as it helps deal additional damage as well. Helping Hand was chosen to help out the offensive Pokemon on my team, and is particularly useful when Mach Punch needs extra power.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect
Hydreigon was added last to my team as a safety measure against Psychic and, more importantly, Ghost types. Draco Meteor is one of the strongest moves on my team and can wear down bulky walls and take out opposing Dragon types. However, I save it as a last resort because of the Special Attack drop. Dark Pulse is the more reliable STAB and can be used alongside Shadow Ball to take out Aegislash in Shield Form to ensure it doesn't dominate when weakness policy activates. Fire Blast was the best possible coverage option and handles Grass and Steel types, which tend to be some of the bulkier Pokemon in the game. Lastly, Protect keeps Hydreigon alive for an extra turn so its partner can take care of Pokemon that could otherise take advantage of some easily exploitable weaknesses.

Despite its frail condition, mega gengar is completely fine to use. Of course, you need appropriate support to use it to its full potential, that is using its ability shadow tag at the cost of Levitate. (Note: you dont have to mega evolve if earthquake or earth power is likely to be a threat.) Nevertheless, you will never get to use much of mega gengar if you don't have Protect. I suggest that you remove taunt since you already have it on Thundurus. At the same time, disable or other status moves may prove to be more valuable to the team than will-o-wisp.

Now, I see that you have a hydreigon on your team. It tends to work well with mega gengar, eliminating threats like heatran (through earth power) and aegislash with ease. To be honest, I really don't think you need fire blast; your heatran already takes care of mons like ferrothorn and amoonguss.

For the matter of your other mons, lets start off with Jirachi. I have no issue with Helping Hand, but Jirachi is very vulnerable to common spread moves such as Heat Wave and Earthquake. Also, Thundurus is a popular choice to Taunt it. If you wish to maintain that valuable Follow Me, I strongly recommend that you use Protect.
You also seem to mention Trick Room a lot as a common threat. If that is the case, Amoonguss works well with Mega Gengar teams too. I mean I would gladly Spore the entire opposing team if given the chance. And this possibility definitely increases with the help of Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag.

Other things I want to say:
I would definitely change your Heatran to Volcanion for better offensive coverage, but you dont really need to.
Conkeldurr would better support your team with Wide Guard and it's quite capable of making dents to opposing team without the assistance of Detect. Otherwise, Choice Landorus-t would be a better choice thanks to Intimidate and its common spread moves that would put scars on common Fire types.

HF

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
What up g. You didn't really give your "vision" per se on what you want this team to be, so I'm going to give you suggestions that imo aim to make best of what you have right now. Here goes:

So the thing I noticed with your team is that it really has no defined goal or mindset on paper; it's basically just a mishmash of pivots and supporters, fast and slow, with neither an "it" Pokemon that can carry its offense nor a set gameplan. This mostly stems from not having a Mega, which really holds this team back as it means you aren't using it to its full potential. You have a supporting cast in Sash Gengar, FM Jirachi, and bulky Thundurus, but the rest of the team can't really capitalize; Guts Sitrus Conk is a bit too weak, Hydreigon has to use Draco at some point which makes it more of a secondary piece preferably, and Heatran doesn't deal damage quickly enough. You also do have somewhat of a vulnerability to Mega Diancie too. My following suggestions aim to help give this team a punch and flow better while also fixing some holes.

My first suggestion is using Mega Charizard Y over Heatran. Using Mega Charizard Y immediately gives you the punch you need because damn Sun STAB Fire-type moves hurt a lot. It hits the same things as Heatran but gives you a lot more offense at the cost of some defensive utility (that you didn't really need because you have another Steel in Jirachi). There's not much else to say, really, other than it's going to be the team's main offensive piece moving forward.

My next suggestion is using Choice Scarf Landorus-T over Gengar. You still needed some offensive oomph there as your team overall was slooooow and would still like more pieces on the offense. With Choice Scarf Landorus-T, you can match up well with a lot of physically offensive, fast stuff now like Mega Diancie, Mega Kangaskhan, etc., and this set gives you a punch, a speed safety net, and a way of checking physicals with Intimidate. Gengar won't be really be missed as you still have Taunt here on Thundurus and Wisp's job can mostly be done with Intimidate.

Last suggestions are small time but important nevertheless; I recommend reading the paragraph after for this section to really make sense. Run Safety Goggles on Jirachi over Sitrus Berry and Trick Room over Icy Wind. Safety Goggles lets you completely block Amoonguss, redirecting its Spores and stuff, and gives you a safe switching to sleep while Trick Room gives you a certain kind of versatility with speed control that will be fully explained later. I also fully recommend using Protect over Helping Hand as this kind of team would really prefer the defensive flexibility more but this isn't really as "required" in a sense. Next, you should run Life Orb Iron Fist Conkeldurr with Hammer Arm over Drain Punch and possibly Wide Guard over Detect. The power boost lets you fully capitalize of the pressure you can apply in TR turns and also gives Conkeldurr a lot more playability with beating stuff, and Wide Guard lets you protect Charizard from Rock Slides that may come your way. Last change is using Earth Power over Fire Blast on Hydreigon; this is basically just to give you another way of dicking Heatran for Charizard + if needed, it lets you put a stray hit on Azumarill.

Basically, what the team has become is one that can handily play both in and out of Trick Room if needed, a SemiTrick Room team if you will. I aimed to make the team like this in order to keep Conk mostly, lol. You have both fast and slow pieces on this team, and with Jirachi you can set the tone of the game if needed (you can use TR against fast stuff and keep as it is if you're mostly faster. You can even reset opposing TR lol). Outside of Trick Room, Choice Scarf Landorus-T gives you a really handy Speed advantage + Mega Charizard Y and Hydreigon should outrun a good number of foes, while in Trick Room, Conkeldurr can hold down the fort for you + since Zard and Hydrei are middling Speed mons, they should match up well against the ordinarily faster stuff in the metgame. You also still have Thundurus on the squad which you can use to spread Thunder Wave with if a situation ever requires you to. Simply put, the squad's flexible.
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

You can use Overheat over HP Ground if you want.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

You can use Detect over Wide Guard

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Trick Room
- Protect

Like I said, you can use HH too. It's your call, mostly.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect
Whatever you do with your team, GL :pimp:

What up g. You didn't really give your "vision" per se on what you want this team to be, so I'm going to give you suggestions that imo aim to make best of what you have right now. Here goes:

So the thing I noticed with your team is that it really has no defined goal or mindset on paper; it's basically just a mishmash of pivots and supporters, fast and slow, with neither an "it" Pokemon that can carry its offense nor a set gameplan. This mostly stems from not having a Mega, which really holds this team back as it means you aren't using it to its full potential. You have a supporting cast in Sash Gengar, FM Jirachi, and bulky Thundurus, but the rest of the team can't really capitalize; Guts Sitrus Conk is a bit too weak, Hydreigon has to use Draco at some point which makes it more of a secondary piece preferably, and Heatran doesn't deal damage quickly enough. You also do have somewhat of a vulnerability to Mega Diancie too. My following suggestions aim to help give this team a punch and flow better while also fixing some holes.

My first suggestion is using Mega Charizard Y over Heatran. Using Mega Charizard Y immediately gives you the punch you need because damn Sun STAB Fire-type moves hurt a lot. It hits the same things as Heatran but gives you a lot more offense at the cost of some defensive utility (that you didn't really need because you have another Steel in Jirachi). There's not much else to say, really, other than it's going to be the team's main offensive piece moving forward.

My next suggestion is using Choice Scarf Landorus-T over Gengar. You still needed some offensive oomph there as your team overall was slooooow and would still like more pieces on the offense. With Choice Scarf Landorus-T, you can match up well with a lot of physically offensive, fast stuff now like Mega Diancie, Mega Kangaskhan, etc., and this set gives you a punch, a speed safety net, and a way of checking physicals with Intimidate. Gengar won't be really be missed as you still have Taunt here on Thundurus and Wisp's job can mostly be done with Intimidate.

Last suggestions are small time but important nevertheless; I recommend reading the paragraph after for this section to really make sense. Run Safety Goggles on Jirachi over Sitrus Berry and Trick Room over Icy Wind. Safety Goggles lets you completely block Amoonguss, redirecting its Spores and stuff, and gives you a safe switching to sleep while Trick Room gives you a certain kind of versatility with speed control that will be fully explained later. I also fully recommend using Protect over Helping Hand as this kind of team would really prefer the defensive flexibility more but this isn't really as "required" in a sense. Next, you should run Life Orb Iron Fist Conkeldurr with Hammer Arm over Drain Punch and possibly Wide Guard over Detect. The power boost lets you fully capitalize of the pressure you can apply in TR turns and also gives Conkeldurr a lot more playability with beating stuff, and Wide Guard lets you protect Charizard from Rock Slides that may come your way. Last change is using Earth Power over Fire Blast on Hydreigon; this is basically just to give you another way of dicking Heatran for Charizard + if needed, it lets you put a stray hit on Azumarill.

Basically, what the team has become is one that can handily play both in and out of Trick Room if needed, a SemiTrick Room team if you will. I aimed to make the team like this in order to keep Conk mostly, lol. You have both fast and slow pieces on this team, and with Jirachi you can set the tone of the game if needed (you can use TR against fast stuff and keep as it is if you're mostly faster. You can even reset opposing TR lol). Outside of Trick Room, Choice Scarf Landorus-T gives you a really handy Speed advantage + Mega Charizard Y and Hydreigon should outrun a good number of foes, while in Trick Room, Conkeldurr can hold down the fort for you + since Zard and Hydrei are middling Speed mons, they should match up well against the ordinarily faster stuff in the metgame. You also still have Thundurus on the squad which you can use to spread Thunder Wave with if a situation ever requires you to. Simply put, the squad's flexible.
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

You can use Overheat over HP Ground if you want.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

You can use Detect over Wide Guard

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Trick Room
- Protect

Like I said, you can use HH too. It's your call, mostly.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect
Whatever you do with your team, GL :pimp:
What Memoric suggested is similar to my favorite and most successful team. This version makes no use of Trick Room, but works just as well.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/wings-of-liberty-sun-team.3577937/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)