Non-Pokébank OU Banded Araquanid Bulky Offense, ft. Assault Vest Tapu Bulu and Z-Memento Pyukumuku

Hello! This is my first-ever time posting an RMT, and I'm honestly quite excited! I built this team around everyone's favorite aqautic arachnid. Araquanid has been a 'mon that's been surprisingly good, Water attacks hitting like like a truck with its unique ability and possessing a fair amount of bulk on the special side. I'm a fairly new teambuilder, and any help is appreciated. I originally posted this in the SM bazaar, but now that RMT is up, ta-daaaa! Welcome to the new and (mildly) improved Araquanid squad!

Boggarak (Araquanid) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab

Here she is, the whole reason I made this team. She's a behemoth with the combination of Water Bubble and Choice Band, 2HKOing and even OHKOing many resists under rain. Nothing wants to switch in, and I've found even Toxapex fears defensive drops. Liquidation is the only move I use, generally, but Poison Jab lures Bulu and as for Bug STAB Lunge lowers attack, with Leech Life for recovery. Anyway, the EVs are max Attack to utterly destroy, 8 in Speed to outpace other Araquanid, and the rest in HP to make you silly durable. Considering running min speed to counter Trick Room, though. Once Pyukumuku Cursepasses to you, just about nothing OHKOs and those that do are usually OHKOed as they switch in. She's a wallbreaker and can even sweep against certain teams.

Reign (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Your standard rainsetter in Sun/Moon, Pelipper does what it always does--sets up rain and serves as a pretty nice pivot. Damp Rock is obligatory, EVs are standard PhysDef, which I have found I prefer to SpDef in the current meta, Roost is for longevity, Hurricane and Scald are your STABs with pleasing effects, and the slow U-Turn is wonderful in gaining momentum.

Pearl (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Brine
- Defog
- Taunt

Physically Defensive Tapu Fini is absolutely wonderful. It's the team's resident Defogger, and its ability protects the team from status. The combination of Nature's Madness and Brine is quite effective even without investment, and Taunt shuts down setup 'mons, hazards, and other such things. The EVs are, well, I'll admit I stole them from somewhere, but they've been rather effective. I'm sure the Speed has relevancy, probably to outspeed other Tapu Fini, and the physically defensive spread has saved me time and time again. In particular, I've found it to be my main Celesteela counter, outlasting the 'mon by neutralizing its Toxics, Taunting its Leech Seeds, and serving as an effective pivot into Pokemon that can handle it better.

QT (Pyukumuku) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Memento
- Curse
- Baton Pass
- Recover

I've fallen in love with Z-Memento and Z-Parting Shot, and this team loves that kind of support. Pyukumuku fulfills this role as well as Cursepassing, usually to Araquanid to make it stupidly bulky on both defenses, and Recover is Recover. Pyukumuku is also my last-ditch stop I pull out if an opponent has set up on me, minimizing casualties, which is especially nice given this team has a weakness to setup sweepers. SpDef because that's mostly what I want to survive, HP for Innards Out and bulk. Water is a lovely defensive typing, and I actually really love the fact that it's weak to Grass and Electric, as most sweepers that threaten the rest of my team OHKO Pyukumuku and thus themselves, or at least bring themselves down to a manageable level of health. Also, as many of those sweepers are physical, investing in special defense often means that they OHKO Pyukumuku and their sweep is halted.

China Shop (Tapu Bulu) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Stone Edge

Assault Vest Tapu Bulu is an amazing 'mon, and man, it synergizes so well with the team, both in utility and typing! Its sky-high SpDef and Electric resist are appreciated (he often functions as my Koko and Xurketree counter), and its Grassy Terrain has prolonged the lives of my team on numerous occasions, and grants Araq in particular the equilivant of Leftovers+Choice Band. And he functions well in his own right, Stone Edge luring troublesome Rock-weak threats, particularly Marowak, Wood Hammer for sheer power, Horn Leech for reliable recoil-free STAB and recovery, and Nature's Madness to catch Celesteela and other walls if they think they can switch in. This guy has saved me many a time, and man again his special bulk is insane!

Heinous (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Finally, I needed a Rocker and an answer to Electric types that wasn't Bulu. Mamo was the perfect fit for this team, with strong priority, Ground and Ice STAB, and the ability to clean lategame if need be. He's actually ended up cleaning up quite a few teams, especially those who assume he's the standard Oblivious/Focus Sash set! The moves are standard Mamoswine fare, rocks, strong duel STAB and Ice priority.

So, uh, yeah. Here she is! Advice is much appreciated. This is one of my first serious attempts at constructing a team, so things may be a bit wonky, but I've played with it quite a lot and have found it to be pretty effective! I peaked around 1400-ish, I believe.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-483428979
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-483942406
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484021206
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484024525
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484033838

Not a rate but just a quick question, isn't Mamoswine's thick fat ability only available after Pokebank? I could be wrong but I believe that was the case.

Not a rate but just a quick question, isn't Mamoswine's thick fat ability only available after Pokebank? I could be wrong but I believe that was the case.
Hm. Showdown has been letting me use it, but it isn't showing up in Serebii's list of available Sun and Moon hidden abilities. Perhaps it's an oversight?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)