Strategy & Metagame Banned But Not Forgotten: How Former OU Monsters Are Doing in Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned But Not Forgotten: How Former OU Monsters Are Doing in Ubers

Hello there, I’m Riley and I would love to write an article for “The Smog”. I believe I have a good idea for a metagame section piece relating to the Uber and OU tiers.

So just what is my idea?

My idea for a Smog article is pretty simple: a look at how well banned, former OU Pokémon are doing in the Ubers tier.

Essentially, it would be written like this:

First, I would pick a Pokémon that was banned in generation five (and possibly four) and sum up its previous performance in OU to explain just why it was banned.

Then would come the real purpose of the article, an analysis on how well this Pokémon is doing in its new tier. Here is where I would answer questions like…
-Is this Pokémon still relevant?
-What type of team does it really shine on?
-What’s giving it trouble?

Then I’d move onto the next Pokémon, rinse, and repeat.

Well, what would this look like? Could the Smog staff see an example?

As a whole, past articles like http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue24/rby_stars have the format my article would use. However, here’s a bare-bones example of what a Pokémon analysis would look like:

Genesect

Being ranked #1 in OU usage is a testament to just how powerful Genesect really was. With great defensive typing, a strong movepool, and “Download” boosting it’s 120-base offenses, this Pokemon was a true Overused terror. He could check…

…Needless to say on November 30th, 2012, Genesect was banned to Ubers.

Today, Genesect’s danger has definitely not diminished. Packing a fearsome STAB U-turn, he can lead, scout, clean, and more…
-…He works best on teams with Hazard support, working well with Dexoys-S, Skarmory…
-…This is not to say Genesect is nigh on invincible. Despite having U-turn to flee from potential checks, this cyborg can be beat by those such as Reshiram, Arceus-Steel…

But whom would I be writing to?

My article would primarily be aimed at battlers in the Uber tier, and to a lesser extent, those that battle in OU.

Do I have authority?

I definitely think so. I honestly love the “anything goes” feeling of the Ubers metagame and understand it quite well. Writing an Ubers article would be right up my alley.

Again, I’d love to be able to write this for “The Smog”, but if this suggestion doesn’t meet your standards, feel free to disregard it entirely.

Thank you for your time :)

-Riley

This looks pretty interesting, and I don't think we've had anything similar. However, I'd be interested in feedback from staff who play if we could get that first, so I won't approve this immediately. Thank you for your application!

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've only touched Ubers slightly but yea those banned OU Pokemon in Ubers mostly fair quite okay there, except like Thundrus and idk about Tornadus-T. It'll be pretty cool to see this article~ Genesect, Blaziken, Excadrill, Deoxys-S are probably must haves! You could probably just cover only BW if you think there are too many Pokemon~

edit: gave the thread the Metagame prefix!

Okay, taking the above post into account and lack of feedback from anyone else, I am gonna go ahead and approve this. Please go here and apply for Smog Access, and then come back and let us know when you've done that so we can give you further instructions!

You should now have access to the Article Workshop forum under The Smog main forum. ^_^ Go and read the What Are We Doing? sticky thread and post that you'll be working on this article, then get started as soon as you're ready. Remember:

1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me or another staffer on the forums and I'll give you a link).

Thank you for your application! If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask The Smog Staff or any of The Smog mentors (of which I am one) for advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)