Battle of the Week: UU Edition! (Resumes after SPL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
We were both online so we ended up playing earlier than scheduled (and also cause I can't afford to miss SPL matchas tonight). With that said, I lost in 3 good games. Below, I'll link the replays and some short commentaries on what went on

Game 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-317822445 -

Rain against a standard Mega Aerodactyl balance squad. Whoever has the match up is arguable, considering he has 2 LO Tornadus checks, a nice Water-type answer in Slowking and a Florges to tank a hit from Kingdra, but I'd still say it looked pretty decent for me. With that in mind, the early game went pretty smoothly up until turn 16. Slowking was sitting at around 50% HP after Regenerator + Rocks and Florges was pretty much his only Kingdra answer at that point, which led me to predict a switch it to either Krookodile or Cobalion. He ended up staying twice on Toxicroak's face, which made it nearly impossible for me to get back into the game. The match just ended up playing itself from there and CM Florges took it home.

Game 2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-317826150 -

Balance against balance, with Sableye and Heracross being the main win conditions in this game. Lucario usually does nicely against balance, but I was packed with a lot of solid answers to it in Gligar (covers anything but Ice Punch SD), Amoonguss and a revenge killer in Aerodactyl (unless it's Bullet Punch SD, which he ended up revealing later in the game). Anyway, the early game is just a bunch of fat Pokemon trying to set up the field for their mates through sleeping stuff or just controlling hazards. Heracross 2HKOs Calm Florges after Stealth Rock damage, which is what I was aiming for in turn 7, but unfortunately for me (and fortunately for whoever brings a Kyurem against that team), he ended up being Bold and tanking Heracross's STAB like a man. He lets Hydreigon die needlessly by trying to 1v1 Empoleon with it, but I also play my Heracross poorly, which I'd say ends up being an even trade due to the amount of work the latter would've done otherwise. From there, the game goes back to "bunch of fat Pokemon doing stuff" which I don't feel like commenting on. I guess it's worth mentioning that Aquadext probably could've played his Sableye better by not letting it tank Toxic and blowing so many Recover PP when he could've used Aromatherapy with Florges to keep it safe from Scald burns. Amoonguss closes the game, strong Pokemon IMO.

Game 3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-317833411 - Lazy me bringing an old ass sun team. Donphan gets a nice early kill but the game just goes downhill from there. I make a bad play by letting Cobalion tank unnecessary damage (thought I'd need Donphan's Ice Shard for later against Bee and Gardevoir) and the match up just plays itself from there, considering it's pretty hard for sun to get past Trace Gardevoir and Protect Beedrill stalling precious sun turns.

ggs :)

GG to pearl, I really enjoyed playing these 3 games ! So here are my thoughts on the games:

Game 1: So purrl brought a rain team against my balance. Nothing really impressive happened in this game, I had a pretty good match-up against this team archetype thanks to Zapdos + Slowking core. I admit I've been way too ballsy when staying in two turns in a row with Florges against Toxicroak, but welp, yolo. After this play, the game game was pretty much done, as purrl's team couldn't overwhelm my fat mons.

Game 2: Pretty decent match-up here, I just played terribly. Trying to 1v1 empoleon was a dumb play, which led to me sacking an important mon that would have been useful against purrl's team. I also misplayed by letting Gligar toxic my sableye twice, which made me lose the game. Pearl summed the game up well, idk what else to say. Also ban Amoongod.

Game 3: HEAD SMASH DONPHAN OML ,, this man is the true one god, I really didn't expect zapdos to die here. Pearl misplayed by switching Cobalion into Beedrill, but that crit Drill Run was the icing on the cake. At this point Beedrill and Trace Gardevoir just did their job and ended the game.

Great games, gg again !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)