Strategy & Metagame Climbing the Ropes: A Guide to Learning a New Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've become super interested in branching out to learn new tiers, so i thought i might as well share what i've learned!

Introduction:
  • talk about all of the tiers and what they have to offer
  • talk about the benefits of knowing more than one tier
  • rewarding experience from learning new playstyles and meeting a whole new community

Battling 101 + Mentorship Program:
  • This section just talks about how to sign up for B101 and how to contact the right mentor
  • outline some usefull threads in the respective subforums (schedule, mentor lists, etc.)
Subforum:
  • Check out the subforum
  • start a project that doesn't require you to have a ton of experience so you can learn from it (research week in nu in my case)
  • viability rankings thread and np thread
  • lurk around the teambuilding and good cores threads

Laddering:
  • you learn the most by making your hands dirty and jumping into the tier
  • some teambuilding tips (not enough for an article alone lmao, but just like "cover your weaknesses etc."

Comparing the new tier to a tier you know:
  • The only reason i caught onto nu so fast was because i kept comparing it to uu, a tier im familiar with.
  • try to take your team from the tier you know, and switch the pokemon out with a similar one in the new tier (helps with learning how each 'mon functions)

Concluding thoughts:
  • repeat the intro kinda
I promise I'll actually work on this lmao, i pretty much finished off my C&C work, so i'm free to contribute to the smog!

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can dig this, as it would be nice for newcomers to learn how to get involved with tiers the right way. Approved.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i should rlly proofread my skeletons lol >.< (so many stupid typos), thanks guys, I'll get on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)