Drake - Thank Me Later

One lyrics section I had a big problem with was this "Wu Tang Clan, niggas want that cream". Okay in Rap/Hip Hop, cream is a common term for rich wealthy items or money. Okay if he just said want that cream I would have been fine. It still would have sucked, but it would make sense. In the terms of the Wu Tang Clan, C.R.E.A.M. means Cash Rules Everything Around Me. How does it make any sense at all saying Wu Tang Clan niggas want that cash rules everything around me? It might be me just not liking this guy, but that was a very, very, very, very poorly written line.
Well he didn't mean it literally in the grammatical sense, that's why he shortened it to cream rather than saying 'cash rules everything around me'. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he meant it grammatically in the first sense, but referenced the other sense as a double entendre, and these things show up a lot in lyrics.

Of course, I still agree with your general sentiments. Why anyone would endeavor to sound like Lil Wayne is beyond me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To use another comparison from pro wrestling, Drake is the John Cena of hip hop today. He is very over hyped and overrated, and does not live up to anything that's been said about him.
Wait, who is Drake? I know who John Cena is. Never heard of this guy.

Half this album is a poor excuse for R&B (Not as if current R&B is good music, mind you). While listening to it, I forgot Drake was a hip hop "artist". There is no energy in this album at all, I'm sure it could be used as elevator music...Being Lil Wayne's protege is also not a good thing either. :/

And yeah, he tries really hard to come across as tough and from the streets and a real thug like, but come on man... Everyone in Canada remembers you as Jimmy, the dude in the wheelchair, from Degrassi. DEGRASSI. What kinda "cred" can you possibly have when you were on a teen drama? lol, so fake.

If he had any flow whatsoever, I might have been able to listen to it, quite honestly.
I can't help but get frustrated everytime I hear one of his songs. .-.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)