Other DUU M-Houndoom Sun Team

I had the idea of a sun core with Torkoal/Houndoom. So, I fiddled around with this. I've won my past four games with it, and I want to see how I could possibly change it.

NOTE: This is for Doubles UU.

Without further adeu, here it is.

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Protect

I knew I needed to use this, because this was the reason I even made this team. A wallbreaker powerful enough to delete even its checks, Houndoom is ridiculous in the sun. The moves are simple. Spread reduction doesn't matter when it's getting 50% added 3 times, so I ran Heat Wave over Fire Blast. Dark Pulse to fill dual STAB. Solar Beam destroys threats like Manaphy, Mega Blastoise, Hippowdon, etc. Protect is to predict hits and block them.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Heat Wave

I needed a Sun summoner, and I wasn't going to use Ninetales due to worse stats. Set up Drought, then get out (if needed). Because of Torkoal's natural and augmented bulk, Eruption will hit 100+ power at least once. Earth Power is standard coverage for the Fire-types that resist the other moves. Protect is self-explanatory. Heat Wave is some chip damage to wear down offensive teams.

Victreebel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Mild Nature
- Acid Spray
- Solar Beam
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off

I chose Victreebel for its great sun ability and nicbe support movepool. With the alotted EV spread, Victreebel can outspeed max Speed Mega Alakazam in sun. Solar Beam is a great STAB sun move on a Grass-Type, and the most common move on sun teams. Acid Spray is instant KO material, turning Houndoom's resisted hits into neutral ones and letting Houndoom pound away for free. Sleep Powder is an amazing 75% sleep move that neutralizes anything threatening. Knock Off does acceptable damage and is a good way to cripple many sets. Sash is to mitigate Victreebel's poor bulk.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Morning Sun

I needed a late-game counter to Grass and Rock, so I chose Scizor for its access to reliable sun recovery in Morning Sun. This covers for Rock and Grass-types, as sometimes both Grasses or both Fires are down, and you still need good coverage. SD, Bullet Punch, Bug Bite, you get the gist. Morning Sun keeps Scizor healthy so it can keep on covering. It also takes off LO damage.

Exeggutor-Alola @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Psych Up

I decided a Trick Room mode was going to help this team due to the previous Speed-based core. I chose Exeggutor because of its great ability, access to wallbreaker-level moves, and great bulk. The star of the Trick Room mode of this team (Torkoal, Exeggutor, and Claydol), Exeggutor is a great sun sweeper and should not be underestimated. With 100% Harvest in sun, Exeggutor refuses to go down, and can spam Solar Beam and Draco Meteor with its longevity. Protect, is, you know. Psych Up counters Evoboost, and mitigates Exeggutor's Draco losses.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Psyshock

I needed a Trick Room setter for my Trick Room mode. I chose Claydol for its exceptional bulk and access to STAB Psyshock tech. A premier Trick Room setter for this team, Claydol has everything needed to keep the TR going. With amazing bulk, access to STAB Earth Power and Psyshock makes it a real boon to the team. Psyshock is a great tech move for the sole reason that this is a more specially-oriented team, and it breaks down a lot of special walls.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)