F.D.A. Orders End to Production of a Form of Anti-Nausea Drug (4/07/07)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/07/washington/07drug.html?ref=health

The FDA (Food & Drug Administration) ordered that all anti-nausea suppositories are to stop being produced because they actually do not work.

This was part of a campaign by the FDA to reevaluate all drugs approved before 1962, since 1962 was the first year that drug makers had to prove that their products really worked.

"The suppositories, sold by prescription under the names Tigan, Tebamide, T-Gen, Trimazide and Trimethobenz, all contain the active ingredient trimethobenzamide.About two million such suppositories are sold each year, said Dr. Jason Woo, an official in the agency’s compliance office. Trimethobenzamide in other forms, including pills and injectables, does have F.D.A. approval for use against nausea and vomiting, the agency said. The agency has had evidence since 1979 that trimethobenzamide suppositories do not work. But the review “requires a lengthy analysis,” Dr. Woo said. Also, the drug makers requested a hearing, “which further slowed the process,” he said." (NYT)

I am a pharmaceutical student, and this is a big uproar for a lot of people.

The concept on an anti nausea suppositories is that they can be used without the risk of vomiting them back up, but a lot of studies have shown in the past that the suppositories are not effective. Prochlorperazine Oral is one of the most common perscribed anti-nausea medications, and now it will certainly grow in usage following this ruling.

Not that this is really entirely on topic, since it is not talking about these in particular, but I am all for any reduction in use of suppositories. Last year when I had the flu they made me shove something up my ass, it was terrible, and they are really easily breakable too!

This is kind of funny, because some of my friends went on a cruise for spring break and came home complaining that their anti-nausea meds weren't working. I guess now I know why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)