ORAS Doubles OU Fake You Out

Hello frens, I'm BuzzkillAmpharos and I'm a new comer to Doubles OU. I can thank my friend Mint16. I've found DOU to be really fun and I've been playing around with one team for the past few days and it has helped me climb the ladder. So, I decided to write up an RMT. Hope you guys enjoy the team!

Teambuilding Process

I knew immediately I wanted to use Weavile. The main reason was because most of my other teams ended up being very slow if I wasn't using Trick Room or Tailwind. And I was looking for a fast lead option, so I thought, what could be better than Weavile? I love the immediate speed and paired with good dual STABs plus a decent attack stat I loved the option of Weavile.

Mega Kangaskhan is the next one on the block. Mega Kang is meant to take advantage of Weavile's ability to eliminate its checks like Lando T and take advantage of the turn 1 fake out by getting to +2 via Power-Up-Punch. Kang is just amazing in the meta and abuses the support from Weavile, not to mention I can also go with a double fake out lead.

Deoxys Attack is really another Pokemon that will love the support Weavile can give it since it is so frail. With it being as frail as it is it really enjoys an almost free turn to attack, not to mention it can nuke things with Psycho Boost and give the team a decent Trick Room answer once the opposing Pokemon are weakened with Extremespeed.

My team was extremely weak to scarfed Landorus T. I needed a dedicated answer to it but also one that could put in work in other areas. So, what better way than to counter it with Landorus I. Lando I beats Lando T almost 100% of the time. At the very least it forces the Lando T to U-Turn, allowing me to safely target down the switch ins.

I added Jirachi to cover a weak point in this team. This team really hates losing members to sleep and more so than other teams ever would. Additionally, my team really appreciates speed control in the form of damage (icy wind). It can also eat up ice hits for days which really helps Lando I function much better against Pokemon like Latios.

Azumarill was the last member to join this team. No, it did not just join simply because AzuRachi is stupid(although its nice to use that). But Azumarill was put on the team to sweep teams late game with Aqua Jet and to patch up a noticeable weakness to Scrafty. It can also be a decent answer to Hoopa U, especially if it does not have Gunk Shot.

The Sets

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Weavile's fake out is amazing to help support Mega Kang set up to +2 straight away and it has done something that I really never expected it to do. It has killed so many threats to my team. It was here for support for sweeps but it has actually killed Lando T and Jirachi more times than I can count. It has helped so much vs Amoonguss and Breloom as well. It has been a potent threat of my team and always does its job and more. I've thought about using feint to make Deoxys that more threatening but the priority that Ice Shard gives against scarf Landorus is just too valuable.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Double fake out lead is always amazing to start off with. Or I can just get straight to +2 with PUP. Sucker Punch is a really solid move to punish things like Deoxys and to overall just get terrific chip damage of things before Kang goes down. Return hits like an absolute truck as well. I have thought about adding Ice Punch on this thing because it really does lure in Landorus T. Kangaskhan often ends up getting a kill, even when it is burned. The beauty of the Weavile Kang core is that often Kang will not care about Burn because it is already at +2.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Detect

Deoxys A has come through some many times in the late game and thats exactly what it is supposed to do. Almost everything hates taking Psycho Boost, as long as it doesn't miss of course. Superpower disposes of Kang after a bit of chip damage and this thing nearly outspeeds the entire meta. Extremespeed also likes to screw over weakened Trick Room teams. Deoxys often hits hard even with the stat drops, with is awesome. It has terrible bulk but that is often just fine has it hits things like a truck.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

This is my dedicated Landorus T counter on the team. It eats up any hit and OHKOs with HP Ice in return. Earth Power is a super powerful STAB that is also boosted by Sheer Force, making it a very powerful neutral hit. Sludge Bomb also takes out fairies like Mega Gardevoir and Azumarill that would otherwise really hurt the team. Landorus I has been a great Pokemon against threats but has also made my weaker to threats like Azumarill and Weavile(lol). Making me have to be extremely weary of them.

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

The Follow Me support is invaluable when it comes to my frailer mons like Deoxys-A and it also helps Azumarill sweep with Belly Drum at lot easier. Iron Head also helps my fairy check actually be able to smack the fairies with Iron Head. Icy Wind is invaluable speed control on this team, especially with scarfers. The spread avoids an OHKO from Life Orb Talonflame's Flare Blitz and also it does not get 2HKO'd by Kyurem Black or Diancie's Earth Power. Not to mention Safety Goggles is amazing for Breloom and Amoonguss. Jirachi has often proven to be a bit of dead weight at times as well, especially when there is a Landorus still around.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Azumarill is simply put, a monster with Jirachi. Once it gets a Belly Drum up it just runs straight through teams, OHKOing Landorus and many other threats. Play Rough OHKOs scrafty and other numerous threats to my team. Luckily with Jirachi Azumarill can weaken and beat threats like Amoonguss, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur. Overall Azumarill most often cleans late game and just runs straight through teams.

Threatlist

Lando T- Despite all that I've done Lando is still a massive block to some of my mons and gives me trouble every game.

Scrafty: Although it is very manageable through prediction, it can give me significant problems with my Jirachi and Azu strategy.

Hoopa Unbound: Destroys this team, really that simple. Weavile can kill it but it still screws my team over.

Last edited:
yoo ! saw your team and read the rmt. my first comment is that im very surprised keldeo was not a threat to your team, especially with tailwind. keldeo + kangaskhan or keldeo and talonflame seem to harm this team a lot. if a talonflame gives a tailwind turn while going out, and kangaskan gets in instead, i pretty much think you might lose fast

another very worrying thing to me is trick room. what i was thinking is something wild, having jirachi hold trick room just to reverse it. this might come off as weird, but erruption heatran and amoonguss crush this team so bad if trick room is set up, as uncommon as it may be. by a similar logic, tailwind could also be trouble, so trick room might crazily help.

goodluck :)

btw , try knock off on deoxys sometimes. its nice hitting latios and aegislash hard

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Hey only some minor suggestions, this looks like an interesting team composition so I'm just optimizing what you have.

For Deoxys you should use a spread of 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe. This benchmark outspeeds and ohkos adamant scarf lando t, and invests the rest in attack to make your superpower and espeed stronger. Also, while knock off is a cool option you really shouldn't use it on this team, your team is by no means weak to things like latios and aegi and the rest.

Rather, you might wanna try life orb>sash on weavile, it really increases the damage output vs things like jirachi, hoopa, and lando. Also, having double sash makes you fairly weak to residual damage and limits your switchins.

Also as of now kangaskhan is your only member that truly checks charizard y, you should consider rock slide>hp ice on lando with a naive nature to improve your matchup and add a spread move to your team.

Really though, I think you're making lando out to a bigger threat than it is, you have three checks to it and the rest of the team isn't useless against it. A well timed icy wind or positioning with deo should take care of it. Anyway, hope I helped, good luck with your team.

Last edited:
Hi Buzz, DOU is the greatest tier on Smogon and I'm happy you're playing it :D
*I'm on expert so take this with a grain of salt*
First off, you're very sun weak especially when it's Zard + Venusaur. You're fire resist is Azumarill which get's bopped by Solar Beam and blown up by Venusaur. You generally want at least 2 sun resist so my first change is changing Deoxys-A to Tailwind Latios. This gives you another fire resist and a great check to Zard + Vensaur sun as it resits both mons' STABs and can hit both hard. It also provides a way to hit Water Types for Super Effective damage which you lacked before.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt HP Ground or Tailwind (see elegyy's post)
- Protect

Now, like Silverwhiteblue mentioned, you're only Trick Room check is Weavile (and Azu to a extent). While it does hit hard, all TR setters can take a hit (especially because you're not LO) so I would recommend changing Jirachi to Amoonguss. With this, you main a very solid Trick Room check with a fast Spore and another way to hit Water Types if you chose TBolt. I would go Tailwind for speed control since speed control is always nice but if you hate Amoonguss and want to keep Jirachi you should go TBolt. You also don't become super weak to Dark (Bisharp = Big Threat) and are still able to redirect for Azumarill.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helment Sitrus Berry (see elegyy's post)
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

My next suggestion is changing Landorus-I to Scarf Landours-T. Both mons check LandoT fairy well and with adding LandoT you gain another switch in for Mega Kangaskhan and a check to Mega Diancie. It gives you a good spread move that can flinch your opponent to death kill Mega Zard Y right away. With Latios, you can something to EQ next to safely. The scarf makes up for the Icy Wind on Jirachi.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Now you're threatlist. You're not extremely weak to Landours-T as you have your own and Azumarill which can easily set up on it at -1 along with Amoonguss. Scrafty also isn't the biggest problem as you're running Play Rough on Azumarill and have Amoonguss to beat it 1v1. Hoopa-U now gets bopped by U-Turn and if it survives w/ Sash you can Spore it under Trick Room if it set it up for kill it with Weavile (ignoring TR w/ Ice Shard). The only really big threat to your team at this point is Ferrothorn and Mega Gardevoir. With no fire move and no strong fighting move, Ferrothorn can easily wall you for days. Therefore, I would run Low King on Kangaskhan instead of Power Up Punch. I love PuP more than anyone but Ferrothorn is too much of a threat at this point imo. For Mega Gardevoir's the matchup isn't unwinable. +6 Aqua Jet bops it and Kang / Lando / Weavile can all outspeed it and hit it on it's frail defense. It's the only matchup I would say got worse.

Overall, I think these changes help with your threatlist a lot and cover some other holes you had (Ferrothorn, Bulky Waters). Remember, I'm not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. This team is much better than my first doubles team (I thought Dragonite was good ;-;) and I see you getting much better in the future n___n

~RJ / GreenGogoatttt

E: Tagging Mint16 since you didn't do it >_>
E2: B = Before A = After N = No Y = Yes Gains Loses

2 Kangaskhan switchins OR 1 switchin and 1 check
B: N A: Y
1 Landorus-T switchin
B: Y A: Y
2 ground immunities OR 1 ground immunity and 1 resist
2 Fire resists (Char Y + Venu check)
2 Water resists (Ludicolo + Politoed check)
1 rock resist
B: Y A: N (but you gain Amoonguss + Intimidate Landorus-T)
1 fairy resist (preferably resists Psychic as well)
B: Y A: N (This is the only not-so-great thing about the changes :/)
1 sleep immunity
1 Kyurem B check (not weak to Terravolt Earth Power + Ice Beam), and no more than 1 Pokemon that cannot break Kyurem-B substitutes (2 if you have Pixilate Hyper Voice)
1 check for each of these steels (Aegislash/Ferrothorn/Heatran)
B: N (No good check for Ferrothorn) A: Y (Low Kick Kang)
2 of speed control/priority/scarf
2 different forms of Trick Room check (Taunt/Spore/TR user/Strong Dark/Ghost/Fake Out/Substitute user)
1 CM Cress check
1 of Heat Wave, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Pixilate + Hyper Voice (spread)
1 check to Azumarill + Amoonguss

Gain 6 benchmarks and only lose 2, 1 of which isn't even really a loss since it makes up for it. With the changes I would only the same the team is pretty week to Mega Gardevoir as how you have no great switch in. However, you can outspeed and do big damage to it w/ Kang, Lando, and Weavile so it's not unwinnable.

E3: me and Elegyy discussed your team and we think it would be better as hydra / kang / deo / lando / mushroom / azu. The reason I didn't do this in the first place is that weavile is your center mon so i didnt want to get rid out it. it provides all the same benchmarks my version of the team hit expect with deo over weavile because we think deo is a better mon and would help your team more

E4:
yoo ! saw your team and read the rmt. my first comment is that im very surprised keldeo was not a threat to your team, especially with tailwind. keldeo + kangaskhan or keldeo and talonflame seem to harm this team a lot. if a talonflame gives a tailwind turn while going out, and kangaskan gets in instead, i pretty much think you might lose fast
He does have a azu which checks keld very well since it doesn't have to worry about scald burns (hydro pump >>>> scald) and easily set up on it or just kos it since he's running play rough.

another very worrying thing to me is trick room. what i was thinking is something wild, having jirachi hold trick room just to reverse it. this might come off as weird, but erruption heatran and amoonguss crush this team so bad if trick room is set up, as uncommon as it may be. by a similar logic, tailwind could also be trouble, so trick room might crazily help.
trick room is a very big threat and i proposed some options of my own. tr rachi would help with the gard matchup but then you would have to rely on tbolt latios to hit water types.

btw , try knock off on deoxys sometimes. its nice hitting latios and aegislash hard
paint replied to this prefectly. check out his response

hey only some minor suggestions
For Deoxys you should use a spread of 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe. This benchmark outspeeds and ohkos adamant scarf lando t, and invests the rest in attack to make your superpower and espeed stronger. Also, while knock off is a cool option you really shouldn't use it on this team, your team is by no means weak to things like latios and aegi and the rest.

Rather, you might wanna try life orb>sash on weavile, it really increases the damage output vs things like jirachi, hoopa, and lando. Also, having double sash makes you fairly weak to residual damage and limits your switchins.

Also as of now kangaskhan is your only member that truly checks charizard y, you should consider rock slide>hp ice with a naive nature to improve your matchup and add a spread move to your team.

Really though, I think you're making lando out to a bigger threat than it is, you have three checks to it and the rest of the team isn't useless against it. A well timed icy wind or positioning with deo should take care of it. Anyway, hope I helped, good luck with your team.
if you don't want to change any of your mons, i would 100% listen to what paint as to say n___n

E5:
okay hi I'm gonna elaborate on what gg just told you. I think his edits are fine, except I'd go Tailwind or HP Ground over Thunderbolt on the Latios, as Tailwind would let it nullify Venusaur's speed boost and HP Ground will let it stay in on Heatran, which is sorta common on sun teams and does huge damage to lando on the switch in. You also aren't particularly weak to ground. I'd also go Sitrus over Rocky Helm on the Amoonguss because Sitrus will allow it to stay in longer to support the team for longer (and you can side pup it) while helm's only merit on this team is that +6 ajet + 1 round of helm damage kos kang.

On that note, however, Weavile is kinda pointless on this team. It's weak, doesn't really synergize well, and only has fast fake out to offer, which isn't even all that important imo. You can also ditch the latios idea and keep your Deo, and run Hydreigon over Weavile as sorta a sun check (resisting all of zards atks lol.)
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest / Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power / Tailwind / Fire Blast
- Protect
Earth Power lets you ohko Heatran while not letting it do tons of dmg in the sun to your lando while switching in, Tailwind nullifies Venusaurs speed boost, and I slashed Fire Blast for SOMETHING but it's kinda late so I already forgot.

However, if you want to keep your latios but recognize that weavile is weak garbage, I'd replace Weavile with Aegislash, Heatran, or Bisharp since getting rid of Rachi will leave you lacking a steel and Aegi is a strong counter to fairies (notably Mega Gardevoir) which you don't have many switch ins for, while Bisharp can scare off intimidate and ohko most fairies easily. I feel like a wg set for aegi might be best bc the team's a bit weak to heat wave and hyper voice, and you can run goggles so that you have another sleep switch in than Amoonguss, which can't threaten sleep mons. Same (running gogs) goes for Heatran I guess, although it doesn't threaten fairies nearly as much as the others. A sub set for both Aegi and Heatran could work on this team as well. I had something else to say but I forgot it, it's kindA late and I haven't slept much this week lol. OH ALSO if you go this route I wouldn't run scarf Landot, because being locked into eq with only 1 immune SUCKS. Instead go like Ebelt or AV

Ok quick summary:
Twind Latios / Kang / Azu / Sitrus Amoon / non-scarf Lando-T / Aegi OR Heatran OR Bisharp with the sets i detailed right above
Hydra / Kang / Azu / Deo-A / Sitrus Amoon (altho with deo-a ig it might be OK to run helm to break sashes, however keeping amoon around specifically FOR deo-a is a nice idea) / scarf landot

Sorry this is really sloppy, i'm a little fuzzy minded and can only spit out thoughts lol
I 100% agree with what Elegy said here.

Last edited:
okay hi I'm gonna elaborate on what gg just told you. I think his edits are fine, except I'd go Tailwind or HP Ground over Thunderbolt on the Latios, as Tailwind would let it nullify Venusaur's speed boost and HP Ground will let it stay in on Heatran, which is sorta common on sun teams and does huge damage to lando on the switch in. You also aren't particularly weak to ground. I'd also go Sitrus over Rocky Helm on the Amoonguss because Sitrus will allow it to stay in longer to support the team for longer (and you can side pup it) while helm's only merit on this team is that +6 ajet + 1 round of helm damage kos kang.

On that note, however, Weavile is kinda pointless on this team. It's weak, doesn't really synergize well, and only has fast fake out to offer, which isn't even all that important imo. You can also ditch the latios idea and keep your Deo, and run Hydreigon over Weavile as sorta a sun check (resisting all of zards atks lol.)
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest / Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power / Tailwind / Fire Blast
- Protect
Earth Power lets you ohko Heatran while not letting it do tons of dmg in the sun to your lando while switching in, Tailwind nullifies Venusaurs speed boost, and I slashed Fire Blast for SOMETHING but it's kinda late so I already forgot.

However, if you want to keep your latios but recognize that weavile is weak garbage, I'd replace Weavile with Aegislash, Heatran, or Bisharp since getting rid of Rachi will leave you lacking a steel and Aegi is a strong counter to fairies (notably Mega Gardevoir) which you don't have many switch ins for, while Bisharp can scare off intimidate and ohko most fairies easily. I feel like a wg set for aegi might be best bc the team's a bit weak to heat wave and hyper voice, and you can run goggles so that you have another sleep switch in than Amoonguss, which can't threaten sleep mons. Same (running gogs) goes for Heatran I guess, although it doesn't threaten fairies nearly as much as the others. A sub set for both Aegi and Heatran could work on this team as well. I had something else to say but I forgot it, it's kindA late and I haven't slept much this week lol. OH ALSO if you go this route I wouldn't run scarf Landot, because being locked into eq with only 1 immune SUCKS. Instead go like Ebelt or AV

Ok quick summary:
Twind Latios / Kang / Azu / Sitrus Amoon / non-scarf Lando-T / Aegi OR Heatran OR Bisharp with the sets i detailed right above
Hydra / Kang / Azu / Deo-A / Sitrus Amoon (altho with deo-a ig it might be OK to run helm to break sashes, however keeping amoon around specifically FOR deo-a is a nice idea) / scarf landot

Sorry this is really sloppy, i'm a little fuzzy minded and can only spit out thoughts lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)