ORAS Doubles OU First doubles team

I have used this team according to pokemon showdown 84 time with 50 wins. the reason I'm hear is because it's my first team (techincally third, changed the last pokemon out twice). This team was made without the big threats of the metagame in mind as i don't know them. The biggest factor far a win for this team is to predict their leading pokemon and choose ones that are super effective against them sweep the first two and then role with the momentum. Will not switch out weavile for another pokemon because he is fun to use and still competive but will switch moves.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
most of the team (first 5) was made becuase i wanted to used mega gengar and looked up a team builder thread for mega gengar doubles and either took some of the same or similar team members as the final result. Weavile has been a common lead for my team as low kick and icicle crash on the many teams i've meet tend to have a large sweeping ability, plus fake out helps me in case of a bad prediction.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect
Like weavile talonflame for me is a common lead usually with weavile or landorus if there's a mach puncher of a ice type. Tailwind is mainly used when i feel talon can't anything this turn and is going to die or when the opponent has speed advantage (tailwind or stat changes). protect is for when the opponent can kill talonflame but it's teammate will make next turn safe or i'm waiting out the final turn of trick room.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect
gengar is my attempt at predicting trick room and my fairy type killer and sometimes a lead though rarely. protect is used when a faster than 350 speed pokemon is out there so i can then acquire the mega evolution speed boost or i'm stuck with landorus out and he is going to earthquake.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
sent in as a lead usually with talonflame or landorus when i predict a water type they protect it thunderbolts the water type. will o wisp isn't used much unless i can't deal much damage and crippling an attacker is better. protect is used when rotom can't do much of anything but it's teammate can and hope for better options with switch in.

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect
landorus originally was a big leader but after him and talonflame were sent out against 2 water types i started to consider who they might lead with and counter and he really became a mid game pokemon, an electric type destroyer or a surprise fighting type move.

Conkeldurr @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Def
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
Conkeldurr was chosen as I have really don't know who has trick room and have trouble predicting it and the one it replaced did less for the team. As i used him he became either used when a opposing Pokemon would die to a mach punch, or as one of my last pokemon and has so far (to me) been a good choice.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, cool team and welcome to Doubles :). Weavile is quite an anti-meta mon these days and since you want to keep weavile-gengar core, we will work around that.

Basically pros of weavile are : Fastest fake-out available, Good STAB coverage.
Though life orb sounds appealing, but tbh weavile would much rather have focus sash due to it's horrendous bulk and it prefers being more of an annoyance(albeit a good one offensively). Also personally I'd prefer ice shard over low kick as due to ability to nab mons like thundy at low health without weavile getting paralyzed and nabbing stuff like scarf lando when chipped a little as scarf lando is the bane of most mega-gengar teams.
For example, weavile+ breloom beats most of the TR leads as Trick Room teams rely on goggles or amoongus as their spore switch-ins which are both nullified by weavile.
Which brings me to my next mon,
>conkeldurr :: As I just explained above sash breloom is a really potent partner for weavile against slower teams and with a little support from gengar it actually punishes quite a lot of builds. Also double sash helps a lot in long run. You could use amoongus in this role too as a spore user+redirection mon and use conk as a fighting type but that just makes the team a little passive so it's on you.
: Just a nitpick, run will-o-wisp to trap and nullify mega kang which can be a big threat to sash teams courtesy parental bond.
Now, since all of the above mons are pretty frail we are still going to have a redirection support + another mon which beats most fire types as well as landorus.
+
: Jirachi here provides you with your own spore switch-in and some speed control using icy wind/thunder wave whichever you prefer. And since the team applies so much pressure it gives azumarill a chance to sweep late game with aqua jet+knock off.

The last option depends on you, if you want even more speed you can go scarf kyurem-b/ scarf lando-t, either would work or if you want a fire type which can take a heat-wave you can go volcanion with stone-edge to comfortably beat char-y as well as not being a liability against rain. Tbh even talonflame would work here.

or
or

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind/Steel Wing
- Protect

Well, I guess you could optimise the EVs a bit more, I am not very good with them. Hope I helped, Best of Luck :)

i'll go with your changes except jirachi and getting rid of low kick and sash on weavile
jirachi: earlier i mentioned i switched out the last one twice well it was originally jirachi and i just wasn't good at using it plus spore so far hasn't been a problem for me
low kick: destroys a mega kangaskhan, any steel type and rock (both types tend to have high weight)
as for the the triple choice i'll go talonflame as i like the speed it offers
the concept for my weavile is based on fast OHKO which life orb helps with

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Well, I'd like to point out one thing though, life orb on weavile strangely doesn't net you any more 2hkoes that non life orb would, let's say for example
Jirachi : 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 92+ Def Jirachi: 328-385 (81.1 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Amoongus : 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 335-398 (77.5 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are the 2 most common stuff, life orb weavile would target, but still doesn't get the required 1hko but you would have gotten the 2hko without orb as well + importance of sashes shouldn't be undermined specially in a meta where hazards aren't common, for example living a diancie diamond storm and then 2hkoing it next turn. Also I just said ice shard because of your team's susceptibility to scarf landorus, but if you feel safe against it, yeah go for it!
But still if you want to keep low kick and feel weak against it, you can switch talonflame out for something like shuca volcanion if you want fire coverage and if you prefer speed even scarf landorus/scarf victini/scarf kyu-b.

This is a common framework that I'm quite familiar with. As of matter of fact, there is one team in the Doubles OU Sample Teams thread that is somewhat similar to yours. (I'm talking about the first team in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-sample-teams.3571389/ ) The obvious difference is that Mega Gengar, and not Mega Kangaskhan, is your choice of Mega and Conkeldurr, and not Aegislash, is your team's Wide Guard user... or rather should be your team's Wide Guard user. After all, your frail mons, Talonflame and Mega Gengar, would really appreciate it. Also, I would recommend either putting Flame Orb with Guts ability or Lum Berry with Iron Fist ability to ensure a guaranteed OHKO onto Landorus-T at -1 (meaning under Intimidate).

(Warning: Don't continue if you're absolutely sure you want to keep Weavile, although I highly recommend that you replace it.)

However, what I don't like is adding Weavile to the already fragile state of the team. Truly, I'm quite sure that a bulky support, such as Jirachi or Amoonguss, would guarantee your team a greater service. In the case of Amoonguss, it can use Rage Powder & Spore, allowing mons like Mega Gengar and Talonflame to take care of opposing mons one at a time. Jirachi is also useful because its Icy Wind allows Mega Gengar to eliminate or use Disable on Scarfed mons. (Disable on Mega Gengar is awesome, especially against Sucker Punch.) Yeah, I know you want Weavile. Other than that, Landorus-t + Rotom-W + Talonflame are good and common follow-ups; they don't need change. Anyways, good job in making a solid team (except for Weavile... yuk).

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

OR

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
The team itself looks pretty fine actually, not much needs to be changed. It looks like pretty cool offensive team and it's not your typical Lando-T + Washtom team with just the usual, Mega Gengar being a cool pick. For a fast team like this in particular, I'm liking the vibe of Taunt Mega Gengar as it handily gives you a way of blocking TR without fear of Fake Out, pairing well with Weavile. On a similar note, Pressure on Weavile, something one the guys above removed on their importable, lets you know if an opposing Landorus-T is Scarf on lead matchup so I'd keep it here, the info game being really crucial for you; just look at the battle log and whatever ability activates first belongs to the faster Pokemon. On to the team itself: like I said, it's a p nifty offensive team but I personally feel that you get beat down too easily, by Fire-types in particular. Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Volcanion all look like they can ravage you pretty hard as you don't have much resists and switchins. If Trick Room goes up against a Trick Room team or you just lose momentum in general, you're going to have a rough time too as most of your team can't take a hit save for Rotom-W. Also, you have a really iffy Rotom-W matchup as you have no quick way of removing it while it does a number to you. On another note, for such an offensive team, Conkeldurr looks out of place; it's not particularly fast enough to take advantage of Tailwind or to keep the pace up, the set isn't particularly offensive, and you're not even running Wide Guard to let it function as a supportive piece. My rate will focus on aiding your Fire-type matchup, your ability to take hits, and Conkeldurr's teamslot.

First up: run HP Ground Latios over Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr wasn't aiding any particular matchup save for the TR one which looked decent to me; just practice against more against those teams and you'll be fine. Latios, on the other hand, gives you another attacking piece that can keep up the pace with its Speed while giving you very useful resists, letting you match up well against the aforementioned Fire-types, Rotom-W, Keldeo. With Latios, you can take those Fires out rather easily, making them less of a hassle to you; Psyshock does good damage to Zard Y, HP Ground chunks a lot from Heatran, and Draco straight up OHKOes most Volcanions. That's pretty much it really, Latios just lets you maintain your hold of the initiative better.

Next suggestion would be running Assault Vest over Life Orb on Landorus-T. As it stands, your team is still easily broken down by faster, dangerous attackers if they get the chance to as you only have one true glue and pivot in Rotom-W. However, with Assault Vest, Landorus-T can handily take that role on a bit more effectively while still maintaining good offensive presence. On your team, you get another Pokemon that can switch in on attacks, giving you another out in case you make a mistake or get played and lose momentum and generally gives you another pivot, and it's not like you'll miss LO as your team's pretty offensive already. I'll explain the proposed spread later on.

That's pretty much it for major changes. A smaller scale suggestion would be running 24 HP / 68 Def / 164 SpA / 252 Spe on Mega Gengar in order to let it last longer on the field with high bulk. You don't really lose out on much power and the bulk lets you live some good hits such as Talonflame Brave Bird and Heatran Earth Power. This bulk means you can take advantage of the trapping longer even if only a little bit, and it lets you handily play more cavalier against the said threats
Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 156 Atk / 16 Def / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

The spread lets it live 88+ Mega Charizard Y's Overheat, 2 -1 LO Talonflame Brave Birds, or +1 LO Bisharp Sucker Punch while outrunning neutral base 100s, the rest of the EVs in Attack. Stone Edge is better on this particular set as it has more power on the selected target, but Rock Slide is still pretty serviceable.
GL with your team :heart:

i have created two separate teams from memoric and darksylvion and and will try out both so yes both suggestions will be used and i'll go with the most fun (so most likely the the one i feel wins more) cause i competitively battle for fun.
also the last slot went like this jirachi to latios to conkeldurr i swear i was on to something good and ruined it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)