ORAS Doubles OU First Ever Doubles Team

This is my first ever Team Build so I'm expecting a lot of criticism.
This is based around Charizard Y and Chlorophyll Venusaur
Mostly Offensive Team

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Overheat

I've loved Charizard since pokemon Red, , Yellow, and Blue. (I bred a Shiny for this) It's fast and it can dish out damage like no ones business. Heat Wave is a powerful STAB and hits multiple targets. Solar Beam is to counter any water type pokemon looking to bring down my beloved Charizard. Protect so another pokemon might be able to pick off an ugly opponent. Overheat to target a specific pokemon for extra attack.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Synthesis Sleep Powder

Venusaur with Chlorophyll is an excellent partner for Char. It gains double speed due to Char-Y Drought. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are good STAB attacks. To cover Fairy, Grass, Rock, Ground, Water, all bad news for my Charizard. Combined with double speed it hits fast and hard.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Rotom-W is to cover some weaknesses of Char. It can switch in to combat another Char-Y or Talonflame. It is a hardy pokemon that can do damage to many of Char's weaknesses.

Garchomp @ Leftovers Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Is a good revenge killer and is useful to keep fire from being used against me. Earthquake comes in handy to hit two opponents, especially with Rotom-W's levitate. It's especially useful to take down that pesky Tyrannitar (or Heatran). Dragon Claw is to hit other Dragon type pokemon. Chomp also has an imunity to electic attacks and can finish them off easily.

Aegislash @ Lum Berry Safery Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Aegislash is a very strong attack but has a good defense move up its sleeve. Steel is especially useful for Fairy, Ice, and Rock pokemon. It can take a lot of Damage but can dish it out too. Shadow Ball to take out any psychic type pokemon.

Metagross @ Leftovers Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Metagross is a tank. It can take a bunch of damage but dishes it out with Meteor Mash. Zen Headbutt is for combating my fighting or poison type weakness. It can use Bullet Punch to strike fast to wipe out a pokemon near death.

Last edited:

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
I'm not so sure about Venusaur, as Sun doubles Fire Damage. Venusaur could easily be OHKOed in these conditions.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Nice team! Sun offense is a good archetype to use when first starting dubs.

Venu is frail, and already gets recovery in giga drain, so synthesis is less necessary. Sleep Powder is a better option, as fast sleep is powerful and crippling, also temporarily dealing with threats to zard.

Keep in mind that in doubles, leftovers are generally less efficient than sitrus berry, which provides more burst recovery given the smaller number of turns.

Garchomp should hold a life orb, as it lets it deal more damage without losing significant defensive benchmarks.

Being a slow special attacker, the only status aegi cares about is sleep and to an extent para. Safety goggles are more reliable at blocking status, while also letting aegi ignore rage powder.

Since your metagross is eved defensively and does not carry protect, I recommend assault vest, as it provides a much greater increase to special bulk. Also, hammer arm could be a better option than eq, considering you have garchomp and no fighting coverage.

Otherwise, great team, and I hope you enjoy dubs as a tier!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sup fren, just some offering some quick adjustments:

1. The EV spread on Rotom-W as it stands right now isn't very efficient. I recommend switching to a spread of 252 HP / 20 Def / 104 SpA / 120 SpD / 12 Spe, Calm Nature. This lets it always live a Modest CharY's Solarbeam, outrun 80 Spe Heatran, and always OHKO standard Landorus-T with Hydro Pump, with the rest put into Def. I also recommend opting for Will-o-Wisp instead of Thunder Wave, as physical attackers are a bigger threat to your team than being outran.

2. As with Rotom-W, I recommend adjusting the EVs on Venusaur to a spread of 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe, Modest Nature. This gives it more bulk, a Life Orb number, the speed EVs let it outrun neutral max base 70's, and even with the reduced speed it still outruns everything it needs to outrun when the Sun is up.

3. I recommend swapping out Garchomp for another Dragon type, I'm a bit partial to Latios, or Kyurem-B. Latios improves your matchup with the Musketeers, most notably, Terrakion. It also gives you a way to use Tailwind, which could provide you with another form of speed control, instead of relying on Chlorosaur. Kyurem-B gives you a more reliable option versus rain teams, and certain offensive teams. Most notably, they both have a better matchup versus Mega Diancie, as that poses a large threat to your main core. Latios can speed tie with it, and 2HKO with Psyshock, and Kyurem-B has Earth Power.

4. My last suggestion is to swap out Metagross for an Intimidate user, or a fast fighting type. These will help your matchup versus strong physical offense, which as I said above, is a weak spot. I recommend trying out Terrakion, as it has nice synergy with Charizard and Venusaur, or Landorus-T, as it can provide key pivoting + Intimidate support, and donks Diancie easily.

Those are all my suggestions, good luck with the team dawg.

Sup fren, just some offering some quick adjustments:

1. The EV spread on Rotom-W as it stands right now isn't very efficient. I recommend switching to a spread of 252 HP / 20 Def / 104 SpA / 120 SpD / 12 Spe, Calm Nature. This lets it always live a Modest CharY's Solarbeam, outrun 80 Spe Heatran, and always OHKO standard Landorus-T with Hydro Pump, with the rest put into Def. I also recommend opting for Will-o-Wisp instead of Thunder Wave, as physical attackers are a bigger threat to your team than being outran.

2. As with Rotom-W, I recommend adjusting the EVs on Venusaur to a spread of 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe, Modest Nature. This gives it more bulk, a Life Orb number, the speed EVs let it outrun neutral max base 70's, and even with the reduced speed it still outruns everything it needs to outrun when the Sun is up.

3. I recommend swapping out Garchomp for another Dragon type, I'm a bit partial to Latios, or Kyurem-B. Latios improves your matchup with the Musketeers, most notably, Terrakion. It also gives you a way to use Tailwind, which could provide you with another form of speed control, instead of relying on Chlorosaur. Kyurem-B gives you a more reliable option versus rain teams, and certain offensive teams. Most notably, they both have a better matchup versus Mega Diancie, as that poses a large threat to your main core. Latios can speed tie with it, and 2HKO with Psyshock, and Kyurem-B has Earth Power.

4. My last suggestion is to swap out Metagross for an Intimidate user, or a fast fighting type. These will help your matchup versus strong physical offense, which as I said above, is a weak spot. I recommend trying out Terrakion, as it has nice synergy with Charizard and Venusaur, or Landorus-T, as it can provide key pivoting + Intimidate support, and donks Diancie easily.

Those are all my suggestions, good luck with the team dawg.
Thanks for the input, I'll consider those EV changes. But for # 3 and 4, I really try not to use Ledgendaries. Just a personal preference.

I've used Metagross as a bomb pretty successfully with:

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion

On occasion it's won me the battle by disrupting an opponents set up at the beginning of the game.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Ahahaha shaian get rekt.

If you're going to scarf metagross, you should still keep 4 attacks, as it gives you more flexibility, and you also hit some things you couldn't hit otherwise. I'd say iron head for garde/diancie, hammer arm for kanga/terrak, and ice punch for fast dragons. Sadly, metagross only has 70 base speed, so it can't pass adamant lando t even with jolly. Be careful of it and other scarfers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)