ORAS Doubles OU First team ever

Hello smogon community, i've been a pokemon player since pokemon RED, played yellow,fire red, ruby,platinum and now i'm back on omega ruby and decided to get online and do some battles against players, i also played on pokemmo so i have a small idea about how competitive works, i just need you guys to give me your experienced opinions on my first team. Also i really like to have a team that i LIKE rather than gimmicky most used pokemon such as bisharp, landorus or greninja i really hate using a pokemon just because it's the current meta and if i use it it increases my win chance, i'd rather play with something i like and TRY to work around it. Anyway here is my team i will give my own opinion on it after i list it.

Mega Charizard Y (M) @ Charizardite
Ability: Blaze/Drought
EVs: 252 S.Attk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Roost

My main Special Sweeper that i use most of the time as a mega, i chose charizard because it's my favorite pokemon since i was a kid like most of us, second reason would be its high viability in the rankings and i just love the huge power it brings with sun powered heat waves, and i want to build the team to cover his weakness, thats why i carry garchomp tyranitar and metagross. i also want to know if i should keep roost or get protect instead? most of the time charizard dies to a rock slide, and never gets the chance to roost

Metagross (M) @ Rocky helmet
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attk / 252 Spe
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

My main tank that is here to hard switch into attacks, even though jolly i use him to hard switch and mostly to counter fairys, but i also sometimes pop agility and use him to sweep when my opponent has nothing to deal with metagross. Also i want to know if i should give him the assault vest and drop Agility for a priority Bullet Punch.

Venusaur (M) @Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 S.Attk / 252 S.Def
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Synthesis

Charizard's partner ofcourse, without the sun he is still not that bad but not very effective, i use him to help charizard when an enemy is faster than charizard but sometimes i use him as mega when i dont bring charizard and i use him mostly against team who dont have psychic or flying types. And ofcourse Fairy types

Salamence (M) @ Salamenceite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Attk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Double Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

I love salamence and i really like to physically sweep with him, and using protect i manage 4/5 to bait a greninja ice beam and then rock slide the greninja out with my metagross or garchomp and also disable his ice beam if gengar is on the side, i mostly use gengar on salamences side to protect+disable any ice moves so that salamence can be free, most teams carry 1 ice move.

Garchomp (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

The pokemon i find myself taking into any battle, he is versatile fast and powerful nothing else to say,i use garchomp mainly to drag in fairys and then iron head them, but he is also my main choice when i dont know what to use, but i find him pretty handicapped when burned thats why i gave him a life orb (not lum? why idk) i pick him 9 times out of 10 and he manages to outspeed Fairys and OHKO them with a lifeorb IronHead to protect salamence coming to sweep.

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 S.Attk / 252 Spe
- Protect
- Taunt
- Disable
- ShadowBall

My favorite troublemaker, his role is to disrupt the battle as much as he can, he has only 1 attacking move so if taunted i usually pull him in, otherwise being timid and 110 spe i put him alongside salamence to double protect and get that disable on the move threatening salamence, i also use him to taunt other support pokemon but sometimes they are pranksters or outspeed gengar so it annoys me ;(.

Not Carried currently but operational

Tyranitar (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sandstream
- Protect
- DDance
- Crunch
- Rock Slide

I used him with garchomp at first for the sand stream when i thouhgt about mega garchomp, but now i dont use him cuz garchompite is hard to obtain so i put the tyranitar aside.

So what i usually choose for doubles are EITHER Charizard+Venusaur+Garchomp+Gengar OR Salamence+Gengar+Garchomp+Metagross
I've been training on free battles mostly and i have quite a good winrate even against the meta pokemon using teams who carry the usualy talonflame greninja landorus kanga and most fairy types.
What i think is missing in coverage moves for me are WATER and ICE type moves to deal with this damn landog, i will always kill him with neutral 2-3HKOS i need something to deal with that, also i need to figure out which Mega to keep, sometimes i dont pick zard at all and go for a mega venusaur, and sometimes i go for mega salamence with gengar on its side to disable all ice moves and that usually works pretty well at least in free battles. I also need someone to wear the Assault Vest thinking of giving it to metagross but sometimes i use Agility to sweep with him, but maybe i should add in bullet punch instead and assault vest him.

So to sum up the points i need help with:
- Water/ice Type pokemon or move recommended somewhere
- Which mega to choose? i go for Zard against physical tanks i see and Salamence against Special tanks and Venusaur when i dont know what to do lol
- I need a bulky guy should it be metagross? change his nature and EVs and assault vest him? or maybe the tyranitar can assault vest with the sand storm on top?

Any critics appreciated, thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello Knucks , and welcome to Smogon!

Unfortunately, this RMT is currently not following the rules which can be found in the RMT Resource Thread; specifically, this thread violates rule #4, because you lack sufficient descriptions for each Pokemon on your team. As such, I am afraid that I will have to lock this thread for the time being. If you would like this thread to be reopened, feel free to PM me with your updated RMT, and I would be happy to reopen this thread for you. If you need help making an RMT up to the required standards, I recommend that you carefully read the RMT Resource Thread and check out other RMTs from the Team Showcase and RMT Archive for some examples.

Good luck with your team, and have a nice day!

EDIT: Reopened.

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Edit: Actually noticed the megastone on Salamence and am now sure you were looking for a VGC team rate, whoops lol.

Just before I start, I'm going to rate this assuming that the Venusaurite on Venusaur is an accident, as you have 2 megas there. Also non mega Charizard is bad. Either this, or you've mistaken Doubles OU for VGC. I'll assume the former and give advice so this will work in Doubles OU. I also read the thing about not wanting to use 'good' pokemon just to win. While these teams are fun, they won't always work.

Only thing that really needed changing on Charizard was carrying Protect > Roost. Charizard doesn't really have enough physical bulk to be able to pull off a roost set without sacrificing alot of power / speed.

I changed the Venusaur to the appropriate Charizard-Y partner spread. Sleep Powder can help stop Trick Room being set up, Synthesis isn't ideal on non mega Venusaur as it doesn't really have the bulk. While sun is up Venusaur will outspeed most things, even if they carry Choice Scarves.

Salamence is outclassed in Doubles OU by far better dragons. Kyurem-B > Salamence will give you a better matchup vs rain teams, and is overall more useful. Sub allows you to avoid status and capitalise on switches as Kyurem-B can bluff a Scarf set some of the time.

To fill the Gap of the Intimidate you lose by dropping Salamence, another great sun partner is using Landorus-T > Garchomp. Although Garchomp has the nice fire resist, Lando fills the role of a ground type better in this tier. Scarf lets you handle opposing Charizards, and the fire types that wall it.

I can see the Gengar you used on the team working in some situations, and if you want to leave it in and test it out with the changes to the rest of the team that's fine. I'll suggest an alternative for if that doesn't work. Using Aegislash > Gengar will give you a little more switching room, as well as providing Wide Guard support and giving a better matchup vs Trick Room.

Lastly I put Thundurus > Metagross. Non mega Metagross isn't great as it is too slow compared to its mega counterpart, making it not nearly as good. You needed an electric type on a sun team and Thundy provides speed control with Thunder Wave, and can Taunt opposing support mons using things like Trick Room, status moves and Tailwind.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam
- Overheat
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Taunt
- Protect

Or

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Harold Of The Rocks (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 Atk / 84 Def / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sup dude, it's good to see more people getting in to playing doubles, so welcome to the format. Now going through this team build, I get the feeling that you are missing out on some basic information and understanding of the metagame. For instance, you have 3 mega options, when it's generally not a good idea to have more than 1 since item use is one of the most important aspects of competitive Pokemon and have more than 1 mega restricts your ability to use items. Now there have been successful teams that have more than 1 mega, being not uncommon in VGC, but 3 is unheard of. Also you have this tagged as Doubles OU, which is a different metagame than VGC, with notable differences being separate banlists (one of which is that Salamencite is banned in Doubles OU), clauses, and is played at level 100 whereas VGC is at level 50. So all that being said, I recommend you go visit the Doubles OU subforum, as well as the VGC one and become more acquainted with the metagames. As for my suggestions, Spacebass did a nice job in shaping the team to be more sufficient in executing its primary function (the use of CharVenu + supporting options), but I did find the idea of Roost CharizardY to be quite interesting despite his suggestion of changing it to a standard set, so I decided to look into the application of it:

In the current meta bulky ZardY functions a lot better than the faster sets, and would probably be better than timid 252 / 252 for a Roost set. Though I don't think Roost is the best option for Charizard, in my opinion I think carrying either a nuke (Overheat or Fire Blast) or a coverage option (Hidden Power Ground or Focus Blast) would be better, the idea of Roost Charizard still seems to be an intriguing option. The former options allow Charizard to obtain some OHKO's that Heatwave normally falls short of, notably able to ohko Landorus-T and Kangaskhan, letting you OHKO the former on a switch and the latter pretty much whenever you can get one off. The latter coverage moves are also useful in allowing you to not be walled by the likes of Heatran and Tyranitar, and Focus Blast also has a very high chance to OHKO most Kangaskhan sets.

EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 84 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Roost

This spread allows Charizard to always lives an Adamant Mega Kangaskhans Return, outrun positive natured base 70 Spe pokemon, the most notable of which is Breloom. You could also run a spread of 244 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 192 Spe which lets you outrun Pokemon that like to hover around 283 which lets them outrun max Speed Adamant Landorus-T, though those are far less common. Another minor aspect of this spread is that the HP number on this set should be adjusted based on the 4th move option. Normally I run 248 HP EV's as this number is an odd one, which lets Charizard switch into Stealth Rocks 3 times, which is significant in my opinion despite Stealth Rocks as a move being uncommon in doubles, and generally being a poor move option on most Pokemon which have access to them. However, as Roost restores 50% of the users HP, it is better in this instance to have an even HP stat.

EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Focus Blast / Overheat / Hidden Power Ground

In my opinion this set would be a better fit than the Roost one as it capitalizes more on Charizards immense offensive presence. I slashed the moves in order of how useful I think they would be on your team, with Focus Blast being the most useful as it slams Heatran, Kangaskhan, and Tyranitar. Heatran in particular looks to be relatively threatening to your team, completely walling the CharVenu combination. Hidden Power Ground is only useful in stopping Heatran from completely walling Charizard, and Overheat is just a nuke which can OHKO almost any Pokemon that does not resist it, though pretty much forces Charizard into switching out or having reduced offensive presence after each use.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's an interesting set Shaian. I didn't suggest bulky zard, which is what I normally use too, because I didn't have any proper speed control behind it. It sounds nice late game after the Thundurus has finished annoying people, so try both and see which one you prefer playing / works better. I'd miss Overheat right away :(

Thank you all for answering, and yes this should be VGC and not OU Doubles sorry about that didnt know the exact difference now i do.

First about charizard indeed Protect would be much better than roost, i find myself rarely having the opportunity to roost so yes Protect would be great here.

Second, for venusaur i guess i could remove the venusaurite because i also rarely use it, and for sleep powder i would love to add but i hate low accuracy moves they sometimes
cost me the game when they miss, on the other hand sleep powder can win a game if it lands. As for synthesis under the sun it heals for 75% HP, and venusaur usually eats a special hit or two i find myself
using it quite frequently but sleep powder could be great.

As for Kyurem this is VGC as i stated earlier, so i wont be able to use him, not to mention i dislike using legendaries against non UBER teams.

For the reason stated above i would keep my Salamence so my intimidate is still there, also landorus is a legendary uber and every team has it, would want to avoid it even though it's very effective, i will look into it though.

As for Aegislash, i dont think he can replace Gengars role, which is to wreak havoc by disrupting the enemy team with taunt and disable, it could fulfill another role though.

Thundurus, very interesting i am actually highly considering him, as he is a prankster with high speed, he on the other hand can replace Gengar, though he doesnt have acces to disable, he can taunt and T-wave
And yes metagross is meh in speed unless Mega Evolved that's why i use agility almost all of the time i manage to pull it off easily with an important target on his side such as salamence or garchomp, people target them
while they protect as metagross pops agility, happens 9 times out of 10. But what you say is true unless Mega he is not so dangerous.

As for bulky charizard, i'd rather have the Timid 252/252 set, i also had Focus blast before and it did fulfill the role of destroying the likes of Tyranitar, kangaskhan etc., but 70% chance to hit is so low and i find myself getting
rockslided if i miss that Focus Blast, it's very risky :s.

Thank you for your answers

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
One thing I'd like to point out is that your "uber" idealogy is not only flawed in a competitive sense, but also factually incorrect. Just because something is a legendary does not mean it is an uber, and you should use anything legal in the format you are playing, because this is a competitive game and you should want the best chance to win. Also, your idea of what qualifies as an uber seems arbitrary, as your original team has an uber in mega salamence, while landorus is in fact, not an uber. You really shouldn't disregard space's and shaian's suggestions just because they have high usage.

After that rant, I'll say that if you decide on thundurus>gengar, replace your metagross with aegislash, as that set just really isn't fitting for the team. Aegi provides wide guard and checks a whole bunch of the mons that threaten zard and mence.
Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

When you remove your venusaurite, be sure to use space's set, because nonmega venusaur plays much more offensively than mega.
Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Mence would probably enjoy earthquake>dragon claw, because dragon doesn't really cover anything that flying doesn't. Also, dragon dance is a better choice than roost if you intend to "sweep" with mence.

Given that, hydreigon is a better dragon than garchomp looking at its current use, and after giving eq to mence. Scarf hydrei is an all around good mon with great coverage anyway.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Earth Power
-Flash Cannon

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)