VGC First VGC Regulation G Team Attempt

So I was thinking of using this team in the new regulation G VGC format, but before going to the effort of actually building these mons in my copy of violet I wanted to know how viable the team is and what could be improved. I know that the use of a restricted mon has shaken things up a lot and I have already been playing around with the team a little, but I haven't seen any glaring weaknesses except maybe Calyrex shadow (but I feel like that will be a major problem for most teams) and maybe trick room?

I decided to try out a sun team since I feel like terrain teams are going to be too easily upset by indeedee and calyrex, not saying that sun won't be upset by things like kyoger, rayquaza, peliper, etc... but it just seems a bit easier to recover from if that is the case.

anyway here is the team.

Groudon @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Heavy Slam
- Stomping Tantrum
- Heat Crash

Weather setter and a heavy hitter, combined with fluttermane it gives near perfect if not perfect coverage/offensive synergy. Heavy Slam is to deal with opposing Fluttermane (assuming I survive its attack), heat crash is strong against amoongus and rillaboom (again assuming I survive). This also ofcourse fills my restricted slot and I choose Groudon over Koridon because of the typing.

Flutter Mane @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Mystical Fire

As mentioned above the combination of Flutter Mane and Groudon is amazing offensively and this is my go to lead alongside Groudon. Covert Cloak was chosen over Booster Energy to prevent snarl from opposing Incineroar from lowering my attack and due to Groudon's ability Protosynthesis will be active immidiatly, however swaps might be necessary if opposing weather setters (or disruptors come in). Even without the protosynthesis boost flutter mane is still pretty fast and hits like a truck regardless. Dazzling Gleam is for spread damage, Moonblast is for dealing heavy damage along with Shadow Ball, Mystical Fire gives good coverage against opposing grass types that aren't ogerpon (other than pure grass ogerpon) as well as steel types or mons that will terra into steel to avoid dying to a moon blast or dazzling gleam.

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Follow Me
- Horn Leech
- Knock Off

An offensive follow me user, primairly used for coverage to help with groudon's weakness to water, Knock off is being used over swords dance as I find having a dark type move to hit opposing psychic types like solgaleo, firigaraf, etc... is more usefull overall. Their main role is an offensive support not a setup sweeper so swords dance is less useful here.

Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Thunderclap
- Thunderbolt
- Weather Ball
- Draco Meteor

Another mon that is able to take advantage of groudon's sun setting. I am running the booster energy on here instead of clear amulet, or choice specs since the boost will buff his special attack. Thunderclap for priority and thunderbolt for a more reliable electric type move against mons that like to use status moves instead of attack constantly, weather ball can deal strong fire damage if sun is up or water/ice if another weather has been set. Draco meteor is just for strong Stab unless I terra. I built him bulky because his speed isn't great to start with and I wanted to give him a chance to take a hit or two and dish out damage if need be.

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Knock Off
- Snarl
- Shadow Sneak

Generally used as a disruptor with great typing and bulk. I haven't had the chance to try him out as a Calyrex-S counter yet (I doubt he will prove too terribly useful against them) but generally he should be able to undo enemy stat boosts, remove held items, weaken special attackers, and potentially revenge kill if the enemy is weak enough. Generally used to disrupt enemy stratagies. Power of Alchemy would normally be the go to ability, but I find that it isn't very useful on this team considering the abilities that are on the team (yes boosting with protosythesis would be strong, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference especially if the sun isn't out and I would rather have an ability that is going to at least potentially do something rather than one that likely won't do anything at all).

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Tailwind
- Pollen Puff
- Dazzling Gleam

A fast speed control teammate with good offense and potential healing. Primary use is to boost speed with tail wind or hinder the enemy with sticky web (I am open to changing this out for something else). Pollen puff and Dazzling Gleam are great coverage options with Pollen Puff also serving a support function. Shield Dust basically gives me a free covert cloak and Focus sash almost insures that I will be able to set up tailwind. I know that there are better tailwind setters like tornadus and thunderous, and I am heavily considering changing Ribombee out for one of them, but I think I want to playtest with it a bit more first before making the change.

Please let me know what you think, what you would change and why you would change it. don't just say swap this mon for this other one without an explanation, stat spread, item, and move set.

I would definitely recommend at least running Protect/Spiky Shield for Ogerpon on a few of your mons. The most likely candidates you can drop for them are Knock Off Ogerpon, Mystical Fire Flutter and Heavy Slam Groudon.

As for the team. I'd replace Ribbombe with either Whimsicott/Tornadus as Prankster and Covert Cloak guarantees Tailwind setup and a few Tornadus carry Taunt which would shut down Ribombee completely.

Groudon could do with Will-O-Wisp as a way toxbetter deal with physical attackers as you don't have an intimidate user. I would use Precipitate, WOW, Protect and Heat Crash as it's moveset.

Replace Booster Energy on Raging Bolt with either Assault Vest or Lefties Calm Mind. Tera Electric is fine but you could also consider Grass/Fairy depending on whether Spore Ammongus and Groudon or opposing Raging Bolt/Miraidon are a problem. Electroweb/Snarl are good move options depending on which item you choose.

Muk Alola is interesting, but other Dark options such as Chien Pao, Kingambit, Urshifu Dark are likely going to be better going into Calyrex S. Scarf Chi Yu would be a strong option as it synergises with Groudon's sun.

I'm no EV god, I'm still tinkering with my own so have no suggestions for specific EV spreads atm.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)