DPP OU FUK DRAGONS (Suspect Team)

Used this team on suspect most of the time, it took a while to create but i'll get into that later:

The team:

---

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Payback

Role: Tyranitar is the lead of my team, and does things almost perfectly. The main goal is to get Stealth Rock up as it helps my 3 life orb sweepers pick up a ton of OHKOs after Stealth Rock. And this is the reason I use Lum Berry, so I can take Spore / Sleep Powder from Roserade/Smeargle and simply OHKO back with Payback (killing them with sand). If they switch out, then Stealth Rock is almost guaranteed unless I am now up against a Lucario or something.

Moves: When making my lead, the only slot I knew I needed was Stealth Rock - having it up as soon as possible was going to be huge for my team. Since I knew I wanted Tyranitar as my lead for setting up Sandstorm (which does hurt 1/2 of the team, but more importantly, damages the opponent as well) and that he matches up extremely well against a lot of other leads, especially the sleep ones, I chose Payback. With 2 slots left, I had to decide whether or not to use Ice Punch for Gliscor, Superpower for almost perfect coverage with Payback, or Thunder Wave for status. I decided right away on Superpower as it hits other Tyranitar, as well as Heatran and the rare Lucario switch in, as well as if they try to set up against me. With finally Ice Punch or Thunder Wave to choose, I chose Thunder Wave, as statusing opposing Pokemon on the switch or mispredict can really help this team out. I considered many times about using Ice Punch because Dragonite and Gliscor leads are so annoying but I never really got around to changing one of the moves (likely Superpower into it).

Azelf - Payback right away for the OHKO - the most they will get up is Stealth Rock
Swampert - Stealth Rock as they do to, switch to Shaymin to take the Earthquake, then switch to Starmie as they will likely go to Infernape/Heatran/Steel-type. If I'm daring enough, I'll just attack with Shaymin's EP/HP Fire, hoping to catch the switch-in.
Aerodactyl - Payback twice, they almost always Taunt on the second turn if they didn't do it on the first, hoping to catch you SRing.
Machamp - Switch to Starmie to take the Dynamicpunch, then switch to Swampert on the Payback, Earthquake kos sometimes, if not, then at least its basically a ruined Machamp. One of the most difficult leads to play.
Roserade - Payback, Leaf Storm won't ko and Sleep Powder won't sleep. Payback OHKOs.
Smeargle - Payback, will OHKO as Spore does nothing.
Metagross - Most of these play weird, I Stealth Rock turn one as they do, then switch to Swampert turn 2 as they Meteor Mash. At this point, I simply outspeed and OHKO with Swampert's Earthquake since anything other than CB would not kill it, and they look to Explode on me.
Infernape - Switch to Starmie asap, very few run U-Turn in the lead slot, and at least SR isn't up if they do.
Celebi - Payback, Celebi is a pretty annoying Pokemon to fight. Most of the time, it SRs turn 1 and then Leaf Storms which isn't too much to worry about as long as it is dead. Sometimes it doesn't even SR which makes things really easy for me.
Tyranitar - Unless they run 20 Speed, I outspeed and OHKO with Superpower.

Those are basically the important ones lol.

---

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 32 HP/224 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Bug]
- Seed Flare
- Rest / Synthesis / Psychic
- Earth Power

Role: Probably the most dangerous sweeper on the entire team, including Infernape because of how versatile and bulky she is. There are very few games where Shaymin isn't responsible for at least 2 kills. I think what I really like most about Shaymin is the typing. Pure Grass is actually pretty excellent as it eliminates many of the weaknesses most Grass-types have and leave me weak only to Flying (never used), Bug (Scizor?), Poison (never used), Fire (used almost exclusively on other Grass-types and Fire-types), and Ice (The real dangerous one because there always could be a surprise Pokemon running it). 5 weaknesses may seem like a lot, but when you break them down as I did, its only really 2 actual ones that scare me.

Moves: The thing about Shaymin is that it needs so many moveslots. Seed Flare was the only slot guaranteed because there were so many viable options for the last 3 slots. I knew I wanted something to lure in Heatran and Infernape, as well as take on CM Jirachi if I absolutely needed to, so I chose Earth Power straight away (HP Fire is too risky for CM Rachi). Yet, I still wanted something to fight other Grass-types and Scizor (although Scizor is KOed by Seed Flare Drop + Earth Power). So I ended up taking both EP and HP Fire. In the last slot, I chose Rest, as instant recovery as long as you switch out is one of the best things ever, and Starmie was always able to spin away entry hazards.

Moves (2): Overtime, I saw a weakness of mine to Celebi and Gengar. I experimented a lot, especially with Hidden Power Bug and Psychic, to let me surprise kill these Pokemon. I eventually decided on HP Bug/Rest/Earth Power/Seed Flare as the new set, but then Synthesis caught my eye - yes, I have Sandstorm. But 25% recovery is still 25% recovery, especially when your opponent in constantly switching to try and wear down Shaymin. I experimented with Synthesis before realizing that losing the status recovery was just too much. I went back to HP Bug/Seed Flare/Rest/Earth Power, but then decided that HP Fire was just way too important to give up, especially with a new wave of Abomasnow coming in. My switches were for naught, but I liked everything anyway.

Info: Timid 224 Speed lets Shaymin outspeed anything running 319 Speed specifically for Gliscor, because with HP Fire, I could only reach 327 Speed max anyway. 32 HP EVs gave my the LO number, always handy to have lying around. The rest went fully into Special Attack to provide that immediate power.
---

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP/252 Spd/16 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Role: My Rapid Spinner / Gyarados Counter. Gyarados was definitely a huge problem for this team, but Starmie was a pretty successful counter unless a lot of prior damage is taken. This is also the perfect counter to Infernape in my eye.

Moves: I use Surf/Thunderbolt for this reason instead of Ice Beam for Dragonite or Flygon. Recover is a given for the ... recovery, and Rapid Spin is a must to keep Spikes/SR off my side of the field. If I am fighting a full stall team, I will actually save Starmie for later in the game, since I can't do too much damage to Ghosts/Tyranitar. Nothing is better than being able to come back against a stall team late in the game when their ghost is near death so that I can Rapid Spin.

Stats: There isn't much to say here except basically max HP and max Speed for bulk and speed. I don't like being outsped, even when playing the part of a bulky SpinStar

---

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Role: Physical Sweeper who can play mindgames with the opponent. Lucario can really mess up teams late, especially when I have Stone Edge and Jolly Nature to abuse, because not even Jolly Gyarados can be a safe revenge killer. I can not tell you how many times being Jolly has saved my life, as I have ended up fighting a lot of Lucario one on one, with the faster one (almost always me) coming out on top.

Moves: This was a pretty easy set for me, I knew Close Combat, ExtremeSpeed, and obviously Swords Dance were givens. I wasn't quite certain on the last move and I was leaning a ton of different ways on it. Bullet Punch would have finally solved my Gengar problems and could have really done a number on ScarfTar, Stone Edge was a pretty safe solution to dealing with Gyarados, Dragonite, and Zapdos, Ice Punch would have really stuck it to those Gliscor, and Crunch was obviously a great move for Rotom-h. So why Stone Edge? It hits every Pokemon I listed at the very least neutrally. That was basically how I made my desicion! I figured Bullet Punch would actually have much use outside of Gengar/ScarfTar so why really bother, especially if Gengar had a sub up anyway. Crunch only really hits Rotom-h and could hit Gengar on the switch, and Ice Punch, although nice, couldn't really do much to Rotom-h or Gyarados, two big problem mons. Stone Edge hit Rotom-h for 100 BP, nothing to scoff at, and Gyarados for 200, and when combined with a Swords Dance, that becomes nearly always a KO, even after Intimidate.
---

Swampert (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 152 HP/252 Atk/104 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Role: This is my surprise Pokemon and one of the most vicious CBers in the game. I really have changed this Pokemon up a lot, but I think this is the optimal set. CB STAB Earthquake from 525 Attack is going to wreck things, no matter what you are and how strong you think you are. Unless you are immune / resist while being very bulky, you are likely going to be killed.

Moves: The 3 other moves are there for scenarios where Earthquake won't finish the job. Leading out with Ice Punch is definitely a good idea, much like CB Gyara with Payback in Standard - Celebi/Shaymin are the 2 top switch-ins. Stone Edge provides an final last ditch effort to stop Gyarados if he becomes too scary, and Waterfall actually becomes the main attack if Swampert drops below 1/3 HP.

Info: 152 Speed EVs bring me to 182, 1 more than those who go to 181 to outspeed those who go to 180! Anything more is excessive >_>. I then put the rest in Attack and HP, to keep my bulk but make sure I was the strongest as I could be.
---

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 80 Atk/252 Spd/176 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave

Role: Mix Sweeper - You should know what this does x). If not, it is the most dangerous sweeper on the team (not my favorite or personal best though, that honor goes to Shaymin) and can rip through unprepared teams with good prediction.

Moves: The only real interesting one here in Vwave - it is a true last resort to stuff that needs to be finished off like Scarf Magnezone/Tran, and stuff like SD Lucario who survived everything else. Grass Knot can really take down opponents who use Cune/Star as counters assuming your prediction is good enough.

Info: I run Max Speed because for some reason some don't, and so then I can just ko others with Close Combat.

---

THREAT LIST

Easy threats are in Green
Medium threats are in Blue
Hard threats are in Red

Aerodactyl - Tar Paybacks the lead until it dies, Starmie and Swampert can really mess up an attacking version
Azelf - Tyranitar Payback KOs the lead versions, NP sweeping versions can be revenged by Lucario or force the tie with Starmie - luckily these are never used
Blissey - The only Pokemon at the disadvantage is Starmie, who would simply spin away Spikes/SR that are usually associated with Blissey.
Breloom - If it's Leech Seed, Starmie can Spin/Surf/Recover and eventually win or at least force a switch. Seed Bomb is a lot more tricky, usually it could be game over. I try to never let it get a sub for free, because after Spore, I could be really fucked.
Bronzong - Outside of Explosion, it isn't touching Starmie, Swampert/Lucario/Infernape really mess it up.
Celebi - Infernape and Tyranitar are two of the worst Pokemon Celebi could fight. I luckily have both of them.
Dragonite - Really tricky to play, against the lead, I would probably just switch right to Starmie to take Superpower, pray its not EQ, and then go to Lucario for the DM/Tbolt and KO with Stone Edge. Against just sweeper versions, Luc could revenge kill but this thing is definitely scary. DD actually isn't as bad as Swamp at least has Ice Punch to knock it down.
Dusknoir - Tyranitar/Infernape/Shaymin are a pretty safe trio to use, everything else has to worry about Wisp/Shadow Sneak
Electivire - lol ... Shaymin has almost nothing to worry about, and Lucario/Nape could revenge kill in theory - yet I never once played one. It is only getting a boost from 1 move that I use pretty rarely, Starmie's TBolt.
Empoleon - Starmie is as safe as it gets as a counter, if it has Grass Knot, Shaymin can fill the void. It has almost no opportunities to set up on me.
Flygon - U-Turn is easily healable for Starmie, Shaymin has a field day on anything not U-Turn (Outrage just doesn't do enough to be much of a threat), and Lucario/Nape/Pert all can revenge.
Forretress - Infernape/Lucario/Pert/Shaymin really have nothing to fear as they all can either 2HKO/OHKO or just set up and sweep in the case of Lucario. Tar doesn't really enjoy seeing these as leads, but I can at least SR up and go to Shaymin.
Gengar - Big problem mon, Starmie is the only one who outspeeds but can't KO, Swampert can kill with Waterfall but takes a ton of damage in the process, Tar has to worry about Focus Blast at all times. I hate seeing this and I used Psychic on Shaymin at one point.
Gliscor - Swampert is a great switch in, in fact, as long as your name isn't Lucario/Tyranitar, you don't have much to worry about. Swampert does dislike Toxic if it is my first switch but it isn't a major concern.
Gyarados - Starmie/Shaymin after 1 DD can still threaten it, before a DD Lucario is a massive threat, and it can't really switch into Infernape. Swampert can Stone Edge revenge.
Heatran - Swampert/Starmie, everything on this team can immediately threaten Heatran. ScarfTran is still a problem sometimes.
Heracross - Actually a major threat, I have no switch in, and only Lucario revenges really.
Hippowdon - Swampert/Starmie/Shaymin (Triple S) takes out Hippowdon. Infernape can do in a pinch but I can't switch in on EQ. Against leads, just SR up and then go to Shaymin.
Infernape - Starmie is the best counter, my own Infernape has revenged a few of them.
Jirachi - Swampert is definitely the safest switch in, Infernape can revenge with Fire Blast if it isn't scarfed, Lucario will avoid flinches.
Jolteon - Swampert and Shaymin make good switch-ins but I do have to play around. Lucario will revenge with ExSpeed, and Jolteon won't do much to TTar so I can Payback it in some instances.
Kingdra - Swampert I guess, now that I think of it, I didn't play these too often.
Lucario - My Lucario will usually outspeed, and theirs will have almost 0 set up chances. As a last resort, Infernape will win.
Machamp - I already explained this one, but is probably the hardest Pokemon to fight.
Magnezone - Slow versions are easily revenged or just killed, Scarf is taken by Shaymin / Pert if I need to.
Mamoswine - Not much of a real threat, almost my entire team outspeeds and OHKOs.
Metagross - Swampert pretty much always kills it.
Ninjask - ... This could be bad to face I guess, but I never once faced it. I guess I would just Payback it with TTar and try to paralyze the switch. Theorymon here.
Roserade - Tar Payback, Nape/Luc/Shaymin could threaten lategame versions. Starmie spins Spikes away.
Rotom-A - Tyranitar/Infernape are my 2 usual switch-ins, if I feel a Scarf Tbolt is coming, in comes Swampert.
Salamence - OH WAIT (hehehe)
Scizor - It doesn't have many chances to U-Turn around except on Starmie, but again, I can usually keep it in check.
Shaymin - Infernape is the only real revenger I have, I usually try to stall it out with my own Shaymin
Skarmory - Starmie/Infernape are 2 great Pokemon to have for Skarmory.
Smeargle - Tyranitar Payback.
Snorlax - Lucario/Nape/Swampert/Tyranitar all have attacks that threaten it, and Shaymin could actually beat Resting versions.
Starmie - LO Starmie could be a big bitch, but luckily, Tyranitar can deal with lead versions and my own Starmie has a 50/50 shot of Tbolting first. Lucario could ExSpeed if I need to, and best of all, Swampert does a ton with EQ.
Suicune - It's not setting up on anything besides maybe Starmie, Shaymin is my safe counter though.
Swampert - Shaymin and my own Swampert
Tentacruel - Swampert
Togekiss - Swampert avoids Thunder Wave, Lucario avoids Flinch, depends on what the game setting is like.
Tyranitar - Swampert is as safe as it gets
Umbreon - Lucario and Infernape
Vaporeon - Swampert really threatens it with EQ, Shaymin's Seed Flare is another major threat.
Weavile - Lucario/Nape/Swamp
Zapdos - Tar/Swampert, Nape can revenge kill.

Vs Team types:

Rain Dance - Shaymin/Starmie and 2 Revenge Killers usually means I don't have too much trouble, especially since I can change the weather with TTar. These teams can certainly be annoying but they aren't anything I can't handle.

Hail - Only one person I faced on Suspect Ladder, a really good player who will remain nameless as he probably doesn't want his team disclosed, used Abomasnow, and with great prediction, this thing will wreck my team, especially with a Hail team. I know it wouldn't look like it, but it certainly has set up chances on Starmie and will hurt at least one of my Pokemon from then on. Add on that these teams love entry hazards and crafty play can make this hell.

---

Team Building Process:

When I was building this team to play on Suspect, the only thing I knew of was that I wanted Shaymin on my team.

One of the most underrated sweepers out there, and only improving with Salamence gone, Shaymin was the only Pokemon guaranteed a slot on this team. The original version of this team started with me wanting a heavy offense team consisting of Azelf/Shaymin/Jolteon, as they all have speed and good typing in my eyes, so I put them in:

I already saw some immediate problems unfolding, so I added ScarfHeatran to cover Fire-types, Crocune to complete the water/fire/grass cycle, and a Scarf Flygon for cleanup:

I liked the teams look but I didn't really like Azelf who had no use other than the lead position. I decided to put in Tyranitar instead for the reasons of immediate SR with Lum and that he can handle almost any team well.

I then realized I had a serious fighting-type weakness, as well as Jolly Gyarados being an ass to CroCune. So I threw in Starmie over Suicune to deal with both of these problems. I also realized Jolteon wasn't as good with this bulky team as I thought, so I put in a Machamp to abuse my own Fighting-type.

Heatran wasn't pulling his end of the bargain here though, and I wanted another fast sweeper who could move around, so I decided to use Infernape instead. With Infernape, I knew I could pull off a double priority with Lucario, and do I decided Lucario's Speed and versatility made him a much bigger asset than Machamp.

This team works really well but I figured that I needed a much more reliable Pokemon to take Steel-type attacks and more bulk than Flygon was giving me. This meant I would lose more to Gengar (and this has certainly been the case), but CB Swampert joined the crew, finally rounding out the team.

With these 6 Pokemon, I was able to reach number 2 on Suspect Leaderboard with a ranking of 1626. I have consistently been a part of the top 5 on Suspect until the last 2 weeks because of vacations and other matters, but I think this is one of the best teams out there on suspect.

Hi, kd24.

This is a really excellent team, and going over it I think it's very solid. I particularly like the proper usage of CB Swampert, as it makes the team very unique. I don't have many suggestions, and as a matter of fact, I actually only have one.

I suggest lead Lum Berry Metagross over your lead Tyranitar for the following reasons:

• Beats all of the leads TTar beats except Heatran, who you have Starmie for.
  • Beats Machamp leads reliably.
  • Gets up SR reliably.
  • Can still keep Azelf and Aerodactyl from doing anything other than one of Taunt or SR.
  • Gives you an added Steel-type with Explosion and priority for later in the game, adding an extra layer of Pokemon that can switch into Ice-type attacks, among others.
  • Can give you priority to hit Gengar pretty hard in the later stages of the game.
Try the following set:

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Spe
Nature: Adamant
~ Meteor Mash
~ Bullet Punch
~ Stealth Rock
~ Explosion

Other than this, I can't think of any seriously helpful suggestions. Good luck with the team and on your application to the Salamence council!

Yeah, actually a second steel-type, especially one with explosion to just blow up against machamp leads is something i would definitely consider if I have another chance to use this team, I don't like losing to leadtran with Lum, but by the same token, I do have really good counters to tran. That second steel-type would really help against dragon mons such as kingdra (who like I said, rarely faced but would probably have trouble against) and would give me a way to preserve my lum if switching into toxic spikes.

Metagross is definitely a viable option over TTar, I think the reason I preferred Tar is because of SS and how much it helps with that residual damage.

thanks for the comments, lead metagross is definitely one of those things i can look back on and say "you know, that wouldnt have been bad at all to use". thanks for the encouragement too x)

Yeah man I see some pretty bad weaknesses, noticeably the lead Machamp issue because nothing on your team can really take Dynamicpunch + second attack. I guess you can send Lucario in on the predicted Payback, but that eliminates any late-game surprise you might have for the opponent.

Bulky Rotom-H could work either Lucario or Infernape, sort of alleviating the issue to Machamp and to a lesser extent Gyarados (Starmie is not the most solid of checks in my opinion). You do lose a late-game closer, but I think defensively you need a bit more in order to take hits. This team is bordering bulky offense without a lot of bulky Pokemon unfortunately.

The other option I had in mind was Scarf Jirachi. Covers a lot of the problems you listed in your threat list, such as Dragonite and Gengar, while maintaining a bit more defense and offense simultaneously. Again, you'd have to sacrifice either Infernape or Lucario (I'd say Infernape), but I feel the change is worth it.

My two cents, great team.

This is a great team.
Congrats on making top two!
Running Life Orb Starmie with Ice Beam and/or Psychic could help out with Machamp, Gengar, and Dragonite at the cost of the utility of Spinstar.
Anti-lead Machamp (the bulkiest Machamp set one is likely to run into) takes 85.9% - 101.6% from Psychic and 57% - 67.2% from Hydro Pump should you choose to run that over Surf.
In the end, I can't really suggest anything else without going through a complete overhaul of your already extremely successful team.
Good luck making the Council!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)