ORAS OU Gastrodon and Friends (Peaked 1881, #41)

Introduction:

Hey everyone, this is my first RMT and team that I think is pretty decent. I think I could've gone a lot further than I did with this team, but unfortunately I'm not so skilled and tend to tilt pretty badly. Anyways, Gen 6 is over with, and I'd like to share this team with all of you, feel free to suggest any edits or make them yourself if you want, but I won't be changing anything on the team at this point.

Proof (herberber):

The Teambuilding Process was unfortunately just throwing random mons that looked strong together onto the team and then hoping it worked. The only real change that took place was exchanging offensive quiver dance Volcarona for swords dance Talonflame.

The Team at a Glance:

Explanation:
The basic premise of this team is just trying to pave the way for one of the three win conditions to set up and take over the game. Gastrodon in particular ends up walling such a significant portion of the OU metagame once it sets up with curse, so it deserves a special mention as the pokemon that has won me a significant number of games. Honestly, I really didn't put too much thought into the team itself, so it basically boils down to seeing whether Serperior, Gastrodon, or Talonflame is going to win me the game based on team preview and then just playing as well as you can.

The Squad:

Landorus-Therian (M)
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Landorus was added to the team because he should be on every ORAS team. He's by far the best pokemon in the metagame, and there's no reason not to use him as either a scarfer or a defensive tank on every team. Explosion is opted for over stone edge because removing the Grass-types which love to switch into Landorus (because he can't touch them) often means that Gastrodon walls and sets up on the entirety of the opponents team. Explosion also annihilates Clefable, which usually thinks it's safe to tank a scarf earthquake and set up.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Diamond Storm

Diance finds itself on this team as wallbreaker, means of blocking hazards for talonflame, and a nice lure for Landorus and Gliscor which otherwise think they can tank moonblasts and set up swords dances or hazards on it. Overall I'd say this set isn't that great, but it works well enough and it's always nice to kill the opponent's Landorus turn 2 (they'll almost always lead with it if it's rocks). Having a flying resist is also nice and handy for the bravest bird.

Serperior (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]

All pokemon from here on out are female to counter that meme attract Scolipede baton pass team. Serperior is here to improve the match up versus stall and deal with Manaphy. It also sweeps teams on it's own if gets behind a sub, which is pretty easy to do, and particularly fun versus Chansey and Alomomola due to the massive HP leech seed provides. Sub and leech seed also pressures Heatran a lot if you can get behind a sub. I also personally think having a grass type is mandatory, whether it's Ferrothorn or Tangrowth or Amoonguss or whatever, but I'm bad anyways so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Excadrill (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is here for spin support and setting up rocks. I prefer Excadrill to any other stealth rocker because it sets up rocks through magic bounce, which is an absolutely absurd advantage to have with 4/5 teams on the ladder being Mega-Sableye stall. Max speed and attack are for outspeeding neutral nature base 100's (which are everywhere) and threatening switch ins. It's nice to note that nobody will every expect this thing to be max speed for some reason once they see it set up rocks, and will freely let you kill their adamant Medichams or whatever else they decide to use to try and knock it out. Lefties are good for letting it switch in on Chanseys, Clefables, and hidden power ices. One really nice perk is that it switches in on Chansey for free since it can't be thunder-waved or toxiced and it's free to spin, set up rocks, or even kill it (iron head will do about 30% and will always eventually flinch it to death, and leftovers out-heal seismic toss thanks to a nice and balanced base 110 HP stat).

Talonflame (F) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- Roost

This was originally a Volcarona, but Volcarona sucked so I replaced it with this balanced pokemon. This is a bit of an odd Talonflame, with Max attack and HP as well as 8 speed EVs to creep defensive Talonflames. People don't expect adamant max attack sharp beak brave bird when they see will'o'wisp come out (mainly because it's probably not a good set), but this let's it double as a potent revenge killer as well as a set up sweeper that can OHKO or 2HKO a significant portion of the non-Heatran metagame without setting up, and can just burn the rest for residual damage. Band Tyranitar is probably the only scary thing to this pokemon in all honesty.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recover

Gastrodon is probably the only thing holding this team together honestly, but it does it's job very well. All I felt I needed to complete the team when I made it was a set up sweeper that could switch into Mega-Lopunny and Weavile as much as I needed it to and counter any variant of Keldeo too, and this was pretty much the only choice. Curse with max defense seems odd, but it's absolutely necessary for not getting killed by specs secret sword and powerful physical attackers, especially Bisharp which would probably 6-0 me without this little slug right here. Gastrodon just naturally walls so much of the OU metagame that it's a pleasure to use, especially electric types that love to volt-switch around whose best way of harming it is HP ice. Having a water-immunity also makes me smile every time I see a Suicune on the opposing team, so there's that too.

Threat List:
Tyranitar

This guy is with a choice band is the only thing I really fear facing. If it traps Talonflame with pursuit or predicts my will o wisp, Talon is dead and the game usually becomes very, very difficult, since this thing is usually paired with Amoonguss. It also ends up punching holes in the team with crunch since it does a ton to Landorus, which often ends up being my switch-in if I can't afford having my Gastrodon or Diance weakened.

Grass dudes

Amoonguss is annoying since it walls Serperior, Diancie, and Gastrodon pretty well (and Excadrill, but it can't do enough back if it blew it's sleep on something else), but it usually dies to explosion from Landorus. If Talon dies, this is a big problem.
Ferrothorn is annoying something and makes it tempting to put HP fire on Diancie, but it's usually not enough of a threat to make me bother. A free turn for Talon whenever this guy comes out it always nice as well.
Venusaur is like a worse version of Amoonguss, so it's often just as annoying.
Serp can get out of control if Talon is dead.
Just explode on these guys with Lando, honestly, they're a bunch of assholes.

Conclusion:
I hope you like the team. I apologize for not being smart enough to really explain it, but it served me well enough. If you don't use it, at least make sure you crush anyone you see using it now that you know all the sets.

Last edited:
Nothing against you but i'd like to point out this sentence:
moriah said:
Anyways, Gen 6 is over with, and I'd like to share this team with all of you, feel free to suggest any edits or make them yourself if you want, but I won't be changing anything on the team at this point.
What's the point of posting your team here if you don't even accept constructive criticism, i'm not saying that your team is bad or what but if you already knew that you wouldn't take any change or comment then why did you even post it ?

This isn't called Rate My Team for nothing.

Nothing against you but i'd like to point out this sentence:

What's the point of posting your team here if you don't even accept constructive criticism, i'm not saying that your team is bad or what but if you already knew that you wouldn't take any change or comment then why did you even post it ?

This isn't called Rate My Team for nothing.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone! I both accept and want constructive criticism! I posted this here because I wanted to see what people thought of my team and what changes they would make to it.

As for not making anymore changes myself, I just wanted to retire this team on a high note as far as personal use is concerned. I never exceeded 1400 on the ladder before I made this team, and I know it's just a bunch of data and pixels, but I would feel like I disrespected these little guys if I changed it in any way at this point.

In conclusion, I really just wanted to share the team that took me way higher on the ladder and see how other, more experienced players would rate it. I also want other people to be able to use the team if they so desire.

If I broke any rules I'll be happy to delete my post, and I apologize to anyone else who may have been offended!

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
One thing I would change without altering much of the team is changing excadrill to scarf and making lando as defensive, this basically solves your tyranitar issue and in the long run patches up it's weakness to sand-rush drill.
Also make your talonflame, spdef + bulk up+ taunt to have a better stall match-up and counter grasses better. You do lose will-o-wisp but you consistently beat most of the bulky grasses + unaware mons like clefable.
Anyways, gratz on the peak!!

Justrun hidden power fire on diancie. Landorus nor Gliscor take moonblasts
well. Hitting Ferrothorn and Scizor is worth more. Besides, you can just protect on scarf landot to lock it to a move something else can switch into
into.

Justrun hidden power fire on diancie. Landorus nor Gliscor take moonblasts well. Hitting Ferrothorn and Scizor is worth more. Besides, you can just protect on scarf landot to lock it to a move something else can switch into
into.
I probably would change it to fire if I decided to give another go at laddering up, considering this Diancie has never won a speed tie in its life anyways.

However, laddering up initially with hp ice was insane. Every time the opponent led with defensive Landorus-T, they lost turn 2 without exception, giving me a free 50+% wins (ended with around 80+% gxe) without having to do anything really, just clicking protect then hp ice. Bam. Game over. Scarf Landorus-T just usually got switched into my Sharp Beak Talonflame as a "counter" and 2hkoed after rocks. Huge reason I peaked as high as I did.

Now that the surprise factor is gone with people reading this RMT, hp fire is probably better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)