ORAS Doubles OU Hot

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
This RMT was the result of a nine hour flight, sleep deprivation, and mediocrity.

INTRO
Hello everybody it's Omega, and today I want to share a fun team that I used to get reqs for the Jirachi suspect. It's easy to use and pretty solid all around so I thought why not share it.

TEAMBUILDING

I started with Mega Charizard Y because it's strong as hell and has access to powerful spread. I liked being able to mindlessly click Heat Wave and tear through bad ladder teams, while also having a good matchup against the prevalent Jirachi + Azumarill core that was all over the higher ladder.

Charizard's biggest weakness is it's mediocre Speed, so I decided I wanted to pair it with a Tailwind setter. I screwed around with a few of options before finally settling on Whimsicott. I chose Whimsicott because of it's other great supportive options, namely Fake Tears and Encore.

I added Heatran for its powerful Sun boosted Heat Waves and fantastic Steel-typing. It adds an essential defensive backbone to the team with its nifty set of resistances, checking Talonflame, Latios, and others. It also helps my Trick Room match up a bit with Substitute.

At this point the team was rather weak to Landorus, so I decided to add one of my own. Not only does it help me check opposing Landorus, but it also let's me check Mega Diancie, who otherwise gives the team a lot of issues.

I added the other genie of the balanced meta to check Swift Swimmers with Thunder Wave, threaten opposing Landorus with HP Ice, and give my own Landorus another partner to EQ beside. The two together are just incredibly solid, so there wasn't really a reason not to add it.

I chose Kyurem for the last slot. It helps the Rain matchup a bit and also gives the team an offensive answer to Landorus. What's more, it single handedly destroys THALK teams, which was quite helpful in the higher ladder.

I removed Kyurem and added Gengar so I could play against Trick Room much more comfortably. Will-o-Wisp is super helpful versus Landorus and Kangaskhan as well, and it's just a great supporter all around.

IN-DEPTH

Charizard @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 8 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
Heat Wave

Solar Beam

Hidden Power

Protect

Charizard was the starting point of the team around which I built everything else. I decided run a bulky set because without it the team is a bit frail, and you'll be OHKOing everything anyways in conjunction with Fake Tears or Heatran's Heat Waves. I'm running HP Ground to catch opposing Heatran off guard, although I would consider swapping it out for a different move such as Overheat or Tailwind. The EVs live a spread Rock Slide from Landorus Therian. Though many like to invest in more Special Attack, I prefer the heavy defensive investment since it has saved me a few games and helps me take on Kangaskhan better.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Energy Ball

Tailwind

Encore

Protect

Whimisicott is not as bad as people assume. An extensive supportive movepool combined with Prankster makes it a dangerously unpredictable threat. Energy Ball hits Water-types and Diancie hard, and also allows it to put in work even if it's been Taunted. Tailwind is absolutely crucial, allowing Charizard and Heatran to spam Heat Wave and not worry about being outspeed due to their middling Speed tiers. Encore is great for locking an opposing Pokemon into a useless move, such as Protect or Fake Out. Protect has many applications, such as preventing Fake Out from breaking your Focus Sash, letting you burn the last Tailwind turn in order to set it again, or preventing it from being KO'd by an opposing Pokemon and having your ally deal with the threat. I'm running a max/max EV spread here since Whimscott is so frail that it doesn't many relevant defensive benchmarks anyways (though correct me if I'm wrong).

Heatran @ Leftovers

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Heat Wave

Earth Power

Substitute

Protect

Heatran really glues the team together with it's fantastic offensive presence and good defensive typing. Behind a Substitute it becomes a truly terrifying force to be reckoned with, especially if the Sun is set up. The set is entirely standard except for the Timid nature, which I chose to improve my match up against opposing Heatran. Outside of Sun the damage drop off might be a bit noticeable, but the security of being able to OHKO opposing Heatran without any worries is worth it imo. The 24 HP EVs prevent spread Rock Slide from Scarf Landorus from breaking Heatran's Substitute.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Earthquake

Superpower

Rock Slide

U-turn

Landorus is my go-to fast attacker. Its excellent coverage and fantastic ability in Intimidate assure it finds its way on to most of my teams. Landorus lets me check Diancie, Kangaskhan, and Heatran, which is very helpful for Charizard. The set, again, is quite standard. I'm running max Speed here just so I can outspeed opposing Landorus and perhaps Skill Slide them or U-turn out.

Thundurus @ Zap Plate

EVs: 140 HP / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Thunderbolt

Hidden Power

Thunder Wave

Protect

I just love offensive Thundurus. Outspeeding unspecting Keldeo and Diancie is probably the greatest feeling in the world. I often use Thundurus as a lead with Landorus or to clean up late game with its fantastic speed. It also provides another means of Speed control outside of Whimsicott's Tailwind, which is pretty vital for the team's success. I'm using Zap Plate here to bluff a bulky set and let it take on Talonflame better, since Life Orb recoil can rack up quickly. The EV spread lives a -1 Kangaskhan Double-Edge.

Gengar @ Focus Sash

Ability: Teravolt
Timid Nature
Shadow Ball

Will-o-Wisp

Taunt

Protect

I added Gengar as my sixth. It helps substantially versus Trick Room and provides fantastic support with WoW, crippling Kangaskhan, Landorus, and others. Furthermore Gengar let's me hit common Psychic- and Ghost-type Trick Room setters super effectivly, which is very useful as well. I originally wanted this slot to help me against Rain teams, but I've realized my Rain match up isn't that bad since I have two forms of speed control, a Grass-type, an Electric-type, and Sun. Gengar really rounds out the team and covers its biggest weaknesses. The max/max EV spread let's it be as fast as possible and hit hard with Shadow Ball.

CONCLUSION
Although I try to make my RMTs funny I'm p sure they just come out cringy as hell, so I've contained all (most) of my stupidity in this section.​
Matame is my only friend on Smogon.
Mishimono is my side hoe when Matame has stupid timezones and/or is making a tea.
P.S. I hate writing and did most of this on a 6x2 inch screen.​
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 8 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Thundurus @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Protect

Last edited:

Matame

New Rules
oml i said name it after a song and thats the one thing you couldnt do oml i quit

ok so your team is super cool and a total rip off of houndoom manual sunroom. Kyube does seem like a liability so i highly suggest you change it to Cresselia. This way you can still check Landorus, check rain with sunny day, act as a shakey trick room check with trick room and just act as a general defensive backbone.

Miracle Aligner (Cresselia) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 84 SpA / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sunny Day
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick Room

rly tho this has houndoom manual sunroom written all over it

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
oml i said name it after a song and thats the one thing you couldnt do oml i quit

???

EDIT: So that my post is at least somewhat useful, I'll give this a rate real quick.

This is a fairly standard, but still solid, super sunny team. Fake Tears / Tailwind Whimsicott really helps you out and I like a lot of the sets you went with. Just a few things that I'd recommend you change: as pointed out by both you and Matame, Kyube is just sort of there. And while it's a great mon that I'm sure pulls its weight most of the time, that slot could be used much more effectively by something else. Personally, I think I'd fill it in with Wide Guard Hariyama. I know that this is a fairly unorthodox choice, but the addition of Fake Out makes it much easier for you to set TW / Substitute, and stall out Rain turns or deal with fast threats. It's also decently slow to be threatening in TR, and provides you a reliable way to get the OHKO on Kangaskhan, which you otherwise lack.

Aside from that, the only other changes I'd make are rather small. You have a fair number of ways to deal with SubTran, so I think I'd use Roost > HP Ground on Charizard, as that is by far the most important Pokemon on your team, allows it to take advantage of Protects on the last turn of TW, and goes really well with the bulky EV spread you've selected. Flamethrower is also worth pondering for that added accuracy since you already have plenty of spread attacks. Since Stone Edge Scrafty is pretty threatening, you should run Moonblast > Energy Ball on Whimsicott, which also gives you a better way of dealing with Dragon-types like Latios that could give you some trouble. If you do so, then a spread of 196 HP / 96 SpA / 216 Spe; Timid would help Whims stick around much longer while still nabbing that KO on Scrafty and outspeeding fast Thund. I definitely think this team needs Encore instead of Protect to have another way to pressure TR, but obviously Protect is a great move so I can see why you have it slashed. As you were mentioning, a bulkier Lando-T spread might serve you well, so my personal choice would be 56 HP / 212 Atk / 56 Def / 184 Spe; Adamant which avoids the 2HKO from Talon, the OHKO from +1 LO Bisharp, and the OHKO from standard bulky Thund's HP Ice while still outspeeding Mega Gengar. All three of those can be decently threatening to your team, so this is definitely a change I'd consider. Since your Talonflame matchup is a little bit on the shaky side, I think Magnet > Life Orb on Thundurus is a worthwhile change to make. You don't really need the extra power behind HP Ice, but you do need Thund to stick around so that it can paralyze Swift Swimmers. You could consider a bulkier spread to accompany this but I don't think it's necessary so I'll leave it up to you.

Good luck with the team!
Hariyama @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 17 Spe
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

Lives a Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out + Return 100% of the time using Sitrus, max Atk, rest SpD. Knock Off was in the hopes that you can catch Latios on the switch in, and for general utility, although many other moves could be decent (Stone Edge, Protect, and Feint come to mind).

EVs: 240 HP / 144 Def / 16 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Protect

You didn't need 8 of those HP EVs to live Lando-T Rock Slide, so I moved them to SpA. Obviously not a big deal but figured I'd point it out regardless.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 196 HP / 96 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Fake Tears
- Encore

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 56 HP / 212 Atk / 56 Def / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Lives -1 Mega Kang Double Edge, which could come in handy considering that Double Genies is a fantastic lead, as is Mega Kang.

Last edited:
This is a really good team and quite innovative. I personally don't see much need to change the team except (what TalkingTree recommended and) using Conkeldurr over Kyurem-Black. What Conkeldurr do is provide your team with defensive support and other usefulness.
  1. Rock Slide and Earthquake, especially which your Mega Charizard-Y and Heatran is vulnerable to, can be blocked by Wide Guard, giving your other Mon the option to go on the offensive, sub, or switch. In addition, its Wide Guard would prove to be useful when facing opposing Heat Wave and potential Muddy Water (talking about when Prankster Thundurus uses Rain Dance).
  2. And I'd say that its Iron Fist-boosted moves are quite amazing. Its Intimidated (-1) Ice Punch is guaranteed to OHKO Landorus-T. Drain Punch is obvious, but you want Conkeldurr to stay by your side as long as possible. For the matter of its priority Mach Punch, it will inflict as least 53% of Heatran's HP; it will 2HKO it even with Heatran's Leftover. Now, in the case that Heatran has Shuca Berry, no worries, you don't have to switch to some other Mons; just Mach Punch Heatran and let your other Mon do what it got to do. (I'd keep HP Ground on Mega Charizard-Y.)
Hope this information was helpful!

Conkeldurr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard

Last edited:

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Ty all for the rates, especially tree for those hot EV spreads. After some testing I changed Kyurem to Gengar, and I also added an importable with the most current version of the team. I'll update the OP soon.

edit: did

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)