Inheritance Inheritance (Magic Bounce and Good as Gold Banned!)

First off, the easiest way to set-build is to start by building the mon you are inheriting from (in Barraskewda's case, start by selecting Urshifu), graabbing moves and ability you want, then hit export and replace Urshifu with Barraskewda.

Secondly, make sure you inherit only one move pool. You lose the inheritor's movepool when you inherit a new movepool and ability set. That's the problem you have with Uxie currently (Volcanion doesn't have BPress)
I tried the suggestion and it still gave me an error, and from what i saw on showdown volcanion gets bp

Attachments

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
good news everyone! i just got the hottest bans for inheritance!

1689921711152.png

Enamorus, Magearna, Dragapult, Samurott-Hisui and Poison Heal are banned from Inheritance!!

Enamorus
is a Pokemon with Contrary+Superpower. With that tool basically any fighting type could become a fierce attacker that snowballed very easily. Enamorus especially had a lot of synergy with Future Gallade, since it is a mixed fairy/fighting type, so it could use a lot of what it brought to the table. Enamorus' fantastic coverage made easy to fit options such as Gholdengo moot and would require an unaware pokemon that didn't have a bad type matchup or to hope they didnt bring Mystical Fire into your levitate Gholdie. Enamorus as an inheritor was no slouch either, but the main reason its banned its due to its access to the afromentioned combo + its great movepool to back it up.

The Mag(earna) is once again terrorizing yet another meta with its hard to beat setup sets (when will we ever learn). Its fantastic typing gives it a small amount of weaknesses and resistances to like half the type chart, including notably an immunity to dragon tail, which means that the common Cyclizar regenvesters cant phaze it out and generally are terrible stops to it. It can inherit levitate to check the ground types that would otherwise force it out, Frostmoth!Mag can snowball out of control very easily with its fat ass bulk and quiver dance, Hatterene!Magearna can beat unaware mons with its immunity to half the moves they press. The only consistent answers to it were otherwise somewhat mid mons Heatran and Moltres, making it quite restrictive in game and in the teambuilder.

Dragapult's main reason to get the boot it's it Sheer Force set. This mon is the fastest in the tier and its also one of the toughest breakers to answer. Of course we were gonna do something about it. I already made a post about Pult and what not, where i go on about how the only consistent answer to Tauros!Pult is a now also banned set, but at the end of the day, theres only empirical evidence for proving that pult is broken, not for sheer force as a whole, which is why we ended up voting on it.

This meta, like every gen 9 meta, has a poor hazard removal game. The last thing it needs is Hisuian Samurott donors running around clicking a 97 bp stab move that set spikes. On top of that, it has other moves that are good, like sacred sword, sucker punch, swords dance, Razor Shell and Knock off, making it a potent donor all around. In order to lessen the oppresiveness of hazard stack in the meta, Hisuott will no longer be allowed.

Poison Heal is like if Regen rewared you for staying in. I have a million billion replays where I lead my Pheal Metal Hariyama and just win from there. Posion Heal users just do too much work in game. They never die, have insane bulk and just enough tools to get past any counterplay that just isnt Gholdengo as itself. It should speak volumes that the most consistent answers to poison heal pokemon are your own phealers.

Now that these are out of the way, the current watchlist includes

Sheer Force: I still don't trust this ability. Pult might have been the only truly broken user right now, but with it out of the picture we might see more hard to answer mixed breakers boosted by it. Should it be banned, Pult will probably be freed, as its only broken set is the sheer force one

Iron Valiant: Its main inheritor might have been banned, but this thing just has such a cracked typing and stats that its completely possible that it can prove itself to be broken just running life orb and 4 coverage moves like a certain dragon with a dumb face but without the need of a boosting ability because it actually hits stuff supereffectively.

Iron Bundle: Ive heard the cries about how mecha santa is making the meta feel like its Xmas Futurama-Style and Im responding with a resounding "Im looking at it". Now that it is the fastest pokemon in the meta it may finally prove to be too much, or perhaps festive season will end and we'll find a way to play around it.

Gholdengo (and Good as Gold): As previously stated, the current state of hazard removal is dire. While defog isnt currently very popular as removal, for the few that do wish to try it Gholdengo inheritors might pose a problem for this. Even if it isnt as common as a donor, Gholdengo also has a fantastic typing and stats with many options to choose from. It is possible that with enough lab time it find a way to weasel a win out of every matchup it may find.

Lastly, one of our councilmembers, Clefable, is busy with IRL stuff until the end of the month and thus will be taking a leaver for now. Even more now than before, we are looking for potential councilmembers to add to the team. If youre interest in the position, I personally recommend forum posting a lot, making thorough analysis and the such.

tagging Kris to implement the changes, thank you for your work!

I just made it to the 1400s with a mostly standard team, which I will now have to rethink after the bans (Mag and dragapult were central components). I did have two things to add:

Garchomp @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Spikes
- Sucker Punch

Lead Garchomp Inheriting from sudowudo - lays down spikes, hits hard with EQ and head smash. Sturdy plus red card has been really helpful, at the very least it mostly guarantees a layer of spikes, but often something like cresselia or levitate magearna will switch in and set up, and you can get all three layers down and force them out when they attack. Sucker punch is good once you are down to 1% and they send in something fast to revenge kill.

I have been pairing this with a standard OU Gholdengo

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Someone called me boring for this, and it is, but plain vanilla scarf Gholdengo has been great - outspeed and OHKO non scarf Iron Valiant and dragapult, trick can cripple Cresselia, and blocking all hazard removal is as good here as it is in OU.

good news everyone! i just got the hottest bans for inheritance!

View attachment 536693

Enamorus, Magearna, Dragapult, Samurott-Hisui and Poison Heal are banned from Inheritance!!
I feel a bit like a fraud for not realizing these were banned and then playing with them. ._.

Also, I have to wonder if these bans were to shake up the meta or to ban things that were actually game-warping. For the latter purpose, I feel that while some of them were genuinely problematic, others feel like responses to people just getting whooped.

Anyway, my thoughts.

Enamorus is a Pokemon with Contrary+Superpower. With that tool basically any fighting type could become a fierce attacker that snowballed very easily. Enamorus especially had a lot of synergy with Future Gallade, since it is a mixed fairy/fighting type, so it could use a lot of what it brought to the table. Enamorus' fantastic coverage made easy to fit options such as Gholdengo moot and would require an unaware pokemon that didn't have a bad type matchup or to hope they didnt bring Mystical Fire into your levitate Gholdie. Enamorus as an inheritor was no slouch either, but the main reason its banned its due to its access to the afromentioned combo + its great movepool to back it up.
Iron Valiant with Enamorus was pretty oppressive, but it wasn't the Enamorus part that did it. Iron Valiant could copy basically anything with both Swords Dance and Substitute and be just as stupid, easily sweeping or at least gutting a compromised team.

Other inheritors lack both the STAB and the speed Iron Valiant gets, and are much less plug-n-play than Valiant.

Sad to see Enamorus as an inheritor go as a casualty of banning it. I didn't use it but it seemed interesting. I think the real problem is Iron Valiant.

The Mag(earna) is once again terrorizing yet another meta with its hard to beat setup sets (when will we ever learn). Its fantastic typing gives it a small amount of weaknesses and resistances to like half the type chart, including notably an immunity to dragon tail, which means that the common Cyclizar regenvesters cant phaze it out and generally are terrible stops to it. It can inherit levitate to check the ground types that would otherwise force it out, Frostmoth!Mag can snowball out of control very easily with its fat ass bulk and quiver dance, Hatterene!Magearna can beat unaware mons with its immunity to half the moves they press. The only consistent answers to it were otherwise somewhat mid mons Heatran and Moltres, making it quite restrictive in game and in the teambuilder.
As much as I'll miss it, I agree with this one. Every set does the same thing but you never know what the coverage is and there's so few checks to it, especially if they run substitute when you switch to your garg inheritor. Pretty sure everything about Mag being broken has already been said.

Dragapult's main reason to get the boot it's it Sheer Force set. This mon is the fastest in the tier and its also one of the toughest breakers to answer. Of course we were gonna do something about it. I already made a post about Pult and what not, where i go on about how the only consistent answer to Tauros!Pult is a now also banned set, but at the end of the day, theres only empirical evidence for proving that pult is broken, not for sheer force as a whole, which is why we ended up voting on it.
This is one I really disagree with. While Drag was oppressive and had a serious case for best pokemon in the tier, unlike most of the others on this list, its checks consisted almost entirely of pokemon you wouldn't mind running regardless. These were of course in the form of tanky Knock Off pokemon and strong pokemon with Sucker Punch. It also had a pretty big counter in the form of Cresselia!Garganacl, and Ting-Lu!Cyclizar didn't do too bad either if it was statted correctly, dodging the 2HKO from both CC and Ice Beam, even if the two were combined.

This meta, like every gen 9 meta, has a poor hazard removal game. The last thing it needs is Hisuian Samurott donors running around clicking a 97 bp stab move that set spikes. On top of that, it has other moves that are good, like sacred sword, sucker punch, swords dance, Razor Shell and Knock off, making it a potent donor all around. In order to lessen the oppresiveness of hazard stack in the meta, Hisuott will no longer be allowed.
While entry hazards could be oppressive and they are still useful, they are certainly less impactful than they are in basically any OU tier. Despite the existence of Ceaseless Edge, it's much harder to set them up because you give up more momentum than you would in a more normal game. Sam-H's movepool is offensive, lacking healing and status options, meaning it can really only be used on offensive pokemon, which only get one chance to setup hazards before they die. Several pokemon can either setup on you directly or force a 50/50 where they either setup in the face of a resisted ceaseless edge or one-shot the Sam-H inheritor after tanking one of its other three moves.

I don't know if Spikes are worth two or three pokemon. And these are Spikes that, quite frankly, could be easily removed because the best spin blockers got absolutely nailed by the Knock Off from a Cyclizar inheritor.

Also, unless you're running Rapid Spin, Dark has pretty poor coverage. Most things that counter-led Roaring Moon and Urshifu-R resisted Dark, so oftentimes you lost signifcant momentum dealing with them.

That being said, without Dragapult, Urshifu-R and Roaring Moon have much, much more incentive to just run Swords Dance, so maybe it's good that it's banned.

Poison Heal is like if Regen rewared you for staying in. I have a million billion replays where I lead my Pheal Metal Hariyama and just win from there. Posion Heal users just do too much work in game. They never die, have insane bulk and just enough tools to get past any counterplay that just isnt Gholdengo as itself. It should speak volumes that the most consistent answers to poison heal pokemon are your own phealers.
Agreed. Metal Hariyama felt impossible to kill without a boosted draining kiss from Mag. Glad this ridiculous BS is gone.

Now that these are out of the way, the current watchlist includes

Sheer Force: I still don't trust this ability. Pult might have been the only truly broken user right now, but with it out of the picture we might see more hard to answer mixed breakers boosted by it. Should it be banned, Pult will probably be freed, as its only broken set is the sheer force one
The other sheer force pokemon have issues. All of them that aren't Iron Bundle are slower than Iron Bundle, and most of them will probably have weaker CCs making it much harder to deal with Hisuian Goodra who could already be statted to live Shadow Ball into CC. There are probably a lot more checks to the other options.

Dragapult's thing was that it came out swinging as though it were halfway through a shell smash. Without something with its blistering speed sheer force won't be nearly as impressive.

As for Iron Bundle, it will probably continue to run Basculegion since unlike Dragapult its STABs are harder to cover, and regardless it still dies if you breathe on it with anything resembling a SpAtk stat. Better against sucker punch checks though.

If Drag is going, sheer force should stay unbanned just because it's honestly a lot of fun and it stops the game from getting too defensive.

Iron Valiant: Its main inheritor might have been banned, but this thing just has such a cracked typing and stats that its completely possible that it can prove itself to be broken just running life orb and 4 coverage moves like a certain dragon with a dumb face but without the need of a boosting ability because it actually hits stuff supereffectively.
I'll have to test Iron Valiant sets, because it definitely seems super busted now that it isn't easily revenge killed by Drag and Mag.

Iron Bundle: Ive heard the cries about how mecha santa is making the meta feel like its Xmas Futurama-Style and Im responding with a resounding "Im looking at it". Now that it is the fastest pokemon in the meta it may finally prove to be too much, or perhaps festive season will end and we'll find a way to play around it.
Reactions to Iron Bundle seemed overkill before. Drag got a surprising number of switch-in opportunities on many pokemon thanks to its very relevant immunities and resistances. Iron Bundle doesn't have this luxury, resisting only its own stabs and dying to every special attack.

That being said, one Iron Bundle's biggest checks was Dragapult itself, easily revenge killing it or forcing it out. It won't be nearly as good as Drag but its checks are much more narrow, generally requiring a water type to deal with it, and those are hard to fit outside of Urshifu-R or another Iron Bundle, both of which are probably getting two shot through resistances anyway. But even with all of that there's still the issue that it just. dies. to everything.

It's hard to say as it is.

Gholdengo (and Good as Gold): As previously stated, the current state of hazard removal is dire. While defog isnt currently very popular as removal, for the few that do wish to try it Gholdengo inheritors might pose a problem for this. Even if it isnt as common as a donor, Gholdengo also has a fantastic typing and stats with many options to choose from. It is possible that with enough lab time it find a way to weasel a win out of every matchup it may find.
I would agree that Gholdengo's existence does incentivize using rapid spin more than it is already, considering Goodra-H and especially Ting-Lu can just nail incoming switch ins with a super effective knock off. Perhaps for that overcentralization reason maybe it should be banned.

However, and I don't know if this is what you were implying, but I would specifically ban Good as Gold if you go this route. Gholdengo as an inheritor is both fairly popular (definitely meets the 3.41% threshold) and not problematic.

Also, I would avoid putting too much stock into hazard removal. Just because you can't keep them off doesn't mean you automatically lose. Hazards were very okay before the bans and I can't imagine them shooting up to broken after them. Not being able to remove them isn't a meta-ruining issue.

In fact, I would argue it actually helps significantly, keeping the battle moving during a slower game. Not being able to defog for fear of letting your opponent set up honestly helps the state of the meta more than it hurts.

Lastly, one of our councilmembers, Clefable, is busy with IRL stuff until the end of the month and thus will be taking a leaver for now. Even more now than before, we are looking for potential councilmembers to add to the team. If youre interest in the position, I personally recommend forum posting a lot, making thorough analysis and the such.
I would love to join. This format is pretty fun. However, won't this format be removed from smogon at the end of the month? That would influence my decision.

Put Substitute on the watchlist. Inheritance might be one of its best tiers, allowing multiple pokemon to set up and sweep and being only countered by Encore and Torch Song, and the former only if the boosting pokemon is slower.

Last edited:

Don Vascus

This is one I really disagree with. While Drag was oppressive and had a serious case for best pokemon in the tier, unlike most of the others on this list, its checks consisted almost entirely of pokemon you wouldn't mind running regardless. These were of course in the form of tanky Knock Off pokemon and strong pokemon with Sucker Punch. It also had a pretty big counter in the form of Cresselia!Garganacl, and Ting-Lu!Cyclizar didn't do too bad either if it was statted correctly, dodging the 2HKO from both CC and Ice Beam, even if the two were combined.

Im gonna refrain from touching on the rest of the post and point out

1) 4 Atk Life Orb Dragapult Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ting-Lu: 218-257 (42.4 - 50%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Nice check bro

(Besides using your regen slot on tingler sucks ass)

2) cress!garg is a legit check to pult that i forgot to mention, but cress itself is watchlisted bc it fat, its not as easy to fit as you think, and name one other check that isn't currently banned

I had fun playing 4 games on ladder today and I thought I'd share some sets that are inferior to Goodra-h getting Cyclizar:

:florges-blue: :lumineon:
Aqua (Florges-Blue) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Encore

Who needs to actually resist iron bundle when you can use Lumineon??? This is one of the special walls that you can use, and with all the dragons an opponent I faced once used, Dazzling gleam is very useful. You do give up reliable recovery for an ability and U-turn, but I think it's not worth it.

:garchomp: :komala:
Food? (Garchomp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Ice Spinner

I love using Komalachomp as my spinner. Comatose means you are immune to status and toxic spikes, so you can use a spinner that would normally get poisoned with tspikes and just be immune. Komala is very underrated, and also totally outclassed by the existence of a certain steel type spinner with regen.

:electrode-hisui: :lurantis:
Snail Mail! (Electrode-Hisui) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Pollen Puff
- Giga Drain
- Energy Ball

Finally, there's this. Contrary + Leaf storm on an actually fast mon. You could run 3 less moves if you wanted, or throw on defog because Lurantis gets that move. Despite all the dragons and flying things I faced in my 4 games, you can usually do some serious damage with a +6 leaf storm to anything that doesn't quad resist and have a base 150 spd stat and the freedom to run av.

Also fun fact: a specs iron moth beads of ruin flamethrower in sun only does like 50% to av goodra-h. I think I see why I struggle with that mon now...

I've had a lot of fun with this Iron Valiant set:
Iron Valiant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- Triple Arrows
- Leaf Storm
- Brave Bird

This is a great leadoff mon with U-turn to gain momentum early, as well as a scarf to ensure you get your attacks of almost always first. It helps check Hisuian-Goodra + deals tons of consistent damage and pressures teams with defense drops, crits, or even flinches coming from Triple Arrows, which is guaranteed to hit anything that switches in with Scrappy.
Leaf Storm is there for the rare Tusk who wants to try to set up (or any grass weak physical mons) and Brave Bird OHKO's other Iron Valiants so long as they're not Jolly Scarf.

Nearly brought me back to win with 9/14 flinches from Triple Arrows: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9inheritance-1912965055

After getting 1st on the ladder I present to you probably the best team in the format that's incredibly broken and unable to beat unless you have very specific counters:

1690823462735.png
Gholdengo @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Skill Swap

Originally this was meant to counter Enamorous Valiant but it just beats half of the tier on it's own, it even spinblocks every spinner that isn't a dark type and outstalls them. Skill Swap was originally for taking toxic heals off of mons, but it also works at taking away regenerator and guts now.

1690823475884.png
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Protect

You don't have a lot of guaranteed dmg on this team so having salt cure + another ghost resist + status immunity is incredibly convenient for going against a lot of teams. It also just puts up rocks against Goodra which is unable to spin while surviving the salt cure chip.
You could run rocky helmet on this to beat mousehold inheritors, but you kinda just beat them with ting lu most of the time.

1690823485758.png
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

This pokemon is genuinely immortal and can dragon tail out any threat that can't ohk it after a boost, which is surprisingly many.
You could run another item like AV or rocky on this but it doesn't actually keep it's item usually since it's your knock off switch in from cyclizars and having the 6% recovery against heavy hitters is very nice to have in general.
Knocks hits very hard and non-neutral ghost have an insanely hard time staying in, it also knocks off avs, boots and lefties which is invaluable on a stall team and having the momentum with u-turn is kinda necessary in an insanely offensive metagame such as this.

1690823498801.png
Blissey (F) @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Recover
- Tera Blast

Kind of the only thing that consistently beats all of the unwallable special attackers in the tier, cloak is mostly just for consistency against ice beam freezes and hurricane confusions, but not having the 6% leftovers recovery really hurts against burns from mons like Moltres Skeledirge, but you can just stall those out anyways with the wish support on this team.

1690823508947.png
Iron Hands @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Def / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Substitute
- Wild Charge

This was the slot where Urshifu Samurott was before, but this is also very convenient for trapping goodra and generally just getting chip off. It doesn't actually ohk Goodra unlike something like Tusk might, but it has a lot more general utility so I prefer it over Tusk.
You could probably just put in another Urshifu set here though, since you just need something to capitalize on the free uturns Ting Lu gives you.
With the para support getting a single free turn while trapping goodra also means that it goes down and that usually happens very quickly in games.

1690823518692.png
Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

Effectively the all rounder on the team, just does what you need it to do, mostly countering any salt cure/iron defense/body press gargs, stab body press or not. Having dazzling to chip down fighting types is very nice aswell, even though it usually does less than 20 on most targets.

Counters?

Anything running Tauros with Close Combat usually beats this, but you have to make every correct prediction or any type of chip or status will usually wear you down. Especially if you can't keep hazards off and just take continous chip from having to click cc with life orb on.

The team is also weak toxic spike setters like Glimmora or ones that can threaten out Scream tail, but usually you will find some room to spin with lu while not having to toxic you entire team with the spikes.

There's also some incredibly specific counters like SD Grimmsnarl and Life Orb special Bundle with physical coverage, but I doubt they will do much in other matchups so it's a big opportunity cost.

I genuinely hope this team gets nerfed before this comes back as an OM of the month

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
last day! guess ill share a couple of sets

:tinkaton:Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

i asked don to rate my team a while ago and it sucked lol but he didnt say nothing about this set soooo

self-explanatory set that loves ph being banned (p trash before then). you apply more than enough pressure to get rocks up and have enough bulk to just click your amazing buttons at least a few times a game. you can take a eq from the likes of unaware tusk and hammer it to the moon. strong knock is beyond goated too and lets you trash regenvests that try to deny you hazards.

+2 252+ Atk Kingambit Gigaton Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 351-414 (80.8 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

tink also has like ice hammer or edge or smth if you dont need rocks. beware magpull.

:altaria:Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake / Brave Bird
- Roost

altaria is cool. defog+willo is absolutely wonderful to have and natural cure is surprisingly great on the ladder. set also works on mons like tusk/chomp, molt (either, i tried gmolt its viability is questionable), zapdos, enamt (alt gets moonblast fsr). overall just a pretty cool donor, willo is goated and defog's inclusion is great when you dont want to run cyc regenvest or want to shore up your hazard game.

:cresselia:/:espeon:Gholdengo @ Leftovers / Covert Cloak
Ability: Levitate / Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast / Dazzling Gleam
- Moonlight / Morning Sun

plugging this mon again because its on almost every single one of my teams please help. the defensive profile is so fucking good and synergizes so well with mons like hoodra. i tried mbounce and still do prefer levitate on ghold specifically but mbounce does have some great benefits and is something i think is slept on a lot.

:rillaboom:wanderer (Zarude) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Low Kick

very straightforward but offers quite a lot in one slot imo. its speedy yet still powerful (do not underestimate wood hammer from this thing), packs fast uturn, packs fast stab knock, provides grassy support for teammates should that be desired. i suppose set can also be ran on meowscarada, and banded variants can work too.

:damp-rock:
i only ran rain for a couple of days before the pult etc bans but nowadays rain is fucking everywhere what the hell.

ok bye

Team I ran the last week. Didn't play much, but it's still got some not-unsets.

https://pokepast.es/8534ed7b56491136

:Roaring Moon: @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Crunch nearly hits as hard as 2x SE Earthquake, Psychic Fangs is there for Fighting-types. Not much else to say, Dark-types have been hitting just a little too hard since gen 6.

:Iron Leaves: @ Life Orb
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword
- Agility

Leaf Blade hurts, smoking 0 HP Walking Wake (99/91 physical bulk) from full. There's an argument to made for dropping Psycho Cut for Night Slash to hit Gholdengo, but I like the coverage provided by Grass/Psychic/Fighting. EVs outspeed 252/252+ Great Tusk because I couldn't think of anything else.

:Gyarados: @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin

Moxie and two moves that increase Speed upon landing means Gyarados gets psueudo-DD built-in and can threaten snowballing if you try to sac mons to it.

:Sandy Shocks: @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rattled
Tera Type: Electric
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

My life for some of the Pokemon with this moveset from NatDex. You could run Refrigerate Hyper Voice Aurorus, SFLO Nidos, or even Sturdy Mental Herb Aggron/Bastiodon. As it stands you can get Synchronize from Mew, Unnerve (no) or Sand Stream (maybe, not this team) from Tyranitar, Quark Drive from Iron Thorns, or Serene Grace, also from Dudunsparce.

:Iron Moth: @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Chilly Reception
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Surf

Ironically my favorite way to use Torkoal!Iron Moth was as a Boot'd spinner, but Eruption in the sun is a dumb dumb move. I've considered Mew, who gets Earth Power and Volt Switch, but Regenerator is an incredibly busted Ability, especially when it lets a very strong Fire-type get in more. Disrupting opposing weather is a nice side-effect. Sludge Bomb will smoke Iron Bundle from full so it's easy to force out and gain momentum.

:Azelf: @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Esper Wing
- Psyshock
- Close Combat
- Calm Mind

Braviary-Hisui has easily been my favorite Pokemon to use this month. This set is hilariously unoptimized. It was a Meloetta, then Hoopa once I realized Life Orb Close Combat from a respectable Attack hurts, then Azelf for the much higher speed tier and even stronger CCs. Losing Shadow Ball is a little annoying but I like being able to hit from either side while blasting Darks with CC. A bulky mon (like Meloetta) could maybe run Stored Power, but I suck at building.

Don Vascus

Announcements time

First off, Greybaum has joined the Inheritance council!

Onto the new bans

1692637889198.png

Cresselia

Cress is once again an obese meanie that you cant ohko with super effective stab moves, or anything. Any defensive set can check everything and stay forever. The more egregious one being of course garg!cress, which removed one of it weakness, Ghost. Such obsene and flexible defensive profile is simply unhealthy for the game

Magnet Pull

Trapping once again is proven to be uncompetitive, even if limited. Even with magnezone's nearly nothing of a movepool, Magpull teams still proved to be a headache, with Mag!BigDonphan to trap Goodrah and nothing else. Trapping the most common Av mon in the game is pretty good, to say the least, and the counterplay to it was to run a lesser mon like Amuk and lose to the stuff Magpull helped either way. I promise to never let magpull be free again

Iron Bundle

I am the Grinch, I'm as charming as an eel. And Mecha Santa's presence in the tier is as healthy as catching a cold an getting ill. Its the fastest viable pokemon has a formidable stab combo, and a variety of sets to choose from. From these, the highlight in my opinion is Pelipper!Mecha Santa, which could knock the AV out of its checks and blast everything else with a strong hydro pump. This meant that the one really reliable check to it was Goodrah, and its not like it didnt sweat versus other sets such as Basculegion. With this in mind its easy to see why it got kicked out.

Watchlist Update!!

Garganacl

Garg has 5 moves that are worth jack but those 5 moves work on literally everything. Notably, IronPress/Curse + Salt Cure makes it quite a competent wincon when combined with its status immunity thanks to Purifying salt, as Salt Cure is like Toxic but it bypasses some of the traditional ways to prevent Toxic (typing, Bounce, GaG), which helps against the many potential unawares and things that might resist your main attacking move. All Garg donors play the same, but that doesnt make them any less annoying to deal with. Maybe I'll stop whining about it once Clefable comes back and we all have a Mguard mon to beat them with

Pelipper/Drizzle

It is my opinion that its possible that with a lesser mon like Inteleon we can still replicate one of the more annoying aspects of Mecha Santa, that being to force every team to run an AV mon that resists Water or else. Pelipper still gives busted move Knock Off, and there's precedent to rain being broken as a whole, although now we have only one swift swimmer per team and GoodraH to keep us company. Lets see if the efforts to run rain prove successful (P.S. to that one guy running rain on ladder, Why arent you running watershifu over iron valiant?)

Sableye

Sableye (Iron Hands) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Recover
- Encore
- Will-O-Wisp

i bet this set is really fun at parties

IMO MagPull + Iron Bundle was the most broken combination in the game, but with Iron Bundle getting banned I don't think MagPull is banworthy.
MagPull's dominance was a reflection of how over-reliant the metagame was on using H-Goodra to counter Iron Bundle. With IB gone, H-Goodra is no longer obligatory on every team. Plenty of AV + Regen pokemon alternatives become even more viable now with Iron Bundle banned. If you absolutely need H-Goodra for your team, you can run ShedShell and still function as a hard counter to special wallbreakers like H-Zoroark.

And in the case that the opponent doesn't have H-Goodra, Heatran, or Kingsgambit, CB Magnet Pull Tusk becomes more of a liability to your team than a strength.

I think Revival Blessing should be on the watch next.

Last edited:
Rain needs to be gone; or at least Damp Rock. Might be a skill issue on my end but how am I walling Adaptability boosted shenanigans, Swift Swim abuse, and stuff? I basically have to dedicate one mon to have the Water Absorb ability, and the mons that get it are too passive that it hurts to watch. If I don't use Water Absorb I'd be damned because the rain teams I've encountered can break through Defensive Walking Wake which by the way double resists water. If not rain then at least take Damp Rock away because that abhorrent stone re-enacts God flooding the earth and no way I'm lasting 8 turns without getting my team worn out by then. Everyone and their mothers in 1400 elo above are using rain teams with almost the exact same mons, and if you call that creative then I can now see the reason why a blank canvas would sell a million dollars in an art auction.

Iron Bundle ban when implemented might help and I might change my mind after, especially since Iron Bundle somehow managed to deal more than 50% on my Chansey with Adaptability Hydro Pump in the rain.

td;lr : ban rain or take away damp rock. also im pissed because im so shit at teambuilding and ive fried my brain coming up with a mon that can hold against rain teams.

Don Vascus

IMO MagPull + Iron Bundle was the most broken combination in the game, but with Iron Bundle getting banned I don't think MagPull is banworthy.
MagPull's dominance was a reflection of how over-reliant the metagame was on using H-Goodra to counter Iron Bundle. With IB gone, H-Goodra is no longer obligatory on every team. Plenty of AV + Regen pokemon alternatives become even more viable now with Iron Bundle banned. If you absolutely need H-Goodra for your team, you can run ShedShell and still function as a hard counter to special wallbreakers like H-Zoroark.

And in the case that the opponent doesn't have H-Goodra, Heatran, or Kingsgambit, CB Magnet Pull Tusk becomes more of a liability to your team than a strength.

I think Revival Blessing should be on the watch next.
Im not gonna consider freeing magpull now that in a month alolan golem is coming back. That shit actually learns more moves than tbolt and iron press

Don Vascus

Magnezone learns Iron Defense. Did MP Tusk ever run Choice Band?
Its admittedly not the most popular choice, however,

252+ Def Great Tusk Body Press vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Goodra-Hisui: 288-342 (79.1 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Goodrah lives an unboosted body press from full. Every relevant steel either is immune to fighting and trapping as a whole, or runs pivoting so i always advocated for band to do the most of it

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I personally feel that trapping is pretty anti-competitive, but doubly so in a tier with hidden abilities like Inheritance. Bringing any Steel-type ends up being an unnecessary risk when your opponent can take out your Corviknight or Goodra-Hisui with Thunderbolt or Body Press slapped onto any abuser they feel like bringing that day. I also don't consider Shed Shell sufficient counterplay, especially when Knock Off is so common.

As for things I still find broken:

:slowbro-galar::quick_claw:
Slowbro-Galar can donate Belly Drum or Nasty Plot and pair it with Quick Draw to forge countless uncontestable tanks. I've personally enjoyed it with Iron Hands and Great Tusk the most, as Drain Punch recovery and a strong defensive profile is definitely helpful for a Belly Drum sweeper, but Pokemon like Landorus-T and Volcanion are plenty broken in their own right imo. I think the Cresselia ban was needed, but Levitate Gholdengo is possibly the only truly splashable answer to these sets and the Cresselia ban definitely pushes these sets into the spotlight more. Unaware and Prankster are still available to shut it down, but only one archetype can really afford to run those and I feel like it's stifling the potential for creativity in this tier.

:cyclizar:
So is this guy. Regenerator & Knock Off is frankly broken when it comes to making progress, Rapid Spin is incredibly splashable and centralises the hazard metagame, and U-Turn is quite possibly the best tool for bringing in the other stupid breakers we have. The other Regenerator donors like :slowking::tornadus-therian: and :klawf: are much more reasonable because they have far more limited tools at their disposal.

I also think the following things below might be broken, but I don't think I've had enough experience with them yet to warrant posting anything.
:sv/iron valiant: I don't know that removing Contrary was enough, but I also haven't seen it be particularly dominant; we'll have to see I suppose.
:sv/gholdengo: It lost its best donor, but the potential is still there IMO.
:sv/Zarude: You might think I'm joking, but this guy goes crazy with Rillaboom or Maushold supporting him.
:pelipper: Rain.
:garganacl: Salt Cure is insane.
:sableye: Prankster.
:clodsire: :quagsire: Unaware & Toxic.

edit: :pawmot: revival blessing, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)