SM OU Keld+M-Latios Balance

Egor

I COULD BE BANNED!
RoAPL Champion

Teambuilding Process

I started to build this team around Keld+M-Latios offensive core. Keld is able to put many pressure on specially defensive mons like Chansey and Gastro with its strong Specs-boosted Secret Sword and check threatening for M-Latios attackers like Kyu-B and Ttar. Keld also lures Bulu with HP Poison. M-Latios in return pressures the likes of Pex, M-Venu, and Amoong. M-Latios also lures the likes of Ferro and M-Sciz with HP Fire.

Gear is not only my wincon. It also provides some defensive utility in checking Psychics like Lele and M-Zam. Gear appreciates the likes of Amoong, M-Venu, and Heatran being smashed with my offensive core. Particularly this Gear set heavily pressures bulkier builds. I'll explain set more at In-depth Look.

After Gear, I immediately put a FerroBro defensive core. It can check most notably both Grens, as well as other stuff like Koko, Zyg, Lele, and Rain. This core also gives my team Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave support, which helps Gear beat faster threats and generally be more effective vs offense. Bro also can possibly lure and cripple Volc with TWave.

Ok, last mon. My team lacks of Ground, Speed and hazard control. Lando greatly fills these roles. Scarf allows Lando to be a revenge killer and a check to the likes of M-Pins. Lando is also my offensive pivot, being able to obtain momentum and bring my mons on the field safely.

In-depth Look
@

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Poison]​

Standart Specs Keldeo. Scald and Secret Sword are the most spammable moves. Scals has an additional utility in crippling physical attackers with burn, and Secret Sword beats specially defensive mons like Chansey and Gastro thanks to targeting Def stat instead of SpD. Hydro Pump is the strongest but not reliable move. HP Poison is particularly for lurung Bulu. Specs allows Keld to hit really hard at the cost of being locked on one move.

@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Roost

Standart M-Latios set. Psychic is the strongest and the most spammable move, hitting the likes of M-Venu and Pex for a super effective damage and doing decent damage to neutral targest. HP Fire is for luring the likes of Ferro and M-Sciz. Earthquake is for Heatran. It also hits Ttar for super effective damage, although not 2HKOes, so M-Latios is still vulnerable to it. Roost increases M-Latios's longevity, allows it 1v1 the likes of Tang, and keeps M-Latios healthy troughout the match.

@

Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Calm Mind and Pain Split are Gear's setup and stallbreaking tools. They allow Gear to most notably 1v1 Chansey, as well as other passive mons like Pex. Fleur Cannon is Gear's main damaging move, hitting incredibly hard especially after boosts. Thunderbolt beats Pex and deals super effective damage to stuff like Torn and Fini, allowing Gear to preserve Fleur Cannon or Z-move for something more important. Fairium Z is necessary to one-time strong as fuck nuke, eliminating mons like Lando and Zyg. Near max physical defensive investiment is for setting up on physical attackers more easily.

@

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Stealth Rock is mandatory on every team. Leech Seed is Ferro's way to heal itself and teammates. Power Whip is the only directly damaging Ferro's move. Protect allows Ferro to scout stuff and, in conjunction with Leech Seed, to heal more HP and stall out opposing mons. Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet deal great chip damage to contact attackers and punish U-turns. The given spread allows Ferro to take on special attackers more easily while also improving physical bulk.

@

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Scald cripples physical attackers with burn. Ice Beam beats the likes of Lando, Zyg, and Chomp more reliably. Thunder Wave provides Speed control, allowing to stop setup sweepers and cripple fast mons. Slack Off, Leftovers, and Regenerator increase Bro's longevity and keep it healthy throughout a match. The given spread maximizes Bro's physical bulk, allowing it to check physical attackers more easily.

@

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 96 Atk / 212 Def / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Bulky Scarf Lando. Defog is my form of hazard control. Earthquake is the most spammable move. Rock Slide gives great neutral coverage with EQ. U-turn is for pivoting, generating, and maintaining momentum. Choice Scarf allows Lando to be my form of Speed control at the cost of being locked on one move. The given spread gives Lando offensive presence and physical bulk, further increased by Intimidate.

Threatlist
: Volc just sweeps my team at +1 if it wasn't lured and paralyzed with Bro or it's under Misty Terrain fuck it.
: beats 5/6 my mons. M-Latios'll be paralyzed and crippled for the rest of match.
: I can handle it only offensively. If it has Glare support in the team, then my team'll be destroyed.
: Focus Blast variants easily break my team. Non-CM Gear can be stopped by my own Gear, though.​

Last edited:
u tried electrium z over fairium z on magearna for toxapex? +1 gigavolt is ohko with sr up. +1 fleur cannon is ohko on landot also so maybe u dont need it.

makes it so u can break toxapex/celesteela type teams easier if u have a pex lure, otherwise keldeo cant do much work

Egor

I COULD BE BANNED!
RoAPL Champion
u tried electrium z over fairium z on magearna for toxapex? +1 gigavolt is ohko with sr up. +1 fleur cannon is ohko on landot also so maybe u dont need it.

makes it so u can break toxapex/celesteela type teams easier if u have a pex lure, otherwise keldeo cant do much work
Gear 1v1s Pex even with zfairy, I dont really need zelectric

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey Egor, cool team. Choice Specs Keldeo is an interesting pick rn, especially with HP Poison to lure Tapu Bulu.

The team is fairly well-built, and you already mentioned the main threats. But I wanted to highlight a couple in particular that I found when looking over it. Then I'll suggest changes that will hopefully improve the team.

Threats to the team:

579.png: Once Reuniclus sets up one Calm Mind it can be pretty hard to stop. Nothing on the team does a very good job of pressuring it or preventing it from setting up and nothing hits it hard super effectively. If it's paired with Toxic Spikes it just gets more annoying, but they aren't needed anyway. Slowbro can paralyze it but that'll probably just delay the inevitable.

637.png: You already mentioned that Volcarona can pretty much sweep your whole team after a Quiver Dance, with your only way of stopping it being Slowbro paralyzing it. But it has better setup oppurtunities against Ferrothorn and Magearna anyway.

Major Changes

248-m.png> 381-m.png : The first major change I suggest is using M-Tyranitar over M-Latios. This has a number of benefits, it gives you a dark type which can pressure Reuniclus and completely wall the standard double dance set. It's a bulky Pursuit-trapper that can pressure and remove other bulky psychics such as opposing M-Latios and M-Latias, this helps Keldeo alot. It's also a soft check to Volcarona, since it lives anything apart from a +1 Savage Spin-Out and can OHKO back. Lastly it's a great Stealth Rocker that keeps them up against stall, making that matchup a bit easier. The last moveslot can be changed, Earthquake is useful for hitting Heatran and Magearna, Crunch can be used to hit psychic types you predict to stay in and attack such as M-Latios going for Earthquake, Fire Punch and Ice Punch are options aswell.

465.png> 598.png : The second major change I suggest is using AV Tangrowth over Ferrothorn. Since I removed M-Latios, grass types such as SD Kartana become more threatening and SpDef SD Bulu was already a problem. I opted for a mixed bulk AV Tangrowth which can switch into Greninja and Serperior but also deals with said physical grass types, the EVs specifically let you live a +2 All-Out Pummeling from Kartana. As for the moveset, HP Fire ensures you beat Kartana and also hits M-Scizor and Ferrothorn, Sludge Bomb lets you beat Tapu Bulu and ensures you beat Serperior 1v1, Giga Drain is obviously needed and Knock Off is extremely useful, although it can be swapped for Earthquake to prevent Heatran from getting a free switch in and to hit Magearna harder.

Minor Change

645-s.pngHidden Power [Fire] > Rock Slide [optional]: Lastly, an optional change of making Landorus HP Fire instead of Rock Slide, this gives extra insurance against Kartana and M-Scizor who can definitely threaten the team if your answers to them get weakened. Although Rock Slide is useful for punishing Volcarona and M-Charizard Y, and also lets you check the rare but threatening M-Pinsir.

~~~~

This was one of the more unique teams I've rated, it's not perfect but has been very fun and decently successful in a few test games I played. Hopefully the new version is one you like and decide to try out.

Below I'll leave an Importable along with a list of threats to be careful of.
212-m.png: Dealing with M-Scizor can be a bit awkward, Keldeo is a great answer since it tanks Bullet Punch easily and hits hard with Specs Scald or Hydro Pump, but repeated U-turns can lead to it getting worn down. Tangrowth can deal alot of damage with HP Fire and can even outspeed it after it curses, but U-turn will still do alot. If you choose to run HP Fire on Landorus it can also be a great answer, but otherwise you'll have to get alot of predictions right and keep Keldeo healthy.

748.png: Bulkier teams with Toxapex can be a pain to break as it walls your main breaker. Getting up rocks, Knocking Off its item and burning with Scald help to weaken it slowly, pressuring the team with Magearna will probably be a good wincon too. But these games can still be tricky to win.

637.png: Volcarona is still tough to deal with, even if you don't get completely swept by it. You'll have to bait out the Z-move before M-Tyranitar can beat it, potentially forcing you to sack something. Otherwise you'll have to rely on Keldeo who can also live a hit and OHKO back with Hydro Pump.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Poison]

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Crunch

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Egor

I COULD BE BANNED!
RoAPL Champion
Hey Egor, cool team. Choice Specs Keldeo is an interesting pick rn, especially with HP Poison to lure Tapu Bulu.

The team is fairly well-built, and you already mentioned the main threats. But I wanted to highlight a couple in particular that I found when looking over it. Then I'll suggest changes that will hopefully improve the team.

Threats to the team:

View attachment 143546: Once Reuniclus sets up one Calm Mind it can be pretty hard to stop. Nothing on the team does a very good job of pressuring it or preventing it from setting up and nothing hits it hard super effectively. If it's paired with Toxic Spikes it just gets more annoying, but they aren't needed anyway. Slowbro can paralyze it but that'll probably just delay the inevitable.

View attachment 143547: You already mentioned that Volcarona can pretty much sweep your whole team after a Quiver Dance, with your only way of stopping it being Slowbro paralyzing it. But it has better setup oppurtunities against Ferrothorn and Magearna anyway.

Major Changes

View attachment 143550> View attachment 143551 : The first major change I suggest is using M-Tyranitar over M-Latios. This has a number of benefits, it gives you a dark type which can pressure Reuniclus and completely wall the standard double dance set. It's a bulky Pursuit-trapper that can pressure and remove other bulky psychics such as opposing M-Latios and M-Latias, this helps Keldeo alot. It's also a soft check to Volcarona, since it lives anything apart from a +1 Savage Spin-Out and can OHKO back. Lastly it's a great Stealth Rocker that keeps them up against stall, making that matchup a bit easier. The last moveslot can be changed, Earthquake is useful for hitting Heatran and Magearna, Crunch can be used to hit psychic types you predict to stay in and attack such as M-Latios going for Earthquake, Fire Punch and Ice Punch are options aswell.

View attachment 143552> View attachment 143553 : The second major change I suggest is using AV Tangrowth over Ferrothorn. Since I removed M-Latios, grass types such as SD Kartana become more threatening and SpDef SD Bulu was already a problem. I opted for a mixed bulk AV Tangrowth which can switch into Greninja and Serperior but also deals with said physical grass types, the EVs specifically let you live a +2 All-Out Pummeling from Kartana. As for the moveset, HP Fire ensures you beat Kartana and also hits M-Scizor and Ferrothorn, Sludge Bomb lets you beat Tapu Bulu and ensures you beat Serperior 1v1, Giga Drain is obviously needed and Knock Off is extremely useful, although it can be swapped for Earthquake to prevent Heatran from getting a free switch in and to hit Magearna harder.

Minor Change

View attachment 143554Hidden Power [Fire] > Rock Slide [optional]: Lastly, an optional change of making Landorus HP Fire instead of Rock Slide, this gives extra insurance against Kartana and M-Scizor who can definitely threaten the team if your answers to them get weakened. Although Rock Slide is useful for punishing Volcarona and M-Charizard Y, and also lets you check the rare but threatening M-Pinsir.

~~~~

This was one of the more unique teams I've rated, it's not perfect but has been very fun and decently successful in a few test games I played. Hopefully the new version is one you like and decide to try out.

Below I'll leave an Importable along with a list of threats to be careful of.
View attachment 143557: Dealing with M-Scizor can be a bit awkward, Keldeo is a great answer since it tanks Bullet Punch easily and hits hard with Specs Scald or Hydro Pump, but repeated U-turns can lead to it getting worn down. Tangrowth can deal alot of damage with HP Fire and can even outspeed it after it curses, but U-turn will still do alot. If you choose to run HP Fire on Landorus it can also be a great answer, but otherwise you'll have to get alot of predictions right and keep Keldeo healthy.

View attachment 143558: Bulkier teams with Toxapex can be a pain to break as it walls your main breaker. Getting up rocks, Knocking Off its item and burning with Scald help to weaken it slowly, pressuring the team with Magearna will probably be a good wincon too. But these games can still be tricky to win.

View attachment 143547: Volcarona is still tough to deal with, even if you don't get completely swept by it. You'll have to bait out the Z-move before M-Tyranitar can beat it, potentially forcing you to sack something. Otherwise you'll have to rely on Keldeo who can also live a hit and OHKO back with Hydro Pump.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Poison]

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Crunch

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn
Thanks man! I'll try your suggestions!

Reactions: DKM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)