ORAS Doubles OU Life Under Thunder(Updated Import)

So when I decided to create this team I knew what core I wanted to use from the beginning. This being Genesect/Heatran. The #1 reason being is the great synergy.
With Genesect being a steel/bug type its only weakness is fire, and because of this Heatran becomes and amazing switch in for it. Not only does Heatran take no damage from fire type attacks, but its own fire type attack power is boosted.

SadicalbutRadical (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

So on every team I like to have at least one mon to put up a substitute, and Heatran is arguably one of the best pokemon to use substitute with in the doubles format. I opted for leftovers over Shuca Berry because I feel that if Subtran is played well Shuca Berry makes little difference in how long it will survive, and getting back to max health with leftovers is a lovely thing. :]

Stain (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- ExtremeSpeed or Thunder Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Next up is the commonly slept on Genesect.
Genesect's ice beam covers the obvious Landorus weakness to Heatran, and because of how commonly use it is, it is well needed.
Most people who use Genesect don't normally use Extreme Speed with Choice Scarf, but that makes me feel as though they are forgetting the difference between the two.
Choice Scarf is used to go fast, and Extreme Speed is used to go first, when necessary. Choice Scarf helps to outspeed scarf Landorus-Therian, and make quick work of it. While Extreme speed is mainly used to hit other mons with priority +1 attacks, even taking out low health pranksters before they can start with their shenanigans.

I suppose Genesect's extreme speed could be swapped out for thunderbolt if Gyarados, or Talonflame appear to pose a threat to the team that makes you uncomfortable.

Sopha (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

In the words of the ever-random finally "add Keldeo to your team, it will make it better," I decided to do just that. Heatran resists 4/5 of Keldeo's weaknesses, and Genesect resists 3/5, while Keldeo resists Genesect's only weakness, and helps out Heatran with a water resist.
With Keldeo's fantastic damage output, and coverage that helps out any team in so many areas it fits greatly.
Quick Guard is a fantastic first turn move against fake outers as Keldeo will outspeed most of them (Including Mega-Kangaskhan), and an even stop a Talonflame from using Brave Bird if necessary.

Shaian's Mom (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 142 HP / 252 Atk / 114 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss or Power up Punch
- Double-Edge or Return
- Sucker Punch

Mega-Kangaskhan does not need much explanation, as it is an undeniably solid mon.
The Seismic Toss Double-Edge set is meant to be funtional after burns/intimidates/reflect, 2hko'ing pretty much everything I believe.
The Power up Punch/Return set is meant to allow Kangaskhan to rampage through all things, mainly with Amoonguss at its side.
Kangaskhan's EVs outspeed 252 Spe Jolly Breloom(as well as mons that outspeed it by 1), and will keep it alive a tad bit longer. :]

Edit: My Kang has around a 50% chance of surviving a Keldeo 232 SpA Life Orb Secret Sword
And a 100% chance to survive a 252 Keldeo Secret Sword without a life orb

Stonewall Jackson (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 182 Def / 74 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Amoonguss is one of my favorite pokemon viable in the metagame, and one of the easiest to use.
With rage powder's ability to redirect attacks (mainly away from Kangaskhan, or Heatran), It helps an incredible amount. Amoonguss resists 1/1 of Kangaskhan's weaknesses 3/5 of Keldeo's, and 2/3 of Heatran's. With such a fitting typing Amoonguss is definitely a corner stone of the team.
Rocky helmet has gotten more ko's than I ever expected it to, and I'll definitely be using it on future teams.

Stuntin' (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 212 HP / 128 Def / 52 SpA / 96 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Thundurus has become one of my favorite members of the team. It being one of the fastest pranksters it can taunt other pranksters before they can the chance to do anything. It also helps out a lot against other support pokemon such as Amoonguss, or stat boosting mans. Even providing assistance against Mega-Kangaskhan by slowing it down(and hopefully stopping it completely on occasion) leaving it open for hits.

SpaceBass - Definitely one of my favorite people to talk to on PS. Thanks for the teams and things <3
Hashtag - Another really great guy, who I will forever remember as the guy who stopped me from reaching my ladder goal multiple times a while back. He bae doe
Arcticblast - Got me to use rocky helmet on my Amoonguss(among other things), and it has helped me out a lot. I really appreciate the help you've given me in the doubles format.
Audiosurfer - Shout out to Audiosurfer for being a solid dude dude, period.
qsns - Often down for some shenanigans, and a funny guy. If you don't get along with him it'll confuse me.
13ulbasaur - The princess of the Doubles room, Bulby. I always enjoy Skyping with you :]
KyleCole - A pretty chill dude, who makes pretty cool videos. Check out his siggy.
finally - As mentioned before, got me interested in Keldeo in a time that I was steadily sleeping on it. He's cool, and funny dude. I honestly couldn't think of any flaws this man has.
TGMD - For not remembering who I am :'I
ElegyOfVGC - Someone I can always joke around with. He can definitely help me relieve stress if needed.
Nido-Rus - A pretty chill guy who beat me in probably our first 10 games, I'm doing pretty well against ya' now though >_>
thebagman - A funny dude, who owes me a bo3 cc 1v1 match
mouse de frank - Someone I refuse to ever play against seriously, as it will ruin what I love about this dude. How often he's just fooling around, and chillin. (Same for thebagman)
Victorious B.I.G. - A pretty cool guy, who can rap(bonus). I can relate to him a bit better than others in the doubles room, so I talk to him quite a bit. Also, when you tryna rap battle bruh
iliketrains11 - The only guy who I think I've lost to using a perish trap team. Thanks for the copy btw, it's god tier, and the there are no words for the beauty of the nicknames
Dashspin - One of my old buddies, who I Skyped with quite often. I hope you're enjoying your time away, friend. :)
Memoric - Always an interesting guy to talk to, but sadly holds my honor until he accepts another 1v1 cc challenge.
shrop05 - A really chill guy who keeps me interested in VGC by watching his own games. He also has the voice of an angel.
Pinoy Pwnage - Honestly I used to think I had no chance when battling this guy. He's a solid player, and I always enjoy battling with him.
Fangame10 - rip

Sopha (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Stain (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Stonewall Jackson (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 182 Def / 74 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Quiet Time (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Shaian's Mom (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Stuntin' (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 212 HP / 128 Def / 52 SpA / 96 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

(Yes their nicknames all start with "S," and no I don't have any legitimate reason for it, just wanted to do it like that)

\(^0^)/ Yay for my first RMT

Last edited:
Yo congrats on your first rmt dude, ily
I think flash cannon thundurus isn't really that great unless you are running max speeed (because the thing you tryna hit with it is diancie, and you don wanna underspeed her)

Also i'm not clear on kangaskhan's EVs. you underspeed base 80s by two points, and i don't think theres anything near that speed tier that you should worry about. If you want to get as much bulk as possible, you should creep the Jolly Breloom tier, which is 108 or 112 speed.

also 10/10 memes, 10/10 dude

Yo congrats on your first rmt dude, ily
I think flash cannon thundurus isn't really that great unless you are running max speeed (because the thing you tryna hit with it is diancie, and you don wanna underspeed her)

Also i'm not clear on kangaskhan's EVs. you underspeed base 80s by two points, and i don't think theres anything near that speed tier that you should worry about. If you want to get as much bulk as possible, you should creep the Jolly Breloom tier, which is 108 or 112 speed.

also 10/10 memes, 10/10 dude
It outspeeds jolly Breloom :]
And fc is there for a tad bit of support against KyuB
It doesn't 2HKO it, but it nearly does, so if I have something else hit it as well(since this is doubles) I should be good.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Should probably mention 188 Spe outspeeds Jolly Breloom before Mega-Evo'ing. But anyway, that spread doesn't make a lot of sense since MKang should normally be evolving turn 1, barring the use of Scrappy on a ghost. Running just the 108 Spe would probably be better since it lets you run significantly more bulk, which is what you want on your Kanga. Another thing, on that Amoonguss you're wasting 4 EV's, the set should be using 184 Def / 72 SpD, not 182 / 74.

Also you might wanna try Terrakion over Keldeo, since your team looks pretty weak to Sun offense (you have 1 counter, and everything else just loses to CharY + redirection).

Should probably mention 188 Spe outspeeds Jolly Breloom before Mega-Evo'ing. But anyway, that spread doesn't make a lot of sense since MKang should normally be evolving turn 1, barring the use of Scrappy on a ghost. Running just the 108 Spe would probably be better since it lets you run significantly more bulk, which is what you want on your Kanga. Another thing, on that Amoonguss you're wasting 4 EV's, the set should be using 184 Def / 72 SpD, not 182 / 74.

Also you might wanna try Terrakion over Keldeo, since your team looks pretty weak to Sun offense (you have 1 counter, and everything else just loses to CharY + redirection).
I forgot to check how much was needed to outspeed after mega-evo, thank you.

Gyarados isn't hugely common in any form in Doubles, but it does exist, especially Mega Gyarados. Right now, Genesect's Thunderbolt stands at a 12.5% chance to OHKO bulky Gyarados running 88 HP EVs and a 50% chance to OHKO uninvested Mega Gyarados. If you kick up the Special Attack EVs to 156 you get around an 81% chance to OHKO the former and an assured kill on the ladder. It's situational but it also comes with a higher output on other Water-types like Keldeo and, naturally, anything that tbolt hits neutrally. I don't think Iron Head is hitting anything substantially less, actually... what's it on the set for? Diancie? Because it still gets an assured kill with 100 HP EVs. I'm not really suggesting that you remove Iron Head, but if you DO want to have the tbolt coverage alongside reliable espeed priority, you can drop Iron Head because Thundurus isn't OHKOed by Diancie Diamond Storm and you have an opportunity to paralyze Mega Diancie the same turn it potentially gets off Diamond Storm, opening up an opportunity to KO Mega Diancie with Keldeo or Heatran. you'd have to play well, but it's an option.

Also, since you have Amoonguss to sponge a few hits for Mega Kang, I don't think Seismic Toss is necessary at all, and you can just keep Power-Up Punch for boosted hits. Alternatively, you can use Drain Punch to increase Mega Kang's longevity. It hits everything the other options do solidly but the bolstering of its health is invaluable. This is also a beautiful option if you are running Double-Edge over Return, as Kang will naturally lose a lot of health by virtue of Double-Edge's massive recoil potential.

Good team, man. :]

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
If you really don't care about passing anything faster than lando, you could run the standard physically biased gene spread, which creeps adamant lando with 96+ spe, 252 atk, and 160 spa. You can always ev to go faster, but 252 is definitely excessive.

Alternatively, you could run 252 spa and 160 atk on a more specially biased set.

Iron head is good on gene because it's powerful physical stab for fairies, kyube, terrak, diancie, and just hitting hard in general.

weak to trains trap if you know what I mean, didn't see this rmt until just now lol. Thanks for the shoutout man, would really like to have you back in the dubs room!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)