ORAS OU Mega Alakazam Bulky Offence: Peaked 1706

Hi everyone! I made this team a little while ago to try laddering one last time before Sun and Moon come out, and it turned out to be way better than I imagined. It's probably one of the best teams I've made, and by far the easiest to use. Thanks for reading!

The Team

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Seeing as there are so many physical walls and deterrents running around (Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Lando-T, etc.), I decided to use the most powerful special attacker OU has to offer: Mega Alakazam. This Pokemon's high speed and special attack make it a great answer to Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Latios (Latias eats up a +1 Shadow Ball), Slowbro, and, after a few Calm Minds, almost all Pokemon in OU not named Bisharp. Mega Alakazam is usually my wincon in most games, and has saved me so many times. Psyshock is the obvious STAB attack, Shadow Ball is for opposing Psychic types, and Focus Blast kills Dark types, if it hits.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Cobalion is a really good partner for Mega Alakazam, beating Weavile, Bisharp and T-tar, three of the biggest threats to Mega Alakazam. Also, because of the Shuca Berry, max Defense EVs, and HP Ice (which 2HKOs all Landos and Garchomps), it lures in both Scarf and Defensive Lando, Sand Rush Drill, Rocks and Scarf Garchomp, and even Mega Lopunny (though it takes a heavy hit from High Jump Kick). It takes minimal amounts of damage from nearly any Earthquake (Sand Rush Excadrill does 44% max with an Adamant Nature and Life Orb, and Close Combat OHKOs almost all of the time). Cobalion is an anti-meta Stealth Rocker and my lead of choice most of the time. It even provides momentum with Volt Switch, to pivot into my other attackers. This set is both unique and effective, and it's pretty funny to see sand spammers and Landos get destroyed so easily.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 128 HP / 148 Def / 124 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Three attack mixed defense Zapdos, while it looks bad on paper, is surprisingly effective against balance teams. This set is made to take on lots of fat Pokemon like Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Gliscor and Mega Scizor with its wide coverage, while providing Defog support. The Speeds EVs are to make sure that Zapdos outspeeds Jolly Base 70s like Breloom and Bisharp. Sometimes, the lack of Roost hurts, but more often than not, Zapdos can get the job done. The EVs are to ensure Zapdos lives Rock Slide from Excadrill (if Cobalion faints), and that it lives a Draco Meteor from Latios. Zapdos, along with Cobalion, forms the 'bulk' of my team, as they are able to face most threats together, also providing a Volt-Volt core and a much needed Ground immunity.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

While building, I realized I didn't have a fire resist, and that Heatran was a major problem for the first three Pokemon, so I decided to slap on a breaker in Volcanion. This thing is a monster, dealing heavy damage to all Pokemon barring Chansey (taken care of by Cobalion and the next two Pokemon) and bulky waters (somewhat taken care of by Zapdos and Alakazam). Volcanion's job is to weaken opponents for the other Pokemon to come in and clean late-game. Earth Power could be replaced for Sludge Wave, as everything that Earth Power hits, Steam Eruption shreds through. HP Grass is for Gastrodon and Starmie (which takes heavy damage from Steam Eruption anyway)

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

After deciding the first four Pokemon, I realized that besides a 0 Atk Cobalion, the team didn't have any physical presence whatsoever, and that my team was extremely weak to powerful electric types like Thundurus. Landorus was the obvious choice, as it provided good speed control and a Ground type, besides being the best Pokemon in OU (tied with Clefable). This is the standard Choice Scarf set, and is extremely useful in providing momentum with U-turn, as well as killing off birds (when Stone Edge doesn't miss, of course) and electric types.

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

By the time I finalized the set for Landorus, I already knew what my last Pokemon was going to be, as I didn't have either Dark or Ice type on the team, and I really needed a solid STAB answer for Dragon and Grass types besides uninvested HP Ices. Weavile has the best Stab combination in OU, and is both strong and fast. It rounds up the team nicely, and adds two much needed offensive types. Ice Shard, Knock Off, and Icicle Crash are powerful STAB moves, while Low Kick deals heavy damage to Heatran (It could be replaced for Poison Jab though, because I don't really have a solid answer to Fairy Types).

Threats

1. Mega Medicham- Besides pivoting into Zapdos, I don't really have a switch in for Medicham (no one except stall players do, really). Landorus takes 20% from Fake Out, while Alakazam takes 30%, and Medicham can just switch out again to repeat the process. Without switch support though, it's beaten by Alakazam easily.

2. Rotom-W- This Pokemon is quite irritating to deal with, but it can be played around (a little dangerously though). My advice is to switch into regular Zam on the Wisp and start to Calm Mind up, or to just HP Grass with Volc on the switch.

4. Clef- Clefable is arguably the best Pokemon in the tier, and is nearly impossible to kill, but since Clefs are more Defense oriented now (based on the World Cup sets), Volcanion and Zam can both deal heavy damage. If they are Sp. Def though, Weavile 2HKOs it with Icicle Crash, and Alakazam does heavy damage with Psyshock.

Conclusion

In my opinion, this team is really easy to use as the sets are mostly self explanatory and the backbone is strong. However, this team isn't just "click buttons and hope for the best". You'll have to play around the threats to this team and work our your own strategy to beat them. It's not extremely good, but it's
pretty solid and fun to play with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading!

P.S. Here's the importable:
http://pastebin.com/1G4cn6Lu

Hey Lowkey, nice team. Mega Zam is really cool and is a massive threat to the tier so it's good that it's getting some use. I'd like to suggest some changes to the team:

Firstly I think that calm mind on Zam isn't really worth it, you can only really set up when you force a switch. Instead I suggest running Substitute over Calm Mind. This gives you the chance to play around sucker punch on Bisharp, and Thunder Wave/other status. Secondly using Inner Focus on regular Zam can catch fake out lopunny/medicham off guard which is always fun.

Secondly I would change the Zapdos to more of a phys def build, and replace either hp ice or heatwave with roost. It give it more chance to survive and fulfil the role of pivot.

Thirdly, I'm choosing to ditch Cobalion as you're just too weak to Clef, and really Cobalion sucks in this tier. Instead Heatran running Stealth Rock, Taunt, Lava Plume and Toxic. This gives you a better check to Clef and just a more reliable Steel type. I use enough speed to outspeed Rotom, Lando T and Zapdos.

I also put on psychic and sludge bomb over psyshock and earth power on Zam and Volcanion respectively.

I really enjoyed using your team, hopefully you agree with the changes.

Sets:
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Heat wave
- Roost
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

Hey Lowkey, nice team. Mega Zam is really cool and is a massive threat to the tier so it's good that it's getting some use. I'd like to suggest some changes to the team:

Firstly I think that calm mind on Zam isn't really worth it, you can only really set up when you force a switch. Instead I suggest running Substitute over Calm Mind. This gives you the chance to play around sucker punch on Bisharp, and Thunder Wave/other status. Secondly using Inner Focus on regular Zam can catch fake out lopunny/medicham off guard which is always fun.

Secondly I would change the Zapdos to more of a phys def build, and replace either hp ice or heatwave with roost. It give it more chance to survive and fulfil the role of pivot.

Thirdly, I'm choosing to ditch Cobalion as you're just too weak to Clef, and really Cobalion sucks in this tier. Instead Heatran running Stealth Rock, Taunt, Lava Plume and Toxic. This gives you a better check to Clef and just a more reliable Steel type. I use enough speed to outspeed Rotom, Lando T and Zapdos.

I also put on psychic and sludge bomb over psyshock and earth power on Zam and Volcanion respectively.

Sets:
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
He Could also run with SpDef Jirachi with T-wave instead of heatran and change his landoT set to a physically defensive one with rocks, but if he were to do this Volcanion would have to be replaced with Rotom W pivot.

Magic Guard on regular alakazam is fine. Cobalion is a more solid answer than clef to trap cobalion. I would probably go for a set of flash cannon stealth rock thunder wave and hidden power ice or volt switch. This spread allows you to thunder wave clef then chip it. Calm Mind mega alakazam is fine because it stallbreaks to an extent. I would go pursuit > low kick on weavile to trap lati which is a huge threat to your team. Weavile can also chip chansey ( if that ever comes).

on the cobalion set actually run close combat flash cannon thunder wave and stealth rock

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Magic Guard on regular alakazam is fine. Cobalion is a more solid answer than clef to trap cobalion. I would probably go for a set of flash cannon stealth rock thunder wave and hidden power ice or volt switch. This spread allows you to thunder wave clef then chip it. Calm Mind mega alakazam is fine because it stallbreaks to an extent. I would go pursuit > low kick on weavile to trap lati which is a huge threat to your team. Weavile can also chip chansey ( if that ever comes).
Definitely agree, bluffing the Magic Guard is kinda hard because it takes rocks damage and then the opp should know it's Inner Focus

Not sure how phys def Cobalion can take on cm Clef, flash cannon only does 36.5 - 43.1%.
Inner focus/Magic Guard is complete personal preference, obviously it will only work if there aren't rocks, such as turn 1.

Sets:
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

Thanks so much for your feedback! :D
I've tried out the new team, and it works better than before, except that sand teams steamroller me pretty bad. I've been lucky so far with tracing Sand Rush and landing Focus Blast, but I don't know how much longer that'll work for me lol

I've changed it to pursuit and it's definitely helping a lot, thanks a lot :D

Honeybee I'm not really sure of substitute on mega alakazam. It is good to play against stall teams.

I have a lot to say for this team. First, I recommend the dropping of both Cobalion and Mega Alakazam. Instead, I suggest you to run LO regular Alakazam, because it hits just as hard and frees up your mega slot. Id suggest running the hp ice set, although the moves used are up to you. I also recommend the Cobalion to become a Lopunny-Mega because of its ability to handle the threats you are scared of better. You also should drop hp ice on zapdos, as it loves roost and you already have things to hit with that: (ice punch lop, Hp ice zam, weavile) and it really doesnt have much of a purpose. Now, I would recommend the same weavile set and a defensive rocky helmet landorus. Best of luck to this squad!

I have a lot to say for this team. First, I recommend the dropping of both Cobalion and Mega Alakazam. Instead, I suggest you to run LO regular Alakazam, because it hits just as hard and frees up your mega slot. Id suggest running the hp ice set, although the moves used are up to you. I also recommend the Cobalion to become a Lopunny-Mega because of its ability to handle the threats you are scared of better. You also should drop hp ice on zapdos, as it loves roost and you already have things to hit with that: (ice punch lop, Hp ice zam, weavile) and it really doesnt have much of a purpose. Now, I would recommend the same weavile set and a defensive rocky helmet landorus. Best of luck to this squad!
The whole point of his team is to use mega Alakazam why would he drop the very thing he wants to build around?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)