• It's great.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's good.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It's usable.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's bad.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Imma yeet you out the window if you don't change this team for the better.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Mice For Life!

Just a quick description. Hi my name is meisme123 and I am back with my third RMT! For a while I have been screwing around with different formats, (for example take my other two RMTs) like UU and Mono and Ubers ;) (I love Ubers) and RU and ZU and NU and 1v1 and I HAVE TRIED BASICALLY EVERYTHING! But not everything. And as you people have found out the hard way, I cannot build mono teams. That was my second RMT. It was so bad you people couldn't even rate it. But I have spent a while now, messing around in PU format, and I think I found my home :3. Using all of these under-rated pokes to make great teams is like a dream come true to me. Anyways, to the point. I love mice. I LOVE MICE! Yes you heard that right. So I decided to build a PU team around Raticate. Now those of you who have been on showdown for a while, will know that Raticate is only PU by technicality, and that no one ever uses him. He is a ZU pokes which is literally ZU.
So I took up this challenge. And with a little (a lot) of help from the community, which by the way were great helpers, I made this team. Please give it a rate, but remember that raticate ain't leaving.

Teambuilding process!

Unsurprisingly, I started off with Raticate. That is about all I can say about this. It can only run one usable set so yeah. I needed a fighting resist obviously, and the first viable one that came to mind was Mespirit.

Mespirit is a versatile fighting resist with a ground immunity that is SUPER viable and can double as a rock setter. That is pretty amazing so I went for that. After that I was like, I need another fighting resist that can put up a fight against dark and ghost! So I went with...

Shiinotic! I actually did. And then the entire chat was like, SHIINOTIC SUCKS!!!! YOU NEED SPIKE SUPPORT!!!! So I went with Qwilfish. And it was a great idea! It works great on this team and if I can get him in safe, sets up the entire match in my favor. After that I was like hmmmmmmm.

Even after playing PU for a while, I had still not tried Guzzlord. I figured it was about time, and I opted for a nice choice specs set. Then for some reason I felt like I needed more recovery but after using Recover Jellicent, the community reminded me I need a scarfer :facepalm: After a bit of arguing, and me trying to run electrode, we decided on...

SWANNA!!!! WTF IS THE SIZE OF THAT GIF!!! AHHH ITS TAKES UP THE WHOLE PAGE!!! Welp its ok. I went for scarf swanna for a defog and a revenge kill scarfer. To finish it off I needed an electric immunity and some more bulk because swanna and qwilfish will die to electric.

Yep I went with Mudsdale. Its a great poke with stamina and it has electric immunity. So there is my teambuilding. Now for the important stuff.

Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Stomping Tantrum
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

There is only one really *usable* set for Raticate. Its stats are not particularly great, so optimizing them with Guts and Flame Orb is about the best we can do.
Jolly is to maximize speed to make up for the lack of power, and the rest are just attacks to get the max flexibility and coverage. Sorry that this is not a very long description, but there is not really anything else to say.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Here is our primary fighting resist, so it was made as bulky as possible. Also made to lead with rocks. Colbur Berry is to keep him from getting okho'd by dark types like guzz and skunk so that he can get out alive to protect guzz and rat. The rest of the moves are fairly common. Psychic for a nice STAB, U-turn hurts other Mespirits as well as opposing dark types. Thunder Wave spam can cripple the opponent very quickly.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

This is a pretty standard Qwilfish set, with recovery and Intimidate. Made fast and bulky, to provide a solid fighting switch in if necessary. Sets up the rest of the hazards. This makes sweeping a little easier. Taunt shuts down other setters. Spikes and TSpikes are for setting, and Scald is a useful STAB.

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 196 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

I'm sorry people, but there is nothing else to say. THIS IS YOUR STANDARD GUZZ SET!!! NO CHANGES!!! NOTHING SPECIAL!!!!! Just a nice special wallbreaker for the team that can also be a bit of a sweep after koing something. Just as much coverage as possible and then specs to make damage happen.

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Defog

So I need a scarfer and a defogger. So I combined them into one. HERE IS THE ONE OF A KIND, AMAZING, SWANNA!!!! It is fast. I'm running scarf to make it my speed control. Hydration is for when I meet the occasional rain team. Sweeper Evs with maximizing spec atk and speed. Two STABs, Hurricane and Scald, and Ice Beam to provide more coverage, especially against flying and ground types. Defog is because I needed a fogger and it actually works pretty well on Swanna.

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

So I wanted a physical wall. So I got myself a physical wall. It is a very beautiful physical wall. It also doubles as an electric immunity that I can switch away swanna and qwilfish into. Lefties to make for some extra recovery and bulky EVs. I went for a Rest/Talk set because I wanted more stall and bulk ;). Earthquake for a main stab, Toxic helps KO stuff while stalling, and then Rest and Sleep Talk to be annoying and have some more recovery.

SO THERE IT IS!!! MY BEAUTIFUL TEAM!!! Please rate it at the poll in the top and give me a rate in the comments! Thanks!

Threats!
I tested it out many times, but I seem to forget the threats. Imma update this after I remember the threats. O I remember one. Lurantis does very bad things to this team.

SHOUTOUTS!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH TO THE PEOPLE AND STAFF IN THE PU ROOM!!! YALL ARE AMAZING!!! <3

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello meisme123,

I am glad you are enjoying the PU community, they really are a lot of nice people willing to help if you just ask for it, It is always wonderful to see new people come to discover that. I also am a fan of Raticate I built a pretty fun hyper offensive team in late ORAS PU which was very fun and ended being my favorite team from that generation, my Raticate set was Hustle but worked out about the same. It looks like the room did a pretty good job helping you as it looks like it tries to cover most of the metagame for you. It does, unfortunately, have a few glaring flaws. Stoutland and other Normal-types really look like they would give this team a ton of trouble as your best switch in is Mudsdale, which has trouble checking Stoutland due to Stoutland absurd initial power. I also see a very bad weakness to the Hail Core(Aurorus or Abomasnow paired with Alolan Sandslash) as you really do not have a solid check to them. I also do not think you are too weak to Lurantis as your Guzzlord should outpace and OHKO with Fire Blast it also is guaranteed to OHKO with Draco Meteor after just the tiniest bit of chip damage. Overall I would say not a bad team just that it has the glaring weakness to Alolan Sandslash.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Dazzling Gleam

Mesprit seems to be a really solid pick on your team, I would say if for anything it would be for its ability to reliably use Healing Wish. Healing Wish does so much for your team I am surprised the PU room didn't catch this. It gives Raticate another chance to clean after being used for wallbreaking as well as letting Qwilfish check Fighting-types more and lets Guzzlord break more, it is just a really solid option for this team. The reason I changed this to scarf is, that my other changes would conflict with keeping the defensive pivot set. Choice Scarf Mesprit is a fine option for your team regardless as it gives you a secondary way of dealing with offensive teams as Raticate does a decent job with that when running Sucker Punch, they also complement each other well offensively so a great Pokemon to have here overall.

Qwilfish @ Icium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt
- Haze

Toxic Spikes are not completely necessary here and Haze Qwilfish checks Gurdurr a lot better. You also had a free Z slot so this is a fine place to put it. I would suggest keeping this set if you keep the rest of my changes as with my changes it opens up a bit more of a Gurdurr weakness unless you keep this set. Mesprit can be a rocky check to it as Knock Off and Drain Punch really do wear it down more quickly then you can realize.

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 196 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Simple but benifital change here. Basiclly this hits Carbink for a lot more damage which is the fairy type you should really be trying to lure as it helps out your offensive core greatly. Carbink may not be super common but it is used, and you have ways of dealing with the other Fariy-types(Clefairy loses to Raticate, Mr. Mime gets hit by Dark Pulse, Mawile and Shiinotic get hit by Fire Blast).

--->

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

Hitmonchan gives you some decent role compression. It is a secondary check to Lilligant, gives you a hard check to Lycanroc and gives you some kind of hazard control as well as more prioraty. The big reason why this should go here is it gives you a solid way of handling hail core which would oblitarate you if you did not add a solid check to it. Gurdurr can do the same but checks Lilligant worse and does not have hazard control. I think Gurdurr could be solid here as well but Hitmonchan was more similar to Swanna while more or less achiving the same goal in a cosistant way. Gurdurr Set

--->

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Regirock fufills similar roles to Mudsdale but trades a bit more of an Electric-type weakness for a better way to Handle Normal-types as well as Flying-types. Guzzlord checks Electric-types pretty well, but you have to watch out for Focus Blast Alolan Raichu. Drain Punch has been seeing use on Regirock but I think you need to go Earthquake here as it helps with the Oricorio-Pom-Pom matchups which you are a little weak to. You could also tweak this Regirock with a Chople Berry which helps with Dodrio a bit more but that lets it get worn down more easily.

Team Changes

Raticate is a rat not a mouse :smogthink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)