Monotype Player of the Week #9: Wyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Acast

Hey everyone and welcome to the ninth installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week, I have a pretty well known player; Wyn! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Wyn

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
Okay so, I'm from India and I'm 18 years old. I graduated from school a couple of months ago and I'll be in college soon, as a CS major. Regarding hobbies and other stuff, I like to sing, listen to some music, hanging out with friends and I enjoy playing and watching football (soccer). I came to know about showdown from some youtube video, and I've been playing since late 2014. Besides monotype, I also like PU and OU although I've kind of stopped playing now.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
I don't have a specific one, I'd probably say Zorua, Tyranitar or Scizor. I really like their designs. Shiny Zorua just looks awesome.

How did you get your username?
Well, I wanted to get rid of my old username and there's this thing where you can get yourself a name unregged on ps if you have the same username on smogon and also own a badge. There wasn't any specific reason why I chose 'Wyn' and it doesn't really mean anything, just a cool way to say 'win' I guess. I thought of some other names before it but all of them were already taken on the forum.

How did you get into Monotype?
I was just trying out different tiers randomly when I was new to ps, I think I tried playing a bit of UU before moving to monotype. Mono got me interested because building teams for it was much easier. I remember I used to use some weird steel team with SD salac berry cobalion before I stole this one dark team Clearly used and made a few edits, which became my 'main' team. ''

What do you feel you're most known for?
Uhm, I don't really know. I guess they probably know me as that one generic dark user with scarf greninja and confide sableye :p or as a roomvoice and a decent player.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
Hmm, probably tyranitar, because it can do a lot of things and is such a good mon overall. No wonder why it has been OU since it was introduced.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
My fav types to use in mono would probably be Dark, Bug and ghost(before the bans of course :mad:). I don't have an overall favorite type.

What playstyle do you prefer?
Generally speaking, I prefer hyper offense because I like quick games :p. Although, in monotype, it doesn't really work well for a lot of types so I have to resort to the classic balanced cores.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
I feel pretty good to know that I'm one of the well known players in the community. I don't think I bring anything to the community as a roomauth though, it has been like that ever since I stepped down bc of school and stuff.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
I rarely used to use the chat when I was new, and because of my timezone I didn't know a lot of good players. Some of the ones I looked up to were Arifeen, rnbs and all falls down. I've played some really interesting and fun ladder games against Zarif, Arifeen, scp, afd and many others back in the days.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
I don't know about any new decent player, but yeah, there are some underrated players that prefer to hang out on the side sever, and I guess they're the ones to look out for.

What advice would you give to newer players?
Uhh, just keep playing and you'll become better with time. Try to do well in the room tours and/or on the ladder, and if you don't know what you're doing try the resources in the monotype subforum or just ask for help in the room. Also, its important that you're having fun :p

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?
Some pokemon with cool designs, interesting abilities and unique typings that aren't too broken to get banned of course.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
Shuckle @ Red Card
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Armaldo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Ancient Power
- Bug Buzz
- Tailwind

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 232 HP / 196 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I made this team long ago, when genesect got banned. Its built around tailwind yanmega + mega heracross. It does pretty well against most types, although I guess some sets can be changed. If I recall correctly, I was able to top the first week of the ladder tour last year with this team, but it might be a bit outdated.

Well that concludes this interview, feel free to ask your questions down below!

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
What typing do u want in Sun/Moon?

Whats ur favorite Sun/Moon pokemon that has beed revealed so far?

After the recent Mega Sableye ban, where do you feel Dark stands in terms of overall viability? Ghost?

How do you predict teams will be built w/o Mega Sab?

Who are some of these underrated players you've met on side servers?

What types do you think stand in the top tier in the current meta? Any underrated types?

What are some of your creative sets/gimmicks that you've used on your teams that you've particularly enjoyed or found to be successful. Which have been your favorites?

Wyn

woop
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If u could unban any mon/mega stone in mono what would it be and why
Sablenite, most probably. It doesn't seem outright broken for monotype like the other banned stuff and actually gave ghost some viability after the aegi ban.

What typing do u want in Sun/Moon?

Whats ur favorite Sun/Moon pokemon that has beed revealed so far?
I'd love a fast and offensive Dark/Fairy type mon.

I haven't been keeping up with the gen 7 reveals, but from the ones I've seen, I think I like Litten or Mimikyu the most.

After the recent Mega Sableye ban, where do you feel Dark stands in terms of overall viability? Ghost?

How do you predict teams will be built w/o Mega Sab?
I think Dark is still as good, even with the ban. Fighting is still beatable with regular sableye if you play well, and one can now run a different dark type mega, most of which are pretty decent. Its not the same with Ghost, though. Mega sab was ghost's wincon against a lot of types and ghost has indeed lost viability as a type to use on the ladder, which I guess is clear from the usage stats.

Most of the people would just replace it with the regular form I guess. Dark teams get to choose a more offensive mega, like sharpedo, dd ttar or houndoom. Ghost users would probably just resort to the their old xy teams- the ones without any mega evo, although I don't know how effective they would be, since aegislash too isn't usable now.

Who are some of these underrated players you've met on side servers?

What types do you think stand in the top tier in the current meta? Any underrated types?
I just meant in general, like, there are some decent players that aren't well known mostly because they prefer the side server. Some users from the arbiter league or the empire, I guess.

Flying, Psychic and Water are definitely top tier :p
Poison is pretty underrated. It doesn't get as much usage on the ladder but is capable of beating the top tier types. Rock and Electric too, if used well, aren't that bad.

SoA > WoA
wh

What are some of your creative sets/gimmicks that you've used on your teams that you've particularly enjoyed or found to be successful. Which have been your favorites?
Some of my favorite creative sets/gimmicks in monotype probably are confide sableye, scarf greninja, tailwind yanmega+mega heracross, sub cm chandelure on ghost, and sub disable quiver dance venomoth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)