SM OU Natural

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
============================

click for importable
Introduction
Hey guys, Egor here with my 5th RMT! I'm gonna share with you one of my favorite teams which features Stealth Rock+3 Attacks Kommo-o which, in my opinion, is amazing set because it's able to beat other common hazard setters like Heatran and Ferrothorn, provides some nice defensive utility, and can pressure Defoggers with the threat of Clangorous Soulblaze's boosts. This team possesses fairly strong offensive part while still having decent & not very passive defensive backbone. I really enjoy such team structure. Now, without further ado, I present you my squad!

Teambuilding Process

I started to build my team from Kommo-o. It's a great Stealth Rock setter thanks to its coverage, bulk, typing, and Clangorous Soulblaze which lets it act as a sweeper or punch a hole for a teammate. When building, I decided that the team'll be centered around Kommo-o's sweep, and my teammates will help it perform its task.

We all know that Kommo-o hates Psychic- and Fairy-types like Tapu Lele and M-Alakazam, and any team still need some check to them. My choice is Ferrothorn which not only pivots on aforementioned types but also sets Spikes, helping wear down Kommo-o's answers like AV Magearna and Tapu Fini, and checks Ash-Greninja, another threat which should be covered in any team, quite well.

While Kommo-o's bulk & typing allow it to somewhat switch on Heatran, it's still very inconsistent check because it easily gets worn down, so I need another, more sturdy Heatran check. Rotom-W is excellent mon for this role on BO builds. It completes my defensive backbone alongside Ferrothorn, lets me generate & maintain momentum with Volt Switch, and provides my team with Defog support.

Ok, my defensive backbone is finished, so now I need to fill my team with offensive mons to put as much pressure on opposing team as possible. My next mon is M-Mawile because it makes my stall matchup easier, threatens Kommo-o's answers like Tapu Fini and Toxapex, and gives my team a revenge killing way in Sucker Punch. M-Mawile also appreciates Ferrothorn's Spikes wearing down Dark resists so M-Mawile can even clean up late-game with Sucker Punch.

I need a Ground-type to prevent mindless Volt Switch spam from being a big problem. Landorus-T is the first mon I thought about, and it fits my team fairly well. It provides my team with speed control, acts as a revenge killer, and creates a VoltTurn core with Rotom-W.

Ok, final mon. I wanted something that can pressure the likes of Tapu Fini and Toxapex while being pretty fast so I won't rely only on Landorus-T to outpace and revenge kill stuff. Greninja is perfect for these tasks. I gave it coverage to beat aforementioned Kommo-o's answers and even to run through weakened slower teams. Greninja enjoys Ferrothorn's Spikes too.

In-depth Look
@

Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Stealth Rock

Pretty standard Stealth Rock+3 Attacks Kommo-o. Clanging Scales is reliable and spammable Dragon-type STAB move which is necessary for Clangorous Soulblaze. Close Combat is the best Kommo-o's Fighting-type STAB option, boasting great power and perfect accuracy. Poison Jab is a nice coverage move for Fairy-types like Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele. Stealth Rock is great on Kommo-o because of its ability to beat many common hazard setters and to punish Defoggers with the threat of Clangorous Soulblaze. Kommonium Z is obligatory for using Clangorous Soulblaze, thus boosting all stats and potentially sweeping the opposing team. Hasty > Naive is to pivot on special attackers like Heatran and Ash-Greninja a bit more comfortably.

@

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Pretty standard Ferrothorn. Spikes punishes switches and wears down opposing team. Leech Seed lets Ferrothorn keep healthy itself and its teammates. Power Whip makes Ferrothorn more threatening to Rain teams and generally to Water-types. Knock Off provides useful utility in removing items such as Leftovers and Assault Vest. Leftovers helps Ferrothorn be healthy, and in tandem with full SpD investment lets it pivot on special attackers like Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko.

@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Nature: Calm
IVs:
0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Pretty standard Rotom-W but with more specially defensive spread which lets it switch on the likes of Heatran more freely and survive two pre-Ash Greninja's Dark Pulses, and Wiki Berry gives Rotom-W a second chance if it got flinched. Hydro Pump is necessary to threaten Heatran and others. Volt Switch lets Rotom-W generate momentum and give its teammates more free switches. Will-O-Wisp is nice to punish physical attackers. Defog allows Rotom-W to clean my field from hazards. 30 Spe IVs ensure that my Rotom-W will be slower than opposing one almost always, giving me a slower Volt Switch and momentum.

@

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 180 HP / 164 Atk / 164 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Pretty standard M-Mawile with more bulkier spread which survives a +1 High Jump Kick from Hawlucha. Swords Dance combined with Huge Power is what makes M-Mawile so threatening to stall. Play Rough is the main M-Mawile's move. Sucker Punch compensates M-Mawile's poor Speed and lets it revenge kill stuff. Thunder Punch hurts the likes of Toxapex and Tapu Fini, some of Kommo-o's answers, a lot even without setting up. Intimidate improves M-Mawile's defensive utility.

@

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 136 Atk / 84 Def / 208 Spe
Nature: Naive
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Fire
- U-turn

Pretty standard Scarf Landorus-T. EdgeQuake coverage is nice and hits many common mons like Heatran and Tornadus-T for super effective damage. Hidden Power Fire is an interesting tech that lets me not to autolose vs any team featuring Kartana. This move also helps me vs M-Scizor. U-turn enables Landorus-T to grab momentum and give some free switches to its teammates. The EV spread allows Landorus-T to survive two Leaf Blades from -1 Kartana and outpace boosted Kommo-o. Naive nature is preferred to not lower Hidden Power Fire's damage output vs M-Scizor.

@

Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power Fire

Mixed Greninja. Hydro Pump is for general damage output. Gunk Shot targets Fairy-types which are capable of stopping Kommo-o. Extrasensory's main target is Toxapex, which also can prevent Kommo-o's sweep. Hidden Power Fire means that Ferrothorn isn't untouchable for my Greninja. It also helps my team vs AV Magearna, non-Choice Scarf Kartana, and M-Scizor. Expert Belt is optimal item choice because it boosts Greninja's damage output vs key targets without any drawbacks. Hasty is better than Naive because it lets Greninja take hits from the likes of Heatran and Ash-greninja a bit more easily.

Threatlist
: packing these four together because they threaten my team very similar ways - I just can't switch on them. To outplay these mons, I should grab momentum in my hands from the very start and create immense offensive pressure to prevent free switches for them.
: not much to explain, my team just autoloses to this bug.
: while I have some ways to revenge kill it, if I lose them or severely weaken, then Kartana just runs through my team.
Offensive
: very difficult to stop once it sets up with Shift Gear. I need to bait out its Z-Move so Landorus-T will have a bit less problems revenge killing it.
: once it sets up both Calm Mind and Acid Armor, I can freely click x. In order to win, I should offensively pressure Reuniclus's team a lot from the beginning of a battle.

Conclusion
Overall, this team is pretty fast-paced and fun to use! I love this kind of teams the most. Sure, the team has some really notable weaknesses, but nothing is unwinnable (except for Volcarona maybe). I hope you guys like this team, and I appreciate any kind of feedback to it! Have a good day!:toast:

Last edited:

Kurai Hada Ichi

Banned deucer.
Hey there! nice team, i really like the combo of mons you have here and the offensive rocker approach and the only suggestion i have for you is to throw on thunder on rotom since that helps with para'ing the threats like hera and gallade if they try and setup since you eat a hit from them at neutral and twave is nice in general for non physical threats like zam and mage who dont care about burns. alternatively you can use thunder wave Ferro over knock to basically kill volcarona, medi and zard on the switch. The threats you mentioned are revenge killed quite easily as your team is well rounded. the only scary matchup im really seeing is aggron stall and i see almost no realistic way to beat it short of stacking hazards and applying enough pressure to prevent aggron from healing in which case if hippo is on the stall it becomes doubly as hard since it can also take a few hits from mawile. other than the above its a solid team. well done.

Last edited:
Imho Rocks are essential to every Mawile team, since this residual damage is what helps +2 Maw to sweep. With Mawile I always preferred hazard stack approach, because if you manage to weaken the threats winning is just a matter of bringing out Maw at the right time.

For this reason, even though I really like Kommo-o here, I don't think it's the best Rocker for this team. I'd prefer to have something that can set them up multiple times, as seeing Mega Maw people dedicate much effort to Defog hazards. Another thing is Kommo-o is often not the best lead due to many threats it has. You also mention Volc as a biggest threat, yet if you manage to have Rocks up vs Volc teams, it will take 50% on a switch-in, at which point Maw can kill it.

Just a noncommittal ideas:
1) Make Lando more defensive and put Rocks on him and then Gren can be a Scarfer
2) Put Rocks on Thorn instead something (you can even move Spikes to Gren in such case and keep utility moves).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)