New to IV Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is the right place to post this....

but I've been playing Pokemon since gen1, so I have a good amount of knowledge on the game. Though I never played competitively until now. Well... starting on my team now and getting Wifi at home soon. All I currently have is a Blastoise with my desired nature and EV trained. Crap for IVs though.

I'm working on getting a Talonflame. Gale Wing ability, Adamant nature, 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe EV spread. yadda yadda....

I'm having difficulty fully understanding IV breeding. The only Ditto I have is one I caught in-game, which only has a high Attack IV. I put a Destiny knot on it, and I'm having it breed with a Fletchling with I think good Special Attack and Special Defense IVs. Out of the 20 eggs I hatched, not a single has more than two good IVs.

I was also wondering the order of things I should do. Breed for desired nature first?

Destiny knot passes down 5 random IVs from the 12 IVs of the parents. Therefore, the more IVs the parents have, the more likely you'll be to get good IVs on the children. If you have access to a large friend safari, that is always a good place to start as all friend safari mons have at least 2 IVs of 31. If you absolutely have to start at 1 or 2 31 IVs on the parents, then it is better to use a corresponding power item (power belt, power anklet, etc.) to guarantee that that IV gets passed down, and hope that another IV gets 31 out of luck as well. After you've obtained 2-3 IVs of 31s that you will use as parents, throw destiny knot on one and everstone on the other for the nature of your choice.

Okay so if I want a Talonflame with HP, Attack, and Speed, I can start off with a Pokemon with at least one of those. My Ditto has Attack. Let's say that the Fletchling has HP. I want to add Speed. So I find which item to make Fletchling hold the item to give it Speed? People are so confusing when they explain things >_>

This isn't the right place for your thread, but if you send me a PM I'll give you a great IV'd male Pidgey to kickstart your breeding foray.

Okay so if I want a Talonflame with HP, Attack, and Speed, I can start off with a Pokemon with at least one of those. My Ditto has Attack. Let's say that the Fletchling has HP. I want to add Speed. So I find which item to make Fletchling hold the item to give it Speed? People are so confusing when they explain things >_>
If the Ditto and Talonflame don't have a 31 speed IV then you can't pass down a 31 speed IV to the child, there's no Parent to bring down a 31 Speed IV from as they only have HP and Atk and this isn't the correct place to ask. Not trying to be rude, just showing where it's easiest and best to get the help and advice you want.

Try this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/breeding-perfect-pokemon-in-pokemon-x-y.3490432/

and this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-item-requests-sv-checks-etc-go-here.3493228/

No, the power items pass down the corresponding stat's IV value of the pokemon holding it. It's not a guaranteed 31.

Also, it's not my fault you can't understand it or google it. I tried to help, don't act like I'm to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)