ORAS Doubles OU Newbs First Doubles Team

Hey, all.
I've always played pokemon ever since Blue came out and I've owned every single pokemon game, however I never got into the competitive part until recently. I'd been shiny hunting for several months and decided to give my shiny pokemon a shot to truly "shine". So I did some research, watched 2016 VGC's and came up with my first doubles team.
Being new at the forums, I'd really appreciate any help on making better posts or just plain getting better at team building.

I began building this team around a sunny day, Solar Power, Modest Charizard. This is a 2 part surprise show for the opponent, first of all by not mega Evolving my Charizard on the first turn, and secondly when they get a hit from Solar Power, Life Orb boosted STAB Heat Wave with harsh sunlight from my Zard.
When everything goes as planned, I can at least OHKO one of the 2 opponent pokemon. When this fails, I still have my backup Kanghaskhan and Terrakion/Land-T to finish off whatever's standing.
So far I've played 72 games, reaching a Battle Spot Rating of 1680 (Peak score) with 28 wins and 23 losses, which I, personally, think it's not too shabby for a newb, however I keep hitting against some common issues: Trick room, Heatran and Ghost leads.
Anyway, allow me to go further into the analysis by presenting the team:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Sunny Day
- Tailwind
- Encore​

My Sunny Day lead. Part of the core team, the idea behind Whimsicott is to lead the team with Tailwind + Sunny Day combo, if it manages to survive whatever comes next, it can do some nasty Encores, completely shutting down threats for Zard or any of the other team members. Max investment in Speed makes sure she'll outspeed any other pranksters, while full HP investment make sure she'll survive 2 neutral hits on turn one. I've had to use Dazzling Gleam a couple of times against dragons (Particularly Hydreigon) or fighting mons, but it's mostly in there to avoid becoming taunt bait.
So far Whimsicott does as promised, she usually survives long enough to get the combo up, I've thought about removing Dazzling Gleam for another support move, but I'm not totally sure.​

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

The "WTF that Zard hits hard" lead. Zard usually leads alongside Whimsicott and throws a protect on turn one. This gives Tailwind time enough to settle, making zard always go first the next turn whilst receiving the boost from Solar Power the moment Whimsicott uses Sunny Day. And believe me, this thing hits HARD. Pokemon that resist it usually end up with 50% or less HP after a Heat Wave, and most neutral hits usually OHKO. The best part is, Solar Power benefits all of zards moves, making Focus Blast and Solar Beam that much better.
The real issue with my lead combo is, as some of you have already guessed by now, if my zard doesn't OHKO a threat, it probably means my zard will be dead by the end of that turn. If an opponent doesn't know it out, the recoil from Life Orb and Solar power usually do the trick. I've found myself filled with joy to see my zard survive blows only to get it killed by Solar Power. This is basically a Kamikaze lizard, and while it is lots of fun to use, it can be very stressful to lose a match where Focus Blast didn't land on that Heatran or because Solar Power knocked zard out.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return

Everyone's using it, amirite? Seriously though, I never expected Mega Kang to grow on me, I tend to stay away from popular mons, and I was so reluctant to use it at first, but after I witnessed Returns raw power on Mega Kang, I fell in love.
After my zard has fallen (hopefully after it's been able to at least use Heat Wave once), Mega Kang shows up to clean the act. Those that survive my zards blows are usually out with Fake Out, or whenever I see the chance to get away with a Power up Punch I go with it.
If any threat remains, Return is usually the way to go. The main problem so far has been Ghost Type pokemon, I've lost to so many Gengars that it's not even funny.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Tangrowth is my back up lead. If I determine my main combo is insufficient during team preview, I usually pair Tangrowth with Terrakion or Mega Kang as leads. Terrakion works great with Tangrowth as it allows for a safe Knock Off while Terrakion protects, scouting my opponents moves. On the next turn, catching them completely off guard, comes Rage Powder + Swords Dance on Terrakion.
Tangrowth is also a pretty awesome way to counter water type pokemon, which I've had so much trouble leading with in the past. Giga Drain not only hits them surprisingly hard, but it helps Tangrowth stay longer on the game. Protect is there to stall conditions from the other team, or when they wanna go for the killing blow, giving me some chance to take out a threat with Terrakion or Land-T.
Rocky Helmet allows Tangrowth to have a lot more offensive pressure against physical attackers.
This strat fails terribly when up against Sylveon or Mega Gardevoir (Or any wide attacks for that matter).

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Land-T does a great job against physical teams, Intimidate + U-Turn allows me to do some damage while applying Intimidate on the opponent team, usually switching into Whimsicott or Tangrowth.
Earthquake is usually my main attack whenever Land-T comes in, but only after I've made sure there are no other Levitate or Flying pokemon on the other side.
I've lost a couple of games in the past where I've got Earthquake locked against a Levitate Gengar.
Choice Scarf makes sure nothing will outspeed my Land-T while under Tailwind, however I've had my doubts...am I overspeeding my Land-T? Maybe some other item could work better?

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Sacred Sword
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Terrakion works surprisingly well at being an early or mid game sweeper. Tailwind + Speed investment make Terrakion unstoppable, and Lum Berry gives me a free turn from a Will o Wisp from the opposing team. Terrakion is usually my answer to Heatran, since I've lost to couple of Heatrans that held a berry that lowered my Land-T's Earthquake, hence I always answer with Sacred Sword.
Terrakion is also surprisingly bulky, which ensures he'll survive most neutral hits and some very effective ones, however Fairy types the likes of Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon tend to easily OHKO Terrakion with ease.
Anyway, that's my team, as you can see, there are several areas where I can get a lot better. I've been reluctant on changing my Whimsicott + Charizard combo and maybe take them out all together. I've tried taking Terrakion out for some Special Sweepers, but it didn't go too well. Tangrowth + any other mon work really great, it allows my Land-T to intimidate, do some damage and send Mega Kang or Terrakion out without receiving any damage, so I've been trying to come up with a better strat using redirection and setup maybe.
But I digress, any C&C will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Hello, Amaakir, and welcome to the Doubles OU meta-game! JK. You got mixed up with Smogon's Doubles OU metagame and GameFreak's Battle Spot Doubles, but I'll give recommendations for both of them just in case you're interested. Well, it seems like you already got a good understanding of its mechanics and its viable mons. I will try to maintain the ideal/framework behind your team, but definitely suggest what you can to do to make it better. Without further ado~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

FOR DOUBLES OU, NOT BATTLE SPOT DOUBLES

I really suggest that you try out Mega Charizard Y since its ability, Drought, automatically sets up Sunny Day; your Whimsicott does not have to waste a turn for Charizard. Other little changes that I made to your Charizard is giving it the move HP Ground rather than Focus Miss; a chance to OHKO Heatran is better than a missed attack. Also, the given EV spread allows Charizard to survive Mega Kangaskhan's Return and outspeed the Speed Tier of 70. (You can look at the importable for the EV sets.)

And since you wanted to maintain your "Charizard + Whimsicott core", I thought that you might as well use Terra-cott, arguably one of the best gimmicks (that works). The strategy behind Terra-cott is simple: have Whimsicott use Beat Up on Terrakion, thus increasing Terrakion's Attack to its maximum. This is possible thanks to Terrakion's ability, Justified, but such common strategies won't work on experienced players. This is why I put Quick Guard on Terrakion; it prevents Fake Out (unless it's from a faster mon) and Prankster - boosted Taunt from putting Whimsicott out of commission. Also, it's better to use Close Combat instead of Sacred Sword. For the matter of Whimsicott, its Tailwind or Taunt (for Trick Room) is something to consider in case that Speed is not on your favor. Taunt is also useful in case of common Wide Guard users, too; they will try to stop Terrakion from spamming Rock Slide.

Of course, that means that you won't be able to use Mega Kangaskhan, which is totally alright. Instead, you can replace Mega Kangaskhan with Aegislash. The reason why I selected this mon is because you really need a mon that can switch into potential Rock type moves (Charizard's weakness) and Fairy type moves (Terrakion's Weakness). Your team would also appreciate Aegislash's Wide Guard support, allowing Charizard to stay into Rock Slide / Diamond Storm and Terrakion to stay into Hyper Voice. Also, the given EV set allows Aegislash to outspeed Mega Diancie under Tailwind, an immense threat to your team.

For the matter of Tangela, which is outclassed by Amoonguss and Venusaur (in this case), I suggest that you remove it completely. Doubles OU is not too kind to Grass types, especially with Talonflame or Heat Waves being a staple amongst good teams. Still, your team is ill-prepared against a well-prepared Rain teams, especially ones that has Thundurus to counter Sunny Day. (Thundurus can use Rain Dance.) What you can do is use Zapdos, another reliable Tailwind user. By doing this, you can eliminate Politoed (and sensibly other Water types that aren't neutral to Electric type moves) and give your other mons a chance to outspeed Rain. (HP Ice is used to eliminate Landorus-T.) It's also worth mentioning that any attackers that makes contacts with it has a chance to get paralyzed as well as get punished through Rocky Helmet.

The team already has coverage for what Landorus-T would usually check, so you may find it redundant to use. I would replace it with Kyurem-Black, but I won't suggest it because it's banned in Battle Spot Doubles. Instead, it would be best to use Latios to check other Dragon types (Ex. Kingdra through Tailwind support) and Fighting types (Ex. Terrakion & Conkeldurr) that check Mega Charizard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTUALLY FOR BATTLE SPOT DOUBLES
(Before reading this portion, you should read the section above to fully understand what's going on.)

In Battle Spot Doubles, all mons become Level 50, so some of their EV sets must change as well. The changed EV sets still serve the same purposes as stated above, but excluding the concerns of mons that are banned in Battle Spot Doubles (Ex. Mega Diancie).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the end, I maintained half of your original team, although making slight changes to them. And despite Mega Kangaskhan was replaced for obvious reasons, the remainder were also replaced in order to counter any remaining threats to the team, including ones that you had mentioned. I've left importables below, so that you can test it out. HF!

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power Ground
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 196 HP / 96 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Beat Up
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 100
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Beat Up
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 52 SpA / 148 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Last edited:
Hi, Test Bot#!

Thank you so much for your reply, I've been testing this out on PS! and it's on a winning streak! It works wonders!
I'm definitely trying it out on real Battlespot Doubles, that Whimsicott Taunt is really working great, although I kind of miss having Encore, it was just too funny watching the opponent getting stuck on a move.
I'll try this and let you know how it goes, thanks so much for your advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)