np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 5 - Run The Jewels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm lost in the sea of all these posts. Since when did being unable to switch Pokemon become uncompetitive? Everyone is forgetting that the Gothitelle user, doesn't just throw Goth in without any consequences. There have been many times where my opponent predicted my Gothitelle switch in and punished me really badly for it. Shadow Tag from both views can be seen as uncompetitive or skillfull.

Uncompetitive - In the sense that you are unable to switch a pokemon out, thus you are required to stay in the game and removes possible counterplay and freedom.

Skillfull - In the sense, the user is able counterplay the opponent and trap a pokemon that would otherwise be very difficult to wear out due to the opponent being able to switch out to a better defensive option.

Some examples..

1. Beedrill vs Gardevoir, beedrill would win with a poison jab ohko, but your opponent has a skarmory and majority of your team doesn't do enough to threaten skarmory and Beedrill cannot perform his job at beating gardevoir. Gothitelle's STag skillfull use comes into play if the beedrill player double switches into gothitelle predicting the skarmory. This was a SKILLFULL PLAY, by the beedrill user. He risked gardevoir staying in possibly ohkoing or seriously injuring gothitelle in order to trap skarm and was successful. Gothitelle now prevents skarm from switching out, so you can use goth and cripple skarmory, allowing the remainder of your team to have an easier time handling a pokemon that otherwise would have given you serious trouble.

2. Zapdos vs Gyarados and there is SR on zapdos side of the field, you have Zapdos+Goth vs Gyarados+Hippowdon. Hippowdon walls Zapdos, so the gyarados would naturally switch out to Hippowdon and just keep spamming Stealth rock without worry of being damaged. The SKILLFUL use of Gothitelle and STag would be to risk double switching Zapdos and sending out your Gothitelle on a predicted Hippowdon switch. Now Gothitelle can cripple Hippowdon and relieve the stress it had to get SR off the field. Hippowdon being stuck now has 2 options, Earthquake and try and take our Gothitelle, or Stealth rock and allow Stag to setup. Before the later reset with all my games played, about 7/10 of my opponents went for stealth rock and got themselves set up on and lost. The remaining 3/10 Earthquaked my gothitelle and because Gothitelle doesnt have amazing bulk, it took alot of damage and was unable to particpate in the remainder of the game because bringing in Gothitelle is not easy.

Most people hating on STag havnt really used it outside of Stall or some form of gimmic teams. I can't blame most people for wanting STag gone, but because our META is soo garbage and gamefreak hasn't given us enough variety in 'Good' pokemon we are made to run the same redundant pokemon in order to be competitive. Using uncommon pokemon in this meta means a player has to plan for pokemon that will cause really hard times and often times trying to get good coverage and answers for your team leaves you building the same damn cookie cutter teams that you see every 1 in 4 games.

Most comments about STag being uncompetitive seem to stem from a Stall players perspective and doesn't really reflect every other use for Shadow Tag.

Too busy IRL to get reqs, but just want to enlighten voters that there are other ways of thinking about STag.

Magnet Pull and Arena Trap do similar things, the only difference is that more pokemon are affected by STag, but that doesn't change the general idea that is being pushed out that being unable to switch pokemon at will is 'Uncompetitive'. Just like how Magnet Pull was countered by steels running Shed Shell, pokemon you don't want getting trapped, can run Shed Bell. If your next complaint is that STag prevents you from running specific items, then your out of luck. That's the way life goes. I'd love to run CB/LO hoopa all the time but I'm often facing faster yet frailer mons that require me to run Scarf. You just got to adapt to the meta and start innovating.

Hopefully this helps a little, as I'm not seeing anyone else defending STag because majority of people don't use it enough within teambuilding /play to really understand the in's and out's and benefits and the skill and thought process required to use STag.

Mega Sableye, I leave in everyone elses hands, I could care less, I'm forced to run manaphy because of how the meta is, so stall doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Note: Beedrill, Hippowdon, Gothitelle, Zapdos, Manaphy, Scizor (Hopefully to be replaced by Genesect, if he ever comes back) is the Team I use often and referred to in my 2 examples.

How is this skillful? At higher level play this is literally 100% a 50/50 with a MASSIVE risk/reward payoff for the Gothitelle user. If they get the 50 50 right, there goes a wall. No choice of switching. Literally zero use of skill. How is that supposed to be fair, fun or the optimal meta? The reason Magnet Pull and Arena Trap are different is that they aren't a catch-all. Gothitelle traps kills or cripples:

Breloom, Celebi, Chansey, Clefable, LO Conk, Ferrothorn, Chomp, bulky Excadrill, Gliscor, Heatran, Hippowdon, Hoopa, Keldeo, Klefki, Manaphy, Mew, Rotom, Serp, Skarm, Slowbro, bulky Starmie, bulky Sylveon, bulky Talonflame, NP Thundurus, Venusaur, Mega Hera, Terak, Volc, and a shitton more.

I mean, you pretty much admit in your post that the only reason you want it is that it's cos you already just use a Goth team.

Last edited:
I like fairies. Anyway my slogan aside I failed to get reqs despite a 2-1 win ratio in my favour accross 4 alts but I figured at the very least I've played enough to have to have my say on the matter

Mega Sableye: I ask if a pokemon with such a significant impact on the game can have so few checks that they can all be trapped doesn't that make Mega sableye the broken party? Everything that supposedly wins vs sableye either relies on lum berry 50/50s or are traped by goth. Remember Dugtrio vs genesect, Magnezone vs Pinser (it nearly got tested) or even previous gens Magnezone Vs Salamance. In each of those case's the broken party was the latter mon. Not the trapper and while Shadow Tag is an admittance step above these! it does not excuse Sableye and I really wish people would stop trying to blame all of its ill's on Goth. Remember its smogons job to create a balanced meta not keep stall alive

Since it became legal Mega Sab has been a centralising force restricting hazard play in favour of the user, killing off most taunt based stallbreakers which nobody can deny since most did disappear with the coming of ORAS and making the meta ironically more offensive as players seek to overpower it instead of beating stall with more traditional methods. It has an impact on the game even when not in play since players constantly fear the 50/50 it may switch in to bounce something back a trait few other pokemon can brag about Even Other S ranks since there only threats once they get in while sableye is always at the back waiting. it's this that gives not only hazard control but also status control to the Sab user.

Many have cited the pokemon that supposedly beat Sableye but when the team game taken into account your pretty much just left with fairies, a few fires and manaphy targets that are ironically easy targets for gothitelle to trap. Everything else basically relies on 50/50 mindgames that can completely backfire and while it has not reached Aegisslash or greninja levels of absurdity its Sabs suspect is well and truly warranted.

Shadow Tag: While I disagree with the notion that its broken if its going to be Ubered it should be on shadow tags ability vs's other trapping abilities, not on weather it can save Sableye or not which is how I've read some arguements here. I always view things from an enabler vs abuser aspect. Goth Eliminates the fairies, Fires and manaphy which Sableye hate's pretty much leaving you with DD amamant outrage Zard X or Shed shell users if you want to beat the team. Pretty big support but Its Sableye that wins the hazard game, Restricts the meta such goth can trap those and overall does the damage thats lets the Sab user won. No matter how you spin it Sableye is the broken abuser.

Shadow tag vs other trappers there is definitely an argument. By there nature can trap most of the game and for a long time I've advocated goth and I even made a thread for her. She can Pretty much be tailored to trap whatever you damn well please and by there nature most S-tag users are guaranteed a kill whislt others are very specific in what they trap. It is this aspect that arguebly makes them broken and why shadow tag is uncompetitive. How many other pokemon can say they are by there nature guaranteed a kill per game?

Overall both are broken and While I would love goth to stay because I hate regonorater mons. For the immediate short term health of the game she should go and mega sableye to. If I could get reqs I would BAN BOTH

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok, well hax has prevented me to get reqs once again (was so frickin close), and I don't feel like restarting again, I will leave my opinion for voters who are still undecided.

Although Goth is obviously the main issue, the sheer advantage S-Tag can bring to any team be picking and eliminating certain threats is unmatched (besides Arena Trap and Magnet Pull). It allows the abuser to always maintain momentum within a match as the opp will always have to guess when the S-Tag mon is going to come in. Been playing with Tickle Wobb + Pursuit Weavile, which allows me to take out any weakened mon with ease. Not going to say much on Goth cause she is aids, and deserves to burn in hell. Ban Shadow Tag, so we can have a more competitive meta.

Mega Sableye is a more difficult case where I can't really see it being undoubtedly banworthy like other suspects in the past. The main issue it bring is that it is very difficult to teambuild when you need to rely on a specific mon like SR Clefable or Heatran in order if you want hazards. In a sense it does limit teambuilding due to it's claimed overbearing presence it has on the meta. The thing is when I was laddering, I found it to be extremely matchup reliant, with things like MediSharp and Mega Lopp spikes HO being cheesed everywhere. This gave me a deja-vu back to BW2 OU when Sand Spikes Reuniclus teams were dominant and very difficult to take down thanks to the offensive pressure hazards bring to the game. When ORAS was released, it felt like as godsend to me as a more defensive orientated Magic Bounce user was brought to the meta, and I found that I did not have to worry about hazards + offensive pressure that much (due to my preferred styles being balanced and BO). I know people claim that there are other ways to remove hazards such as Defog and Rapid Spin, but they all take a turn to execute, meaning the other team gains huge offensive momentum and can apply more pressure towards your team (maybe even KO'ing your hazard remover). I can understand the constraint Sab brings to Stall and Balanced teams, but the new meta that develops without Mega Sab is honestly disgusting imo, reminiscent to BW2 OU (although to a lesser extent thanks to Defog). With all this in mind, I personally believe Mega Sab adds a positive influence to the metagame, dealing with one of the most deadliest components of the meta and should not be banned. S-Tag is the only real problem I see in ORAS OU currently.

Personal opinion to please don't hate :(

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Finished getting reqs and seeing as I spent a good amount of time on the suspect ladder I'll leave my thoughts on Mega Sableye here now. My thoughts on Shadow Tag are well documented lol it's a dumb ability let's get rid of it already.

So one of the main things with Sableye that myself and probably others were looking at is whether it's overcentralizing or unhealthy for the metagame. I don't think it's outright broken.

I guess I'll start with overcentralizing - first off we don't really have a definition for when a centralizing threat becomes overcentralizing. There's no real scale here so it becomes pretty subjective. That said Mega Sableye has an impact on the metagame unlike any other threat in ORAS OU. Not only is it the single best mon to win the hazard game, it's also a fantastic stallbreaker which disrupts many balance and stall teams. While it's true that there are many things that can threaten it out, this doesn't mean they stop it from doing its job which is shutting down other threats on the team such as Ferrothorn and so on. I don't think it's a far cry to say that it offers more support than just about anything and is the best utility pokemon in the tier. With a great typing it's also able to wall many difficult to wall threats such as Gengar. All these attributes add up to make it quite a centralizing pokemon, but is it overcentralizing? Well back to my original point, this is basically subjective. If it were outright broken I'm sure we would be seeing more of Stealth Rock Diancie and Mold Breaker Excadrill as well as Clefable. In my opinion, the metagame did not really adapt to it all that much in the time before this suspect test when we it started picking up popularity - instead most adaptations were to Gothitelle (i.e. Shed Shell stallbreaker + ScarfTar). I would have liked to see a metagame with Sableye but without Gothitelle as I feel that would have given us a better picture as to whether this thing is too much of a problem or not. My take is that it probably is a bit overcentralizing.

Next up is whether Sableye is unhealthy or not. I think the main concern with being unhealthy is whether it increases matchup factor in an already matchup dependent metagame and whether it fosters uncompetitive strategies.

For the matchup thing while at one point I was a proponent of this argument I've come to believe that it is blown out of proportion. Yes Mega Sableye adds to matchup more than most pokemon however this perspective is also slanted by the fact that it is found on stall teams. The reason this is important to note is that stall is by far the most matchup dependent playstyle in this metagame. Stall attempts to completely cover as many threats as possible, but it is not possible to cover every threat, so whenever you come up against something that you are not very prepared for, it is an awful matchup. Conversely if you have your bases covered and the opposing team isn't able to overload your walls that commonly check 2 or more of their pokemon, you have a good matchup and will likely win. The difference here is that well built offensive teams are rarely susceptible to being flat out 6-0'd by something, but are rather weak to more things, each to a lesser degree. Because of speed and priority and all that, there is counterplay to things that threaten the team and it is possible to overcome a weakness to a threat such as say Weavile by playing around it to some extent. Anyway my basic point is that while Mega Sableye does exacerbate matchup, it may not be that much moreso than other big threats such as Charizard X, the perspective is just skewed because it is found on such a matchup dependent playstyle. That said, a pokemon should be considered in terms of its place in the metagame, not standalone. So there is an argument that these matchup concerns, while linked to the playstyle it is found on, cannot be separated from this playstyle and both need to be considered together.

As for fostering uncompetitive strategies this is something that concerns me. We have seen how it was kind of broken in combination with Gothitelle, which in its own right is uncompetitive. We also saw Baton Pass get nerfed in part due to another Magic Bounce user, Espeon. Sure Smeargle was the culprit in the eyes of many, but without an Espeon to pass to, common strategies such as phazing and Prankster T-Wave would have stopped it and it might have been viewed as a legitimate strategy that wasn't broken. Basically I think Magic Bounce is an ability that in the hands of the right pokemon or in the right circumstances can be overpowered, as we have seen in a couple scenarios already. This definitely bothers me and once again I don't think Sableye by itself is totally broken but its support mechanics in concert with other factors can lead to very unfavorable situations for opponents.

Overall I'm still on the fence. I would like to see a metagame with Sableye available and Shadow Tag banned, but I fear that if we don't ban it now and it turns out to be a problem afterwards, there might be some political issues about suspecting the same pokemon twice in a row. If I were to just go with a do what I want attitude I would probably vote to ban it, but I am not totally convinced that it needs to go. I am leaning toward banning it though due to my concerns about it in terms of all 3 of the aforementioned factors (well not matchup as much), but CBB's post did resonate with me regarding people kinda grasping for straws at Mega Metagross trying to argue it was a combination of factors making it broken.

edit: lol thinking about it actually I'm flip flopping on this. probably gonna vote no ban. If it turns out to be a problem without Shadow Tag we can revisit. I do still think Magic Bounce is really dumb though

Last edited:
Finished getting reqs and seeing as I spent a good amount of time on the suspect ladder I'll leave my thoughts on Mega Sableye here now. My thoughts on Shadow Tag are well documented lol it's a dumb ability let's get rid of it already.

So one of the main things with Sableye that myself and probably others were looking at is whether it's overcentralizing or unhealthy for the metagame. I don't think it's outright broken.

I guess I'll start with overcentralizing - first off we don't really have a definition for when a centralizing threat becomes overcentralizing. There's no real scale here so it becomes pretty subjective. That said Mega Sableye has an impact on the metagame unlike any other threat in ORAS OU. Not only is it the single best mon to win the hazard game, it's also a fantastic stallbreaker which disrupts many balance and stall teams. While it's true that there are many things that can threaten it out, this doesn't mean they stop it from doing its job which is shutting down other threats on the team such as Ferrothorn and so on. I don't think it's a far cry to say that it offers more support than just about anything and is the best utility pokemon in the tier. With a great typing it's also able to wall many difficult to wall threats such as Gengar. All these attributes add up to make it quite a centralizing pokemon, but is it overcentralizing? Well back to my original point, this is basically subjective. If it were outright broken I'm sure we would be seeing more of Stealth Rock Diancie and Mold Breaker Excadrill as well as Clefable. In my opinion, the metagame did not really adapt to it all that much in the time before this suspect test when we it started picking up popularity - instead most adaptations were to Gothitelle (i.e. Shed Shell stallbreaker + ScarfTar). I would have liked to see a metagame with Sableye but without Gothitelle as I feel that would have given us a better picture as to whether this thing is too much of a problem or not. My take is that it probably is a bit overcentralizing.

Next up is whether Sableye is unhealthy or not. I think the main concern with being unhealthy is whether it increases matchup factor in an already matchup dependent metagame and whether it fosters uncompetitive strategies.

For the matchup thing while at one point I was a proponent of this argument I've come to believe that it is blown out of proportion. Yes Mega Sableye adds to matchup more than most pokemon however this perspective is also slanted by the fact that it is found on stall teams. The reason this is important to note is that stall is by far the most matchup dependent playstyle in this metagame. Stall attempts to completely cover as many threats as possible, but it is not possible to cover every threat, so whenever you come up against something that you are not very prepared for, it is an awful matchup. Conversely if you have your bases covered and the opposing team isn't able to overload your walls that commonly check 2 or more of their pokemon, you have a good matchup and will likely win. The difference here is that well built offensive teams are rarely susceptible to being flat out 6-0'd by something, but are rather weak to more things, each to a lesser degree. Because of speed and priority and all that, there is counterplay to things that threaten the team and it is possible to overcome a weakness to a threat such as say Weavile by playing around it to some extent. Anyway my basic point is that while Mega Sableye does exacerbate matchup, it may not be that much moreso than other big threats such as Charizard X, the perspective is just skewed because it is found on such a matchup dependent playstyle. That said, a pokemon should be considered in terms of its place in the metagame, not standalone, so there is an argument that these matchup concerns while linked to the playstyle it is found on, cannot be separated from this playstyle and both need to be considered together.

As for fostering uncompetitive strategies this is something that concerns me. We have seen how it was kind of broken in combination with Gothitelle, which in its own right is uncompetitive. We also saw Baton Pass get nerfed primarily due to another Magic Bounce user, Espeon. Sure Smeargle was the culprit in the eyes of many, but without an Espeon to pass to, common strategies such as phazing and Prankster T-Wave would have stopped it and it might have been viewed as a legitimate strategy that wasn't broken. Basically I think Magic Bounce is an ability that in the hands of the right pokemon or in the right circumstances can be overpowered, as we have seen in a couple scenarios already. This definitely bothers me and once again I don't think Sableye by itself is totally broken but its support mechanics in concert with other factors can lead to very unfavorable situations for opponents.

Overall I'm still on the fence. I would like to see a metagame with Sableye available and Shadow Tag banned, but I fear that if we don't ban it now and it turns out to be a problem afterwards, there might be some political issues about suspecting the same pokemon twice in a row. If I were to just go with a do what I want attitude I would probably vote to ban it, but I am not totally convinced that it needs to go. I am leaning toward banning it though due to my concerns about it in terms of all 3 of the aforementioned factors, but CBB's post did resonate with me regarding people kinda grasping for straws at Mega Metagross trying to argue it was a combination of factors making it broken.
Hey blutz, didn't we suspect Keldo around 3 times in BW? I think re-suspecting it if it becomes a problem would be a reasonable thing to do.

I don't think I've ever had any trouble with m-sableye, but I haven't played OU enough to make a determination. As for S-tag, I nearly lost to a horribly made team (some combination of Gen 4 and UU mons, with curse ttar lol) because of shadow tag. while anecdotal, this battle showed me a glimpse of just how deadly it is if used well. Please ban it

I'm just going to type up something very quickly here, as I realise voting has already started.

Sableye isn't broken in offensive, or even raw defensive capacities, despite it being very good at them. This is also why most people are so reluctant to call it "broken", because it doesn't OHKO lots of stuff, or wall some extremely high number of pokemon. Before, I didn't really like calling it broken, but actually, just picture what a support pokemon that is too good for OU would be like.

It would:
  • Mitigate a solid amount of passive damage for its team mates.
  • Be very efficient in turn usage.
  • Scare off normally good moves, influencing the opponent and helping its team mates at every point in the match.
  • Be able to provide other useful utilities, eg spinblocking, spreading status, throwing out knock offs.
  • Also be able to form a solid part of many defensive cores.
CBB made many solid points in opposition to the Sableye ban, but the one point I really disagree with him about is saying Lando-T and Chomp won't be getting rocks up anyway, or will very rarely. The big difference here, is that if you set up rocks, they switch into skarm, then defog as you switch out, then you're actually in a slightly favourable situation, because now hazards that were on your side are gone, and you just switched something in on skarm that threatens it, only taking hazard damage in the process. That is a totally different situation to the opponent, in a single move, switching their counter into your hazard setter, negating your move, and getting hazards up on your side of the field in the process if you just so happened to be so stupid as to try to get the edge in the hazard war against a team with Sableye on it. There is stuff that deals huge damage in the tier, but if you ever want to move away from a situation where you either bring something that hits insanely hard, regardless of how well it fits on the rest of your team, or lose to Sableye, you'll vote ban. Yes, it does cause plenty of matchup issues, and it does shut out a large portion of formerly good stallbreakers in terms of effectiveness.

Matchup issues have been exaggerated in some cases, but in others they are perfectly valid. There is currently the option to eliminate the biggest cause of genuine matchup losses in the tier. Please do something about it.

Last edited:

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
fair enough, but if it is that easy to capitalize off of "momentum swings", with or without hazards (since hazards are getting removed for free unless you have competitive milotic or flinch quagsire twice with bisharps iron head), then i don't see how sableye is an issue anyway lol.

the thing is that people act like you need hazards to pressure stall heavily even without gothitelle; theres multiple ways to grab momentum and, while forcing skarmory to defog is one of them, that really doesn't refute any of the points i've made (the one of that part being, again, the fact that you don't need hazards to heavily pressure stall teams as long as you don't "lose to matchup" anyway [which happens with or without sableye]. if anything you saying "i can put pressure on stall via one free turn, aka the one used by skarmory to defog and do that even without entry hazards" just adds to my point since, clearly, entry hazards or the control of them aren't as instrumental in breaking stall teams down as people make them out to be. or any team with mega sableye for that matter.)

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Shadow tag
shadow tag has, and always will be the problem. because of shadow tag, it seemingly makes sableye also seem unhealthy as a result. however, sableye is just enhancing the sheer uncompetitiveness of shadow tag even more, not the other way around. i have a firm belief that shadow tag, and not sableye, is the biggest factor in why numerous people like to call ORAS OU a "matchup-dependent metagame" and is the pinnacle of what we should strive to get rid of in a competitive game.

the inherent nature of shadow tag is uncompetitive because it eliminates the option of switching for every single pokemon besides ghosts and other shadow tag users, which thus causes matchup to be the biggest factor in the game, ignoring skill. the comparison to other abilities that prevent switching is totally absurd because other abilities only target a few, select targets. while yes, you could say that dugtrio, a pokemon who gets arena trap, has the potential to trap literally all grounded pokemon, you also have to question whether or not dugtrio can kill/cripple these trapped pokemon the same way shadow tag users can. dugtrio isn't going to be trapping rougly 95% of what it can trap because its movepool is limited, to the extent where it really only has the capability to trap things that are slower and weak to its main STAB attack, such as heatran. then when you look at magnet pull, you first have to realize it only traps one single type. then you have to look at the number of relevant steels that magnezone/magneton actually have the capability to significantly weaken/kill, which is even smaller. for instance, even while trapped, a magnezone isnt going to be doing much vs a sand rush excadrill or spdef heatran or a +2 bisharp. magnezone's trapping abilities basically just extend to whether or not the pokemon is a steel pokemon in which magnezone can 2HKO/OHKO before it gets KOed back.

compare this with the two premier shadow tag users, and the amount of pokemon that get trapped, it becomes clear that shadow tag is significantly more unhealthy than the previous abilities. first, with gothitelle, the fact that it has access to trick, means it can permanently cripple any non mega pokemon. if the trapped pokemon is a defensive pokemon, the combination of shadow tag and trick enables it to lock them in one move and PP stall them extremely easily, and once they run out of PP and right before they die to struggle recoil, you can use trick again, then kill them and do the same thing to another defensive pokemon. for offensive pokemon, they are still crippled which enables the rest of your team to deal with it much more easily. this is the issue with using stallbreakers vs gothitelle stall; the goth can just trap and trick your stallbreaker, which suddenly makes it not a stallbreaker anymore, and you have just lost the most essential pokemon on your team for that game. speaking of stall itself, stall can adapt and play around other stallbreakers. Vs goth, you literally can't play around it because you can't switch. the ease in which gothitelle can slowly pick apart your walls one by one makes the goth user have a blatantly unfair advantage vs the opposing stall team and is uncompetitive because there is no counterplay available. banning shadow tag wouldnt hurt stall, as i see a lot of users theorizing; it would actually help stall since now they don't have to be worried about their walls getting trapped and picked apart.

idk why some people think that its just gothitelle who is uncompetitive and completely ignore the trapping capabilities of wobbuffet which is just as ridiculous. against the vast majority of offensive mons who attack on primarily one side of the attacking spectrum (think mega metagross, thundurus, raikou, lopunny), wobbuffet can easily trap and kill them. the way gothitelle helps stall can be compared to how wobbuffet assists offense, in that both shadow tag users pick apart the few key elements that give their team trouble so that their team can have a field day for the rest of the battle. you'd think having a sand excadrill/lopunny/LO starmie would be enough to combat offense, but if wobb traps them, you have just lost the most essential pokemon on your team for that game. Vs defensive stall builds, the ease at which wobbuffet can trap and weaken your walls with tickle so a pursuit user can finish them off at -6 defense is absurd. encore + shadow tag is just an unfair combination just like how trick + shadow tag is. do you really think games like these are fair?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-270582509 keep in mind that i could've trapped and killed his keldeo and amoongus too but the player forfeited out of sheer frustration

Sableye
i dont think sableye is broken, uncompetitive, or even unhealthy enough to the point where it warrants a ban. some people think that the classic skarm/chansey/sableye/quagsire/amoongus/goth stall is unhealthy and can win the vast majority of games because of Sab, but its not Sab that causes this, its Goth, which i already explained above why i think that should go. you can literally replace the mega sableye with another mega of your choice and still obtain the same or similar results. for example, before ORAS started and mega sableye even existed, fingerscrossed made that SAME EXACT team replacing sableye with zard-x, and got 40-0.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/aids-cos-you-all-got-it-aka-goth-zard-semi-stall-40-0.3504424/
similarly, tewmew used that SAME EXACT team as well, replacing sab with zard-y, and was consistently always #1 or #2 on ladder, alternating spots with denissss, for more than 3 months on his dauuuude sandstorm alt! shadow tag has not been a "new" issue with the introduction of sableye, it always has been a problem, and this just proves sableye isnt the one causing this team to be seemingly broken

numerous proban people believe that sableye should be banned because of its so called restriction on teambuilding. "it beats fat spikestacking teams, therefore we should ban it". you have to realize, literally most of the top threats in ORAS atm are restricting teambuilding in some way. otherwise, there would be no incentive to use them in the first place. take hoopa-u for example. it restricts teambuilding because you have to come up with innovative ways to deal with it using your stall/balanced team or you just lose. manaphy too; every balanced player has to make sure they have some way to handle manaphy and not get 6-0ed. look at the way lopunny restricts teambuilding by basically forcing you to have a garchomp/landorus-t/klefki to stomach its attacks, or how sand excadrill restricts teambuilding by forcing your offense team to carry a prio user like breloom/azu or something like landorus-t. latias/latios restrict teambuilding by forcing you to have a dragon resist on every single one of your teams, keld forces every team to have a switch in for it specifically. its all the same concept. just because sableye restricts teambuilding doesn't mean it should go, unless someone can convince me that it does so in such a way that completely surpasses everything else i just mentioned.

a handful of other people also believe that sableye should go due to its overcentralization and how it forces the metagame to be based solely around it. some people are ridiculous enough to compare its centralization to that of a previously banned pokemon, aegislash! this is not an accurate comparison at all. During the two weeks Aegi was allowed in ORAS, it shaped OU drastically by promoting offense so well that it made offense the most popular playstyle by far when previously it was balance, and whats even more noticeable, was that the pokemon comprising these offense teams were mainly all pokemon which could beat aegi, since no one wanted to give it a free switch in. as a result, the aegi suspect test ladder was spammed with landorus/ttar/exca/lopunny/keld teams. lets also not forget back in XY when aegi was allowed it prevented countless pokemon that lost to it from seeing much usage which caused them to plummel to BL or lower tiers, such as celebi, starmie, mega heracross, etc. Now compare this with our current situation, Sableye. Sableye doesn't cause a playstyle shift in that the most preferred playstyle by far is stall or fat spikestacking balance. in fact, i'd say that ORAS atm is pretty balanced playstyle wise since all playstyles are viable and see use. now lets look at the things Sableye "beats" and correlate it to its overcentralization. Sableye hard counters and prevents many defensive pokemon from fulfilling their roles, such as Hippo, Ferro, Klefki, Garchomp, Landorus-t, defensive starmie, skarmory, etc. Yet these things are all quite common and popular and see consistent usage so i fail to see how sableye causes this so called overcentralization.

now, probably the biggest argument calling for Sab's ban is that it brings an unfair advantage regarding entry hazards to the Sab user. i still don't see how this makes it banworthy. Ignoring the fact there are indeed a handful of options for entry hazard users beating Sab including dazzlinggleam/playrough klefki, earth plate lando-t, sd lum chomp, dazzling gleam azelf, even if Sab prevented the placement of all hazards, how does this make it bannable? there are a myraid of other factors in the game. if your opponent spends a turn setting up hazards, thats a free turn for you to attack/set up or whatever. also, assuming the opposing team has a SR weak mon like talonflame or zard-x, or multiple mons heavily weak to spikes such as metagross or keldeo, they more than likely will have some sort of hazard removal available. assuming shadow tag gets banned, there are other ways to beat stall other than setting up SR and spikes and doing 30 double switches in a row to eventually weaken their walls (which isnt a very efficient option btw). There are stall breakers and methods of being able to pressure the opponent with agressive play (like saccing your +2 bisharp to weaken a hippo so your zard-x can sweep). If i'm the sab user, im using sab specifically for its unique benefits to the team, and one of these benefits is more safety against hazards, just like how you're using zard-y for its unique benefit to crush balanced teams with minimal effort or whatever. imo, people are so used to bringing fat mons that can set up hazards reliably, then just formulaic switching to whatever counter they have to the opposing pokemon and always making safe plays that they refuse to adapt, and just want to ban the pokemon that prevents them from doing this even though its not broken or uncompetitive in the slightest, instead of constructing ways to work around this threat.

shit, i should've posted this sooner than the day the voting thread went up but ive just been mad busy with finals and everything that i just now got to this. anyways, if you want to conserve our tiering policy, please dont vote to ban sab. its not broken/uncompetitive/or even unhealthy enough to warrant a ban and banning it just because its sometimes frustrating to play against, or you "hate gay stall", is not the way to go.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
just saying that if u didn't get anything out of my post for whatever reason i urge u to read WECAMEASROMANS ' post despite its length and despite him not being mcmeghan or me (yall know thats the main reason some long posts get read and some get ignored) for putting what i tried to convey in a lot less dickish and a lot more digestable tone. good ass post.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I didn't even realize we had a suspect test until Dec. 9. RIP me.

I was hoping to get requirements with my Wobbs team, but I digress.

Shadow Tag is certainly a threat, but I keep reading posts that start with "Gothitelle is broken because..." and I'm like; we're arguing that SHADOW TAG is banned, not only Goth? Is Wobbs to the point of broken, does it need to go too because Gothitelle sinned?

I digress, my bit has been said; let me crack down on Sableye.

A lot of people talk about it in stall terms and not offensive terms. A lot of "But it can be 2HKO'd!" is tossed around, but seriously, as an offensive player, this is pretty borked. Let me explain: the most hard-hitting moves don't OHKO. Latios Draco Meteor can't even OHKO this thing. If it isn't a SE STAB Fairy attack, this thing isn't being OHKO'd, and Sableye can cripple half of its threats with simply Wisp (preventing half of them from switching in from fear of it). I'm not saying this alone is enough to ban it... but between all the other aforementioned reasons stated, I think it's enough to warrant a ban.

Did I talk about Magic Bounce?

Seriously insane ability. Can't toxic it, can't set up hazards against it, can't Taunt it -- nothing! On a defensive pokemon, this is huge. Pokemon that would otherwise shut it down with a Taunt, or at least create 50-50 mind games (Gengar) can no longer do this. Between Snarl, Wisp, Knock Off, Fake Out, Recover, Wisp, etc., this thing packs a pesky punch. This thing threatens offensive teams just as much as stall teams. I mean, everyime I build an offensive team I'm like "need to get rid of the mindless Taunt / bulky asf pivot..." and it's just not something I think is healthy for the metagame. It's already a big enough problem against stall...

edit: 100% unanimous? impossible!! there is at least one user who detests!!

Last edited:

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Shadow Tag keeps you from doing the one thing that defines competitive Pokemon--making switches. It needs to be banned regardless if the user is a Gothitelle or a Wynaut. There's nothing competitive about an ability that has almost no opportunity cost. What's the chance of you double switching in your Tyranitar to Pursuit an incoming Gothitelle? Pretty damn slim. Let's make history by making this a 100% unanimous ban.

I'm not sure everyone realizes how huge of a deal it is that mega sableye prevents hazards.

This isn't just about being unable to pressure the sab team with hazards; it's about the sab team being able to pressure you.
"No hazards" means they get to switch for free, and while there are hazards on your side of the field they can impose costs on you by switching.

Edit: I guess what I was trying to say with that deoxys-d argument was this: Everyone's acting like hazards are just one element of the game, and giving the sableye-team free reign in that area is fine. But we have made a ban before, that was based solemnly on one sided hazard stacking.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
And there's no way whatsoever to prevent hazards aside from Mega Sableye. No defog, no offensive spinners that break Sableye, no mega diancie, no offensive pressure to force recovery instead of hazard setting, nope. Sableye makes hazards entirely free for whatever team it is on.

/sarcasm.

I digress, my bit has been said; let me crack down on Sableye.

A lot of people talk about it in stall terms and not offensive terms. A lot of "But it can be 2HKO'd!" is tossed around, but seriously, as an offensive player, this is pretty borked. Let me explain: the most hard-hitting moves don't OHKO. Latios Draco Meteor can't even OHKO this thing. If it isn't a SE STAB Fairy attack, this thing isn't being OHKO'd, and Sableye can cripple half of its threats with simply Wisp (preventing half of them from switching in from fear of it). I'm not saying this alone is enough to ban it... but between all the other aforementioned reasons stated, I think it's enough to warrant a ban.

Did I talk about Magic Bounce?

Seriously insane ability. Can't toxic it, can't set up hazards against it, can't Taunt it -- nothing! On a defensive pokemon, this is huge. Pokemon that would otherwise shut it down with a Taunt, or at least create 50-50 mind games (Gengar) can no longer do this. Between Snarl, Wisp, Knock Off, Fake Out, Recover, Wisp, etc., this thing packs a pesky punch. This thing threatens offensive teams just as much as stall teams. I mean, everyime I build an offensive team I'm like "need to get rid of the mindless Taunt / bulky asf pivot..." and it's just not something I think is healthy for the metagame. It's already a big enough problem against stall...
I'm not sure everyone realizes how huge of a deal it is that mega sableye prevents hazards.

This isn't just about being unable to pressure the sab team with hazards; it's about the sab team being able to pressure you.
"No hazards" means they get to switch for free, and while there are hazards on your side of the field they can impose costs on you by switching.

Edit: I guess what I was trying to say with that deoxys-d argument was this: Everyone's acting like hazards are just one element of the game, and giving the sableye-team free reign in that area is fine. But we have made a ban before, that was based solemnly on one sided hazard stacking.
Honestly, you even called clicking taunt and toxic mindless yourself. I think we have enough breakers capable of a 2HKO that your argument fails. And since when is SR a given right, besides its not like Sableye can set hazards on you, so neither side gets up hazards unless you want to leave your rock user in on Sableye until yours dies, which unless it was mentioned above is just a plain stupid play, or Giving the stall team free turns. Besides, Sable is set-up bait for so much.

And there's no way whatsoever to prevent hazards aside from Mega Sableye. No defog, no offensive spinners that break Sableye, no mega diancie, no offensive pressure to force recovery instead of hazard setting, nope. Sableye makes hazards entirely free for whatever team it is on.
Yes; the battle between hazard setters and hazard removal so far has been a decisive win for hazard setters.
There is no way outside mega sableye to keep hazards off the field in the long term.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Honestly, you even called clicking taunt and toxic mindless yourself. I think we have enough breakers capable of a 2HKO that your argument fails. And since when is SR a given right, besides its not like Sableye can set hazards on you, so neither side gets up hazards unless you want to leave your rock user in on Sableye until yours dies, which unless it was mentioned above is just a plain stupid play, or Giving the stall team free turns. Besides, Sable is set-up bait for so much.
Magic Bounce is also mindless? I meant "mindless Taunt block" since stall otherwise needs a better answer to it.

Anywho, to address your points:
  • 2HKO is not enough, seriously. That was the point I was making. The fact that it's a 2HKO instead of a OHKO for some of OUs strongest attacks is insane, and it can easily Recover damage off on threats it can come in on, too, or cripple threats with Wisp, preventing the 2HKO as it heals back up. Its a struggle for offensive teams to bypass it, partly due to its insane bulk, and its only exploitable weakness being Fairy type.

• Aside from, like, Manaphy, its not easy to set up on Sableye (or at least, a Sableye stall, since Sableye + Chansey + Quags + etc. squad, come on, let's be real here). Like the pokemon that can set up on Sableye can't really do much against a Sableye team. SD Gliscor stopped by Quagsire, Goth, Skarmory, etc. | I get that you're saying that 1v1 there are ways around Sableye, but we're looking at Sableye's impact as a whole, and this includes teammates to an extent (I mean, teammates are the entire reason Goth is being suspected). Not saying to get crazy with it, but don't try using BS examples like "Sableye is set up bait!!" when a.) it has Wisp wtf and b.) this is something easier said on paper than in practice.

• I'm saying Magic Bounce denies the rights of the move I'm given. If I use Taunt, I should be guaranteed of its effects, but Magic Bounce blocks this. I never said that it's broken, merely that it adds on to Sableye's versatility. Aside from Sableye and Diancie (lol Espeon Xatu what), NO OTHER POKEMON can deny me my Toxic Taunt Rocks etc. by merely existing , so this is a huge boon for Sableye and deserves a mention. It's not just HAZARDS that Sableye denies the right to, it's a bunch of other stall stops, like Toxic, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, etc. Don't make it seem like I'm only saying one thing when it's on a MUCH bigger scale.

Also, explain it to me like I'm five and list me all the 2HKO mons and all the pokemon that easily set up on Sableye please and thanks. You might realize that most of them are not going to be useful in the long run when facing Sableye teams than you originally assumed when you typed that statement.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
the most hard-hitting moves don't OHKO. Latios Draco Meteor can't even OHKO this thing. I think it's enough to warrant a ban.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Spinda: 273-321 (84.2 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A List of 24 common ou pokemon that take a long-term shit all over standard sableye stall
And a list of 301 pokemon that 2hko physical sableye
And a list of 270 pokemon that 2hko special sableye

A relevant comparison to sableye's bulk:

252 SpA Manaphy Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 60-71 (15.5 - 18.3%) -- possible 6HKO
252 SpA Manaphy Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 49-58 (16.1 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO

Yes, with the same ev spread, keldeo is bulkier than sableye. Your post in nonsense.

Last edited:
As playing the game pre-Goth craze showed us, Sableye is not and never has been anything close to an overpowering Pokemon. When you are as slow as Sab is and don't even have Leftovers, you better have Giratina level bulk and being able to threaten Pokes more dangerously than what Sab's sorry movepool allows for is also highly desirable. Without these qualities you are going to get taken advantage of really hard, very easily. Forced Recovers from any halfway strong attack, the necessity to block SR so great that the switch against the corresponding Pokemon couldn't possibly be more telegraphed. The methods for straight-up dealing with Sab aren't exactly rare, either (for any type of team. I don't know how this ridiculous idea that Sab shuts down every team on the planet came to be). Can it maybe mess up your day a bit if it comes in for free? Sure, but that goes for every Pokemon. Are you tired of dealing with the dreaded Will-o-Wisp + Knock Off combo? You're probably weak to Mew as well if this is the case, but the way to deal with this is to get good. Tweak your team, be all over the other guy in the battle and harrass that supposedly broken Pokemon. You'll find that if you don't play with your thumbs up your ass and actually pressure Sab (which, as stated, is not hard and in fact is something that I would expect anyone decent to be able to do consistently), it becomes a lot less threatening. Gothitelle (Goth family. Shadow Tag. I don't care) is so clearly the issue here. Most of the ban Sab crowd want to be able to win against Sab's kinds of teams by tunnel visioning passive damage tactics that Sab annoys (barely, if you're at all good and your team doesn't suck).

Magic Bounce is also mindless? I meant "mindless Taunt block" since stall otherwise needs a better answer to it.
OU's viable Taunt users: Heatran, Mega Gardevoir, Tornadus-T, Gengar, Talonflame, Keldeo, Gliscor, Mew. Sab switches into the following of those Pokes: Taunt + WoW Talon, Taunt + Knock Glisc, and Mew. The former two can chip it on the switch pretty well and Gliscor can stay in for a few turns to make sure its teammate switches in on Recover. Okay, Mew is blanked, big deal. The Sab switch to it is telegraphed as fuck. Abuse that.

2HKO is not enough, seriously. That was the point I was making. The fact that it's a 2HKO instead of a OHKO for some of OUs strongest attacks is insane, and it can easily Recover damage off on threats it can come in on, too, or cripple threats with Wisp, preventing the 2HKO as it heals back up. Its a struggle for offensive teams to bypass it, partly due to its insane bulk, and its only exploitable weakness being Fairy type.
You could say the exact same things for Mew, who does have 3 weaknesses as opposed to one but I don't think anyone would argue that Dark/Ghost/Bug pokes are eagerly thrown into it. A lot harder to take advantage of than Sab!

Aside from, like, Manaphy, its not easy to set up on Sableye (or at least, a Sableye stall, since Sableye + Chansey + Quags + etc. squad, come on, let's be real here). Like the pokemon that can set up on Sableye can't really do much against a Sableye team. SD Gliscor stopped by Quagsire, Goth, Skarmory, etc.
Maybe you should try winning another way rather than being frustrated that your one turn setup doesn't end entire games.

I'm saying Magic Bounce denies the rights of the move I'm given. If I use Taunt, I should be guaranteed of its effects, but Magic Bounce blocks this.

In conclusion:
- ban Goth(s)/STag
- keep Mega Sableye
and to quote my good freund
I do hope to see Scald and Thunder Wave next on the chopping block and also I love Slayer xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)