Project NU Gimmick Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Raseri

Firstly I don't know whether this is gonna be of use or interesting to anyone but I thought it would be nice to see some different "innovation" - in the form of (probably terrible) gimmicks.

The idea of this thread is to weekly take a new gimmick, build a team round said gimmick, battle with it and then post feedback, ultimately labelling the gimmick a Success or Failure. At the same time as investigating the current gimmick, people can suggest and vote on new ones for successive weeks. I will keep a strawpoll updated in this post for voting, and a new gimmick will be selected every Sunday (in the unlikely event that this thread is successful).

So, what is a gimmick?
Wikipedia sums if up pretty nicely: "a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use."
I would add to that saying that, in Pokemon, a gimmick is a moveset or set of movesets that have a clear goal in mind, albeit a goal that is reliant on certain factors and may be missed more often than not. These are not gimmicks, these are Good Sets™.

In order to take part on any given week, build a team around the current gimmick and post it on this thread. Then complete a good number of battles (say 20, but nobody's counting) and update your post with your win/loss ratio (if you know it), any interesting replays and your final verdict about whether the gimmick is a Success or Failure. Everyone's verdicts will be tallied, and then the gimmick will be filed below.

none

disjunction u a ded man

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
OK to get things started then, here is the team that I have been using:
Slaking @ Lum Berry
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Pursuit

Yamask @ Eviolite
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Electroweb
- Leaf Storm
- Bug Buzz

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell
- Body Slam

Claydol @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Earth Power

Webs let you go Adamant with Slaking and help him outspeed stuff like Tauros and Floatzel, I experimented with items but found the Lum Berry to be most useful to protect against burns and para. I went for Calm Mind Yamask because I wanted to encourage the opponent to use physical moves and inherit Mummy; Yamask actually put in some work. The rest of the team just sort of built itself, with a webber, SRer, spinner and defog blocker.

Using this team I played for 20 games and went 14-6. I would say that Slaking got Mummy and then KOed 3 or more mons in maybe 5 of the games. I think the main issue with this gimmick is that it is incredibly obvious what you are doing to people who have seen it before, and it can be played around relatively easily. Opposing Archeops can also benefit from hitting Yamask and inheriting Mummy.

Even though it was quite fun, I would rate this gimmick a Failure.

EDIT:
I decided to give it a go with Eject Button Yamask, which is nice in that you can bring it in on weakened physical attackers, get hit and then switch straight out to Slaking. The flipside is that special attacks also activate it which can be annoying. Here are some replays of slaking doing work (yes I know it's low ladder):

Last edited:
I present, the ultimate gimick team!

Slaking @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Return
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot

Yamask @ Quick Claw
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def
- Mean Look
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Memento

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Signal Beam

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn/Air Slash
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hyper Beam

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

So this is the team I made, we have a lot of memes here so I shall disect each one carefully. We start of with the Slaking/Yamask core, Slaking can either run LO/Lum it doesn't really matter as long as it is free to switch moves. Return/EQ is coverage, gunk shot it to fuck megadino over, and pursuit is to secure the chance of getting mummy off yamask. The yamask set isn't incredibly important since its main point is to die to a knock off/some random ass attack so slaking can come in as soon as possible. However while the set didn't matter much, I put t-spikes + quick claw on it for lols and also gave it 0HP+0Def Ivs so it dies more often. Mesprit is just the fast rocks set which serves as knock off bait, and colbur can take any pursuit! Pelliper is just bulky pelliper which can defog, and also u-turn into yamask if need be on slow knock offs. Next on the list we have the best off all which is hyper beam pyroar since it's the best filler ever. And then we have bulk up gurdurr to fuck with things like floatzel, lilligant and klinklang which kinda destroy the team. :pirate:

I have a replay here of me showing basically how to use the team to at least some effectivness although slaking didn't actually do that much. Although just for the record, I did get a sweep with slaking however I am stupid and don't save replays often.
Win/Loss Ratio (out of 16 games) 13W/3L thank god low ladder are so bad
Final Verdict: Success

sorry for not contributing much (dont have much time), but shouldn't yamask be holding an eject button over any other item?
Good point, I kinda forgot about eject button. Will give it a try and see if I have more success.

#2 Gimmick of the Week

We Like Sportz

The challenge this week is to build a team that utilises the move Mud Sport or Water Sport. These moves reduce the power of Electric and Fire attacks respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)