NU Team: I am slow!

So, when I created this team, I already had a [long] list of pokemon I had in mind to put on the team, and there were simply too many pokemon that could match with each other. Instead of selecting one pokemon, as usual, and basing an entire team around it, I picked two pokemon and started creating a team to what I think would match them.

The first two pokemon I started off with were Dunsparce and Torkoal. Dunsparce was chosen for its more of less unique (in the lower tiers anyway) ability, Serene Grace and Torkoal for its ridiculously large physical bulk and the fact that it's a fairly reliable Rapid Spinner and Stealth Rock user.

Then after selecting those two I realized that they weren't exactly fast, with slow being an understatement in the case of Torkoal. So I considered between Slowking and Dusclops for the spot of the Trick Roomer, eventually choosing Slowking, who originally took on a more supportive role.

Asking around for a bit, I noticed that Slowking took quite large hits from Thunderbolt, so I added Gastrodon to absorb Electric, Water, Ground and Fire attacks in case Slowking faints and back up was needed.

After considering the fact that Torkoal can Rapid Spin away entry hazards, I took the liberty to choose everyone's favourite NU pokemon, Shedinja! Since NU teams can be used in UU too, I figured it would kind of shock someone if Shedinja made an appearance on my team.

In the end, I noticed my team is a bit lacking on the speed side and considering that I have only one Trick Roomer, which can more or less hold its own, I ended up picking Linoone, a relatively speedy little critter, for the lead position.

So right now, my final lineup consists of Linoone, Slowking, Gastrodon, Dunsparce, Torkoal, and Shedinja.

Right. So now that we've got the selection out of the way, it's time for the In-depth lookup.

Linoone (F) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Gluttony
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Claw

Yes, Linoone can take out BellyZard (even if it doesn't use Belly Drum, meaning that it's at 75% health after Substitute), and this was actually tested. The moveset is pretty straightforward, Belly Drum to 1000+ attack and activate Salac Belly by Gluttony, then proceed to sweep out about half the metagame with a combination of ExtremeSpeed and Seed Bomb. Shadow Claw nets a couple of unexpected KOs on Alakazam and Rotom, as well as the omnipresent Shedinja in NU.

Slowking (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Surf
- Trick Room

I originally meant for this to be a Support set, but I realized the other pokemon would hold their own anyway, even without Trick Room. Psychic and Surf provide perfect type coverage, but is unfortunately resisted by Pokemon such as Crawdaunt or Sharpedo, although Sharpedo tends to be more dangerous. Slowking's Special bulk also allows him to switch into ineffective attacks such as Flamethower more easily. Nasty Plot ups Special Attack quickly too. The main idea of this set is to switch into a harmless attack, then either Trick Room or Nasty Plot first, depending on whichever seems more appealing, and then start attacking. If in UU, Slowking doesn't care about Ambipon's Fake Out and can Trick Room before hitting back hard.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Recover

Curse Gastrodon completely eats physical attacks and burps them back out, and Electric type attacks (Thunderbolt, Thunder, etc.) have no effect at all. The only thing that this set fears is bulky Grass-types like Tangrowth or even Vileplume, in which I'd immediately switch out to either Shedinja, Torkoal, or Dunsparce, depending on the situation.

Dunsparce (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Headbutt
- Bite
- Substitute

This is the ultimate UU/NU haxxer. Body Slam first to paralyze, then Substitute, Headbutt, and Bite as needed. Repeat until the enemy switches out, dies, or you face an opponent such as Regirock or Registeel, who effectively wall this. Then when you have eliminated the threat, switch back and continue haxxing the opponent.

Torkoal (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: White Smoke
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Flamethrower
- Yawn

Tried and true. It's my rapid spinner and helps me get rid of entry hazards for Shedinja. Torkoal also takes STAB Earthquakes with absolutely no problem, so it can just set up Stealth Rock before Yawning Dugtrio to cause it to switch out.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs:
Hardy Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace

Shedinja helps me to stall, especially if it's down to the opponent's last pokemon and, hooray, it's Chansey or Clefable or even Feraligatr. Aerial Ace deals with Heracross, which is terrible for my team, and can help to kill other Shedinja trying to outpredict Sucker Punch by using Swords Dance.

Please help me rate my team, any feedback will be welcomed. I may post a list of possible threats after I try out my team, but right now it seems that Regirock is the bane of my existence, especially if it comes out nearer to the end, and Linoone, Slowking, and Gastrodon are more or less dead. Also, Shedinja is effectively useless in Hail or Sandstorm, so I'm wondering if I should get a weather condition, say, Rain Dance, on one of my pokemon.

As an end note, I apologize for the lack of pictures.

One thing that stands out to me is alot of your pokemon require some setup before they become a threat. So a good Sub-Passer would be a good idea. Ninjask can do this for you and pass a speed boost all at once.

One thing that stands out to me is alot of your pokemon require some setup before they become a threat. So a good Sub-Passer would be a good idea. Ninjask can do this for you and pass a speed boost all at once.
Ninjask won't do because it is OU, but he does have a point. The moment your opponent takes down your Slowking, your team has no one left to sweep due to their low speed (and Linoone acts as a lead I suppose). Thus you might consider adding a pokemon with more speed or an extra trick roomer to your team. Besides that, it is a nice NU trick room team ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)