Non-Pokébank OU Pre-Bank OU Team?(Newbie)

As said in the title, I'm a newbie when it comes to competitive battling, but thanks to all the changes that Sun and Moon introduced, I thought that I'd stick my hand in the ring and try it out.

I'm a complete newb at this, but this is what seems like a decent team? Note: I have Sun version, so I do not have access to Celesteela or Pheromosa.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf,
Jolly Nature.
Rough Skin. EVs: 252 ATK, 252 Speed, 4HP
* Dragon Claw
* Stone Edge
* Fire Fang
* Earthquake

Garchomp is my favorite Pokemon in the game, so of course I have to put him in here. With max speed investments, he should outspeed most threats. Every other move he has is for simple coverage. No Outrage due to the abundance of Tapus running around and being immune to it, trapping me in the move and setting up on me.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Regenerator. EVs: 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Sp.Atk
* Scald
* Recover
* Toxic Spikes
* Haze

You've seen this set a million times, there's really not much else to add here. Toxapex is an annoying wall that will stall you out, or die trying. Recover and Regenerator just add an unfair amount of self healing, and Haze will remove any stat changes the opponent tries to do. Scald of course for the potential burn chance. Have fun fighting this thing.

Alolan Marowak @ Thick Club,
Careful Nature
Lightning Rod. EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Atk
* Flare Blitz
* Will-o-Wisp
* Earthquake
* Shadow Bone

Careful Marowak to better absorb hits. Otherwise, a fairly standard set. Flare Blitz hits hella hard, and Bonemerang and Shadow Bone are staple moves for A-Marowak. Otherwise, it's standard, basically every team is running this thing to check Xurkitree and Celesteela right now.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers,
Bold Nature
Psychic Surge. EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 64 Speed
* Moonblast
* Surf
* Defog
* Calm Mind

I was originally going to put Tapu Lele here, but realized that I lacked a way to get rid of hazards, and Fini is pretty good at that. She can set up with Calm Mind if she gets a chance and do massive Moonblast+Surf damage as well? Seems like her main role is primarily a bulky defogger.

Kartana @ Life Orb,
Jolly Nature
Beast Boost. EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def
* Leaf Blade
* Smart Strike
* Night Slash
* Sacred Sword

This thing is a terror, and it's awesome at how strong it is. It can sweep un-prepared opponents pretty hard, but it also dies really easily to the lightest breeze. It's a piece of paper that can cut you in two, is the best way to describe it, I guess. It has all around good coverage in its moves, at least, and they have high crit chances, so there's that.

Scizor, @ Scizorite,
Impish Nature
Technician. EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
* Bullet Punch
* U-Turn
* Roost
* Swords Dance

I didn't come up with the EV spread, someone else gave it to me since I asked for a bulky Scizor build. Basically the team's token Mega and revenge killer with Bullet Punch. Also ignores Toxic Spikes via Mareanie, so that's nice, I guess? I dunno what else to say, I'm a newb, sorry.

Last edited:
On Garchomp you don't want to be locked into Outrage in this Tapu meta. Switch it for Dragon Claw at the very least.

You might want to consider trying to use a Choice Scarf instead of a Life Orb on Garchomp, it's very helpful being able to outspeed major threats like Pheromosa, just a suggestion though.

You might want to consider trying to use a Choice Scarf instead of a Life Orb on Garchomp, it's very helpful being able to outspeed major threats like Pheromosa, just a suggestion though.
What would you use over Swords Dance? Stone Edge?

Anyone think Nihilego would be better than Gengar?

Last edited:
I think Tapu Bulu would be pretty nice here. You lose out on hazard removal, which can hurt A-Marowak, but Bulu also provides a bit of protection for Gengar and Marowak, as it basically gives them Ground resist. He also boosts Kartana's already rediculously powerful Leaf Blade. Additionally, Marowak can still hit hard with his Bonemerang since it is not affected by Grassy Terrain. A sizeable drawback with this is the Grassy Terrain recovery also helping out the opponent's grounded mons, but with your pretty powerful sweepers, you should be fine.

Either way, the team seems pretty good as is. My only other suggestion is maybe swapping Marowak's Lightningrod ability with Rock Head. Gets rid of an immunity, but Garchomp can take those hits either way. The bonus is that you won't take recoil with Flare Blitz. This is just personal opinion howerver, and the team looks good even without these changes.

I think Tapu Bulu would be pretty nice here. You lose out on hazard removal, which can hurt A-Marowak, but Bulu also provides a bit of protection for Gengar and Marowak, as it basically gives them Ground resist. He also boosts Kartana's already rediculously powerful Leaf Blade. Additionally, Marowak can still hit hard with his Bonemerang since it is not affected by Grassy Terrain. A sizeable drawback with this is the Grassy Terrain recovery also helping out the opponent's grounded mons, but with your pretty powerful sweepers, you should be fine.

Either way, the team seems pretty good as is. My only other suggestion is maybe swapping Marowak's Lightningrod ability with Rock Head. Gets rid of an immunity, but Garchomp can take those hits either way. The bonus is that you won't take recoil with Flare Blitz. This is just personal opinion howerver, and the team looks good even without these changes.
Thanks for the reply.

I may use Bulu in the future, but as is I can't since I don't have enough bottlecaps to train him in the right stats.

Tapu Fini stats are normally more Specially Defensive, but you already have SpDef Marrowak. I like what you did, I'd like to see how it works against the meta right now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)