Pre-Pokebank Unconventional GenVI (Rev.2)

Hi all,

Here is my stable team for this generation. This is the second revision for something usable pre-pokebank.

At a glance...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galvantula
@ Focus Sash

Ability: Compoundeye

4 HP | 252 SP.Atk | 252 Spe

Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)

- Thunder

- Bug Buzz

- Sticky Web

- Volt Switch

ROLE

To be honest this isn't the most optimal lead for me, but with the lack of pokes that can learn SR in this generation I opted to try out the new Sticky Web entry hazard with a poke I've always like the look of, Denchura. It has pretty respectable speed and has the ability to frighten away the most common Magic Bounce poke Espeon and also Mega Absol with stab Bug Buzz. Its a pretty offensive lead, but has the speed and the ability to jump away on switches with Volt Switch.

MOVES

Sticky Web is the signature move of this set. A new moves of GenVI, it slows the target by one stage on entry. This is likely to be one of the most sought after entry hazards of the generation and with the aforementioned lack of decent pokes with SR until PokeBank comes outs, its probably going to be a prime entry hazard. Thunder is Denchuras signature move, with its ability Compoundeye it raises the accuracy of the move to 91%, which makes it a no-brainer. With 165 power after STAB and high paralysis chance (30%), its a monster of a move. Bug Buzz is the other STAB option. It does well to frighten off all the Magic Bounce users (Espeon and Mega Absol). Volt Switch is another great move introduced last generation. The special/electric uturn allows it to jump out of battle on predicted switch-ins.

NATURE/EV's

Pretty straightforward. Timid for maximum speed. EV's spread for maximum speed and special attack.

ITEM

I had tried Life Orb in an earlier revision but found Denchura waaaay too fragile to pull it off. Focus Sash guarantees at least I get Sticky Web up.

Tentacruel
@ Black Sludge

Ability: Liquid Ooze

248 HP | 244 Def | 16 Spe

Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Sludge Wave

- Scald

- Rapid Spin

- Toxic Spikes

Role

Cruel I think still remains very viable even after the nurf to weather. With strong typing, speed and defences it does well to check a lot of threats especially with the introduction of Fairy. With the added Reflect support on this team it can even shrug unboosted Earthquakes from a lot of common threats. Also, because of its Fairy resistance it synergizes extremely well with the Spiritomb on this team. All of this on-top of spin support and toxic spikes makes it extremely useful in this team.

Moves/Ability

Sludge Wave is a strong STAB option, hitting fairy’s for huge damage even with no EV investment in its offenses. Scald is the second STAB option with the added bonus of high burn chance. Rapid Spin is has obvious benefits on any team, removing any entry hazards to give longevity to your team. Toxic Spikes was a bit of a filler option here, but does well to hinder a lot of pokes in the late game, especially bulky opponents such as a non-aromatherapy Bliss etc. Ability wise, Tentacruels options all have merit, but I think Liquid Ooze(outside of Rain) is the strongest given the prominence of Giga Drain since its buff in Gen5 and the new found prominence of Leech Seed on the likes of Ferrothorn and Venasaur.

Nature/EV’s

Timid with 16EV’s in Speed gives Tentacruel the ability to outrun a lot of common threats in the metagame such a positive natured Breloom & Skarm as well as neutral natured Dragonite, Gyarados and Heatran. The rest of the EV’s are dumped into its HP and Defence to improve its physical and overall bulk.

Item

Black Sludge is a given on any Poison type as a Leftovers replacement to deter Trick shenanigans. Nothing is more hilarious than watching a Rotom-W Trick itself Black Sludge and dieing.

Spiritomb
@ Leftovers

Ability: Infiltrator

252 HP | 252 Defence | 4 Sp.Def

Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk)

- Sucker Punch

- Pain Split

- Will-o-wisp

- Foul Play

Role

Spiritomb acts as the physical wall and spin blocker for this team. I am constantly surprised by how well this poke holds up in this super powerful generation. For the most part it keeps its trait of having no weaknesses and two immunities, but has gained one weakness in the form of Fairy in this generation. This is offset somewhat in this team with Tentacruel and Azumarill which can both switch into a lot of the common Fairy threats with little to no threat of being KO’d. Perhaps the main problem with Spiritomb as it can be a bit predictable, but you can use that to your own advantage by doing second or third tier predictions.

Moves/Ability

Sucker punch gives great priority with 80 base power (highest of any priority move not including Talonflame moves and Extremespeed), plus STAB it can do serious damage to a lot of pokes still with Spiritombs rather high Attack stat even without EV investment. It does a particularly good job at dealing with M.Gengar and M.Alakazam dealing around 80+% to them. Foul Play is a very strong move in my opinion dealing colossal damage to anything with SD or DD boosts. This ties in extremely well with the Infiltrator ability. Imagine a Gyarados sets up a Sub and starts Dragon Dancing. After 2 Dances Spiritomb can still survive any of its attacks and OHKO it with Foul Play while Gyarados is behind the sub. Its an amazing combination. Will-o-wisp has had its Gen5 nurf undone which is great and continues to do a good job at hindering all physical attackers that don’t have Guts. Pain Split is Spiritombs only recovery move and is made stronger by the Infiltrator ability given that it cannot be dodges by enemy Substitutes.

Nature/EV's

Impish is the pretty straightforward choice boosting its Defence while lowering its redundant Sp.Atk. EV's are pretty stardard. Given Spiritombs low HP its essential to eek every possible hit point out to maximise its survive. Same goes for its Defence. Even with no EV's in Attack, Spiritomb still has a respectable 220 Atk and with only 4 EV's still has 253 SpDef, which is enough to survive a few hits from the popular special based sweepers.

Item

Leftovers. Doesnt need much explaining.

Azumaril
@ Choice Band

Ability: Huge Power

252 HP | 252 Atk | 4 Def

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

- Aqua Jet

- Waterfall

- Superpower

- Play Rough

ROLE

Beefcake power house. With a monstrous attack stat after Huge Power, Azumaril is one of the strongest pokes in the game to receive the fairy typing in my opinion. Strong priority STAB priority and access to the new Play Rough fairy move, makes this poke one of the most attractive of the generation.

MOVES

Aqua Jet provides strong STAB priority move. With Azumarils very lackluster speed it will be relying on this move to revenge anything that's been weakened. Waterfall is the strong STAB option and doesn't need much explanation. Superpower gives super effective coverage against popular Steel types (Ferrothorn) which would otherwise wall Azumaril. Play Rough is a new STAB option for Azumaril with its inherited Fairy typing of this generation. Provides Dragon, Dark, Fighting coverage as well as something to hit other water types with, something which it previously lacked in previous generations.

NATURE/EV's

Given Azumarils poor speed, I've opted for to enhance its innate bulk by maxing its HP. With base 80 in both defenses it can take favorable switch-ins with relative ease. Adamant is obvious for maximum Attack.

ITEM

Opted for Choice Band for raw power.

M.Lucario
@ Lucarionite

Ability: Adaptability

4 HP | 252 Sp.Atk | 252 Spe

Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Aura Sphere

- Flash Cannon

- Dark Pulse

- Vaccum Wave

ROLE

Surprise Motha*****. Special Lucario always has a bit of a surprise factor since most people generally expect physically based variants due to them being generally stronger options. But, with Flash Cannon and adaptability this poke has the ability to wreck a lot of the new Fairy threats introduced in this generation.

MOVES

Aura Sphere is the strong STAB option in this set. Wrecks common Steel types like Nattorei and a host of other common threats. M.Lucario probably has the strongest Flash Cannon in the game. With Adaptability this move hits like a truck and provides coverage against a lot of the new Fairy threats. Dark Pulse is revised from Dragon Pulse when i realized Aegislash completely walled this poke. Its pretty much a OHKO when it is in Sword Form and a solid 2-3HKO in shield form. With reflect support Luke can handle taking a few unboosted Sacred Swords. Vaccum Wave is a strong priority option for this set. After Adaptability it has the same power as Extremespeed would in a physical set whilst providing super-effective coverage against a lot of common pokes.

NATURE/EV's

Pretty straightforward offensive spread. Timid to maximize M.Lukes decent speed. With its monstrous 140 base Sp.Atk its probably overkill to max Sp.Atk.

ITEM

Lucarionite to enable Mega-Evolution

Espeon
@ Light Clay

Ability: Magic Bounce

252 HP | 4 Def | 252 Spe

Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Reflect

- Light Screen

- Psychic

- Wish

ROLE

Reflect EH and other annoying stuff while providing screen and wish support whilst being completely un-tauntable. Espeon has been one of the premier support pokes since it got Magic Bounce in Gen5 and nothing has changed.

MOVES

Reflect & Light Screen pretty much speak for themselves. They do well to make up for this teams somewhat lack of a high-tier defensive wall whilst also providing the room for more risky switch-ins and setups. Psychic is probably the its strongest attacking option. With the resurgence of poison types it provides good coverage against a lot of common pokes. Also people tend to forget Espeon's rather large Sp.Atk stat. With no EV investment it sits at 296 in a neutral nature. Wish gives extra longevity to the team. It ties in well with what Espeon will be doing most of the time (screen up, wish, switch).

NATURE/EV's

Maximizing Speed is somewhat essential to make sure you are ahead of as many pokes as possible when setting up screens. Because of Espeons fragility you want to be setting up Reflect asap or risk being 2HKO'd by almost any physical attacker. HP investment is again to counter its fragility and create larger Wish's.

ITEM

Light Clay is there to extend duration of screens.

Known Issues

- Flying Gem Gale Wings Talonflame Acrobatics

This thing is freaking rigged. My main qualm with this ties into my complaint earlier regarding the nurf to Suckerpunch. I havnt really got anything that can safely take the initial Fly Gem Acrobatics or Brave Bird. After it blows its load its not that much of an issue, Tentecruel and Spiritomb can manage it after that. If it leads i just blow Denchuras sash and Thunder it in the face. But if it comes out late game i really havnt got much to counter it given that it will beat Azumarils Aqua Jet.

- Goodra

This things bulk is freaking immense. My most reliable thing to smash it isAzumaril, but if its down i have to rely on Toxic Spikes being up and stalling it.

- Rotom-W

Luke can generally deal with this thing easily since it doesnt really care about the obvious willo that people will throw out when they see a Lucario. M.Luke Aura sphere decimates it. But if Luke is down i havn't got a great deal of options to deal with it other than bouncing a burn for residual damage and stalling.

Thanks for reading guys. As you can see its a pretty in-dept RMT lol. Appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)