ORAS Doubles OU Rain Team (Doubles)

So I built this team for fun and I have absolutely fallen in love with it. I just wanted to see any recommendations I could get to improve this team to get to a higher level.

Here's the team:
Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
We have Rain Dance on here to avoid that one turn solar beam from Mega-Charizard Y by changing the weather faster than it can hit with that choice scarf. I doubled up on 2 water moves in Hydro Pump and Scald (30% burn chance is also very nice) because the move pool for Politoed is eh and sometimes that extra damage from Hydro Pump can get you that OHKO. The Choice Scarf as well lets me out speed lots of faster Pokemon and hit them hard in the rain.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 164 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Giga Drain
This set is pretty self explanatory, we got Fake Out for that flinch first turn. With swift swim Ludicolo out speeds lots of faster Pokemon and the three moves gives good coverage. The Assault Vest gives Ludicolo solid bulk and with only attacking moves it fits in perfectly.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
Talonflame is here to deal with those steel types and to protect my Ferrothorn and Mamoswine from some of those deadly fighting pokemon. We have a choice band because we are running jolly to out speed the other Talonflames we will be up against. Talonflame basically counters anything that Kabutops, Ludicolo, and Mamoswine cannot.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
Ferrothorn another pretty self explanatory build, just a solid wall for my team especially in the rain to weaken that 4x weakness to fire type moves. The Rocky Helmet goes great with Iron Barbs for insane damage when a Pokemon uses a physical attack on him. Thunder Wave lets me cripple fast sweepers and take them out quite easily and power whip does great damage also.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Protect
Mamoswine is a great pivot for me with that deadly STAB Earthquake and the priority Ice Shard which is also a STAB. Icicle Crash is great for dealing damage and getting lots of flinches as well.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Protect
I have Politoed and Ludicolo carrying those special attack water moves so I figured to round it all off a physical attacking monster like Kabutops would be perfect. Kabutops is also great to deal with threats like Talonflame and Mega-Charizard Y with that STAB Stone Edge with his great speed in rain.

Last edited:
First off you need some pictures. Scarf Politoad is a cool set but defensive with sitrus berry or damp rock is much better. Ludicolo has an ass spread, you want it to be more offensive. Banded Talonflame shouldn't have WOW tailwind is a much better option. Stealth rocks and hazards in general are not very useful in doubles, so i would suggest leech seed or gyro ball(change t-wave if you put on gyro ball). Mamoswine doesn't really fit onto your team, so I would suggest putting on a Mega Metagross for Ferrothorn and adding a Hydreigon. And for Kabutops rock slide is better than stone edge in most cases (because flinches) and aqua jet is unnecessary because you are already super fast. Low kick, superpower, or even feint are viable options.

This Politoad spread lives an adamant double-edge from a Mega-Kangaskan(given to me by Hashtag Smogon :3) Because you have 2 swift swimmers, damp rock will probably be the item of choice.

Politoed @ Damp Rock/Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Protect

This Kabutops out speeds the ever so rare jolly scarf Landorus-T(in rain ofc) and basically the entire meta. For the fourth move slot any of those moves are viable and it's up to you on what you want to use.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Waterfall
- Protect
-Low Kick/Superpower, Feint, Knock Off

Standard Assault Vest Ludicolo

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Standard Band Talonflame, you could run steel wing over tailwind or even u-turn but that's just for Mega-Diancie, and your team has a decent match up against Mega-Diancie. You could also run some hp evs and take out some speed, but that's up to you.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Giving Mega-Metagross 16 hp evs lets it survive an adamant life orb sucker punch from Bisharp at full. You want 252 speed evs and jolly so you can outspeed Terrakion and Keldeo and speed tie with important things like Latios, Mega-Diancie, and Gengar.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Protect

Standard Hydreigon, taunt is primarily there to stop trick room setters and annoying mons like Ammoongus from sporing your shit.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt/Fire Blast
- Protect

Also props for using cool shit like Kabutops, I never see it ;___;

Thanks for the response! I like the idea of adding Hydreigon because trick room teams definitely mess up this team. Thanks for the new EV spreads on Kabutops and Ludicolo, will definitely change those. I'll also definitely try out Mega-Metagross, I use to love him and Black and White so I'll give that a shot and see how it works. Also, you're right with Kabutops I've been mainly using waterfall and aqua jet has been sitting there so with a extra cover move on him he is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Tailwind on Talonflame instead of WOW is definitely a better choice as well, thanks for the quick response! Kabutops is insane btw definitely my favorite Pokemon after using this team.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
deo's rate is great, but you should make the descriptions for each mon a bit longer, or the thread could get locked for not following rmt rules

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)