ORAS Doubles OU Rate my ORAS Doubles Team

Okay, as stated this team is exclusively for doubles. I would like to get some feedback from you guys :)

Tier: ORAS OU

Weavile
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Knock-Off
Icicle Crush
Taunt
Fake-Out

Mostly my lead as Weavile is the fastest fake out user (with the exception of drizzle ludicolo). When faced with a prankster user, taunt is very useful, specially when you can conveniently fake-out with Kanghaskhan too. Knock-Off is for STAB and crippling scarfed opponents. Icicle Crush is a heavy STAb with a chance to flinch enemies that are slower than Weavile (which is 90% of the other pokemons).

Kanghaskhan
Item: Kanghaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Moves: Fake-Out
Return
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch

My second lead is Kanghaskhan for a convenient double Fake-Out(STAB). Scrappy lets Kanghaskhan perform Fake-Out on ghost types. Return is a heavy STAB. Sucker Punch is for dealing with ghost types upon evolving and it also lets Mega Kanghaskhan hit opponents that outspeeds her when she's in a pinch. Drain Punch is for coverage and at the same time for sustain.

Talonflame
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Gale Wings
Moves: Brave Bird
Steel Wing
U-Turn
Flare Blitz

My kamikaze revenge killer. The priority Brave Bird is the most powerful STAB priority moves in game. The choice band and adamant nature gives talonflame the necessary power to OHKO most pokemons that doesn't resist Brave Bird. Steel Wing is for coverage against rock types. Flare Blitz is for coverage against steel types. U-Turn is for switching out against electric types talonflame can outspeed (would probably switch in garchomp).

Garchomp
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: Earthquake
Outrage
Iron Head
Rock Slide

Almost nothing can outspeed a scarfed Garchomp. I'd say Rough Skin is also a good ability, I just got tired of breeding garchomp that I settled with Sand Veil. Anyways, to justify my laziness, Sand Veil lets Garchomp benefit from enemy teams with Tyranitar. Earthquake is a heavy STAB. Outrage is also a heavy STAB. Iron Head deals with Ice and Fairy types. Rockslide deals with enemy talonflames/thundrous.

Gengar
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 6 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Dazzling Gleam

Basically a good switch in when predicting fighting moves targeted at either Weavile or Kanghaskhan. All the moves are STABs and coverages.

Aerodactyle
Item: Wide Lens
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Rock Slide
Iron Head
Sky Drop
Tailwind

Tailwind setter that also deals with trick room setters. Since Aerodactyle is faster than weavile it can easily Sky Drop a potential Trick Room setter the first turn (while weavile fake-outs the other pokemon). The following turn, Aerodactyle releases the setter just to be convenienly taunted by weavile. Iron Head and Rock Slide are damaging moves with a chance to make the opponent flinch.

Your team doesn't look bad for a start. Although not all mons require the move Protect, some really do. For a start, I recommend that you put Protect on a Weavile since Inner Focus Kang or Choice Lando can be definite threats, especially considering that your Weavile is holding Life Orb (the best item for it in my opinion). Nevertheless, if you really want Taunt, which I recommend that you keep, then it should be placed on Gengar. Remember, Gengar should have Protect too since it is also quite fragile. And although I'm not against Kang's Drain Punch, Low Kick or Power-up-Punch is definitely better against the more popular mons of the metagame.

Now, it is worth mentioning that Choice Landorus-t outclassed Garchomp. Intimidate on both opposing Mons, stronger attack output, and u-turn, a way to maintain momentum, is all what makes this Mon a S-rank nomination. To be honest, Sand is not a common threat and usually not used in the higher player/ladder level. Outrage ain't reliable either as it forces you to attack randomly and continously, and all the oponent have to do is switch in a Fairy type.

Lastly, I suggest that you replace Aerodactyl as it is very niche in comparison to Landorus-t or your potential Garchomp replacement. Instead, you team would benefit from having a water check other than Kang. In your case, Zapdos may be a better option since it fulfills that role and provide your team with speed control as you initially intended to have. Well, these changes (if you are going to use it) should help you more against the better portion of the metagame. I may add more to this as I was doing this rate through my phone. HF!

Last edited:
Thank you, my weavile usually OHKO's enemy Landrous(T)'s specially when Kang can Fake-Out on the first turn as Landrous also lacks protect. I'm probably going to keep taunt as most people also lead with prankster pokemons.

I was thinking of adding competitive milotic to my team, as the usual threats I have encountered are intimidate based teams. I might replace Aerodactyle for this matter. Or Should I go with Special attacker Zapdos instead?

Thank you for your thoughts on replacing Garchomp with Landrous, I might do that. Though I find it particullarly hard to look for a good nature/good IVs Landrous :(

"Experienced" players will just switch their Landorus-t cause they know Weavile and Kang's sets; you're obviously talking about inexperienced players here.

Stick to Zapdos, or switch to Rotom-W if you really want to have a water type move. Will-o-wisp works well with Rotom-W as check to strong physical attackers.

You can look through Smogon Dex for specific and successfully tested sets (EVs, moves, etc.) Remember to look in the Doubles category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)