ORAS Ubers Rate My Team (Gar Nye the Trapping Guy)

About a year ago, I decided to try Competitive Ubers instead of OU. Simply put, I wanted to use more powerful pokemon and get away from the stall base that was mega sableye, chansey and skarmory. Thus, I decided to see what mayham (sarcasm) I could cause in Ubers. Thus, this team was born.

Mega Gengar is a terrifying pokemon, has no true counters (by definition), and is what the team is built around. Its role as a trapper and powerful special attacker is irreplaceable and all teams must prepare for it. Its also able to trade itself with Destiny Bond for a more dangerous mon should the situation require it. Thus, every other mon on this team is built around it, whether theyre supporting, opening holes, or weakening mons for it to pick off. Shadow ball and sludge wave are used for STAB and were more useful for me than Focus Miss. Protect mega evolves safely and helps with predictions.

Next, Ho-oh, the big bird. Ho-oh's STAB moves are both powerful and unique in ubers as a physical attacker. Regenerator is huge to mitigate chip damage and keep it healthy from brave bird. The big bird also helps deal with Darkrai, a pokemon I absolutely hate to verse and often panic when I see it in Preview. Choice Band is non-negotiable as I want the big bird to punch holes and regenerator tends to be enough to heal it. It also checks Xerneas, Mewtwo, and helps eliminate Lugia's multi scale should sacred fire burn.

Next, we have Arceus, the god of pokemon. Originally, I used Ground Arceus but I soon found out I needed more priority and help with Xerneas and other Extreme Killers. This is generally my win-con and back-up revenge killer should Gengar be unable to revenge kill. Extreme killer is difficult and tricky to take down since +2 priority and STAB are in one move. Usually, I am able to get that lovely swords dance up and make Him even more dangerous. Life orb is used over lum berry to deal as much damage as possible.

The king of Ubers, Primal Groudon. Originally, he was my second choice for the team since, well, he's just that good. Much like the Snorlax of Gen 2, Primal Don is just too good to pass up for ubers. Stealth Rock is the best move in the game and helps my team deal with Ho-oh and get various chip damage. PG has both stab moves on here, Blades for power, Lava Plume for burns. Dragon Tail is used to hit Lati twins on the switch and shuffle the opponent, although Roar is useful if you want to phaze Xerneas and substitutes. He is also the best Kyogre counter in the game.

Coming up fifth is Latios as my Defog user and Dragon-STAB abuser. I needed a defog user and powerful special attacker to help check PG and other physically defensive pokemon. Soul Dew is just broken for Latios. Draco Meteor should destroy the planet when used by him. Psyshock is for those pesky fairy mons and for when you get bored of dropping Dracos. Roost provides recovery. I know Latias might seem more useful due to Healing Wish, but it misses out on alot of firepower. For instance, Primal Groudon must be heavily invested in Sp Def to avoid the OHKO after rocks. Any non fairy or specially defensive mon gets their lunch money stolen by this guy.

Finally, the backbone and (sort of) defensive mon. Yveltal helps check (or even just damage) Extreme Killer when rocks is not up and provides Flying STAB and priority. Dark and Flying are great offensive types that also help check (or counter) opposing Mega Gengars, Blaziken, Aegislash, Giratina, Lucario, Mewtwo (All three variants, lacking stone edge on X), and Shaymin all in one. Dark Pulse and Sucker punch are ridiculous behind STAB, life orb and dark arua. Oblivion wing provides recovery and helps mitigate Life Orb recoil. Foul Play can be used over Heat Wave to beat those annoying physical attackers like Extreme Arceus, Mega Mence and Primal Groudon. However, roasting Scizor, Genesect and Ferrothorn and other steel types is really useful.

IMPORT
ITS THE CLAP!! (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Feel the BERN (Ho-Oh) @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Youre slow (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Kyogre's Daddy (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Dragon Tail

Blue Jet (Latios) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Death from Above (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave

THREATLIST

Stealth Rock: While it sounds weird for a threatlist, this destroys Ho-oh, my check to most of the big name threats. All opposing SR setters are usually beat quickly and I try to defog fast so I can switch the Big Bird in.

Arceus Normal: Extreme Killer is my best friend and one of the worst enemies I have. If Ho-oh is at full health, brave bird will be enough to beat it at +2 with some prior damage. Usually, Mega Gengar helps deal with it, but it must be sacked. Speed ties are unreliable, but a last resort should it come down to it.

Darkrai: I hate this mon. Period. Dark Void hits too much for 80% accuracy and Ho-oh doesnt check/counter all variants. Plus, if sleep talk uses earthquake, Darkrai lives. My mons are mostly unable to outspeed him so all damage helps. Although, the more support moves, the easier time I have since itll be less likely it carries Thunder.

Deoxys: Its power is probably more than Latios with a life orb and its large movepool means I have no real counters, just a few of checks. SR breaks focus sash so I try to keep that up if I see one, even if it means no defog and an injured Ho-oh. Extreme Speed and Sucker Punch help a lot to mitigate the alien.

Giratina: Tanks lots of hits and defogs my rocks. Dragon tail doesnt help either since it could get Ho-oh in on rocks possibly. Not a super major threat, but annoying. It can escape trapping which is annoying.

Groudon: The one, the only, King of Ubers. His large movepool doesnt help me either as dragon coverage beats Latios, my main check, stone edge deats Ho-oh and Yveltal, and ground moves beat Mega Gengar. Usually, I use his lack of recovery to my advantage.

Ho-oh: Rocks will beat it but otherwise, I need my faster threats to hit it hard and fast. Stone edge on Arceus helps punch opposing Big Birds.

Lugia: One word, Multiscale. Burns help but Gengar beats it. Usually, I try to pivot him in safely when I predict a roost and fire away with Shadow Ball. Doesnt OHKO at 99% but it still does the job. Stealth Rock also gets a free turn in since it doesnt want to take an attack without Multiscale.

Rayquaza: Dragon Dance is a pain in the butt. Extreme Killer helps bop the air god on the head, but other than that, chip damage.

Xernaes: I hate this mon just as much as Darkrai, maybe less because Darkrai has been around longer. Honestly, I need one of my two fire types to effectively deal with it. Other than that, Extreme Killer needs a boat load of help to revenge kill.

SHOUTOUTS:
None really since I have no friends on showdown or that good at pokemon offline. My roommate Dom helped alot with questioning why certain moves are used which made me think about it more and helped team build.

P.S. If anyone can help get those animated sprites on here, that would make this read more enjoyable.

Attachments

Last edited:
Gengar / Ho-Oh / Ekiller / Primal-Groudon / Latios / Yveltal

Hi, I am here to give you a rate.

Your team seems quite interesting, but it lacks a Ho-Oh check. Ho-Oh destroys your whole team on a switch-in, which is bad. To fix this weakness, I would recommand using a CM Arceus-Rock > Ekiller. Arceus-Rock helps you patching the Ho-Oh weakness, but it can also help against Mega-Salamence, Rayquaza and gives you an interesting win condition.
Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment

What I can also see is your Ekiller weakness. You basically have no switch-in and your opponent can click Shadow Claw on the Gengar switch if they play well. Therefore, I would recommand using a Defensive version of Yveltal. It would help you check the threat that Ekiller is to your team. Charti Berry is used so you can be able to tank Ekiller's and Primal Groudon's Stone Edge, mainly.
Yveltal @ Charti Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Taunt

Also, I think that this Gengar-Mega set is a bit subpar and could be replaced by a more useful Hex Trapper. It would help you even better against Ekiller without having to sack it (thanks to Focus Blast), but it can also help against Kangaskhan-Mega and other threats.
Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Another change, although minor, would be to use Thunder Wave > Dragon tail on Primal-Groudon to check Xerneas better, and stop it from sweeping your team.

Good luck with your team, and I hope I helped.

Last edited:
Hai there!
In my personal opinion since your team is a Bulky Offense you shouldn't be worried about too many threats that can affect your team, you're already covering the most common threats such as Ekiller(revenged by Gengar) Xerneas (Ho-Oh and PDon) and Darkrai (Ho-Oh as sleep talker absorber).
Alright, If you're looking for more offensive pressure I suggest you to take out Yveltal and use Xerneas Geomancy this pokémon can act as a cool late game cleaner; the set I am recommending has Hidden Power Rock to lure opposing Ho-Ohs and it also has Aromatherapy that helps when your mons are affected by status moves or when Thunder Wave tries to stop GeoXern.
Continuing with the rest, I respect the roll of Arceus-Normal but Diancie can be really annoying because it 2HKOs every pokémon, unfortunately you don't have any solid switch in, I'd suggest Groundceus but you've explained that you had Arceus-Ground (I think it fits perfectly well here) and why it was replaced by Ekiller so if you want to keep Ekiller run Recover over Earthquake to restore its health and have a better matchup against Diancie; you can also consider bulky EVs on it this allows you to survive 2HKOs moves and Adamant Nature for more damage.

Lastly, some small suggestions ~
Groudon-Primal: Use Thunder Wave instead of Dragon Tail to stop sweepers such as Xerneas or Arceus Support and many others.
Consider Icy Wind over Sludge Wave on Gengar with this move you can trap Salamence/Rayquaza to prevent the boost, aside from that, it helps a lot vs Deoxys-S Icy Wind drop its speed and after this you can send Latios since you're faster than Deo-S you can Defog infront of it and procede to kill it.
Hex over Shadow Ball this move works better for your team, for example, if Lugia or Arceus Supports get paralyzed by PDon or burned by Ho-Oh you can trap them and the Hex damage will increase offering OHKO or 2HKOs after rocks.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 44 Def / 232 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Hope I helped, good luck with your team. n_n
Oh and you can find pokémon sprites here: http://www.pokestadium.com/tools/sprites

Gengar / Ho-Oh / Ekiller / Primal-Groudon / Latios / Yveltal

Hi, I am here to give you a rate.

Your team seems quite interesting, but it lacks a Ho-Oh check. Ho-Oh destroys your whole team on a switch-in, which is bad. To fix this weakness, I would recommand using a CM Arceus-Rock > Ekiller. Arceus-Rock helps you patching the Ho-Oh weakness, but it can also help against Mega-Salamence, Rayquaza and gives you an interesting win condition.
Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment

What I can also see is your Ekiller weakness. You basically have no switch-in and your opponent can click Shadow Claw on the Gengar switch if they play well. Therefore, I would recommand using a Defensive version of Yveltal. It would help you check the threat that Ekiller is to your team. Charti Berry is used so you can be able to tank Ekiller's and Primal Groudon's Stone Edge, mainly.
Yveltal @ Charti Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Taunt

Also, I think that this Gengar-Mega set is a bit subpar and could be replaced by a more useful Hex Trapper. It would help you even better against Ekiller without having to sack it (thanks to Focus Blast), but it can also help against Kangaskhan-Mega and other threats.
Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Another change, although minor, would be to use Thunder Wave > Dragon tail on Primal-Groudon to check Xerneas better, and stop it from sweeping your team.

Good luck with your team, and I hope I helped.
Thanks for your help!

From my personal experience, I dislike using focus miss because Gengar will be unreliable to check Normal Arceus. 70% accuracy is not fun, especially since Ill just get EQ or Shadow Clawed in the face. I do like the idea of Hex, but then thunder wave (on PDon) must be used (which Im ok with).

Also, doesnt running RocCeus open me up to Kyogre much more? PDon is good, but he cant switch in every time.

Looking for all the feedback I can get

Hai there!
In my personal opinion since your team is a Bulky Offense you shouldn't be worried about too many threats that can affect your team, you're already covering the most common threats such as Ekiller(revenged by Gengar) Xerneas (Ho-Oh and PDon) and Darkrai (Ho-Oh as sleep talker absorber).
Alright, If you're looking for more offensive pressure I suggest you to take out Yveltal and use Xerneas Geomancy this pokémon can act as a cool late game cleaner; the set I am recommending has Hidden Power Rock to lure opposing Ho-Ohs and it also has Aromatherapy that helps when your mons are affected by status moves or when Thunder Wave tries to stop GeoXern.
Continuing with the rest, I respect the roll of Arceus-Normal but Diancie can be really annoying because it 2HKOs every pokémon, unfortunately you don't have any solid switch in, I'd suggest Groundceus but you've explained that you had Arceus-Ground (I think it fits perfectly well here) and why it was replaced by Ekiller so if you want to keep Ekiller run Recover over Earthquake to restore its health and have a better matchup against Diancie; you can also consider bulky EVs on it this allows you to survive 2HKOs moves and Adamant Nature for more damage.

Lastly, some small suggestions ~
Groudon-Primal: Use Thunder Wave instead of Dragon Tail to stop sweepers such as Xerneas or Arceus Support and many others.
Consider Icy Wind over Sludge Wave on Gengar with this move you can trap Salamence/Rayquaza to prevent the boost, aside from that, it helps a lot vs Deoxys-S Icy Wind drop its speed and after this you can send Latios since you're faster than Deo-S you can Defog infront of it and procede to kill it.
Hex over Shadow Ball this move works better for your team, for example, if Lugia or Arceus Supports get paralyzed by PDon or burned by Ho-Oh you can trap them and the Hex damage will increase offering OHKO or 2HKOs after rocks.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 44 Def / 232 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Hope I helped, good luck with your team. n_n
Oh and you can find pokémon sprites here: http://www.pokestadium.com/tools/sprites
Thanks for your help!

Doesnt taking Yveltal (for Xernaes) out leave me (more) open to Genesect and Mega Luke and extreme killer to an extent?
I havent had too much trouble with Mega Diancie since Arceus and Gengar boop it on the head but I will keep an eye out since that does look like a big threat now that you mention it.
I have flirted with using Xernaes just because it offers so much power. Its kind of a one use mon though which Id rather have all my mons work together to check various threats. Just from my playstyle Ive worked better with that but who knows? Maybe I need a more offensive mon.
I do really like Icy Wind since Sludge Wave is for FairyCeus (uncommon) and Xernaes, but its hard to hit it before a boost. Overall, more utility.

Accepting all suggestions!

AND THANKS FOR THOSE SPRITES!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)