Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-turn
-Superpower

This RMT is a Doubles Format team.

Suggestions for improvement are welcomed

Thank You!

Hey ! so first thing to point out is that the rmt rules indicate that you should have at least a 3 line description on each pokemon for the rmt to be kept open.

onto the actual team, what you have there is called THALK. THALK is:

T: Thundurus
H: Heatran
A: Amoonguss
L: Landorus-therian
K: Kangaskhan-mega

this is the most classical doubles ou team format that I know of, actually. THALK generally has latios contested as the most viable last member of the team, tho you seem to have milotic.

However the sets you have arent quite the standard ones. Kangaskhan has protect here, but i recommend fake out. The reason behind this is that protect kangaskhan's niche is when you have a transform user with it, and kangaskhan uses power-up-punch. protect is not bad on its own, but the fake out support gives good opportunities, like faking out slower things like hariyama/scrafty/hitmontop, fake outing a ghost trick room setter like jellicent , or the rare dusclops, sometimes aegislash (who gets stuck in attack form), or portentially breaking a gengar's sash. it also gives a substitue opportunity for heatran, and landorus a chance to u-turn and gaining good momentum. low kick/power-up-punch is a choice, so both work. seimic toss is sometimes used too.

Heatran is running hp over spAtk, which i personally dont like, but its just me. i dont like having a weaker heatwave since the spred damage nerf in the doubles format alone is too big for me. I advise against this. Earth power>flash cannon is my main change though. you're going to tell me about how the team is very fairy weak, and it's true, its vulnerable to fairies, but I think heatran's presence alone is enough to discourage them, flash cannon not really affecting much of what heatran's going to do. On the other hand, you lose heatran mirrors very easily, lose the ability to catch a volcanion switch with a predicted earth power, and ground coverage is just more solid than steel coverage. I also dont like timid heatran for the same reason I disagree with the hp investement, but it is a thing that I acknowledge exists in the meta.

Amoonguss looks pretty standard, tho i'd prefer the physically defensive variant because you already have milotic covering the spDef department. It also helps sponging Kangaskhan-mega's attacks a lot better, which you run rocky helmet to further discourage. rocky helmet+physical bulk is good.

I'm not a personal fan of milotic since i find it too passive for doubles, and more suited for vgc where if they choose landorus, he'll be coming in more often, allowing competitive to be a lot better. Indeed, your set is mostly a speed control one, with some evs that I have no clue what they do, so im not going to give any advice here. Maybe do try latios instead.

Thundurus 252 SpDef are something quite new to me, as i've seen bulky thundurus, offensive thundurus, and even in between thundurus, diancie check thundurus even, but not a spdef one. i am not quite sure what it accomplishes, but i really recomend the standard bulky one, for its more well-rounded performance. It seems to me more that spDef thundurus could be hard to have it carry it's own weight in particuarly physical match-ups, and not so well performing offensively in others. the moveset is fine tho, so yeah mostly standard bulky thundurus would be my choice

Landorus-therian is the iconic doubles ou pokemon, and it's just fine on this team. My personal preference is to run 184 Speed EVs for two reasons:
-Landorus-therian aquires a slower uturn that's still faster than most pokemon, allowing you to grab momentum when there are two landorus in the feild, and they both click uturn. going last means having the choice of sending out a pokemon that handles both of what the opponent has on the field, having used up their "uturn". faster landorus mostly is for rocksliding other landoruses first, fishing for a mirror match win, and in desperate cases flinches, which I am not a fan of in either cases, since I dont 1v1 landorus with my own landorus, nor do I like resorting to that (even if I admit doing it when I find it my biggest chance to win)

-184 speed evs let it outspeed gengar-mega, according to Yellow Paint which I find to be the fastest relevant pokemon to prepare for in the meta. there is deoxys-attack, but I dont find it worth it maxing speed just to prepare for one single pokemon (that you're gonna only end up breaking's sash with u turn anyways)

Sooo overall, it's classic THALK, but the evs on the pokemon renders this version a bit too passive, at least for me, which I would recommend changing. remember to add 3 line descriptions per pokemon dude, and goodluck in your adventures the doubles format !

PS: should you need anything, I hang out in the doubles ou room and would be happy to help if I can. have a good day! :)

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
edit: wow thanks for sniping+tagging me swablu, also there's nothing wrong with 252spe lando, it's just the personal preference between bulk+slower u turn and faster rock slides.
——————
Hey, according to rmt rules you have to write at least three lines of description per team member so raters can better understand your team. If you don't add descriptions, a moderator will lock your thread.

Regardless, your team is fairly vanilla thalk kangstuff so the overall team purpose is straightforward as well. Your sets and spreads need a little work, and you're very weak to kyurem-b.

Objective Improvements:
Earth Power > Flash Cannon on Heatran;
without earth power, heatran can't touch volcanion, opposing heatran, and wide guard aegislash, among other things. Flash cannon is only really a stab with mediocre coverage except for non-diancie fairies, which you already beat anyway.

Double-Edge > Return on Kangaskhan or Power up Punch > Low Kick; you're currently low kick over PuP, which means that you want immediate power rather than longevity on kang. In the same way, double edge offers more immediate power than return by grabbing some extra ohkos at the cost of recoil, which doesn't matter as much as you'd think because very few mons ohko kang and most neutral attacks do 40-60%, so dedge won't put you in range of an ohko. On the other hand, if you're not a fan of dedge or were just originally aiming for a long-term kang, try out PuP. It boosts the power of all your attacks, making your sucker punch much more useful, helps you recover from Intimidate, and makes it much easier to break kang walls like diancie and jirachi.

this Thundy set;
Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
All I did was replace your 252/252 bulky thundy with the standard set, but there are a few reasons why this is better. For one, your team's only true lando checks are milotic and your own lando, so hp ice is fairly important for not absolutely caving in to rock slide flinches. Also, the more physically defensive spread lets you live some more common physical attacks, notably double edge kang, diancie diamond storm, and the 4hko from lando rock slide. Also, this spread is modest which lets you better check volcanion and rotom-w.

Your Conundrum:
As it stands, your team, and most defensive style thalk teams in general, can't cover all of their harder matchups with lando-t, kyurem-b, diancie, and certain combos with jirachi. My personal preference would be to replace milotic with keldeo and convert bulky thundurus to offensive thundurus, which outspeeds and ohkos diancie.
Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect
This would give you more options to beat diancie, kyurem-b, and opposing kang, but at the cost of less stability. In general, offensive teams use stronger but frailer attackers and rely more on prediction to deal with threats. In the same way, keld now much more strongly covers your kang, kyube, and hydrei matchup, but you add a fairy weakness and lose out on icy wind speed control. Thundy can now outspeed and ohko diancie, but with a misprediction you now die to diamond storm.

Of course, as it stands your team isn't equipped to deal with kyurem-b at all, so it's better to have the ability to beat it and rely more on your prediction skill for general success. The above paragraph is more of a warning than anything that battles between offensive teams are more likely to hinge on single turns. If you really don't like keldeo, try out suicune for tailwind and a more defensive approach to beating dragons and others with snarl. Good luck!

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Snarl

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
The team, for the most part, looks pretty fine to me. It's p much a matter of polishing it further, there are things you can do to make it function better. The build itself is solid, I'd say the Pokemon all fit there, and it doesn't look weak to anything in particular.

Next change I suggest is Earth Power over Flash Cannon on Heatran. It's more useful as it gives you better matchups all around, letting it hit opposing Heatran, Volcanion, and Aegislash spamming Wide Guard while still hitting Mega Diancie. You already have a good matchup against Fairies anyway with your Heatran, Mega Kangakshan, and Landorus-T, making SE coverage for them unnecessary.

Next would be running Fake Out over Protect and Double Edge over Return on Mega Kangaskhan. A Mega Kangaskhan build running Low Kick is traditionally aimed at dealing as much damage as possible against a significant number of threats so running the more powerful damaging STAB makes more sense for you, helping it do its job of taking out stuff much more effectively. Fake Out is there in order to just get momentum and give teammates free turns, like giving Heatran a chance to Sub. You could also run PuP over LK instead and keep Return, but your team would appreciate something that can quickly take out foes more.

Last change would be on your Thundurus, just a matter of making it more efficient. Change the spread to 244 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 20 Spe and nature to Modest. This spread lets it take Mega Diancie's Diamond Storm and LO Latios's Draco Meteor, giving it sufficient enough bulk to do its job. Also, run HP Ice over Protect, bulky Thundurus doesn't really need it as much as offensive and you'll appreciate another way of hitting Landorus-T.
Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

GL :heart:.

PS: Be mindful of the subforum's rules next time :( You need 3 lines of description per mon

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'll have to lock this for the time being as the RMT rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain your choices and their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the kind of detail and format we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)