ORAS Doubles OU Rock Doubles OU 60-40% Team for College Elite Four Slot

So first and foremost I would like to say that rock is flat out my favorite typing due to it's natural bulk and habit to be physically offensive but also learn a lot of special moves to throw people off. Rules at my college are no box art or event based legendaries, and I must have at least 4 rock typing pokemon on my team. So without further ado here we go:
Also thanks to pokestadium.com for the sprites :)

Gigalith (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Upon first becoming a rock type player for a mono team I made the idea of using a mono fossil team for triples. That team had a rampardos which hits like an absolute truck, however, it is quite a massive glass cannon. So I decided to look for another pokemon to fill it's place and low and behold we see the PU tier pokemon Gigalith. Now I'm not sure how many of you know but this thing packs a disgustingly high attack stat of 135, a defense of 130, and a respectable 85 health, and 80 special defense (120 in sand). Now yes it has an abysmal speed of 25, but that's not important. This thing is lead with my Tyranitar, and whenever people see a tyranitar and a Gigalith, everyone will focus the hell out of the Tyranitar. Also for anyone who has seen this thing, I guarantee the first thing it tends to do is throw stealth rocks at you. That's not my plan. We want to decimate your health bar with a sand force stab and choice banded rock slide. For those who don't wish to do the calculations. You're looking at a 405 attack stat hitting you with a multiplier of 2.925. This thing WILL destroy those who do not be wary of it, and why would they be wary on it they never see it. The other 3 moves are there for raw power and type coverage. Yes, I have thought of assault vesting this thing, no I will not swap until proven that this choice band is bad. The main choice of moves is that split damage rock slide for disgusting amounts of damage. Also I have a shiny 5 IV Roggenrola in my Alpha sapphire I bred the other day, so hence the splash being shiny :D

Tyranitar-Mega (F) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Yes, you are seeing this correct, this is a special attacking Mega-Tyranitar. Now you may ask why I would be so stupid as to not abuse it's base 164 attack stat when mega. Meet my enemies who I like to call Lando-T, and prankster Sabeleye. When leading my Gigalith and Tyranitar the enemy looks and sees my assumed to be Mega, and a tanky pile of rock. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. the prankster will-o-wisp is used on our good old friend Mega-Tyranitar. So we decided screw it. We would run a special variant of Tyranitar. This one can OHKO our good old friend Lando-T who everyone and their mother loves to use, tanky Gliscors, Scizors who try to set up thinking they're safe, lead Ferrothorns (while taking no recoil from barbs rocky helmet), and many other commonly seen dragon pokemon on doubles. If it's sashed or not a OHKO then Gigalith follows afterwards with rock slide most of the time and so they die then. The main focus of this Tyranitar is to look like a much bigger threat than the true threat of the Gigalith and to be able to surprise the ever prevalent intimidate and burn users. Not to mention that it brings sand to a rock team who loves their 50% special defense boost and sand force on the Gigalith. Also, because I made this a slow Tyranitar if there is a mega Charizard Y I will get the weather in my favor as long as we both mega on the same turn. All in all, this is a core pokemon on the team and unless you give a VERY hefty amount of evidence as to why I should run my near always lowered physical stat of special I'll remain special.

Cradily (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Sandstorm
- Barrier

Storm. Drain. People are dumb and always forget this is a thing until they get hit by it and realize they just boosted this bulky little guy. It's move set is there to be an annoying staller on the field and it has won a 1v2 off of just getting 1 barrier off and being a monstrous tank. The IVs are made to get that extra boost from leftovers and recover and I chose special defense since I have the barrier to get more defense if I need to; however, it's main threat is ice moves which tend to be special defense. Giga drain is there to then return kill with a 1.5x special attack grass move which tends to clear off my main threats of the water types who become obsolete with this storm drain threat. Also it has sandstorm without a smooth rock because the leftovers is stronger.

Gemstone (Carbink) @ Light Clay
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat

My little gemstone. Sets up the reflect counterpart to the sandstorm boost for the special defense. This thing also runs the stealth rocks if I ever need to. And it runs the trick room which causes a huge tempo swing for my slow team to start destroying. This thing helps the Gigalith go first and kill everything even easier. Also magic coat is a really underrated move to bounce back taunts and any status or hazards. Not too much else to say about this little guy. Just a rock type support.

Gengar (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

I was between Aegislash and good old basic Gengar. At the end of the day I think I value the levitate a little bit more than the weakness to ground that way if I need to earthquake or I sense one coming I can be immune. My thoughts behind this is the fighting, normal, and semi ground immunity. Swap in on a known superpower focusing at the Tyranitar and then revenge kill with a full speed investment on either of the stab moves or take down a dragon/dark with a dazzling gleam. The trick is replaceable with taunt; however, I like the flexibility to shut down a pokemon that relies on coverage or supporting with the trick of the specs. Just a preference but it can be swapped.

Arcanine (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 72 SpA / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Snarl
- Overheat
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Basic support Arcanine taken from Wolfe Glick's perish trap team. It is there to be a nuisance and to stat drop the enemy in the main part. Also because I am running a rock team, grass is a weakness and so we have a nice overheat for them. Other than that it's made to be bulky and to be a stat drop machine for doubles. It is entirely replaceable if a good alternative is given.

This team is currently 12-3 at the moment. Feel free to give all comments to help the team. :D

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, I kind of want to rate this team, but tbh what is the theme behind this one. I mean like you are saying, you want to use mono-rock but you are still using 2 mons which are not rock type. So, do you intend to keep 4 as rock types or is it flexible. I'm asking this only because I hate messing up themed teams just for the sake of competitive play.

Ah! I see that you found the right place to post your team!

Anyways, although you may like Rock types and think that you're throwing people off by using Special moves rather than Physical moves, it really doesn't throw experienced players that much. After all and no offense, experienced players are well-aware that teams that are not built up to standard may have some gimmick or other non-standard sets. Like your Mega Tyranitar and Arcanine, we are cautious players and use the move Protect as common practices/means of this meta-game (Doubles OU).

Well, I must admit the hard truth. In a meta-game where Speed is everything and Doubles mechanic alters the viability of what seems to be good Singles's set is not a place where the majority of your mons will thrive. (Yes, I'm aware that you have Trick Room, but any experienced player would guess that your Carbink has it.) Also, the usage of four Rock types + one Fire type + one Fragile mon leaves your team heart-breakingly weak to Rain Teams (even though you have Cradily), Fighting types (yes, some use Knock Off, so your Gengar ain't safe either), and Landorus-T (a S-Rank mon that spams Earthquake).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now, I'm going to give even a greater in-depth analysis of your team. It is often agreed amongst experienced players that having two Choice items users in a team means that the builder is either crazy or gutsy. However, by showing that you're using Choice Band on Gigalith, an extremely slow mon that needs Protect during non-Trick Room turns, and Choice Specs on a fragile mon like Gengar, you're showing us that you don't understand the Doubles meta-game that well. Some other things to note about your team is that your Semi-Trick Room has no support (Fake Out, Rage Powder / Follow Me, etc.) what so ever to guarantee a Trick Room against experienced players and that Excadrill is the best Sand abuser in the meta-game although it is still outclassed by Landorus-T. Also, moves like Barrier, Reflect, and Magic Guard is usually useless since this meta-game is more quick-paced and that much more offensive than Singles; Taunt is also common, so you won't find much option to use them anyways, especially on Carbink. And remember that VGC and Doubles OU has different rules and ban lists; Arcanine was trained to eliminate specific threats of the VGC metagame, not the Doubles OU metagame. (Other useful info: although hazard moves are extremely uncommon, Stealth Rock is usually reserved for teams that are weak to Talonflame and/or Mega Charizard-Y.)

By this point you may want to counter my argument, but the threats you mention (Ex. Gliscor, Sableye, Scizor, etc.) are just popular mons that the Lower Ladder / Inexperienced Players use, and most of yours mons (as I mentioned earlier) are outclassed by even more viable mons. Landorus-T, which I like to call as one-mon "Sand", outclasses all of your four Rock types, leaving room for three other slots, but considering that you like Rock types, Mega Diancie is not a bad choice either (... in fact, an excellent choice). Some tournament-proven teams even use both of these mons, and they're not bad at all. Also, Cradily is outclassed by Gastrodon, a great anti-meta mon that has good synergy with mons like Landorus-T and Mega Diancie. It also has the ability Storm Drain which increases the Special Attack of its more relevant STAB moves, Water and Ground as opposed to Grass. And if you're planning to use Mega Diancie, which I recommend in Pokemon Showdown, using Aegislash rather than Gengar as you initially wanted is not a bad idea. Its Wide Guard support (blocks spread moves), role as a pivot (especially for Grass types if you think about Mega Diancie and Gastrodon's weakness), and occasional role as an Amoonguss check (through Safety Goggles) all adds up to creating a more reliable team.

At this point, the team still needs reliable answers to Grass and Water types. First of all, I recommend using Kyurem-Black since it completely ignores the ability of Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W. However, you still need a way eliminate Ferrothorn, which walls Kyurem-B. Without an doubt, Talonflame would be the best mon for the job. Despite the recoil, it still eliminates Ferrothorn while providing a reliable switch-in for (Choice Scarf) Landorus-T's Earthquake as well as possible Earth Power. In addition, it provides priority Brave Bird to check Trick Room teams to an extent and priority Tailwind which the majority of your team may enjoy. For your last option, I recommend using Thundurus to give you a more solid answer Water types / Rain abusers, Trick Room setters, and other Status moves users (such as Aegislash, Jirachi, and Amoonguss). Thundurus also provides Speed Control in the form of Thunder Wave, thus reducing the speed of one's mon by a milestone. Well, I hope that you will enjoy the team that I made for you, and welcome to Smogon / Pokemon Showdown! If you have any other questions, then feel free to PM me or talk to other experienced players in the "Smogon Doubles" chatroom. Cheers~

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Gastrodon-East @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Great... Elite Four (Didn't put that on the original thread.)
You can use this as resource: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-doubles-mega-thread.3570642/
However, just note that Mega Diancie and Terrakion are the only viable Rock types in the Doubles OU meta-game, and the resource that I gave you considers Rock types as the worst type of the meta-game. GL.

Last edited:
I understand that my team is off meta based on the standard doubles OU; however, this is in the title for my college elite four and all box arts and event pokemon along with a few others are banned from play. We also function with the fact that to win the elite four you have to beat all four of us with one team, and we are not all strictly doubles. This year there was a grass triples, a fighting doubles, a ground doubles, and a psychic singles. Also like I said the team has to be 60-40 where 4 are rock typing and 2 are non rock types. This is not made to be some ladder climbing doubles OU team its an oddball gimmick team that is made to throw people off at my college with the 20 or so people that tend to compete to be the champion there. For example, my current team that I used to beat the elite four is lando-t, mega salamance, whimsicott, mamoswine, lickilicky, and a malamar. This team was made to specifically counter out certain gimmicks each elite four member had to gain the champion spot this semester. So I see what you're saying with the complete meta team you gave importable to climb a ladder with. But this is not made for that, it's made to be a gimmicky team that is made to throw a wrench at those at my college. Also you made it go from a 4 rock type that work in sandstorm, to a 1 rock type event pokemon that is completely unusable in my league.

I understand that my team is off meta based on the standard doubles OU; however, this is in the title for my college elite four and all box arts and event pokemon along with a few others are banned from play. We also function with the fact that to win the elite four you have to beat all four of us with one team, and we are not all strictly doubles. This year there was a grass triples, a fighting doubles, a ground doubles, and a psychic singles. Also like I said the team has to be 60-40 where 4 are rock typing and 2 are non rock types. This is not made to be some ladder climbing doubles OU team its an oddball gimmick team that is made to throw people off at my college with the 20 or so people that tend to compete to be the champion there. For example, my current team that I used to beat the elite four is lando-t, mega salamance, whimsicott, mamoswine, lickilicky, and a malamar. This team was made to specifically counter out certain gimmicks each elite four member had to gain the champion spot this semester. So I see what you're saying with the complete meta team you gave importable to climb a ladder with. But this is not made for that, it's made to be a gimmicky team that is made to throw a wrench at those at my college. Also you made it go from a 4 rock type that work in sandstorm, to a 1 rock type event pokemon that is completely unusable in my league.
^
You should have provided all this information from the start. Information such as not able to use event pokemon or that mega salamence is not banned as it is in Doubles ou is critical. To be honest, your format is more on the lines of Battle Spots, not Doubles OU, so I suggest you make that change too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)