Other [RU Beta] Kommo-o Offense Team

Introduction

The newest format of Sun and Moon is here and I decided to take a crack at the endless opportunities that comes with brand new formats. I have always wanted to use Kommo-o on a competitive team ever since Sun and Moon came out and RU finally gave him his chance to shine. While Kommo-o is outclassed by other dragons in OU and UU like Salamence, Kyurem-Black, and the Latis, he is a monster in RU. The basic idea behind the team as a whole was for Kommo-o to punch holes through the opponent's team to the point where one of my sweeper's checks were gone and could mop the rest of the game. So without further ado, here is my take on Kommo-o offense.

Teambuilding Process

Thanks sprites for trolling me. I chose Kommo-o because he is one of the most dominant offensive forces in the game and has bulk to back it up. Furthermore, his typing is fantastic offensively. I decided to use a choice specs set in order to tear defensive teams down and to OHKO/2HKO most offensive mons on the switch. Also, Kommo-o's signature move clanging scales if very spammable unlike Draco due to not receiving the SpA drop.

Next, I wanted a mon who could set up rocks but continue giving offensive pressure to the enemy. Nidoqueen is excellent at both of these roles as her typing allows her to beat most of the other viable rockers in the game (besides mons like Claydol and Gligar). I also wanted type a mon who could consistently beat Fairy types that Kommo-o could not touch if locked into one of his STAB moves. Overall Nidoqueen is just a fantastic mon who can take a hit, dish back twice as hard, and set up hazards.

Whenever I start off a team with a Dragon I always like to make a Dragon/Fairy/Steel core which led me to Silvally-Steel. I first put Doublade down but I found that Doublade was not killing nearly enough stuff, was always outsped, and kept getting destoryed by the various Normal/Flying types (due to being outsped and then not being able to touch them with Shadow Sneak while they used their coverage to kill me) that Kommo-o was also getting destroyed by. I then added banded Escavalier but found that I was still losing to the Flying types and still being outsped. So I came to SD Silvally-Steel. Is it fast enough to outspeed certain threats? Yeah. Can it beat flying types with its coverage? Yep. Typing is also fantastic as it helps Nidoqueen beat the Fairy types and helps against the aforementioned Flying types.

I needed a fairy to finish off the D/F/S core. I also needed a special sweeper and I decided on Comfey. This was another mon I was intrigued by and was curious to how it did against the fairy monsters like Florges and Gardevoir. Comfey has its little niche in Triage and Taunt. After a CM or two, +3 priority Draining Kiss is seriously denting the mons that don't resist it. I also added Comfey because the mons it got walled by were already handled by either Kommo-o or Queen.

I noticed a glaring weakness to EQ spam and the serious lack of immediate hard hitting physical attackers on my team. Furthermore, I needed my physical sweeper and Honchkrow seemed like the perfect pick. I decided to go with the Flyinium Z set because the reason I had issues with Honchkrow in Gen 6 was his susceptibility to being worn down threw LO and Brave Bird recoil. The basic premise is bring in Honchkrow on a favorable matchup, use Supersonic Skydrive to pummel a mon, get the moxie boost and sweep the rest of the enemy team.

The final mon had a few roles to fit. I wanted an electric type (in order to beat Mantine), to be a stall breaker, to hold a scarf, and to be off the ground (did not want Honchkrow to be my only ground answer). I first started with Rotom-Mow so I could beat Water/Ground mons but soon realized that I was constantly getting stuck using Leaf Storm and would be set up fodder. I also didn't have a reliable answer for steel types outside of Queen and would just be walled if she went down. Rotom-Heat also can cripple physical attackers with WoW and passive, defensive mons with trick.

The Team

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Sleep Talk
Kommo-o the destroyer of worlds (or defensive teams, take your pick). Seriously, if you're not a Fairy type you're going to have a rough time being able to counter this mon with a base 110 STAB choice specs boosted Clanging Scales. As if the that crazy high base move wasn't enough, Focus Blast can blast (no pun intended) away the bulky steel types that eat Clanging Scales. Flash cannon is there for Fairy switch ins such as Florges, Gardevoir, and opposing Comfey, and Sleep Talk is there to absorb sleep from Sleep Powder Roserade. Max SpA and Spe in order to hit as hard as possible and to be as fast and Timid to outspeed key threats such as Gardevoir and Lucario.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
Nidoqueen's main roles is to beat Fairies and set up rocks that let my sweepers turn their 2HKOs into OHKOs. The EVs put into speed are used to speed creep uninvested base 85. The rest are used to hit as hard as possible and dump the rest in the already impressive HP stat. Life Orb/Sheer Force hits like a truck with the almost perfect coverage of Earth Power and Sludge Wave. Thunderbolt is used as a secondary way of beating Mantine along with Araquanid as well.

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide
- Ice Fang
This set derives from the typical Parting Shot set seen a lot on ladder right now but it still works fantastically. The basic premise is to send it in a favorable matchup or a to take a resisted hit and click swords dance and start denting the enemy team. Multi Attack is a higher base power than Iron Head and hits extremely hard. Rock Slide is for flying types like Swellow, Honchkrow, and Dodrio, and Ice Fang is for Donphan (which has a pretty good chance to OHKO) and ground types in general. The EV spread, item, and ability are self explanatory.

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Synthesis
Comfey is starting to make a name for itself in the RU meta and for good reason. Priority attacks are always a plus, especially when they heal you and have even better priority than most out there (excluding fake out and e-speed). As long as opposing Steel and Poison types are gone, Comfey can sweep with ease. Taunt to shut down set-up sweepers, Calm Mind/Draining Kiss to allow myself to sweep, and Synthesis to heal off any damage I take while setting up Calm Minds. Life Orb to give that extra *umph* as Comfey needs all the extra power it can get. EV spread is for max damage output, and to center out its defenses.

Honchkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
What can be said about Honchkrow that hasn't been said before? Fantastic physical offense, priority, pursuit trapping, viable Z crystal holder, and extra coverage where its STAB doesn't hit. I generally bring this mon in after a death or predicted Ground type move, hit hard with supersonic skydrive, usually get a moxie boost either off that or a follow up move, then sweep with Sucker Punch/ Superpower. The second route I take with this mon is trapping Hoopa or other Psychic/Ghost types such as Mismagius, Cresselia, or Doublade and play Sucker Punch/Pursuit mind games which usually results in either the opposing mon receiving a dent in its HP or being outright fainted and myself receiving the Moxie boost. Adamant and EV spread to hit as hard as possible, Flyinium Z for Supersonic Skydrive, and Moxie for the sweep.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick
Finally, scarfed Rotom-Heat both hits like a truck and has the typing to hit almost everything at least neutrally. Not only that but he can get out of unfavorable matchups via Volt Switch, can disrupt physical attackers with WoW, make passive walls useless with Trick, and makes for a nice ground immunity. Helps Queen beat steel types and helps dent water types with Volt Switch and brings in a mon that can usually finish it off.

Conclusion

This team has served me well and has been one of few success with a very offensive team. One of my major concerns is water types (scald abusers in general stink because they can burn honch/ Silvally) and very bulky ground types such as Donphan and Gligar. Any response is greatly appreciated!

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Sleep Talk

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide
- Ice Fang

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Synthesis

Honchkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Last edited:
Hey I believe I played against you on the ladder at some point. Or someone using this team. Anyways the team is really solid but I feel like you need something stronger than Rotom-Heat to cover your team with a strong fire type. I think Scarf Moltres is a better fit in its spot. With a set of.

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: flame body
Modest Nature
- Air Slash/Hurricane
- Overheat
- HP (Electric) (for Mantine)
- U-Turn

This allows you the same coverage while also opening you up to a bit of bird spam between it and Crow. U-Turn maintains momentum and with a modest nature Moltres still hits 428 speed with scarf and hits like a truck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)