SV DOU Sand-Streams [Peaked #65 / 1708]

Decided to use this fun team for returning to DOU and I found that this team worked extremely well. The reason why I decided to use sand was because I found that it looked like the weakest of all the weathers due to its almost lack of abusers. Despite this I was determined to make this seemingly useless work and climb the ladder with it. Although this team was a bit difficult to work with at first (For some perspective I tilted to 1360 once), as soon I fixed those little problems I was happy with the way it came out.

Teambuilding Process
:tyranitar: :excadrill:
This sand core is the obvious choice and the framework of this team. Tyranitar offers a very offensive sand setter who can often add as a switch-in to Snow, Rain, and especially Sun. Its ability to disrupt not only weathers but also Pokémon that run Focus Sash is extremely useful. Excadrill on the other hand offers a great win condition that is faster than most Pokémon under sand even with a Adamant nature. To put it in perspective it out-speeds fast mons such as Choice-Scarf Chi-Yu and Chein-Pao.
:tyranitar: :excadrill: :amoonguss:
Tyranitar and Excadrill share a nasty amount of weaknesses such as water and fighting, and Amoonguss is a great cover for these threats. Its main use is to either redirect attacks that may KO my Pokémon while also putting other threats to sleep. It also offers healing to my Pokémon which is very useful in certain scenarios.
:tyranitar: :excadrill: :amoonguss: :tornadus:
I needed another way of speed control out of the sand and tornadus is extremely useful for this with its tailwind. Other uses include its ability to stop opposing shenanigans and also serving as a actual threat to fighting types.
:tyranitar: :excadrill: :amoonguss: :tornadus: :kyurem:
Originally had Volcanion in this slot but then I realized that my Landorus-I and rain matchups were simply horrendous. To ameliorate this I decided to add Kyurem as its matchup was really nice against these two. It also gave me a special wall breaker that could deal with physical tanks.
:tyranitar: :excadrill: :amoonguss: :tornadus: :kyurem: :Ogerpon-Hearthflame:
Wanted another offensive mons to cover some attacking holes in my team and Ogerpon was a good option for this. Its speed and unique offensive typing allows it to deal with a lot of the metagame.

Team
:sv/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail

Decided to use a bulky set for Tyranitar due to its low speed and high-defenses. Stealth Rock is a useful move to cause the opposing Pokémon to be slowly worn out as soon as it goes in. Rock-Slide is a very nice spread-move to have, and while not hitting as hard as Stone Edge it ability to flinch while also catching opposing mons thinking that they could switch in. Knock off is its strongest dark move and provides useful utility. And dragon tail provides a phasing move that is useful for setup Pokémon. It has 72 speed IV's to hit 352 under tailwind and to out-speed the 110 speed tier. It has Sitrus Berry to increase its longevity on the pitch, allowing it to come in multiple times and set up sand. Finally I used the Fairy-type as it is able to invert its matchup against fighting types.

:sv/excadrill:
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Protect

To some degree the main attraction, Excadrill provides a very good win condition for my team. High-Horsepower offers a great single-target Ground attack that can OHKO offensive mons. Iron Head is its other STAB-move and is useful for sniping mons resistant to Ground. Swords Dance is used to make progress against more bulkier mons and turns it into a OHKO machine. Finally Protect is used to conserve itself in cases that it gets targeted. Decided to maximize its attacking output with a Life-Orb and a Adamant nature while using a Water tera-type so it survives a stray fire/water move.

:sv/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 244 HP / 208 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Clear Smog

Amoonguss provides a key back-bone to my team. Spore is necessary on this set as it offers a complete shutdown on almost any Pokémon. Rage Powder is also needed as it provides redirection of dangerous attacks pointed at my more fragile mons. Pollen Puff is useful for healing my Pokemon while also acting as a last resort against Psychic and Grass types. Finally, Clear Smog is nice in case a Pokemon tries to set-up on it. I used a sample EV spread and its Sitrus Berry is nice for longevity alongside its ability Regenerator. I used a Water tera-type in case I need it to tank Fire and Water type moves.

:sv/tornadus:
Tornadus (M) @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bleakwind Storm
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Protect

Tornadus is absolutely crucial for this team to function thanks to its support movepool. Bleakwind Storm is a very good spread-move and is very nice against the rain matchup. Tailwind provides the key-speed control outside of Sand that this team desperately needed against faster Pokémon and opposing tailwind. Taunt is useful against other Pokémon trying to change the speed / setting up. Finally, Protect is nice in case I need to setup tailwind the following turn. It has defensive investment to jump in and out to set-up tailwind, and has a Covert Cloak to prevent moves such as Fake-Out to impede its moves. I decided on a Steel tera-type to flip its matchup against Rock and Ice type moves.

:sv/kyurem:
Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Protect
I decided to use Kyurem to improve my matchups against rain-teams but also as a special wallbreaker. Substitute is to increase its longevity on the pitch and not get forced to be switched out. Freeze-Dry is necessary as it beats the Water, Flying, Grass, and Ground types this team would otherwise struggle against. Earth Power provides a strong move against Fire and Rock-types and Protect is used to keep up to not be impeded. I used maximum special output so it can make sure of those OHKO's against Water and Flying types and its leftovers and 252 HP EV's are used to increase its longevity.

:sv/Ogerpon-Hearthflame:
Ogerpon-Hearthflame (F) @ Hearthflame Mask
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Follow Me
- Spiky Shield
Ogerpon is a nice threat against some mons with its great offensive type. Ivy Cudgel is necessary as it provides a great Fire-Stab that can KO a bunch of neutral threats. Horn Leech is good grass stab at it heals itself while also offering it a grass STAB move that doesn't either kill itself or miss often. Follow me uses its good defensive type to redirect moves that are stronger against its teammates, and Spiky Shield proves a Protect option that hurts the opponent if its hit with a contact move. Used with maximum offensive output so that it fulfils its main role is to out speed and KO the opponent.

Weaknesses
:pelipper: :archaludon:
Rain is a good threat as it not only has super effective matchups against my team but it somewhat nullifies one of my win conditions in excadrill. It can usually be dealth with Kyurem and Amoonguss but it is usually hard to break down.
:chien-pao: :rillaboom: :kingambit:
Priority moves is a annoyance as it nullifies my speed-control methods such as sand-rush and tailwind. Usually redirection can help with these moves but it can easily force out one of my Pokémon that would otherwise be in a winning position.

:ninetales-alola: :kyurem:
Snow is probably my worst matchup as none of my team outright resists the ice type and my defensive core of amoonguss and tornadus is weak to it. Kyurem and Ogerpon usually helps but if taken lightly, Snow teams can sweep this team.

Conclusion
Overall, this was a very fun team that I very enjoyed playing. This team also helped to spark a joy in playing doubles that I had not felt in for some time now. Being able to use Pokémon that usually go under the radar and make them excellent is truly a nice feeling while teambuilding. While this team isn't exactly a meta-crusher, I feel like its good matchups can definitely be useful in certain matchups.

Team + Proof of Rank

:tyranitar: :excadrill: :amoonguss: :tornadus: :kyurem: :Ogerpon-Hearthflame:

Screenshot 2024-04-10 181308.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)